Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If a 24H virtual car race is too high brow for you, the 24H series is also holding an actual automobile race at Portimao for 24h starting soon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_yjx3_kk8

Any port in a storm I guess, I think 24h series is gonna have its biggest viewership numbers this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've never even heard of it so

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ByKolles ByKollesing it up already.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basticle posted:

I've never even heard of it so

It's basically a series for the rich guys who can't afford a Blancpain spot. They only usually get attention early in the year because I think the 24h of Dubai runs right between the Rolex 24 and Bathurst 12h so everyone's in an enduro mood.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

orange juche posted:

Any Portimao in a storm I guess

:v:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's not real le mans but it will have to do.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's not LeMans, it's just made to look like LeMans.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have enough beer to make it look real

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Is the race worth watching or can I go to sleep after my all nighter

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

It's basically a series for the rich guys who can't afford a Blancpain spot. They only usually get attention early in the year because I think the 24h of Dubai runs right between the Rolex 24 and Bathurst 12h so everyone's in an enduro mood.

It’s run by the Creventic group, and is basically an endurance club series for rich guys. They even split the 24 hours between multiple days so people can go to bed and pick the race up later.

That said, they were the first to introduce Code 60, which has led to the Virtual Safety Car in many other series.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

They even split the 24 hours between multiple days so people can go to bed and pick the race up later.

what in tarnation

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do they get their manservants to do the racing for them?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Basticle posted:

what in tarnation

This is mostly so they can run at circuits that have noise limitations or curfews at night, or without getting exceptions to the curfews or noise restrictions

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

24 Hours of Lemons does the same thing I think, though in their case I remember them saying once any time they do an unbroken 24h race they get way fewer entries because the Saturday night pit party is one of the reasons people do Lemons.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm guessing they parc ferme the cars.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I once used the same loophole to announce my prowess at 24-hour tantric sex

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Sipag just did a rig change while parked on the mulsanne straight, I love this dumb idiot sim racing bullshit actually

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Spaced God posted:

Sipag just did a rig change while parked on the mulsanne straight, I love this dumb idiot sim racing bullshit actually

Now you got me wanting pit stops but to swap out someone's setup. little air hammers for the monitor plugs

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

lol red flag

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So how long did it take for rFactor 2 to poo poo the bed this time.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
conspiracy theory time: they brought it down to put Nando's team back in lmao

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Spaced God posted:

lol red flag

wait what? i was eating and missed it

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zeta Acosta posted:

wait what? i was eating and missed it

the server was crashing or about to crash so they red flagged it and rebooted

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011
Bug has been an issue with the game going back a few months, results in cars on track not visible to incoming drivers. Devs are terrible at their jobs.

If iRacing had an active prototype, they would be hosting this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I appreciate this hopefully being the final nail in rF2's coffin.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The irony is by rF2 standards this has been a pretty trouble-free race, just the bugs have screwed the 4 most popular drivers in the field (Lando, Max, Charles and Nando) so they're going to get ruined.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We are definitely getting some night time at le mans vibes with the commentators just shooting the poo poo from question from twitter.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

njsykora posted:

I appreciate this hopefully being the final nail in rF2's coffin.

The driving model/tyre model/physics are the best there is bar absolutely none. Online...less so.

Iracing has been torn apart by real world drivers endlessly over the last few weeks.

Everything else are simcade and pure games all the way down.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Letting Fernando back in the race was Chekhov’s Rifle, and it finally fired. https://twitter.com/fiawec/status/1272034089651122177?s=21

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Red flag again...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Red flag again...

I turned on the stream to check the status, and they're talking to Sir Jackie Stewart with a red flag on. I figure he's talking about how the rFactor 2 servers have the consistency of a warm Mars bar.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I turned on the stream to check the status, and they're talking to Sir Jackie Stewart with a red flag on. I figure he's talking about how the rFactor 2 servers have the consistency of a warm Mars bar.

Hey they've been mostly up for the race, there was a ~25 min downtime early in the race and then this which is still ongoing lol

Not a good showing for if you want people to think your sim software is worth a poo poo though. I've been up for the entirety of this loving thing so im feeling a bit foggy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How in the gently caress is bykolles in 2nd with less than 3h left?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

orange juche posted:

How in the gently caress is bykolles in 2nd with less than 3h left?

unrealistic simulation

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Vando posted:

unrealistic simulation

That's just 2020 in general :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
i think a bit of virtual lemans immersion is lost by not mandating some sort of race attire to everybody. You get the young edgelords eracers with full suit and alpinestars gloves while real drivers might as well race with a pipe and slippers, dressing up like a retired dad(case in point Alonso and Fisichella).

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
well they are retired dads so this checks out

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I always laughed at the guys wearing gloves, but holy poo poo do my hands get clammy after about an hour of racing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I always laughed at the guys wearing gloves, but holy poo poo do my hands get clammy after about an hour of racing.

If they're wearing gloves on a direct drive wheel there's a good reason. Smack a wall at high speed or have the wheel wig out and it will rip the poo poo out of your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
After ending the virtual lemans live stream, eurosport started trasmitting the virtual edition of wtcr. They seems to be using raceroom, which looks to have a better collision modeling than the rf2 build used for lemans. If you are desperate it's a quick appetizer