Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

kaschei posted:

Where are you playing? Macros are stored as a text file and on CKO you can get your gooncrawl macros by pressing 'm' instead of 'p' when logging in via console. Or you can find them in your player rcfiles. CKO's are all in https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/rcfiles/crawl-gooncrawl/

Unfortunately the only way to directly edit them is to log in via console and press 'm' instead of 'p' in the appropriate branch. It shouldn't be too hard to copy them manually if you only have a few, but if you have a big bunch of them it's worth logging in via console to edit the macro file directly.

Thanks! I forgot about console login, I'll try that and bug the thread if I can't figure it out.

...apparently I am dumb though, I just cleared Snake Pit wondering why I kept getting poisoned. My rPois ring was safely in my inventory the entire time. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Decided to stop tilting at windmills (e.g. Skele) and tried Gargoyles again, 15-runed the second one I tried (first one died to Zig hubris). They are real real good for 15 runes. What was interesting for me is this was the first time I tried to do some spellcasting, because due to some gear/mutation weirdness I had 17 base int and an earth magic tome and it actually worked out really well! Had song of slaying, rMissle, and spectral weapon all going a lot of the time, stopped using Infusion because it just ate up my MP to not much benefit it felt like. What was especially cool is how much of a game changer spectral weapon was, for me a guy who only does melee fighters. Tomb became alot more interesting with something to draw fire, and also had Holy brand. Not much use in Hell since it'd die and take it's chunk of hit points with it almost immediately, I think there's a strategy to using it I wasn't quite getting.

I think I'll incorporate spelling more if I can, if you guys can confirm my assumptions about how these spells work (apologies if this seems dumb, I'm not really a delve into the min/max kind of guy, instead just screwing around in the game to see what works):
- Song of slaying: Good all the time unless you need stealth
- Infusion: Kind of good, but gets less bang for buck as monsters get tougher/MP gets more precious
- rMissile: All good all the time
- Regen: All good all the time, tempts me to not take Zin for extended
- Spectral weapon: Good when dealing with chaff, but the consistent hits/loss of HP from AoE monsters make it less useful (e.g. hell)

I guess suggestions on any other util, I also had Shroud of Golubria castable but it looked like it needed a bit of management to keep going. I might get further into it with a (gasp) dedicated spell caster, but right now I'm looking for mostly set and forget type stuff.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Are rods back in gooncrawl? I don't see them mentioned in the changelog.

Also, what're the chances of Summon Elemental being reimplemented? I really, really miss Air Elemental spam.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gooncrawl has the lightning rod but that's it.

Scaramouche posted:

I think I'll incorporate spelling more if I can, if you guys can confirm my assumptions about how these spells work (apologies if this seems dumb, I'm not really a delve into the min/max kind of guy, instead just screwing around in the game to see what works):
- Song of slaying: Good all the time unless you need stealth
- Infusion: Kind of good, but gets less bang for buck as monsters get tougher/MP gets more precious
- rMissile: All good all the time
- Regen: All good all the time, tempts me to not take Zin for extended
- Spectral weapon: Good when dealing with chaff, but the consistent hits/loss of HP from AoE monsters make it less useful (e.g. hell)
That's about right. I generally don't worry too much about AoE stuff with spec weap unless your char is fragile - killing things faster generally outweighs the extra damage you'd take.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wouldn't mind getting more of those back, to be honest. They were never a big deal, but rods went a long way towards justifying the existence of the Evocation skill for those who wanted to use them.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 15, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Inacc and Iron rod were my jam. I know scattershot wand exists* but wands are not cool like rods were.

*removed in mainline .25.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

there was a vote and nobody really wanted rods back.

like, they were cool but i don't miss them, and enjoy the evoker implementations much more personally

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't particularly miss them, but that's more because I'm kind of apathetic about them in general and never used them much. They just strike me as one of those things where there was never a good reason to take them out in the first place.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I ascended multiple talismancers, just because rods were that awesome. IIRC many people didn't like rods because you had to equip them for use, kinda fiddly. So rather than just let them be evoked from the inventory they were removed. Of course.

Unfortunately with recharge scrolls removed, reviving rods becomes slightly more complicated. You'd need some other way to enchant them, like perhaps with enchant weapon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

with recharge scrolls removed
:ughh: Because of course they were. I had been wondering why I hadn't seen one of those in a while. Should've known, really.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

bees x1000 posted:

I ascended multiple talismancers, just because rods were that awesome. IIRC many people didn't like rods because you had to equip them for use, kinda fiddly. So rather than just let them be evoked from the inventory they were removed. Of course.

Unfortunately with recharge scrolls removed, reviving rods becomes slightly more complicated. You'd need some other way to enchant them, like perhaps with enchant weapon.
Perhaps a god...I'm brainstorming here...Parellas? Pakelli? I feel like I'm onto something :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And this is why we've left trunk to do... whatever it is they're doing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

readd rods and recharge scrolls

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Are there situations where auto-explore is flat out unsafe?

In my first playthrough it seemed like it brought me within detection distance of named mobs that conned red a few times. Ultimately my hubris was my downfall and not those mobs (and I very much understand that red-dangerous mobs can be killed while low level -- I was playing a sneak-stabber and did it a few times), but it made me question whether it was a good idea to be mashing o blindly .

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Infusion falls off very very fast and I usually stop casting it sometime before lair. Which is fine, it's designed obsolescence in order to carry skalds until they're no longer objectively worse than everything else.

edit:
I mash o all day everyday, but if you find a sleeping out-of-depth monster it pays to learn how to use the exclusions so you can keep mashing o. In super-high-risk areas like branch ends I won't use it, but for normal floors the minor added risk is a very good deal compared to dealing with the player fatigue of manually exploring floors and fat-fingering a death. The 'risk' I mention is it exploring rooms recklessly instead of sticking to easily found LOS blockers; imagine the tedium of doing that on every floor...

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 15, 2020

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Serephina posted:

Infusion falls off very very fast and I usually stop casting it sometime before lair. Which is fine, it's designed obsolescence in order to carry skalds until they're no longer objectively worse than everything else.

edit:
I mash o all day everyday, but if you find a sleeping out-of-depth monster it pays to learn how to use the exclusions so you can keep mashing o. In super-high-risk areas like branch ends I won't use it, but for normal floors the minor added risk is a very good deal compared to dealing with the player fatigue of manually exploring floors and fat-fingering a death. The 'risk' I mention is it exploring rooms recklessly instead of sticking to easily found LOS blockers; imagine the tedium of doing that on every floor...

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still new to the game -- what do you mean by "exclusions"?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also most dangers from mashing o aren't things you'd avoid by exploring manually, other than clearly signposted stuff like branch ends. Either you turned a corner and were right next to a dangerous thing without escape options(which can happen no matter how you're exploring), or you charged into danger instead of retreating or at least drawing out things a few at a time.

Remember that there's nothing you have to kill right now unless it's literally blocking you from escaping up/down stairs. You can come back and kill OOD enemies later if you want the xp/a particular item they have/the satisfaction of killing them.

e:

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still new to the game -- what do you mean by "exclusions"?
If you use x or X to look at a tile, you can hit e and it'll make an exclusion, which means you won't automatically move into the excluded zone & will get a 'are you sure?' prompt if you move there manually. The first press of e makes an exclusion that radiates out to your LOS so you won't accidentally walk into view of something dangerous. If you hit it again it'll only exclude the tile your cursor is on, which is less broadly useful but can be handy for stuff like 'I'm keeping this door closed but don't need to avoid the entire area'. Hitting it a third time removes the exclusion.

There's a few things that automatically create exclusions as well - vaults that spawn damaging clouds, stationary enemies like statues and oklobs, etc.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 15, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Long story short, unlike what you may expect from the name, an exclusion is not something that the autoexplore ignores, but rather a way to define an area where it is excluded from going. I never really got why they didn't call it something more immediately understandable like a prohibited area or a no-go zone myself.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Crawl’s auto explore is really robust and good, and almost everybody mashes ‘o’ all the time. That said, from the perspective of strictly optimal play, it can be dangerous. Personally, learning when not to auto explore was probably the most important thing for me in terms of improving my win rate.

One major issue with auto explore is that even when it doesn’t move you right next to something dangerous, it doesn’t move strategically, and will often put you in situations where retreat is considerably more risky. Generally speaking, you should always keep a plan in the back of your mind for what you’re going to do if the next move reveals enemies you have to run from. When you retreat, you always want retreat through already explored terrain, with ways to break line of sight and minimal unexplored space to your sides. Auto explore won’t consider that at all, and will happily hare off after a couple pieces of gold while leaving you completely open to getting surrounded and having your retreat cut off.

You don’t have to play optimally, though, and it’s fine to just use auto explore all the time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

explore_delay = -1
travel_delay = -1
show_travel_trail = true
autofight_stop = 0

O and Tab, until it is done. For all of my complaints about the game, there's no other roguelike that I can play so quickly. It's quite satisfying to recklessly burn through the dungeon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If we're talking rc options aimed at making you die less:

autofight_stop = 60

autofight_stop determines when the game won't let you lean on tab anymore. I forget what the default is now but higher is better for not dying. Honestly if you wanted to be really safe it should probably be at 70 or above, but I like to live on the edge.

And a really long one:

code:
fmm := force_more_message
fmm += You have reached level
fmm += You fall through a shaft
fmm += LOW HITPOINT WARNING
fmm += don't die
fmm += You are starving
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += .*lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*(s|player) ghost.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
fmm += You have finished your manual
fmm += Found .* abyssal rune of Zot
fmm += You can't survive in this terrain
force_more_message += (Agnes|Aizul|Antaeus|Asmodeus|Asterion|Azrael|Blork the orc|Boris|Cerebov|Crazy Yiuf|Dispater|Dissolution|Donald|Dowan|Duvessa|Edmund|the Enchantress|Ereshkigal|Erica|Erolcha|Eustachio|Fannar|Frances|Frederick|Gastronok|Geryon|Gloorx Vloq|Grinder|Grum|Harold|Ignacio|Ijyb|Ilsuiw|Jessica|Jorgrun|Jory|Joseph|Josephine|Khufu|Kirke|Lamia|the Lernaean hydra|Lom Lobon|Louise|Mara|Margery|Maud|Maurice|Menkaure|Mennas|Mnoleg|Murray|Natasha|Nergalle|Nessos|Nikola|Norris|Pikel|Polyphemus|Prince Ribbit|Psyche|Purgy|Robin|Roxanne|the royal jelly|Rupert|Saint Roka|the Serpent of Hell|Sigmund|Snorg|Sonja|Terence|Tiamat|Urug|Vashnia|Wiglaf|Xtahua).*into view
This forces a --more-- to happen whenever a variety of dangerous things(mostly uniques and stuff you won't see until you make it to zot or extended) appear, and also if a low hp warning triggers(with the gruntlang variation included) or if you fall through a shaft. Some of those uniques don't exist anymore, but :effort:. Anyway, this is good because it makes you stop the otab for a second to see what's making you press space instead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Haifisch posted:

autofight_stop = 60

autofight_stop determines when the game won't let you lean on tab anymore. I forget what the default is now but higher is better for not dying. Honestly if you wanted to be really safe it should probably be at 70 or above, but I like to live on the edge.
This is health percentages, if that didn't become quite clear. The lower your maximum health is and the harder your current enemies hit, the higher you would of course want this to be.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Alright, I'm convinced, I'll continue mashing o with abandon. I'm not concerned with optimal play at all right now, I expect dozens more deaths as I encounter new things for the first time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

that reminds me, I forgot the most important rc option of all:

show_more = false

stupid game making me hit buttons other than o and tab...

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, auto-explore is very robust and very good and I'm...almost surprised that I can't recall any discussion in Trunk arguing for its removal, but that's probably because it's easy enough to disable the key if you're worried about mistyping it.

Once upon a time there was a serious strain of discussion along the lines of 'you should never auto-explore before Lair' (or, I think it was honestly probably Hive, at that time), because you're not guaranteed to have the escape tools available if the auto-explore dumps you out into a fight in the middle of a big open room without exploring possible escape options first, but I think that disappeared over time because 1) maximally safe play is not maximally efficient/fast play, which is what the more 'elite' players seem to be focused on now, and 2)OOD spawning became less prevalent and punishing. At one time OOD generation was determined by uncapped exploding die rolls and could occur for anything that spawned, so you could just as easily find an artifact GDA on level 1 as you could a gold dragon. I might be misremembering, but I believe that this was very, very quickly replaced by a system that only performed OOD spawns for enemies after you'd been lingering on a level too long, and eventually replaced by the current system where spawns dry up rapidly forcing you to continue moving on through the dungeon instead of waiting around on earlier floors until they get too dangerous to farm.

The long story short is that hell yes auto-explore, but understand that sometimes it's worth poking around a bit manually to figure out the lay of the land, especially in places like branch ends so you don't stumble into the vault before you're ready. Also remember that ancient versions of Crawl were bad and funny in equal measure by current standards.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

In a lot of places you should be using shift+movement to crawl along walls to minimize exposure when you do run into something you don't want to tab.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

that reminds me, I forgot the most important rc option of all:

show_more = false

stupid game making me hit buttons other than o and tab...
Casual "eh, I'll just O-Tap until I die, whatever" is one thing. You've actually put work into not putting in work. That's terrifying.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I'm an "auto-explore" unless I'm in a new scary branch or wide open area that I am worried about getting swarmed in.

Also big fan of doing this for several floors before doing a cursory search for "art" and finding I missed a bunch of cool stuff along the way because I wasn't paying attention.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm an "auto-explore" unless I'm in a new scary branch or wide open area that I am worried about getting swarmed in.

Also big fan of doing this for several floors before doing a cursory search for "art" and finding I missed a bunch of cool stuff along the way because I wasn't paying attention.

Put artefacts into your autopickup! If the docs aren't clear how to do it you can check my rcfile (trunk on most servers would have it) or my posts in the old lp thread. Or I guess I can find it for you later.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
is there a way I can -exclude- the 'more' function from certain things? I.e. enemy deaths? It gets tedious hitting the spacebar over and over when ignition frying zigs and chain-reaction killing 50 chaff mobs at a time.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If show_more is true, anytime more than a screen's worth of messages appears it will show a --more-- prompt, and there's no way to change that based on the contents of the buffer.

You can ignore certain lines with the message_colour option; the learndb recommends the following for summoners:
code:
message_colour ^= mute:Your.*(bites|misses|hits|claws|gores)
(^= will put the rule at the beginning of your message colour options, and the first one matched in a line determines its "colour" (including mute). Use += to put a rule at the end.)

I don't know what exactly fills your messages during ignition but something similar may help.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Another quick newbie question: can I see the enchantment level of weapons and armor without picking them up and wearing/wielding them? Like do I have to check every dagger in case its a +9 dagger of murdering, or can I rely on the descriptions I see with x?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Another quick newbie question: can I see the enchantment level of weapons and armor without picking them up and wearing/wielding them? Like do I have to check every dagger in case its a +9 dagger of murdering, or can I rely on the descriptions I see with x?
No, you can't really tell how good a weapon is without wield-testing or identifying it, although if you see a monster use a weapon and get a special effect out of it, that will be noted down by the game, I think. Otherwise, "glowing" and "runed" and whatever just mean that it's not a vanilla +0 weapon with nothing special to it. It doesn't even mean that the enchantment value is positive, because cursed weapons also glow.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

No, you can't really tell how good a weapon is without wield-testing or identifying it, although if you see a monster use a weapon and get a special effect out of it, that will be noted down by the game, I think. Otherwise, "glowing" and "runed" and whatever just mean that it's not a vanilla +0 weapon with nothing special to it. It doesn't even mean that the enchantment value is positive, because cursed weapons also glow.

Ok cool, so long story short, if I'm training axes (for example), then probably a good idea to check axes I roll across?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ok cool, so long story short, if I'm training axes (for example), then probably a good idea to check axes I roll across?
If you already have a +0 war axe at mindelay, you probably shouldn't bother with glowing hand axes, but generally yes, as long as you can afford to deal with it if it's cursed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's not really worth it unless there's a realistic chance of the weapon being an upgrade for you, but if you see a magical weapon in the same class you're already using or better and you have some Scrolls of Remove Curse at hand, it's always worth trying. Well, unless it's a distortion weapon, then you may end up in the Abyss for your trouble.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PMush Perfect posted:

If you already have a +0 war axe at mindelay, you probably shouldn't bother with glowing hand axes, but generally yes, as long as you can afford to deal with it if it's cursed.

I'd take an elec handaxe over a normal war axe. Also you should be checking every axe for flaming as hydra preventative.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Weapon ID metagame does have a couple of complications, yes; you'll more or less pick up on those as you go, but just be aware that if you try to wield every magic weapon you come across, you'll find a few that are branded with effects that have a negative affect when unequipped. The biggest of these being the rare distortion brand, which, when unequipped, can deal enough damage to one-shot an early-game character or teleport you to a very-nasty/capital-F-Fun zone called the Abyss. The benefit is that the distortion brand is potentially extremely powerful because it can do these things to your enemies every time you hit them with it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

After a certain point, the Abyss is more of a nuisance than a real danger, so it's a brand that gets more useful as you progress through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I'd take an elec handaxe over a normal war axe. Also you should be checking every axe for flaming as hydra preventative.
That’s a fair point, as long as you don’t get too attached to a subpar weapon. My usual rule of thumb is going by Damage + Enchantment for what’s best, all else being equal.