Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sesquiculus posted:

This rang a bell. I vaguely remember a book (possibly a series) about a boy detective named Chip that used his computer to solve mysteries. Google was no help in finding that, but it did lead me to a book called "The Secret of the Video Game Scores & other mysteries" from the series "Hawkeye Collins and Amy Adams" which sounds like it might be the one you're looking for?

The name Chip is one I had remembered and discarded as possibly being too obvious, so we're probably thinking of the same thing. That other series definitely isn't the one I'm thinking of, the mysteries Chip dealt with were, if memory serves, all computer or electronics-based.

also I remember the front covers having all the text in that optical readout font that all media about technology used in the 70s and 80s, in red outlined with yellow or vice-versa.

e: Westminster. That's the font: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_(typeface)#/media/File:Typeface_specimen_Data_70.svg

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

hexwren posted:

A series of kid detective books (Encyclopedia Brown-style) with computer- or technology-themed mysteries.

That immediately makes me think of the Danny Dunn stories, though they are probably too old for the ones you mean. Though I notice from the Wikipedia page the series continued until 1977, and I haven't read them all, so they might be a match.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey I was just remembering a series that I read as a kid and now can't find hide nor hair of it via google or wikipedia.

It was a slice-of-life style young-adult series centered around an adolescent girl living in Manhattan in like the 1950s, and the story/stories centered around being poor and Jewish. I remember some very specific snatches of text but they're of no help apparently.

One situation involved Halloween night where the POV protagonist was running around the neighborhood looking for a cat for some reason, and then a bunch of the neighborhood boys came running out swinging long socks filled with flour and whacking everyone they could find with them to leave big white marks. "Jonathan Katz" she yelled at one of them, which I remember thinking was lame because they were talking about cats at the time and it seemed too on-the-nose

Another involved an anecdote about how during winter the poor families would save on electricity by emptying out their refrigerators and putting all the cold food in a window box out on the balcony, because it's cold enough in New York to get away with that

Another anecdote was about her helping a starving street kid, offering him/her a sandwich and they were like "...Is it kosher?"

There was also a bit where she found a coin in the gutter and didn't know at first whether it was a penny or a nickel, and she wouldn't look at it because she wanted to spend however long she could imagining it was a nickel, because that meant she could get all kinds of candy at the corner store, like a big long pretzel stick and some gum and still have enough left over to buy like, a car or something. In the end she opened her hand and looked and lo and behold, it WAS a nickel!!

There was also a thing where she went to summer camp at Lake Tiorati, and they sang that "Skin-a-ma-rink-a-dink-a-dink, skin-a-ma-rink-a-do, Camp Tiorati we love you" song.

Come to think of it it must have been two completely different books/series because these don't sound consistent at all.

Any of this sound familiar to anybody?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Books about Jewish girls in New York City make me think of the All-of-a-Kind Family series, but that's set a bit earlier than the 1950s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hm, no, not that.

I feel like it was very much of a piece with Beverly Cleary type stuff, but it wasn’t her.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Data Graham posted:

Hm, no, not that.

I feel like it was very much of a piece with Beverly Cleary type stuff, but it wasn’t her.

Judy Blume had Starring Sally J Freedman as Herself, which starts off in the late 40s in NJ, but I don't recall any of the details you mentioned.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Data Graham posted:

Hm, no, not that.

I haven't read it in a while and it features a guy instead of a girl but those anecdotes remind me of It's Like This, Cat

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There was a series of books I used to read in the early to mid 90s and I feel like it was like the Hardy Boys, but less old. I remember something about a mean headmaster at the school the boys went to, and they probably solved mysteries or something along those lines. I think they were brothers but might have just been classmates. Does anyone know what series I am talking about? I can't find anything though admittedly I don't remember much.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Berzerker posted:

There was a series of books I used to read in the early to mid 90s and I feel like it was like the Hardy Boys, but less old. I remember something about a mean headmaster at the school the boys went to, and they probably solved mysteries or something along those lines. I think they were brothers but might have just been classmates. Does anyone know what series I am talking about? I can't find anything though admittedly I don't remember much.

If they pulled pranks instead of solving mysteries (and older than 90s) it could be Bruno and Boots.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I read a book as a kid, I think before 2000, probably late '90s so I would be 7ish, that I'm trying to place. The main plot points I remember are an underwater cave where the bad guy puts a poison crab into somebody's ear and it crawls in and maybe bites and kills them? Maybe just threatens to do so. And also people diving to / from the cave going into an airlock on a boat, depressurizing too fast, and dying / almost dying from the bends. I think I checked it out from the library.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Anachronist posted:

I read a book as a kid, I think before 2000, probably late '90s so I would be 7ish, that I'm trying to place. The main plot points I remember are an underwater cave where the bad guy puts a poison crab into somebody's ear and it crawls in and maybe bites and kills them? Maybe just threatens to do so. And also people diving to / from the cave going into an airlock on a boat, depressurizing too fast, and dying / almost dying from the bends. I think I checked it out from the library.

Sounds like it could maybe be Reef of Death by Paul Zindel. I would have been around the same age when I read it and vaguely remember something about a crab. Do you remember there being a big monster eating people?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Anachronist posted:

Reminds me of a Willard Price book, probably called Underwater Adventure or something.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

BrownPepper posted:

Sounds like it could maybe be Reef of Death by Paul Zindel. I would have been around the same age when I read it and vaguely remember something about a crab. Do you remember there being a big monster eating people?

I don't remember a big monster eating people. But the publication date is right on and this extremely well written review from amazon sounds super familiar:

"...An example of action would be when Dr.Ecenbarger put a guard in the torture chair. A crab was put in a cage and then the cage was put on the guard's head. "The guard was dead only moments before the crab began the feast on his brain." In conclusion, I think anyone who likes horror stories and action, should read this book."

Safety Biscuits posted:

Reminds me of a Willard Price book, probably called Underwater Adventure or something.

This one sounds promising based on descriptions online too. Going to get a copy of each and see if they're familiar. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Months ago, I posted about a Christmas book that I was looking for. I might've found it, but I only have the cover to go by. Can anyone help? Maybe I'm bad at Google?

The book's name is Santa Claus Toy Book, and it's by Florence Notter, originally published in 1913. I literally just need to see one page, and I'll know if it's the one I've been looking for.

For reference, this is my original post about it....

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, here goes. T'is the season for me to once again try to find a book from my childhood. I just learned about this thread, so I thought I'd ask you all.

Christmas kids picture book, large, possibly hard-covered, illustrations were similar to stained glass

The facts, from what I recall:

- read it sometime between 1985-93

- more about the artwork: everything had a thick black outline to it, filled with I believe solid colours. Likely no gradual shading, or anything that looked like it was coloured using pencil crayons. Nothing actually looked like glass texture, however, it's just that the colours were sectioned off. It's almost like it was a colouring book that was already professionally coloured.

- artwork filled the pages, wasn't a lot of white space, if any at all

- was probably larger than a normal 8.5x11 sized book.

- one element I remember more clearly than others was that there was a big red candle in at least one of the illustrations, with a big yellow flame on top of it, which looked a lot like the kind you'd put outside your home as a decoration. Another vague image coming into my mind right now is that it showed a few houses covered in snow. Specific, I know (:rolleyes:)

- not silly or goofy whatsoever. Meant for children, but not in a cartoonish way. Like a classic book for kids.

- likely didn't feature many characters

- might've had a nutcracker in one of the pictures

- might have been a version of The Night Before Christmas.

- that being said, I don't cleary remember any of the words, nor do I remember the cover.

I've been trying to find this book for literally decades now, and I don't even think I'm prepared for the emotions I'll feel if I ever see it again. I'm forever grateful for any help anyone might be able to give.

Thank you!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Months ago, I posted about a Christmas book that I was looking for. I might've found it, but I only have the cover to go by. Can anyone help? Maybe I'm bad at Google?

The book's name is Santa Claus Toy Book, and it's by Florence Notter, originally published in 1913. I literally just need to see one page, and I'll know if it's the one I've been looking for.

there's a copy in the brown university library if you want to ILL it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I tried tweeting about it, maybe we'll get a bite: https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1273662780378353665

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thank you so much!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there's a copy in the brown university library if you want to ILL it

What does ILL mean, in this context? I'm interested!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Inter-Library Loan. If your local library doesn't have a book, they can ask another library that does to mail it to them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Inter-Library Loan. If your local library doesn't have a book, they can ask another library that does to mail it to them.

Ah, ok, thank you! I'll check with my library.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I need help finding the title of a hard sci-fi novel. It’s about one of a number of spaceships who are on a doomed mission unless they are able to develop an artificial intelligence. The true nature of the mission (develop the ai) is known only to the captain. Also I think people back on Earth had manage to create AI but it exploded so now they do it out in space instead.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Pulcinella posted:

I need help finding the title of a hard sci-fi novel. It’s about one of a number of spaceships who are on a doomed mission unless they are able to develop an artificial intelligence. The true nature of the mission (develop the ai) is known only to the captain. Also I think people back on Earth had manage to create AI but it exploded so now they do it out in space instead.

Sounds like Destination: Void by Frank Herbert.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

froglet posted:

Sounds like Destination: Void by Frank Herbert.

Yes! Thank you!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hobnob posted:

That immediately makes me think of the Danny Dunn stories, though they are probably too old for the ones you mean. Though I notice from the Wikipedia page the series continued until 1977, and I haven't read them all, so they might be a match.

That's too early for these, these are definitely early-mid-80s, what with personal computers, phone modems in your home and the like.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Scaramouche posted:

If they pulled pranks instead of solving mysteries (and older than 90s) it could be Bruno and Boots.

This is absolutely it. Thank you!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just putting up a reminder link for the Book Barn discord:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I apparently clicked on the The Expanse thread by mistake

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

now with dedicated ‘identify that story/book’ channel!

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

The Berzerker posted:

This is absolutely it. Thank you!

Do be careful if you're seeking out copies of Bruno and Boots books. In 2000s reprintings, they got updated for inflation and slang and stuff, so you may want to make sure you're getting 70s-80s versions. I learned this from Wikipedia and TVTropes but without too many examples.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Judy Blime books have gotten the same treatment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit I grew up talking like a 50s sitcom because I was imitating those books, so should today's kids

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I posted this in the Discord but it hasn't been found yet.

HELP. Book from early 2000s, mystery. I think it was part of a series. Something having to do with the internet. It had a black cover with blue writing on it. The one that I read had something to do with snow... A ski lodge or something

The cover was black with blue text all over it, maybe code? There were no pictures on the cover as far as I can remember.

It was definitely late 90s/early 2000s and the early internet was an important part of the story. Maybe they had met on a forum or something? That's what connected the books in the series I think. It didn't have the same characters, but all had to do with this internet group

The book that I had had something to do with snow or skiing or a ski lodge and the text on the cover was blue.

I think other books in the series had a different color text all over the cover

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 1, 2020

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Children's book, mostly set in France (I think someone lives in Montmartre) around the 1700s. There is some Jacobite/Hanoverian plot stuff, I think the main boy was raised by charcoal burners in a forest, towards the end a hot air balloon or zeppelin comes to the rescue. They may also get chased by wolves at some point, and may have had wolves (or the balloon) in the title or on the cover.

Pretty sure it's very old (it may have been my mothers when she was young, so maybe 50 years ago) and may have been part of a series.

I may also be conflating two books?

e: and literally seconds after I hit post, searched "hanoverian plot novel" and found Black Hearts in Battersea, a sequel to "Wolves of WIlloughby Chase". Not sure about the Paris stuff though.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 6, 2020

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

e: and literally seconds after I hit post, searched "hanoverian plot novel" and found Black Hearts in Battersea, a sequel to "Wolves of WIlloughby Chase". Not sure about the Paris stuff though.

Never read that one, but part of the story of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase is that it's an alt-history where the channel tunnel was dug in the early 19th century (which is why there are once again wolves in England - they migrated through the tunnel from Europe). So Paris is definitely on the cards.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Hoping folks in here can pull off a miracle and identify a book I read as a child. Only got some very loose details:

- About a girl (I think) who has to travel across part of England/Wales (maybe) to sort some sort of problem involving a wyrm, you know, dragon sort of thing

- The cover (in this UK edition at least) was a light grey background with an array (4 columns by five rows maybe) of different stones but one of them might have actually been like a dragon egg? Or just a cracked stone?

- The title might have had something to do with stones or hatching?

EDIT: Writing out that last bullet point finally knocked the memory loose. "The Stones are Hatching" by Geraldine McCaughrean. Needless to say apparently a lot of my memories about it appear to be wrong.

Calexio fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 6, 2020

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

BrownPepper posted:

I just finished reading this and it was definitely it. Thank you!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I asked this a long while ago (maybe even in this thread) but no one came up with the name.

A book I read for college. It was presented as an autobiography (two, technically: it was actually all fiction). The first story was about a man's very odd friend who managed to create a 'hybrid life' by putting the brain of a dying infant into a dead woman's head and the problematic experiences of it. The second story was the woman who allegedly was this 'hybrid' saying that the first story was all nonsense and here was what really happened.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

I asked this a long while ago (maybe even in this thread) but no one came up with the name.

A book I read for college. It was presented as an autobiography (two, technically: it was actually all fiction). The first story was about a man's very odd friend who managed to create a 'hybrid life' by putting the brain of a dying infant into a dead woman's head and the problematic experiences of it. The second story was the woman who allegedly was this 'hybrid' saying that the first story was all nonsense and here was what really happened.

Poor Things by Alasdair Gray. Very cool man, it's a shame he's gone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to remember the author who I read a bunch of in late elementary or early middle school. They were all sports-focused. I want to say the author's name had Christopher in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hooah posted:

I'm trying to remember the author who I read a bunch of in late elementary or early middle school. They were all sports-focused. I want to say the author's name had Christopher in it.

Matt Christopher. A favorite of mine when I was a kid too (despite being totally unathletic in reality).