Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yup. Really neat design. Core shaft was weightless but the living compartments rotated so you could sleep, shower and poop with some semblance of gravity.

Page snipe. We've gotten this far with no mention of the Tardis. That might be a sign of how bad the writing was been the last few seasons.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jostiband posted:

I know nobody watches 2010, but the Alexei Leonov is sexy as hell in that clunky Omega kind of way

rip :(

The Omega was explicitly based on it, IIRC.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Star Citizen Drake "Vulture"

Uh... they seem to have stolen that straight from somebody's slight redesign of Eve's mining frigate.

I always liked flying the Jaguar assault frigate. I don't remember exactly what you were supposed to do with it, but I liked having the speed to get near targets and the firepower to own lesser frigs and put dents in destroyers.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 14, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Animal-Mother posted:

Uh... they seem to have stolen that straight from somebody's slight redesign of Eve's mining frigate.

I wasn't on board with it before but now that I know it's part of SC's comical, shameless grift, it's great.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Brawnfire posted:

Just like my LEGO space stations, there's some dude pushing around a dome on a handle.

Is that a Playskool corn popper?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Unkempt posted:

Is that a Playskool corn popper?

A toy to train for a futuristic job that never materialized :(

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Polaron posted:

The Omega was explicitly based on it, IIRC.

Sure was, at least the rotating section. The designer straight-up admits it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Starsector's got some cool ship design and my definite favourite is the mid-tech battlecruiser, the Conquest.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

I always liked flying the Jaguar assault frigate. I don't remember exactly what you were supposed to do with it, but I liked having the speed to get near targets and the firepower to own lesser frigs and put dents in destroyers.

Are those blunderbusses on the front?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Starsector's got some cool ship design and my definite favourite is the mid-tech battlecruiser, the Conquest.

I know that game is amazing and I put like 30 hours into it, I am just waiting for a final edition

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I haven't played in years.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i had mostly forgotten about colony wars but this thread dredged up the memory that for like a month in 7th grade i was obsessed with the s-21 eclipse from that game, i just thought it was so cool looking in a vaguely tie fighteresque way

the blizzard was cool too. I remember really liking the ship designs in general in that series

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 15, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

Are those blunderbusses on the front?

No, they're twin fuselage booms. Eve ships have their guns in turrets.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Homeworld chat: I seem to recall that in the lead up to the release of Homeworld 2 (2003), they had a website where you could preview all the ships in 3D and rotate them and zoom in and out on them with your mouse, right there in your browser, which I just thought was the coolest thing. I'm not sure I'd encountered anything like that before and it felt like cutting edge internet technology. I spent ages gawping at all those ships

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Anyway, Stellaris has some pretty nice spaceships. Apologies for this awful grab off reddit but this does a good job of showing how the aesthetic of your ships depends on what kind of animal your species is:

And the space battles are lovely (pro-tip: always put the game in slow-motion in a space battle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61AlKshM5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XjoKIT70Ok

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I always liked the way the Imperial Ships in Gratuitous Space Battles had this "coronal" aesthetic

And it's kind of fun because it's supposed to convey like, "royalty" but it also kind of inadvertently conveys a contrary egalitarianism.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

free hubcaps posted:

i had mostly forgotten about colony wars but this thread dredged up the memory that for like a month in 7th grade i was obsessed with the s-21 eclipse from that game, i just thought it was so cool looking in a vaguely tie fighteresque way

Colony Wars loving owned man and I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who remembers it.

Though it did always amuse me that the Eclipse's in-cockpit view had the long wings in the wrong spots.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Colony Wars was cool and very cool for a PSX game.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I really liked the ships from the Halo series.
Human ships look (at least until Halo 4 etc.) utilitarian and chunky. Massive railgun along the ship's length, an engine to power it and move the ship, shitloads of armor (for medium + ships like the Pillar of Autumn) or none at all for frigates - and you're ready to go.

Pillar of Autumn

frigate

comparison plus fighters.

The Convenant ships are looking more sleek and organic, almost like space whales - seels their advanced technology level pretty well.

Cruiser

Dropship

With so many rounded angles, they tend to have the same perspectivic problem as the Enterprise D - seen from the wrong angle, they just look fat and imbalanced.

Edit: I also like the depiction of fights in some of the Halo cinematic sequences: Most ships can take a lot of punishment - and if they are destroyed, it's a messy process that takes a long time and leaves most of the hull intact.

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 20, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

free hubcaps posted:

the blizzard was cool too. I remember really liking the ship designs in general in that series

Count me in as another fan of both Colony Wars games who was baffled that it wasn't more popular. I was never really a flight combat simulator person but got some reason those games really got their hooks into me and I remember really loving the ship designs.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mat Cauthon posted:

Count me in as another fan of both Colony Wars games

You mean all three, right? :v:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I always loved the concept of the Ion Cannon Frigate in the original Homeworld game. The entire ship was just one gently caress off giant football field sized laser cannon with an engine strapped to the back designed to melt enemy capital ships.

I remember it not having the greatest mobility, but once it got it's nose pointed at it's target it was pretty much lights out (lights on?) for them. That meant it usually needed some fighter support so it wouldn't get swarmed by enemy fighters, as it was pretty much a one trick pony, but it sure did do that one trick pretty well!

Also I recall it behaving like what I imagine a real laser cannon would work, having one constant stream burning a hole in it's target as opposed to "blips" or whatever (which I have no problem with, its loving Sci-Fi) and I thought was pretty cool.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I recall enjoying building a whole bunch of those ion cannon frigates, and having them focus fire on ships in the enemy fleet to just blip them out of existence in seconds

Such a sleek looking ship. I like the tiny bit of asymmetry too, with what might be the bridge (?) jutting out at one side, almost aircraft-carrier style, and a comms module (?) the other side

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love laser-lance weapons. Anything that sears through space and just pumps infiniwatts of energy into anything in its path gets me going

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Polaron posted:

You mean all three, right? :v:

I honestly had no idea there was a third one. Not sure how I missed it back in the day but cest la vie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

I love laser-lance weapons. Anything that sears through space and just pumps infiniwatts of energy into anything in its path gets me going

Yea and always a fan of ships built around giant fuckoff guns.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

SavageGentleman posted:

Edit: I also like the depiction of fights in some of the Halo cinematic sequences: Most ships can take a lot of punishment - and if they are destroyed, it's a messy process that takes a long time and leaves most of the hull intact.

Master Chief is the best space ship

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm a big fan of Red Dwarf's ship of the same name. That bad boy was a massive refining and mining vessel that was as big or small as the plot demanded it be.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like the ships from Riddick. Its basically just another iteration of [ship with pods on the side] but I think theyre neat.

Also the fish shaped ship from Chronicles of Riddick is cool too.

Most of the pics of it online are blurry as poo poo but you can see it better here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rewatched cult classic Starship Troopers last night and noticed that, among other various glaringly obvious and funny pieces of satire, the troop transports are basically dressed-up star destroyers:

It's really mind-boggling that so few people "got" this movie at the time (Doogie Himmler!).

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 28, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i took this picture like 3.5 years ago and it was the entire reason i wanted both models in 1:1400 in the first place

someday i should really try to find the right lens for this kind of shot and try to do it "right"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mordja posted:

Fractured Space is a very dead game, and probably the only moba-like I actually enjoyed, that I thought did a very good job in differentiating the different ship manufacturers' designs.

oh, man. Yes. Very much yes. Rest in piece Fractured Space (there's an unofficial continuation on KS3's discord running some multiplayer but I'm a pve casual so I don't participate beyond keeping eyes on it) but there were a lot of ships in that game that had great lines. I think my favorite manufacturer was TDS but that's because I was a Reaper main for like two years. Here's a pile of gifs showing off some of the ships and custom skins. That was another strength by the end of FS, they did some great texture work.

TDS Aegis ultimate made it look like the 89 Batmobile and that was cool: https://gfycat.com/carefreeanimatedkronosaurus

this was a skin family you unlocked from an event
TDS Leviathan: https://gfycat.com/smoothglasscormorant
TDS Reaper: https://gfycat.com/memorableplushapatosaur

but the one I always, always used was the Reaper Azrael: https://gfycat.com/blankjadedaracari ...it was just so good.

Dreadnought was another similar capital ship kinda-moba which also tried for the multiple manufacturers route but they didn't sell the visual aesthetic anywhere near as well as FS. Also it died on arrival when they launched out of beta :rip:

still it had some good moments. The destroyers in that game were my favorite (after they nerfed corvettes into the ground) - fast and heavily armed, and tough enough to stand up to at least some enemy fire. I forget which manufacture this was but it was the best of the lot.
https://gfycat.com/bossyearlyichthyosaurs
https://gfycat.com/feistypepperycormorant

Them looking like flattened Star Destroyers with bigger turrets isn't a negative, either.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I haven’t seen the A-Wing posted yet; i was always a sucker for how it looked.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Oh man, I played Dreadnaught for a while and really liked the optics and gameplay itself - but basically burned out on the grindy progression system. Still: nice looking ships - and almost each of them felt different during gameplay.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I think a special shout out has to go out for the ships in Children of a Dead Earth, which all resemble drab, windowless cylinders

You can make your own ship but chances are it's gonna be a grey buttplug.

The game takes a super realistic "what if" approach to space combat, I don't think it's a particularly good game but it's certainly an interesting one.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I posted this in an earlier thread but screw it it's relevant.

Yes Star Destroyers are sexy, but people overhype the Empire compared to the awesomeness that is the Rebel Fleet. In addition to looking amazing, the most beautiful thing is that they follow a design philosophy that both ties them together while simultaneously being immediately visually discernible from the Empire with no prior knowledge. While SD's are solid, Rebel ships are skeletal. While Imperial Ships are stark to the point of being almost white or black, Rebel ships are softer colors bordering on tan. while the Empire is sharp angular geometric shapes, the Rebels are bulbous, asymmetrical and lopsided.

The first Rebel ship we see is also one of the most recognizable in history, and my personal favorite capital ship of all time. The Blockade Runner immediately tells you everything you need to know. That this bad boy is fast as hell with giant engines and aggressive, with oversized gun batteries that take up a large chunk of the small frame.

ESB is the first film to give us an actual Rebel Fleet. following the themes of the Blockade Runner the two non-blurry ships added also have the same design philosophy mentioned earlier. The Nebulon B is a spindly fellow whose frame helps set the mood of Lukes recovery after getting his hand lopped off. The Gallofree Transport meanwhile gets across it's job as a space cargo hauler with it's enveloping wings that carry a mass of boxes.

Next is the Home One and its copy-pasted brethren from RotJ. This chunky boy immediately exudes the fact it's the headquarters ship that disgorges swarms of fighters and can take a pounding. It's also a great example of dumb Wookiepedia style fandom even before Wookiepedia. Obviously Home One is the flag ships callsign, much like how Gold Leader is not the actual name of the Millennium Falcon. But it's been so long people would probably riot if you changed the name.

The Star Cruiser, Liberty, or whatever you call it is the Home Ones sibling and follows the same Mon-cal aesthetics. Unlike the Home One though, this one doesn't have to worry about being a headquarters. It's slimmer and has "fins" that make it resemble a predatory shark. This guys for pure battle.

We finish up with our only entry from the Disney verse which likewise comes from the only good film in the Disney verse. The Profundity is like a little sibling to the RotJ Mon Cal ships. It has an awesome submarine aesthetic and a bridge that was tailor made for the final act to oversee the ground battle from space.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Squizzle posted:

the uss cygnus, from disneys THE BLACK HOLE, is fuckin beautiful

One of the most striking images I ever saw at the cinema as a child was the meteor storm in Black Hole

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of the most striking images I ever saw at the cinema as a child was the meteor storm in Black Hole

I just rewatched The Black Hole on Disney+ and it holds up pretty well. The end is still weird though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rewatched cult classic Starship Troopers last night and noticed that, among other various glaringly obvious and funny pieces of satire, the troop transports are basically dressed-up star destroyers:

It's really mind-boggling that so few people "got" this movie at the time (Doogie Himmler!).

I didn't get it as a kid because I went there to see them fight BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS!!! and I was 100% satisfied. I love rewatching it now because it takes a huge poo poo on Heinlein and fascism, and also still includes great scenes of people fighting BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

twistedmentat posted:

I just rewatched The Black Hole on Disney+ and it holds up pretty well. The end is still weird though.

A lot of movies of the time suffer from "we have huge ideas, but the special effects to properly show them simply don't exist".

So you get a black hole effect that is someone pulling the plug out of a sink and the mind bending transformative experience of passing through into another universe shown by stretching the film and making people talk funny.