Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Holy poo poo that ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Good holy poo poo or bad holy poo poo?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's a version of Holding My Thoughts In My Heart in this game but I can't find anyone who has posted a copy of it. The only "bad" thing about the remake ending where it did is you don't get that scene where they're outside Midgar and that song is playing, it's striking and always stuck in my brain. I guess it could be at the start of the next one, but it wont have quite the same impact!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Good holy poo poo or bad holy poo poo?

I think its good. it definitely lets them approach the sequel with a lot more freedom even if they keep the main stuff same (Aeris dies etc)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/aoc-grafts-gun-onto-arm-demands-you-hear-the-planets-cries-of-pain/

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Nah, not that one. The one that plays here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C7qHvPh-0w&t=0m38s

Also plays during the final round of the High Fliers sim, when you fight the drake

Ohhhhh, that's this part of S6-7 Annex Diversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GDWYPI67oA&t=257s

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that I really like about the ending is that regardless of whether Aeris lives, it puts her fate in question. Instead of going in thinking "oh, this is the part where she dies", it becomes "oh poo poo, is she going to die here?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Ohhhhh, that's this part of S6-7 Annex Diversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GDWYPI67oA&t=257s

Thanks, no wonder I couldn't find it scanning through random songs. The one I wanted was a song within a song :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why is the Shinra Tower segment designed to suck all the fun and momentum out of the game? Good lord, between the stairs and air duct and monkey bars they sure do want me spending a ton of time trudging through this chapter. If not for the Combat Simulator was the last fight I had seriously back down in the parking garage because it feels like it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lobok posted:

Why is the Shinra Tower segment designed to suck all the fun and momentum out of the game? Good lord, between the stairs and air duct and monkey bars they sure do want me spending a ton of time trudging through this chapter. If not for the Combat Simulator was the last fight I had seriously back down in the parking garage because it feels like it.

the stairs section owns, also the OG and the remake have never been about a non-stop series of fights so...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
They did kinda point out that the stairs would draw less attention, so probably not the best choice to pick if you wanted more fights.

In the original, you wouldn't have even gotten the parking garage or training simulator fights! (of course, the whole segment would've been over faster, but still).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's fine, I'm just venting. Never played the original so I have no comparison but it's not really about fights per se. When I sit down to play a videogame I hope for some kind of exciting gameplay challenge and in this game that's usually a fight. So it's frustrating to spend the time I have jogging and then walking and then literally crawling along a very linear path.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I do agree that Tifa's lovely little Uncharted adventure feels out of place. The stairs rule, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The music rules and that's all you need.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TheLoser posted:

I do agree that Tifa's lovely little Uncharted adventure feels out of place. The stairs rule, though.

It was funny to watch speedrunners get trolled since the stairs is the faster path in OG FF7.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The monkey bar sections are absolutely terrrrrible. After completing the game I replayed chapter 16 as I picked the wrong option at a crucial time, and while it did give me the opportunity to do the stairs sequence, I despaired at having to do the monkey bars again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

exquisite tea posted:

The music rules and that's all you need.

yep one of the best original to remake tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqNUgUzN14

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Shinra building in the original was fun because it was this mini dungeon where you could run around unlocking doors and generally having a little explore. In the remake it's a series of linear walking segments that are basically fine by themselves, but kill the pacing stone dead when put one after another. I didn't mind playing it through once, but it dragged even then, and having to go through it again for the combat simulator and hard mode was just cruel. The tour should have been split into its own optional segments or at least let you run through them without obstruction; it kind of came across as being forced to sit through what should have been side/background content, especially the videos.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find it hard to believe that a game that isn't open world has the arena and combat simulators as actual locations you have to go, especially only in certain chapters, rather than something you can select from the menu after you unlock them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's pretty easy to get to the Combat Simulator in chapter 17 with chapter select. Set to easy->skip cutscene->beat one super easy fight in 15 seconds-> you're there. Takes like a minute.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lobok posted:

I find it hard to believe that a game that isn't open world has the arena and combat simulators as actual locations you have to go, especially only in certain chapters, rather than something you can select from the menu after you unlock them.

Yeah agreed this should definitely be a menu option, at least when you beat the game

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that I really like about the ending is that regardless of whether Aeris lives, it puts her fate in question. Instead of going in thinking "oh, this is the part where she dies", it becomes "oh poo poo, is she going to die here?"

I think that because cloud sees her death three times in the story, its going to be a case of "I think Aerith is gonna get murked by my old CO. LEts stop it guys!!!" as the visions become clearer, rather than a surprise to the characters if it does happen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if the tv ads for part 3 arent SAVE AERITH in big bold text they hosed up

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

kaworu posted:

I don't mean to sing the game's praises too effusively, because it does have flaws. Like an earlier poster mentioned, as much fun as it is it does feel almost like a roller-coaster ride - complete with a safety belt strapping you in and being totally unable to leave the cart or veer off the track. It also goes very fast and in one direction only, absolutely no backtracking or revisiting. The metaphor works pretty drat well, to be honest.

It's not a rollercoaster, it's a train you're on and there no getting offa it.

Super No Vacancy posted:

if the tv ads for part 3 arent SAVE AERITH in big bold text they hosed up

Aerith Lives graffitied in every major city in the world.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think that because cloud sees her death three times in the story, its going to be a case of "I think Aerith is gonna get murked by my old CO. LEts stop it guys!!!" as the visions become clearer, rather than a surprise to the characters if it does happen

Something I love about those "visions" is that I don't think it was ever explicitly revealed if Cloud is actually see a vision of the future, or "remembering" a version of the past. Seems like a pretty fundamental question - it may be answered, I'm only on Chapter 9. I think Cloud's only seen it once in a flash, too, at this point, when Aerith tells him about the Holy materia at the base of her braid.

Actually, I'm technically on Chapter 3 because I restarted my game. Yeah, might seem weird, but I found out that there were some... relatively important things I had missed.

Most of all and stupidest of all was I never got the Luck Up materia from Wedge, despite spending15 minutes mastering the darts game and getting the top score! I didn't even know it was there. I was trying to find out why Steal was so lovely and takes half a dozen tries to work no matter what enemy, and how I might raise my luck stats other than like a single weapon ability of Tifa's, so yeah. I also realized I had missed the Elemental materia in that catwalk area with the BIG lights, when I got distracted with getting the summoning materia behind the fans I forgot about the drat blue materia I saw at the beginning, didn't realize it until WAY too late, and didn't realize it was going to be a materia that would be impossible to replace going forward. I think I figured it would be one of like 3 or 4 ALL materia or something since it was the first blue materia you see up to that point, unless I missed others, hah. Of course, there is no ALL and we have like... Magnify instead, I think?

So, because of those two things, and the fact that even if I waited until Hard Mode to get them, both playthroughs would be totally screwed up from my POV since some really fundamental things to me - having a high level of luck to steal effectively and being able to zero out or absorb elemental magic by two thirds into the normal playthrough, as well as dealing elemental physical damage. Even with those things I almost didn't restart it, still. Then I realized that you actually do have the ability to switch to Japanese voice acting/audio, and that pushed me over the edge. I've been taking online courses on Japanese, and while I'm a ways away from my goal still (being able to read it) I'm OK at aural comprehension.

Of course, there's been something newly distracting now, watching it with Japanese dialogue - it reveals a lot about the translation and localization, and I can't stop paying attention to the differences between the Japanese I'm hearing and the translation I'm doing in my own head, and the "subtitles" below which are actually just CCs for the English dialogue and not any kind of attempt at a more literal translation of the Japanese dialogue. This is really more of a pet peeve, though - it's distracting as hell since it takes me out of the "immersion" and reminds me of the artifice of the game, but it's fairly minor and the distraction is welcome at times when the game is somewhat dull or when I am watching certain scenes a second time 'round.

Look, do NOT get me wrong - I think the translation team did a job that was light years better than what you generally see from a plot-rich JRPG, which necessarily has to be well-written (in Japanese) in order to succeed in the first place. What they did that was great was, instead of trying to take what the dialogue was and translate the Japanese words into English words, they took the meaning, importance and emotional context of that line and translated THAT. Which is cool, because you can actually do a somewhat accurate translation of a given idiom if you translate into a roughly corresponding idiom. This is GREAT but you need people with a deep understanding of not only both languages on a profound level, but you also need someone culturally fluent in both American and Japanese and familiar enough with how *both* populations speak casually and in the slummy kinda places of the world to do any kind of a decent job. And it feels like they actually hired someone(s) capable of this for the localization team who did a great job, this time around.

My point is basically that I'm even more impressed at the translation now that I am playing it in Japanese, because I can see just how well they Americanized/westernized the dialogue while staying true to the spirit and tone of the original Japanese; you can see where and how they took certain liberties, so it's interesting. As I said, it's a bit distracting if you know Japanese, but it's the kind of change that they never used to make in the day because the translations were so literal and utterly clueless about how people actually spoke English. But in THIS game.... well, to make an example, as Cloud attacks Sephy in his hallucination he's shouting "Fuzakare na!" - which is a fairly well-known Japanese invective meaning "Don't mess with me!" or "Stop screwing around!" or many variations thereof, and that is like exactly how it would have been translated in every past Final Fantasy game that I've seen (XV may have been different). However, in this game they instead have Cloud shout "You bastard!" as he attacks Sephy - this is like a small-scale example of exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. They went with the English idiom that sounded better and more appropriate and more like something a native English speaker actually says to an enemy while attacking them.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 15, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

kaworu posted:

Something I love about those "visions" is that I don't think it was ever explicitly revealed if Cloud is actually see a vision of the future, or "remembering" a version of the past. Seems like a pretty fundamental question - it may be answered, I'm only on Chapter 9. I think Cloud's only seen it once in a flash, too, at this point, when Aerith tells him about the Holy materia at the base of her braid.

Yes this will all be explained by the end of the game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

my fear is that square enix may not know how superior this localization is to like, 15's for example, and it won't be duplicated for future games. i mean i expect they keep the same team on the other ff7r parts but who knows about 16 u know

and then it will be like oh wow we could have natural sounding dialogue instead of there being this weird layer of abstraction on everything people saying in this series

you would never hear an appropriate idiom like "got it in one!" in previous final fantasies

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

my fear is that square enix may not know how superior this localization is to like, 15's for example, and it won't be duplicated for future games. i mean i expect they keep the same team on the other ff7r parts but who knows about 16 u know

and then it will be like oh wow we could have natural sounding dialogue instead of there being this weird layer of abstraction on everything people saying in this series

you would never hear an appropriate idiom like "got it in one!" in previous final fantasies

I can't imagine all the raving online regarding the voice talent and localization is not being heard.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yeah, it's kind of depressing though - A good localization makes me aware of just how much truly gets lost when they end up with a crappy localization.

The other thing is, if a game is really ambitious and epic, and a true odyssey with all sorts of places and people to talk to with lots to say, and things to see and do... The more successful a game (a jrpg in this case) is at doing this, the more difficult and overwhelming and challenging it is for the localization team is to tackle.

I always think of Xenogears as a prime example of a game that succeeded in the West in spite of what was just a tremendously poor and haphazard localization - it was so awful it almost totally ruined the tone of the game. If they didn't totally eviscerate a given scene/conversation in the game by accident, then they were undercutting and defacing the subtlety, importance, and deeper meanings of more scenes than I could even begin to COUNT. Don't get me started on the half-assed attempts at American colloquialisms - but that's minor when compared to butchering entire scenes full of important exposition and information about the mythology and the plot. The worst part is I was totally unaware of how much the localization team hosed that game up until I actually saw and read a transcription of the Japanese dialogue, with a rough literal English translation of it for reference, and it was both awesome and horrifying.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Prompto and Barret singing the victory theme in their games is so good that I want it to be a recurring thing in all future games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I think there's reason to hope because of FFXIV. Originally, the Japanese script for FFXIV was pretty straightforward and plain, while the English localization was accurate (barring one particular hiccup with a masked character's gender in 1.0 leading to a lot of confusion down the line) while having a lot more life and personality to it. Eventually, SE's Japanese writing team started to follow suit because Japanese players wanted a script that was as good as what English players got, so the Japanese script's style changed to have more natural, lively dialog like the English script's.

Hopefully other FF teams can take notes from the writing-related successes of both FFXIV and 7R.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

This is called transliteration and yes, it is hard to do well for the reasons you mentioned. I think they genuinely wanted this to land with western audiences after sinking so much love and care into it, and to address the translation issues from the first game. ("this guy are sick")

Good choice on restarting for elemental, though. There's only 2 of them in the entire game and unless you SEVERELY grind your face off with a battle Sim it won't be at lv2/3 by the time you go to hard mode.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I was kind of disappointed there wasn't a reference to This Guy Are Sick in the script though :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kaworu posted:

Actually, I'm technically on Chapter 3 because I restarted my game. Yeah, might seem weird, but I found out that there were some... relatively important things I had missed.

Most of all and stupidest of all was I never got the Luck Up materia from Wedge, despite spending15 minutes mastering the darts game and getting the top score! I didn't even know it was there. I was trying to find out why Steal was so lovely and takes half a dozen tries to work no matter what enemy, and how I might raise my luck stats other than like a single weapon ability of Tifa's, so yeah. I also realized I had missed the Elemental materia in that catwalk area with the BIG lights, when I got distracted with getting the summoning materia behind the fans I forgot about the drat blue materia I saw at the beginning, didn't realize it until WAY too late, and didn't realize it was going to be a materia that would be impossible to replace going forward. I think I figured it would be one of like 3 or 4 ALL materia or something since it was the first blue materia you see up to that point, unless I missed others, hah. Of course, there is no ALL and we have like... Magnify instead, I think?

Ah, drat. Didn't know about the early Luck Up materia or I would have tried harder at darts. I didn't get my first one until the squats challenge five chapters later.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Does anyone have ideas for challenge / themed runs for this game?

No Materia and Single Character Challenge comes to my mind.

Edit: Someone posted the idea of equipping toad rings for 2 characters so you'll be playing as Cloud and 2 toads lol.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 15, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WaltherFeng posted:

Edit: Someone posted the idea of equipping toad rings for 2 characters so you'll be playing as Cloud and 2 toads lol.

That's how I saw one YouTuber do "solo" fights where you were required to have a full party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Does anyone have ideas for challenge / themed runs for this game?

No Materia and Single Character Challenge comes to my mind.

Someone has beaten the final boss with a full party of toads I think

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
From what I've seen I think the English voice track has the superior character performances, even if, ironically, the anime grunting is a lot worse in the English version than it is in Japanese.

Maybe when the PC version comes out I'll get that and play it with JP voices and JP subs to keep things fresh, but this was a game I've been waiting for for decades, and I wanted to enjoy it to the fullest instead of having to pause to hump a dictionary every three seconds.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

Prompto and Barret singing the victory theme in their games is so good that I want it to be a recurring thing in all future games.

God I hate the name Prompto so much

Every time I think of trying to play ff15 I think about how bland the main characters are and I don't bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its a good name