Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hollywood has the tendency to learn nothing from it's mistakes. In this case it's botching would-be franchises in the first installment. Artemis Fowl is yet another dead YA property to throw onto the pile. What else am I missing?

Seventh Son
City of Ember
Spiderwick Chronciles
Cirque De Freak
Percy Jackson
Stormbreaker
Eragon

Beautiful Creatures and Vampire Academy both come to mind. I was going to say Warm Bodies but looking it up now that seems like it was an original idea.

After all this time, are Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games the only successful examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like the problem is they go into it expecting the reader base to show up and carry a series, rathe than just making a good movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blows my mind how successful the "live action" remakes are. they're rear end.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked warm bodies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Clowner posted:

I liked warm bodies

Warm Bodies was surprisingly excellent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Golden compass

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Golden compass

Has HBO’s attempt at that franchise fared any better?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bridge to Terabithia
The House With a Clock in its Walls
I Am Number Four

Edit: poo poo am I wrong about that first one. My memory is that it came and went, but apparently it made over $130 million on a $25mil budget?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 13, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Bridge to Terabithia

Everyone going nuts over what the movie was really about was hilarious because it was required reading when I was growing up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That reminds me: good job Netflix on carrying on with the Kangaroo Jack bullshit marketing.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

That reminds me: good job Netflix on carrying on with the Kangaroo Jack bullshit marketing.

To be fair the bullshit marketing is more memorable than the movie.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

quote:

Worst of all, Artemis Fowl has no faith in its audience’s ability to handle a protagonist who’s not out to save the world. It doesn’t even trust its audience to follow its story without endless, draggy exposition. The film is narrated by the tragically inescapable Josh Gad, who plays a dwarf named Mulch Diggums who can tunnel by unhinging his jaw and expelling the dirt he’s eating out of his rear end in a top hat at an intense velocity (as spectacles go, it’s … haunting). 

Might have to watch this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Haunting? I read another review which said that was the best part of the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Unkempt posted:

Might have to watch this.

the most insane thing is, that's directly from the books

yes, including him launching the dirt back out his rear end at cannon velocity

those books got loving weird really, really fast

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gonna need a Mulch Diggums mod for Deep Rock Galactic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the most insane thing is, that's directly from the books

yes, including him launching the dirt back out his rear end at cannon velocity

those books got loving weird really, really fast

The whole tone of the book is something I figured Hollywood wouldn't know what to do with- it's got a goofy sense of humour, what with 'LEP recon' and all, while the characters take things seriously as fairies fly around on mechanical wings with laser guns and the cigar-smoking chief chews out the hotshot rookie. Speaking of, Holly is more of the protagonist for most of the book I thought, though she spends most of it kidnapped. The author did the Hitchhiker's Guide final book based on the author's notes iirc.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've never read the books, but from the bits I've heard about it over the years its essentially "Fantasy Lupin III for kids", is that about right?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Gonna need a Mulch Diggums mod for Deep Rock Galactic.

He is more than likely already in Dwarf Fortress

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I read the first book and it's nothing like the movie describes, it's more a kid who's a criminal genius who gets involved with weird magic poo poo.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah Artemis Fowl is a pretty poor adaptation of the book. The movie feels like there’s a half hour chunk of movie missing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole premise is literally a genius pre-teen kid of an Irish crime lord discovers that fairies are real, with the opener being him and his bodyguard locating a drunken homeless fairy and bribing her to get to take photos of her book of magic, and using that to capture a fairy who's trying to recharge her magic and hold her for ransom. Most of the book is the resulting standoff between the preteen criminal mastermind and his badass bodyguard, and the fairy police in a nearly unprecedented situation for them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chairman Capone posted:

Beautiful Creatures and Vampire Academy both come to mind. I was going to say Warm Bodies but looking it up now that seems like it was an original idea.

After all this time, are Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games the only successful examples?

Maze runner for to limp to completion.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a strong correlation between a YA movie's success and the success of its source material. I'm not in the target demo for these things, but my cousins and such were way into Hunger Games but Percy Jackson or Vampire's Assistant or whatever barely made an impact. Twilight, like Hunger Games, had a lot of fans both in and out of the demo, and I'd guess based on the fact that four (?) of them got released, Divergent was probably a bit hit, too.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Has HBO’s attempt at that franchise fared any better?

I've never read the books or seen the other adaptation but I liked it. With one big huge exception it has a good cast.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From what I remember of the book, the entire motivation of Artemis Fowl is that he's ultimately doing everything to heal his sick mother. And from what I've read about the movie, they switch it so that his motivation is to rescue his kidnapped father, and his mother is killed off before the movie begins. Another great writing move from the progressive ally Disney!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rochallor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a strong correlation between a YA movie's success and the success of its source material. I'm not in the target demo for these things, but my cousins and such were way into Hunger Games but Percy Jackson or Vampire's Assistant or whatever barely made an impact. Twilight, like Hunger Games, had a lot of fans both in and out of the demo, and I'd guess based on the fact that four (?) of them got released, Divergent was probably a bit hit, too.

Pretty much every series they've made movies out of were super successful as books. I worked as the receiving manager at a bookstore during the boom.

It especially sucked when the Hunger Games movies came out because they shipped us several hundred copies of each book so the boxes took up at least 1/4 of our already not large enough stock room for months. Honey most of the kids that wanted the book already bought it before the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't remember much of the first Artemis Fowl book but the movie isn't that bad? He's still a genius rear end in a top hat child and not the "happy go lucky kid" that the old greenlit thread decided he was. Instead of being part of a family of organized crime his family still stole things but they were fairy artifacts. His mom being dead instead of just severely ill is a bit lovely but Disney movies can't have two parents for reasons

That said i haven't finished the thing so maybe there's a major drop in quality at some point but this is a perfectly average movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Artemis Fowl in the books is a weird genius kid who has to make an effort to act more kiddy so he doesn't creep most people out, and he's flat out looking for money to rebuild his family's criminal empire- curing his mother's mental illness is basically a last-minute bonus he trades half the ransom for to show he's not just greedy. Things get complicated in later books after he does rescue his father, and his parents want to go straight so he has to hide his criminal and supernatural dealings from them.

It sounds like the movie does the typical modern thing of simplifying things that didn't need to be and removing moral complexity even when it was the whole point that made things interesting.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I don't remember much of the first Artemis Fowl book but the movie isn't that bad? He's still a genius rear end in a top hat child and not the "happy go lucky kid" that the old greenlit thread decided he was. Instead of being part of a family of organized crime his family still stole things but they were fairy artifacts. His mom being dead instead of just severely ill is a bit lovely but Disney movies can't have two parents for reasons

That said i haven't finished the thing so maybe there's a major drop in quality at some point but this is a perfectly average movie

He doesn't have two parents in the books. If I remember correctly, his mom is alive but severely ill in the first book, whereas his father is completely MIA and presumed dead (and finding out WTF happened to him is, iirc, part of the second book's plot, along with elves fighting the Russian mafia).

Honestly, it's kind of hilarious, because for all the effort they put into making it a potential franchise, nearly every change they made from the book ends up dicking over some aspect of the later books. It's like they knew they were doing it too late and actively tried to shoot themselves in the foot, knowing there was no chance in hell they were getting sequels anyways.

Also, Josh Gad is terrible casting for Mulch, and I say that as someone who doesn't hate Gad as much as most (he's fine in the right roles). Charlie Day would have actually been my pick.

e: I have a huge soft spot for these books on account of "they're basically what would happen if Lupin III got in a teleporter accident with Shadowrun." They're not high literature, even factoring in that they're for kids, but they've got a drat good hook and a really fun cast of characters, and that carries them a long way.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Phanatic posted:

Bridge to Terabithia

Edit: poo poo am I wrong about that first one. My memory is that it came and went, but apparently it made over $130 million on a $25mil budget?

The fact that you included in this list speaks to the marketing campaign. From what I can remember, the movie came out in a lull between Harry Potter and Chronicle of Narnia releases and sold itself as a straight fantasy adventure along the same lines.The trailer is a bunch of CGI-heavy scenes that, in the movie, are a few seconds long. The commercials doubled down further, putting special emphasis on the troll and pixies.

My parents took my siblings I out to see it when it came out, expecting a light evening of family fun. Instead, we left the theater bawling and had a sobering conversation about death on the ride home.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

QuoProQuid posted:

The fact that you included in this list speaks to the marketing campaign. From what I can remember, the movie came out in a lull between Harry Potter and Chronicle of Narnia releases and sold itself as a straight fantasy adventure along the same lines.The trailer is a bunch of CGI-heavy scenes that, in the movie, are a few seconds long. The commercials doubled down further, putting special emphasis on the troll and pixies.

My parents took my siblings I out to see it when it came out, expecting a light evening of family fun. Instead, we left the theater bawling and had a sobering conversation about death on the ride home.

I've heard more than one story about people watching it with family after a death in the family thinking it was a light-hearted romp.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

For some reason I always just assumed Artemis Fowl was about a talking chicken detective. I'm pretty disappointed now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
From the trailer I thought AF was Boys in Black

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems like YA novel adaptations are having almost the problem of video games or maybe anime adaptations, even not even considering how difficult the material may be to film; they make a bunch of baffling changes for no apparent reason, obviously building up to a franchise but making decisions that gently caress over even theoretical future movies, and general seem to have no idea what people liked about the original material while failing to hold up as a movie on its own merits either.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Josh Gad is the one who won the contest to be in the Artemis Fowl movie, when he was a kid.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems like YA novel adaptations are having almost the problem of video games or maybe anime adaptations, even not even considering how difficult the material may be to film; they make a bunch of baffling changes for no apparent reason, obviously building up to a franchise but making decisions that gently caress over even theoretical future movies, and general seem to have no idea what people liked about the original material while failing to hold up as a movie on its own merits either.

Isn't this just the case with novel adaptions in general? The difference in length between a novel and a film means you have to make a lot of cuts and adjustments. It might just be that with a YA adaption, the studio feels more pressure to not make too many changes because there's a percieved need to appease the fans of the novel, and also (in some cases) because some bits of the story are required to set up parts of the next story, and so on. There's plenty of poo poo novel adaptions where you can tell what is tripping the film up is the adaptation process.

I think Harry Potter ended up working quite well in this respect because the first three books are very standalone (and thus allow for more liberal editing), but you can see the same issues appear as the series go on and the films get longer and longer until the last one got split in two to fit everything in. And even the early ones feel a bit odd at times because each 2 hour film is based on a book that spans an entire school year.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the problem, imho, is two-fold: the first is a matter of scale. what constitutes success in literature is several magnitudes smaller than what constitutes success in film. even if we assume every artemis fowl book sale translates to a movie ticket, that's still only 21 million tickets, which is somewhere below Madagascar 3 in terms of tickets sold and probably a huge flop for an intended franchise.

the other problem is the usual one of the studio having whack ideas about what audiences do and do not consider palatable and making a lot of decisions by committee that muddle whatever was compelling about the source material. i personally haven't read artemis fowl but "child supervillain defrauds the magical world" sounds a lot more interesting than the warmed-over harry potter aesthetic disney seems to go for in every original live action movie it puts out.

e: in artemis fowl's case, it also probably doesn't help that this movie is coming out almost two decades after the book series was last relevant

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 14, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn't the Golden Compass movie make some change that would've made adapting the other books virtually impossible.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Josh Gad extreme amount of voice over starts as soon as the movie begins and rarely lets up. I can’t believe they thought that voice was anything but awful. Real “Little Nicky” levels of “who the gently caress told him to speak that way and why in the world did you make him do it the entire film?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

The book blindsides people too. I vaguely remember the male protagonist comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat on the book, to go with the child death.