Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Telsa Cola posted:

Rolling out of a speeding car and screaming "gently caress you deer" as I unload an entire machine gun belt at them.

A man with the head of a bald eagle wipes a single tear from his eye at the beauty of this display before flying off into the sunset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fuuuuuuck fungal infections. I was literally in the middle of crafting an antifungal drug and it broke both my arms and hosed me :negative: Now I'm driving around at max pain with two broken arms desperately trying to find somewhere that might have antifungals in stock and I can't even find a city to die in :v:

e; oh my god I'm the dumbest bitch ever, after driving around for hours then running out of tramadol I was looking through my RV to see what painkillers I had available and I spotted... five antifungal meds :downs:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 14, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Organize your loots :engleft:

Also lmao at the mental image of turning the steering wheel with your teeth because your arms are broken

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tin Tim posted:

Organize your loots :engleft:

Also lmao at the mental image of turning the steering wheel with your teeth because your arms are broken

I normally do but I'm currently on the road in a humvee I've only customized a little, and stuff has had to go wherever it fits :negative:

also lol, now I'm going to have that imagine as well

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I turn off fungals now, since as far as I can tell the primary thing they attack is your framerate

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

After killing fungal towers once just to prove I could I have never had a world with fungus since because they are nothing but a slog and a chore. Not even a challenge, just another frustration to deal with. My gratitude to whoever made the no fungus mod.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I seem to have hit some combination of buttons that makes the display not show tiles I can't see, like I forget them immediately as soon as they are out of view. Anyone know how I reverse that?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Sounds like you might have turned off map memory? Try {

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

A dev has taken it upon themselves to fix the gaps in vehicles when they are at an angle.

So... Expect great features with terrible bugs. This will break something.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Inglonias posted:

A dev has taken it upon themselves to fix the gaps in vehicles when they are at an angle.

So... Expect great features with terrible bugs. This will break something.

Okay. They have me dead to rights on this one.

I'm proud of you Cataclysm Dev Team and if you make this happen I take back all the mean things I said about you.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Sounds like you might have turned off map memory? Try {

Thanks!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I went a little too hard on the mutant cockroach meat and now my character is doing the alien hand. Is there any way to purge toxins out yourself? I didn't even know eating mutant cockroach was bad for you.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cataclysm: I didn't even know eating mutant cockroach was bad for you

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eagerly await them implementing a food inspection system.

Didn't check out that meat you scarfed down? Well enjoy gestating mutant tapeworms that bore their way out of you because realism.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

And the only indication you have them is that it prints "Your stomach churns" once every few hours, often in the middle of thousands of lines of combat spam. There is no way in-game to learn what this message indicates, because it's "immersive" that way.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

A White Guy posted:

I went a little too hard on the mutant cockroach meat and now my character is doing the alien hand. Is there any way to purge toxins out yourself? I didn't even know eating mutant cockroach was bad for you.

It wear off eventually after a few days, assuming you're not still eating the meat.

You have stopped eating it, right?

I don't think there's anything you can take to speed up the process.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah, I've stopped eating the mutant meat, and I'm by and large getting it out of my stores of food. I've gone from unnerving to concerning symptoms, which I guess means that it's slowly coming out of me. Because of the lowered immunity, I also constantly have the common cold.

I also discovered my diet of mutant meat, poo poo I find in cupboards, candy, and my rapidly growing stockpile of dehydrated fruit have all contributed to make my character a real life goon. I think it's a mark of honor that I've managed to become morbidly obese in an apocalypse.

So fellas, don't chow down on that delicious Cockroach bratwurst, it's actually not good for you at all.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
I used to constantly have problems with my characters getting fat and being sick all the time.

Then I discovered the junk food intolerance trait. Take it, and never worry about your health stat again!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you think junk food intolerance is going to keep me from trebucheting the entire contents of a snack machine into my face, you don't know me very well.

Seriously, though, unless your town situation is absolutely dire, you have enough varied food to pick and choose what you eat. I tend to limit my junk food to pretzels, jerky, and meat sticks. Although my current character has the garden pots mod and has been subsisting almost entirely on carrots and tomatoes.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I'm finding it really hard to goon it up in the latest experimental patches. Used to be you could eat two entire pizzas and a 2L bottle of soda without flinching, but now when I settle down in a place for any length of time, the first thing I craft is a mop. It seems a whole lot less food will have you stuff to bursting and throwing up like Mr. Creosote.

That's aside from the extra vomiting from antibiotics. Tried to cauterize a wound out in the field rather than drive back home, and apparently it immediately turned infected? Is that a new thing?

Took a single dose of antibiotics, intending to take one every 12 hours - which is how I think they're supposed to work in Cata - but apparently a single dose completely cured the infection overnight. Just like the doctors recommend - if you feel better after taking your antibiotics, just stop!

Left me vomiting for 24 hours from taking a single pill, mind. Hence the mop.

Glad to see all that work on making the game serious and realistic isn't in vain.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 16, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cauterizing always progressed the infection on a failure, but at some point they drastically increased the degree to which it does so. So cauterization is, as far as I can tell, utterly useless now. Instead, you want to craft cattail jelly and use that to clean blue bites. It’s trivial to make, takes nothing but cattails, and is in several survival books.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

You can antiseptic deep wounds to avoid the infection altogether, which is why its worth it to hold onto that antiseptic from a first aid kit.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
gonna miss the days of surviving on nothing but bread.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Motherfucker posted:

gonna miss the days of surviving on nothing but bread.

As the good lord said, man shall not live on bread alone.

After all, it's lacking several critical amino acids and micronutrients. A proper diet can be achieved by continually raiding the endless expanse of New England's various military and scientific installations for MREs. As god intended.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
manna, ready to eat

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

As the good lord said, man shall not live on bread alone.

After all, it's lacking several critical amino acids and micronutrients. A proper diet can be achieved by continually raiding the endless expanse of New England's various military and scientific installations for MREs. As god intended.

It's a good thing this game doesn't simulate dying of impacted bowels because actually living on MREs is cruel and unusual. We had this brilliant weight saving idea of eating nothing but MREs for a two week backpacking trip. The resulting Godzilla dump I took a day or two after we got back almost ended me. Not to mention waking yourself up in the middle of the night because you just Dutch ovened yourself with the most hideous flatuence to ever leak between a pair of buttcheeks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You need to supplement with those energy gels, I have a work colleague who does ultramarathons and he said that they give you the uber shits.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Apparently the Pythagorean theorem is real in Cataclysm, which is highly irregular for roguelikes. I just noticed this now, that diagonal movements take almost 50 percent longer

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Apparently the Pythagorean theorem is real in Cataclysm, which is highly irregular for roguelikes. I just noticed this now, that diagonal movements take almost 50 percent longer

I mean who doesn't get slowed down when they aren't moving in one of the cardinal directions? I remember fondly the many footraces humankind has had to reschedule when it was discovered that some fool had set the starting line on a southeasternly vector.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Circular distances use Pythagorean to increase the movement cost of diagonals, I'm not sure if that stacks by summing or multiplying the movement cost of difficult terrain.
I thought it was off by default, should be in the world options somewhere.

It is highly irregular for roguelikes but as Kevin said when it was brought up in a PR, I don't much care what other roguelikes do, especially since I don't
consider dda to be a roguelike.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

And weirdly, zombies seem to go for the diagonals more than orthoganals. I often do the 'kite zombies into a fire' thing early on, and they really seek to go into them diagonally.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there some bug that makes all labs the one-floor office kind? I've been to like eight in a row with that kind of setup and not a one with an autodoc.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

One is called “lab” and the other is called “science lab”. I think the 1 floor variant is “lab” but don’t quote me on that.

Autodocs also spawn in at least one doctors office layout so that’s an option.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've found at least 2 auto docs in basements, in some rooms slightly hidden behind the fridges.

Oddly they both also had pools in them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

megane posted:

Cauterizing always progressed the infection on a failure, but at some point they drastically increased the degree to which it does so. So cauterization is, as far as I can tell, utterly useless now. Instead, you want to craft cattail jelly and use that to clean blue bites. It’s trivial to make, takes nothing but cattails, and is in several survival books.

Except when cauterization works and saves you from an infection you were otherwise very likely to die of :eng101:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you do it quickly you can do a cauterization, then if that fails do a disinfectant cleaning and not worry, if you really gotta stretch your stocks. It is time sensitive though, so be careful, you don't want to wait a few hours then try, or the wound will go to infection right away if it fails.

God wound care is so dumb in this.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I've never had to cauterize because I always had disinfectant/booze available.

...I forgot to mention that hard alcohol works too.

E: matches IRL; every time I bash my shin open on the coffee table, I splash a little vodka/whiskey on it and my leg hasn't fallen off yet.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 17, 2020

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I always have more than enough disinfectant from first aid kits. In fact I usually find at least 2 in the starting shelter and each one has a bottle with 10 disinfectant.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Like someone posted earlier, I always just bathe in cattail jelly after outings where I take any damage. As soon as you get the recipe, you have no excuse for ever getting infected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, gooing yourself up at night is pretty good until you get some other form of regeneration.

Or multiple.

Cyborg muties 4 lyfe.