Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
My G602 wireless mouse has worked great since I've had it with my laptop, with one problem: I can scroll with my mouse but not click with it. This is an issue in some games like R6 Siege and Apex Legends which use clicking with the scroll wheel. What should I do to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
First I'd make sure that it's actually bound in the profile. If that's not it, you've probably got a dead switch, but I would find it unlikely to have failed since that switch gets relatively so few clicks. Before concluding it's hosed, I'd be in there trying to blow it out with compressed air.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
got a new mousepad at the rubber smell is overwhelming

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

NotNut posted:

got a new mousepad at the rubber smell is overwhelming

Oh God yes. I hate that.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflex-Lab-Extended-Stitched-Waterproof/dp/B00WY1BDZE

This is the best mouse pad I've ever owned.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Deathadder V2 Mini is out in Asia and possibly Oceania. Less than 60g; no holes. Tempted by it, although I'm happy with my Kone Pure Ultra so probably won't buyt it given the high price in dollarydoos. Deathadder itself was always a bit big.

Re mousepad chat, I've been pretty happy with the Coolermaster MP510. I was happy with the Roccat Sense Vital, but it lost its coating very quickly (a few months) and now I can't hit poo poo when I switch off to it while my MP510 is drying after a clean. From reading the Mousepad review subreddit, MP510 is one of the go-to middle of the road recommendations (maybe slightly on the faster side). Seems durable. I like the kind of rubbery feel to it, rather than a normal cloth feeling.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 25, 2020

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Hey Mionix get off your butt and reintroduce a decent NAOS. Also really fighting the urge to throw down $30 on a DM 2 Comfy Supreme if you're gonna announce something soon.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

logis posted:

Has anyone tried this mouse out? I still have my Intellimouse 1.1 from ~18 years ago that are now suffering from typically double-clicking when I intend to single-click. I don't know how to fix the double-clicking problem, as it is probably a mechanical problem(?) I had bought 2 or 3 of them for like <30$ total back around 2000/2001; I think that I got my money's worth for sure.

So, I would like to get something similar: large mouse, side buttons, hopefully long life. I am not sure what to get; the Pro Intellimouse seems reasonable. Any other suggestions? I would prefer to try the mouse out in person before buying (especially with regards to size/grip), but it is looking like I will just have to buy it and find out.
I'm taking my own advice and just ordered one. I have larger hands and while the Rival 310 is comfortable enough, it's not the perfect size. Hopefully the Intellimouse Pro is exactly what I'm looking for. Will give a trip report in a couple weeks or whenever I pick it up.

SalTheBard posted:

Oh God yes. I hate that.

Also taking your advice! While 32" would be perfect straight on for my main, the 36" width is long enough where I can angle it to include my work laptop's mouse too (which has terrible tracking problems on the bare desk forcing me to unplug/replug constantly). Thanks!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Joe Man posted:

Also taking your advice! While 32" would be perfect straight on for my main, the 36" width is long enough where I can angle it to include my work laptop's mouse too (which has terrible tracking problems on the bare desk forcing me to unplug/replug constantly). Thanks!

I hope you like it! I've never had a 5mm thick mousepad and it's so loving comfortable. I wish they made a 48 x 24 pad because I want to cover my entire desk in one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SalTheBard posted:

Oh God yes. I hate that.

coming from that one, the new one from gamer's nexus is superior. The weave is much tighter and smoother. Not as thick if that matters but less rubber smell

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

What are people's thoughts on ergonomic mouse pads? I bought a cheapo one a while ago and the memory foam seems dead already so I was looking at getting a new one. I'm willing to spend a little more this time since it did feel better than using no mousepad like I was before but I'm not what to get. Any suggestions?

Money's not a huge deal but I'm from Australia and not everything ships there.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mysticblade posted:

What are people's thoughts on ergonomic mouse pads? I bought a cheapo one a while ago and the memory foam seems dead already so I was looking at getting a new one. I'm willing to spend a little more this time since it did feel better than using no mousepad like I was before but I'm not what to get. Any suggestions?

Don't rest your wrist on your mouse pad. For most people ergonomic mousepads are a trap, encouraging bad hand positioning. You should raise/lower your desk/chair so that it's comfortable to bend just your elbow and not your wrist while holding your mouse. Pictures and explanation: Canada's OSHA

If your doctor has recommended you use one, ask them.

edit: oh yeah, actually wrist rests help with shoulder/neck pain if that's your concern, but if your wrists hurt it's probably because you're putting pressure on them

kaschei fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 26, 2020

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I just popped my mouse open to clean it (highly recommended, that poo poo was gross after 10+ years) but the scroll wheel is still binding. Is there anywhere that sells replacement wheels for an old MX518? Failing that, is there a kind of grease I can use to try to get scrolling to be consistent again?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bbcisdabomb posted:

I just popped my mouse open to clean it (highly recommended, that poo poo was gross after 10+ years) but the scroll wheel is still binding. Is there anywhere that sells replacement wheels for an old MX518? Failing that, is there a kind of grease I can use to try to get scrolling to be consistent again?

if its all gunked up I would think you need a solvent to clean it out first. They actually make electronic safe stuff for cleaning mice and keyboards. Its fairly weak but you can really pour it on to flush out the crap

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mysticblade posted:

If you can find somewhere that sells it, I'm a big fan of the Allsop Wrist Assist instead of the traditional type of wrist rest.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Everyone calls them wrist rests but better usage involves resting the edge of your palm on it and not any part of your wrist.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The only wrist rest you need is a dumbbell. Don't do poo poo that gives you even worse RSI, just get swole and hoverhand all day like a true nerd.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fauxtool posted:

if its all gunked up I would think you need a solvent to clean it out first. They actually make electronic safe stuff for cleaning mice and keyboards. Its fairly weak but you can really pour it on to flush out the crap

The mouse wheel smoothed out after some use, I just cleaned it with a pick and a paper towel. When you say electronic safe solvent, do you mean IPA? I could use some for cleaning my keyboard.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bbcisdabomb posted:

The mouse wheel smoothed out after some use, I just cleaned it with a pick and a paper towel. When you say electronic safe solvent, do you mean IPA? I could use some for cleaning my keyboard.

IPA will probably work, I would use a heatgun or let it sit outside for a bit to make sure that small % of water doesnt stick around.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
why does my keyboard not register certain combinations of three or more keypresses

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NotNut posted:

why does my keyboard not register certain combinations of three or more keypresses

Google 'n key rollover'.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
To expand on that, if it's only certain combinations then it means your keyboard is wired in a matrix setup where that combination of keypresses generates ambiguous results and the keyboard controller just gives up.

It's very common, most non-gaming keyboards don't put a huge priority on 3+ key operations outside of the modifier and special keys commonly used in multi-key combinations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Picked up a Viper Ultimate to see if I like it better than my GPW (with updated firmware that mostly fixes the double click issue). Optical switches are potentially a big advantage but I’ll have to see how they hold up over time. The main clicks are a bit “heavier” than the GPW’s (which are super light) and I think I like it. The shape of the GPW works ever so slightly better for my hand but I like the materials/texturing on the Viper better. Having a dock is nice too.

Seems pretty hard to recommend the GPW when this exists at the same price. Now if Logitech came out with a v2 with optical switches...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Viper Ultimate is cheaper if you don't get the dock. I've had mine a few months and I really like it. It's hard to do optical switches wrong, but I still look at Razer as a trash tier company in terms of reliability and support. Still, I've been super happy with this mouse so far.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have the Anker vertical mouse coming on Wednesday. I've been having wrist pain and I didn't know these vertical mice existed before I read the posts from the past few pages. It was $20, so I figure I can't go wrong. I could have nabbed a Logitech MX Vertical for $75, but I didn't want to spend that much if I didn't know if I liked these things yet.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I love steelseries headsets and mousepads but they cant make a mouse last more than 12 months. Both of the side buttons stopped responding on my rival 310. I was going to get another one but my local Staples had a Razer Basilisk for 30 dollars clearance. It is way better than I could have imagined. I don’t really care for light mice as I kept overshooting all the time so the weight and size is really ideal for me. I might poo poo on razer fanboys but this mouse is really good.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I don't know if I've mentioned it before or not, but I'm absolutely loving my G Wolves - Hati. It's a lightweight honeycombed mouse with a pretty flat profile and a perfect size for my hand. I think it's sub 60g too, and with the stock cable already paracoded (at least I think it is), it's super fun to use.

I went from an absolute brick of a mouse (160g) to this one and it's awesome. I didn't even really know G wolves was a brand until I saw badseed tech review the Skol (I think).

Anyway, thanks for coming to my ted talk.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I went from a 160g+ mouse to a sub 60g mouse and it's amazing

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

SalTheBard posted:

I hope you like it! I've never had a 5mm thick mousepad and it's so loving comfortable. I wish they made a 48 x 24 pad because I want to cover my entire desk in one.
Have had a couple days with the giant ReflexLab mousepad (along with the new MS Intellimouse Pro):

Reflex Lab XXL: It's great! It fits a lot better on the desk than I thought it would and while it's not quite as thick as my SteelSeries one, the coverage is absolutely worth it for the convenience of being able to track on my left with my work mouse. It's a bit slower than my previous ones too but I'll get used to it.

MS Intellimouse Pro: Well, I've finally found the perfect mouse. After coming from SS Rivals, the build quality on the MSIP is leagues better and the larger/heightened shape fits my hand perfectly. Strongly recommend if you have larger hands and are looking for an alternative to the Rival.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any weird issues getting in touch with Logitech recently? My support password isn't being accepted, and I've asked for a reset twice in the last two days with no response.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bieeanshee posted:

Has anyone had any weird issues getting in touch with Logitech recently? My support password isn't being accepted, and I've asked for a reset twice in the last two days with no response.

Reports of their support absolutely collapsing in the wake of COVID was one of the reasons why I went with the $20 Anker instead of the $99 Logitech MX Vertical.

By the way vertical mice own. I swap to my other mouse for gaming, but I've had it a few hours and I feel the pressure off my wrist while I'm working.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oof, that might have some bearing on things.

I might pick up one of those Anker mice, too. I've been getting some grief from the base of my mousing wrist, and that might help.

Thanks!

Edit: I ended up having to create a new account with my e-mail address, which let me log in to my original account.

I have no idea how that works.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 12, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
@Goo

So I found my old K400+. In my current state of "my monitor is dead and my laptop has to be over in such a way as to be murder on my neck and eyeballs if I want to use it," I picked up a 12 foot HDMI cable, and am using my TV as a makeshift display. The K400+ has come in handy, because it's wireless and I can lean back with the keyboard on my lap. And after I use it for a while, I realize why I hated the drat thing so much.

But goddamnit, whoever decided that you are not able to invert the F-keys to be F-keys and not their special functions by default needs to be tarred and feathered. Not everyone is running Windows, and nobody likes bloatware. No, I don't care how thin and light your software may be, it's dumb to be running something that should be handled at the keyboard level.

As it stands, I'm exploring my options for a mod to turn the NO keyswitch of the FN button into an NC, or some other thing that will make me regret life every time I need to use the arrow keys and get home/end/pg dn/pg up instead.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

My Mionix Naos 7000 is starting to die after 4.5 years (judging by my posts in this thread). Because I'm becoming a boomer now and mostly use the PC for work and some gaming I'm thinking of getting a wireless mouse. Is the Logitech G703 the best wireless mouse with a similar sensor?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

lamentable dustman posted:

My Mionix Naos 7000 is starting to die after 4.5 years (judging by my posts in this thread). Because I'm becoming a boomer now and mostly use the PC for work and some gaming I'm thinking of getting a wireless mouse. Is the Logitech G703 the best wireless mouse with a similar sensor?
Logitech's wireless mice are used by pro gamers now because it's more or less identical to a wired connection. And you lose the friction of the wire which has tangible benefits.

I use a g703. It's good. None of the complaints I have should be relevant to you.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What is the most comfortable/useful mouse for productivity? I’m gonna try to learn 3D modeling but my pen only has one button so I’m looking for a mouse. Already experience some carpal tunnel.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

teraflame posted:

What is the most comfortable/useful mouse for productivity? I’m gonna try to learn 3D modeling but my pen only has one button so I’m looking for a mouse. Already experience some carpal tunnel.

Try the Anker vertical mouse. It's $20 and I thought there'd be a learning curve, but there was none. All my wrist strain is gone. Alternatively, invest in a better pen if whatever you're using supports it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's a perfectly fine option, but you could also look at something like a G305 or a Corsair Dark Core Pro if you want some cheaper options that are good. The G305 is a bargain if it does what you need and it isn't an ergonomic nightmare, and the Corsair mouse seems to be perfectly fine except it's heavy and has a bad shape, but a lot of people want that so it probably should get more attention than it does.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015

Had the same mouse, it still worked but the middle mouse button went to poo poo and it started having latency issues. I upgraded to a Logitech G502 SE, didnt go wireless since it was an extra $100. It's a good alternative and I havent had issues, except the lovely up/down DPI. disabled them since I am not an FPS god that needs precision

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The DM2 Comfy Supreme is a decent alternative. Slightly less heavy. Mouse feet take a minute to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Looks like I will being returning that Basilisk V2 to the store. When you click the left mouse button, it makes the whole mouse lift to the left every time. It's good ol' Razer QA at it again =P.