Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

D. Ebdrup posted:

Only took me 143 hours to get the damaged singularity engine in order to craft the SETA device. orz

I think I got it within a few hours, but I have literally never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

have you tried exiting the sector and coming back?

Yeah I did that, and also did saving and exiting the game, shooting the ship and it was just stuck on undocking, luckily I got the entire cost back in selling

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Nah, sadly the teladi station is unobtainable, however, if you use emp's on the hat trade station 8m dock, you can get the 8m. although the 3m6s is superior.
Also, +1 to the 'verse cringe, i usually mock the gently caress out of cignatics who compare a janky shitpile with ridiculously expensive assets to any game, be it x4 or elite. those credulous nutters are the brown sea fcs.
Likesay, i restarted countless times, before i got the devstarts mod, I got the seta 3-4 times by hanging out neat xenon gates/mining areas, but now thats gladly behind me, Indeed, peoples feeling about singleplayer games never ceases to be amusing to meh, but, eh, Ovid's gotta Ove.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
The easiest way to get SETA, even though you don't actually need it in X4 - wait for Xenon to put a station in one of the friendly sectors, then sit next to it, killing the endless stream of unarmed drones, their analog of civilian traffic. These drones drop all of SETA parts, although programmable field thingy is at least 10x more common than other two, hacking tools and their parts, spacefly eggs, and some other less valuable stuff. And you can do it in a tiniest fighter with a peashooter gun.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

What's the XP mod that people use? Been enjoying the game since I bought it a couple of days ago, deep sense of sad personal satisfaction when my Solar Energy factory made its first sale.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I use DFSI, works really well:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1759853091

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also buy the 8M trade dock as of I think 3.0

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Thank you!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Olewithmilk posted:

What's the XP mod that people use? Been enjoying the game since I bought it a couple of days ago, deep sense of sad personal satisfaction when my Solar Energy factory made its first sale.

I've been using these two:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2047655082
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2050537227

The first lets you buy seminars from traders, so you can stock up. The second speeds up exp gains, I believe.

I might have to check this one out, too.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 10, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just to confirm - does anyone recall if the BUC plot require me to dock at any HOP ports, to start missions etc?
Since I've built up my fleet and I'm about to go and fight them - but I'd also like to complete the BUC plot (assuming there's more, after I finish building this fleet for them) at some point too, without needing to grind rep.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Beware that when you click the randomize button in the station planner, if you have any loadouts (weapons + shields) on modules, they will be removed when you randomize.

This includes defense modules.

Which is stupid.

I've got like 8 defense stations where the defense modules have no turrets.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Any of you have issues where your large trade ships don't follow the planned route? Unless I micromanage the route, it fucks off and flies on a circular, longer path than the original calculated one. Any thoughts for resolution or mods that will help?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fart Cannon posted:

Any of you have issues where your large trade ships don't follow the planned route? Unless I micromanage the route, it fucks off and flies on a circular, longer path than the original calculated one. Any thoughts for resolution or mods that will help?

I think it calculates the shorter route by estimated travel time, so for slow travel speed ships going around half the map on circular highway at 10000 m/s wins over crossing one sector regularly at its 800 m/s travel speed.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Last I knew, capitals also calculated it the same way and treated the highway as a valid pathway it could take. Leading to those silly long routes

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Well, it's taking a route that is different than the blue one marked, you would think that blue route would be the one that the ship intends to take.

I noticed this behavior in vanilla which truly isnt much of an issue, but it's pretty annoying on the 105 sector DeadAir GateOverhaul, taking specifically only large ships on routes that if I'm not micromanaging sector blacklists, will get them killed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GPS' have a 'use shortest distance' vs 'use fastest travel time' switch, X4 should have the same option for captains of a high enough level.
Or perhaps it already does, and my captains just aren't high enough level?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Remember also that you may have blacklisted a sector it may otherwise had gone through, or set up a blacklist rule that automatically does so.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just started playing after checking this thread off an on since release. So far, I don’t feel hopelessly lost! I’m partway into the Experiment mission where I need to buy a dummy ship to blow up. Is there a consensus on a good mining ship to set up on a route? What should I be looking to do early on?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Power Walrus posted:

Just started playing after checking this thread off an on since release. So far, I don’t feel hopelessly lost! I’m partway into the Experiment mission where I need to buy a dummy ship to blow up. Is there a consensus on a good mining ship to set up on a route? What should I be looking to do early on?

Elite is the cheapest ship, iirc, for your sacrifice. Any place with nividium and a trade station (that is not paranid) should be ok for sector mine, the split mining ship is comically fast, you should have enough standings with free families to buy one, although, the slower teladi one should hold more ore, Rogueys site can help you, also, there is a free osprey (teladi medium ship, a micro carrier), somewhere or other, you can park your sacrificial sheep in top of it, and tell the pilot to work elsewhere, and choose the osprey, then pilot it to its dooooom, feeding two dogs with one bone.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I've started my war against HOP (RIP if BUC need me to engage peacefully with HOP stations at any point in their plotline :v:) and destroyed three large fleets encroaching upon the PAR equipment dock+shipyard in Trinity Sanctum III*. It's pretty impressive, looking at the carnage that has been wrought, in major battles like that - there were around 20 blown HOP destroyers strewn about, among heaps of smaller ships.

I then pushed into HOP territory to take out their defence platform in Unholy Retribution as part of a 17.5mil credit contract with PAR. (Once that's done I'll withdraw, then get another juicy deal to seize a ship or blow up a station)
...BUT, towards the end of my fight with the HOP fleet defending the defence platform, the manager of some nearby space-Walmart hails me on comms, telling me that they saw me merk a corvette out his office window, so he conference-called sector security into the convo and filed a complaint, which the cop duly logged on my criminal record. Yep, a complaint from HOP is definitely what I'm most concerned about right now, right by my -20ish rep. :allears: (Had to have a surprised chuckle about that - since I hadn't actually encountered that before, so it was interesting that the game tried reprimanding me in a warzone! Especially since I mean, nobody from HOP told me off for initiating a surprise attack on their forces 20min beforehand, haha)

* During this process I also managed to capture an Atlas and then an Odysseus! The latter of which was captured almost immediately, without any marine losses! I'd like to think that the crew surrendered (since it was right at the end of the battle, so they would've known what their fate would be, if they resisted) and after my war photographers got some nice photos of the clean takeover and handling of the prisoners for my propaganda videos, the HOP crewmen were quietly ejected from the ship via the airlock.
(I mean hey, I'm a powerful PMC working for the Paranid. I'm quite literally the Godrealm's entire navy at present, since they were beaten so badly. So they can't exactly complain about the way I handle POWs, if they want me to keep winning battles for them! :v:)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 11, 2020

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
Drop off the captured crews at either the Alliance shipyard or wharf, and let them work as new "volunteers" for Space Doctors Without Boarders Borders.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wish this game was a little clearer about making money right at the start. I fly around to different stations looking for missions, and it’s either nothing, or “kill this high level baddie” or “hack using a tool you don’t have”. The dock you begin at gave me two 30k easy missions, and I haven’t found any others like it. I have the courier ship from the story chain, so I’ll try and strip it and sell it to afford a miner, I guess? But I had to pay someone like 50k to pilot it to a station where it can be stripped. I’ve found some crystals but I don’t know where to sell them. I’m really intrigued by this game, but I feel like they keep you in the kiddie pool for too long.

Or, am I thinking about this the wrong way, and should I just throw a mining drill onto that piloted courier and set him to sector mine and go about my business?

Also, the game is really pretty but the npc’s are gently caress ugly.

Edit: lol okay I guess I can get at least 500k just from the parts on the courier.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 12, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Corzen posted:

Drop off the captured crews at either the Alliance shipyard or wharf, and let them work as new "volunteers" for Space Doctors Without Boarders Borders.

Hmm, this reminds me of one of my favourite pastimes in Crusader Kings, involving monasteries/nunneries and bothersome subjects! I like it... :D

Also, regarding Walrus' question, yeah you don't get a lot of direction at the very beginning. I'd definitely try and buy a mineral miner ASAP (but not for your own use - got the AI to SectorMine) and then set it up mining silicon in Argon Prime.
Then while that makes you cash, see if you can trigger the PHQ plotline if you haven't already. That'll give you stuff to do, while you figure things out. In the meantime, you may need to fly between the stations in a sector or two, to see if you can get a couple more easy paydays transporting people, etc.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can get on the highway and ride it in circles looking for easy repair and ferry missions until you can afford a miner. At least that's what I did.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

Destroy Mines missions are easy as well. Stay at max weapon range and clear them. Decent money and reputation boost starting out. Deploy Satellite is another one to look for.

With regards to crystals, sell them to any station trader. That's good starting credits.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips. I got enough cash to get my first auto miner set up, getting a second one going in another sector. Having some passive income makes it more fun to explore!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I believe the revamped tutorial system includes one that involves crystal shooting.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

I really wish the shuffle function for station layouts worked with the PHQ. I understand. It technically is its own immoveable module. However, building around that thing is a PITA.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What does shuffle do for existing stations by the way? It shows the existing modules shuffled around.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Are the trade subscriptions worth it as you move into the mid-game with a bunch of large stations?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Financially it seems like an odd proposition. You get trade prices for the cost of 100k satellites (or 100 advanced satellites) but no traffic. Satellites can end up destroyed but otherwise seem absolutely better. After your AI scouts have scouted the safe universe they have nothing better to do than drop satellites next to stations so its not like it saves you manually dropping them, just queuing an AI to do so on the map.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Well I'm thinking it's more like I have a couple hundred satellites but maybe only a quarter of the stations covered so it's more of a timesaver and maybe a performance boost?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
A couple of things to consider in favor of trade subscriptions:

1. Manually queuing up drop orders for a shitload of satellites sucks

2. Over time you'll have to go back and browse the map again for new stations that need satellite coverage

3. The vision granted by satellites incurs a small performance tax, which could become significant when multiplied 100x over if you're going for full station coverage

4. The cost of trade subscriptions might look steep in the earlier stages of the game, but it's really a drop in the bucket in the long run

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I buy trade subscriptions chiefly because I already have a lot of green blips on the map and I've had situations where I click on a station and the game goes 'I'm sure you wanted to click on the green satellite near the station instead'.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am liking this game so much more as I continue to understand how it actually works. I only just figured out that I can buy and crew ships remotely, that I don’t need to be docked to see mission offers, that setting up auto miners is dead easy. I’ve built the landing pad on my PHQ, I bought a better main ship and ordered it to deliver itself to me! I was approaching this game like Elite, when it’s more like a base/faction management game with first-person as a bonus.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, just wondering - how do you all prefer to organise your carrier fleets? I'm not certain if I should use one fleet or two, but this is what I'm thinking so far:

> Flagship: Colossus Carrier
>> Attack: Behemoth x4 (keeping these separate from the main destroyer force, so that they'll attack the same target as the carrier - and therefore, hopefully, remain close to it so that it doesn't get cut-off)
>> Intercept Attack: Assorted destroyers x12 (I'm making these 'intercept' instead of 'attack', so that they'll hopefully be a little more proactive, when it comes to acquiring new targets once the designated target is dead)
>> Defend Intercept: Assorted fighters and corvettes (I'm hoping these guys will stay docked on the carrier when not in an engagement, so that they'll repair, etc.)
>> Supply: Atlas
(I'll create a 'supply fleet' with the below ships, before making the Atlas a subordinate to the carrier. I assume this will work and the organisation structure will carry across, but I could be wrong)
>>> Defend: Nemesis x2
>>> Trader: Magpie x4 (Again, making an assumption here that they'll go out and get wares for the supply ship. Never really used supply ships before, but if it doesn't work out I'll just reassign them)

So yeah, no idea if this is an effective way to organise my fleet (or if it's an absolute mess :v:) but hopefully I can get something that works well. I've been faring well against HOP so far, but I'm definitely going to have to assemble my fleet properly (since at this stage I've just been using a couple of wings of ships -destroyers and corvettes- and micromanaging everything. That method probably won't last very well in a prolonged engagement, however)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 17, 2020

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

Unless something has changed with the order, Intercept will only engage S/M hostiles. If that's still the case it may change up your orders a bit.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Corzen posted:

Unless something has changed with the order, Intercept will only engage S/M hostiles. If that's still the case it may change up your orders a bit.

Oh, that's...interesting. Alright, I'll make all the destroyers "Attack" then, and I guess have fighters on "Intercept"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

On my last playthrough I was doing a heavy fighter-heavy fleet composition (so more carriers) and doing a 40/40/20 split between attack/intercept/defend has been working so far. I'm thinking about shaving the defend down to 10 percent or so because the intercepts are usually taking care of any s/m's attacking my carrier, and if there's another L/XL I'll set target for an attack by the carrier anyway.

I am playing with modded in ships where carriers are also decent shooty boats too, though.

On my new playthrough with ossian raider, dynamic wars, faction enhnacer, and vro, I've gone with a strategy meant to limit me. Using the recycle ships / stations mod, you get a small chance at a blueprint for ship / equipment with every ship you 'recycle', and I'm only allowing myself ships that I capture.

It's been interesting and slow, I'm only able to build miners and traders at the moment, and I'm like 40 hours into this save.

faction enhancer for the most part has kept the galaxy pretty stable due to the catchup module that, when it detects a race is 'losing' a war, increases their production rate. However, weirdly, PAR have taken the litany of fury sectors to the northwest.

Xenon are, as usual, kicking the teladi's tails.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

For anybody interested, there's a Star Wars mod that's in development and the creator of VRO has joined the team: https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-mod-x4

Edit: It's on nexusmods too: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/349

For some reason (I'm guessing copyright stuff?) they're not keeping up a thread on the egosoft forums.

I remember playing both Star Wars and Trek mods back in X3 and they were heaps of fun.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 20, 2020