Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Holy poo poo Richard Boone out of nowhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Anyone got any suggestions for good ability card loadouts? I currently have Paint it Black I, Strange Medicine I, Live For The Fight I and Peak Condition selected. I'm looking for both PvE and PvP loadouts because while most of the time I'm either doing solo PvE missions or hunting/collecting/roaming, I do enjoy a little of the ol' rootin' tootin' player shootin'.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for good ability card loadouts? I currently have Paint it Black I, Strange Medicine I, Live For The Fight I and Peak Condition selected. I'm looking for both PvE and PvP loadouts because while most of the time I'm either doing solo PvE missions or hunting/collecting/roaming, I do enjoy a little of the ol' rootin' tootin' player shootin'.

this is by no means a 'git gud' post but i barely found uses for any of them. the one with the hat is p good tho.

if you are putting bullets in heads as a matter of course the cards just seem to be mild buffs for doing that anyway. i guess the dead eye ones are probably the most practical but dead eye still feels like an interruption more than a perk.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hexenritter posted:

Depends on your aim mode and what you’re doing.

If you’re playing Free Aim, change to assisted aim and play with a controller. You’ll like it a whole lot more. Free aim sessions require you to use Paint It Black or Sniper builds to be viable. It’s awful.

General PVP and Free Roam (pick this one)
- Slow & Steady
- Fool Me Once
- Never Without One
- Iron Lung

The meta is around headshots. Deny them headshots. Be beefy as poo poo. Pistol builds will never ever kill you. Snipers can’t one shot you.

Need to snipe? Change out Fool Me Once for Sharpshooter. But change back when you’re done. Snipers can’t one shot you but you’ll be able to one shot squishies with that build. Fool Me Once will not save you from a sniper. If you’re hit, you should immediately drink a health tonic in cover.

Never Without One will save your life ALL. THE. TIME. And getting your hat shot off procs Fool Me Once.

You can’t lose a fight if you can’t die.

You don’t need sustain cards for a General PVP build. That’s what tonics are for.

If you have a moment, check your opponent’s build in the player list.

Sustain for PVE
- Quite and Inspirations OR A Moment to Recuperate
- Strange Medicine
- Fool Me Once
- Iron Lung

PVE is too easy to worry about a specific build for freeroam content in the open world. So you don’t REALLY need this build. Definitely don't worry about it until after you’ve built the general PvP build above.

A sustain build is so you don’t need to waste any of your tonics and can save them for PVP situations. Use this build for Legendary Bounties or maybe clearing out large NPC camps. Don’t just mindlessly run around in this build where other players can catch you. The general PVP build should be your default build to give you the best chance of winning any fights. You won’t have time to switch once the player is on you.

Strange Medicine is your primary heal. Just keep killing. Use the activated ability only when you’re surprised by a lot of fire at once and after you find cover.

All PVE content sucks in Red Dead Online.

So live for the PVP in the open world. Be ready to fight at a moment’s notice. Pick on anyone that pops up on your radar. Stay in your PVP build 99% of the time. PVE content is too easy to need a PVE build.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 13, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Also I’m on mobile so I hope this link works. I have a bunch of guides available for other things too.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ZestyCrabLegs/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides

Edit: That's weird. My Horse chart was deleted from Steam. I still have it. Attempting to re-upload it. In the meantime, here it is.

Black Arabian is the best horse for more reasons than this spreadsheet may indicate. It's all in the guide.

editedit: I went through all the guides and steam just decided to delete a lot of images for no reason.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 13, 2020

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh nice, Zesty! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I'm definitely going to be keeping that info handy from now on.

I've been mostly using a controller because the PC control scheme is so awkward. I much prefer mouse aim in most games but I've got so used to using the controller's auto-aim when hunting for small critters and for landing ezpz headshots in this, whereas in GTAV I only used the controller for driving/flying.

edit: Thanks for that horse chart too. Trying to view horse stats in the stables takes forever because they just had to add those extra steps for checking out each horse rather than having the stats visible in the list. Same goes for saddles.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 13, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zesty posted:

All PVE content sucks in Red Dead Online.

Legendary Bounties are pretty good.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I played a lot at PC Online launch... I don't hate the PvE. I tend to prefer it over the PvP. Then again, that's a general rule for most games, so I guess if you prefer one over in other games, you'll probably prefer it the same way in this???

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the main story:
Poor Buell.
I got the vision stag. It's a neat little touch that your spirit animal changes depending on your moral.
Guarma felt really pointless. At least with Mexico you meet Landon Ricketts and Rockstar tries to say something about revolutions and foreign intervention.
I really wish Sadie Adler was the main character.

Hunting is both fun and frustrating. It's frustrating that not every animal is in perfect condition and that you constantly have to change your weapons and ammo when you hunt animals. But when you finally nail a perfect pelt it feels really good. Hunting legendary animals is also fun because you really feel like you're tracking some mythic beast.
The eating and body weight system was extremely frustrating. In the end I felt that it was completely impossible to keep Arthur at even normal weight.
The hair growing system felt really good though. Having to grow your beard and hair was a nice way of making the character seem alive.
Rockstar really nailed the open world this time. It really feels like a living place. There's a ton off stuff to do unlike other open worlds that feels empty.
As usual the environments looks loving amazing while the actual humans looks stiff. It gets embarrassing when you compare the game to games like HZD or Uncharted 4 which is older and yet has better facial animations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Alhazred posted:

The eating and body weight system was extremely frustrating. In the end I felt that it was completely impossible to keep Arthur at even normal weight.
It's scripted to be harder as the disease progresses

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

None of this is to try to convince you that you should ignore this stuff--it's fun, give it a try, see if you like it! I only raise it to say that it's not mandatory to go forward, and if you don't find particular aspects of the game's content fun, you probably can skip it and just focus on the stuff you do like (compare again to ubisoft where you're gimping yourself pretty hard if you don't hunt down 3 rare monkeys to craft a larger ammo bag or whatever).

For as bad as rockstar mangled the online, I think they did a really good job with giving you freedom to do what you want in the single player. If you want to spend hours hunting and fishing and searching for perfect pelts, you can, but there's never really a point where you have to grind or do something you don't like just to get to the parts you do enjoy. Unless you hate the story missions, then uh, well I guess that's too bad
One thing I really like about the game, is they fixed the urgency. Like there are times where it's logical for you to do something immediately.

But a lot of times characters will just kind of sit in one spot for an extended period of time, sometimes with a generic, "Hey Arthur" to not seem too robotic. In past Rockstar games, it felt like the story was constantly pushing forward and exploring the world felt wrong. But this game actually gives you some time to breath narratively.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

NICO MY COUSIN :buddy:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

It's scripted to be harder as the disease progresses

Yes, but even before Arthur got tb I just couldn't fatten him up

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Fattening Arthur up isn't really hard. Just have three meals a day (Meat, cheese, veggies) with beer for lunch and dinner and don't forget to treat yourself to a candybar at night. Once he is fat, it's pretty easy to maintain.

Dick Trauma posted:

NICO MY COUSIN :buddy:
I mean RDR2 kind of does that with stuff like having to save Bill out of nowhere, it's just engaging and exciting. I wish more poo poo like that was in the game.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 16, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just went through one of those Rockstar scripted sequences that made me want to throw my controller out the window. I was collecting a debt and the dude jumped on a horse. Since it's a Rockstar game the horse had a rocket up its rear end, so I chased after it as best I could and tried to lasso him.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to throw the lasso. I thought it would be like a gun: select, aim, pull the right trigger. It was hard enough just trying to aim at the horse without falling behind. At one point I managed to get Arthur to swing the lasso, but not throw the goddamn thing.

After chasing that bastard across Hell and Christendom and dosing my horse with tonic I finally managed to throw the lasso successfully.

I hogtied the debtor, looted his treasure map and despite trying to play this game as a decent person shot the son of a bitch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If it helps, there's no way to be a decent person.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Approximately ten seconds after I try to be a decent person in-game, some pedestrian jumps in front of my horse and next thing you know I have a decent bounty on my head. WTF

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Getting a murder bounty because someone walked into your horse is a matter of when, not if

Also choking out a rando while trying to mount your horse in St. Denis

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I tried to play as a good guy all the way through my first time too and let me tell you: the games called red dead redemption. Its most fun and is most satisfying when theres something to redeem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Look I just want to pat my horse, ride around and occasionally down a cold can of beans.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Look I just want to pat my horse, ride around and occasionally down a cold can of beans.

You'll punch your horse, ride around, and eat 12 wheels of cheese cans of beans.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Dameius posted:

You'll punch your horse, ride around, and eat 12 wheels of cheese cans of beans.

Ride into a tree/rock/fence

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also choking out a rando while trying to mount your horse in St. Denis

I choked out some poor rando lady in St Denis scrambling to get on my horse because

I accidentally punched some poor loving dude for no reason

It's a RDR right of passage, really

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Wolfsheim posted:

Getting a murder bounty because someone walked into your horse is a matter of when, not if

In all the hours I spent looking for a Gaucho hat near Strawberry, I ended up finding one on a stagecoach-man who was riding by, near Lagras. As I stalked him, from the opposite direction came a random stranger occurrence of someone bleeding out and needing help...I would find out later. I'd find out later, as I couldn't do it now because the stagecoach-man, unprovoked, ran into the dying man's horse, and killed him. Of course, now he was panicked and started to run, so I dashed after him, hogtied him, and got his hat.

And his dumbass thought he would go tell the law on ME?!

Unlikely. I took his hat, then I told him if he squealed, I'd take his life. :clint:

And that's the story of how I got my hat. Even as nice as I tried to be, it involved someone dying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

I choked out some poor rando lady in St Denis scrambling to get on my horse because

I accidentally punched some poor loving dude for no reason

It's a RDR right of passage, really
I killed a sheep, then someone saw me and I had to kill him before he reported the crme, then someone saw me killing him and I had to kill yet again to escape a bounty.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Red Dead Redemption 2: trapped in a cycle of murdering witnesses

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2: trapped in a cycle of murdering witnesses

I killed someone outside Rhodes before and in a series of daisy chaining witness murdering, ended up at Valentine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was taking the long ride to Emerald Ranch to see what Hosea wanted and came across a woman pinned under a dead horse. I gave her a ride back to Valentine, and while there took a look at a bounty poster. Wasn't interested in pursuing it, so I rode to Emerald Ranch and realized that bounty missions automatically take precedence, and if you abandon it you get sent all the way back to Valentine. :smith:

EDIT: I also found a strange armored door in the back of the pharmacy. I pulled my mask up and was going to try sticking up whomever was inside but the game wouldn't let me draw a weapon and I couldn't open the door.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 15, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

TotalLossBrain posted:

Approximately ten seconds after I try to be a decent person in-game, some pedestrian jumps in front of my horse and next thing you know I have a decent bounty on my head. WTF

Wolfsheim posted:

Welcome to Rockstareality. I honestly don't recall if GTA3 had suicidal peds, but Vice City had people *constantly* diving out into traffic. *Cops* did it. Safer to drive on the loving sidewalk, sometimes. In RDO, I'm riding the biggest horse available, snorting and farting and making GBS threads down the road, shaking the earth with every step of the might hooves, and random idiot wanders out and freaks because HORF rumbled past ten feet away.

About ready to start roping and dragging 'em yelling "HANG UP AND WALK!" :unsmigghh:

Aww, game moved my camp from just across from Lakay in the Gator Autonomous Zone to over by the mudflat shack north of St Denis, where you meet that one gunfighter and the bounty hunters in single-player. Nowhere near the gator population, but multiple pelican flights were annihilated.

Good think there weren't more gators, though, because I got the "pelts/hides despawn in your hands" glitch again. :smith:

Did the Legendary bounty on the arsonist, and either I got lucky with the tracking arrow, or he can't throw molotovs well when de-staminaed, because he put one right into the carriage horses and all his buds kept trying to rescue a charcoal briquet. :supaburn:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: I also found a strange armored door in the back of the pharmacy. I pulled my mask up and was going to try sticking up whomever was inside but the game wouldn't let me draw a weapon and I couldn't open the door.

You're going to have to ask the clerk from the pharmacy to let you in.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Dick Trauma posted:

I was taking the long ride to Emerald Ranch to see what Hosea wanted and came across a woman pinned under a dead horse. I gave her a ride back to Valentine, and while there took a look at a bounty poster. Wasn't interested in pursuing it, so I rode to Emerald Ranch and realized that bounty missions automatically take precedence, and if you abandon it you get sent all the way back to Valentine. :smith:

You can view/read the bounty notices, just escape back out of them to decline. D'oh, that's in Online.

There's a number of "hidden" missions like that door, but they only activate once you hear gossip related to 'em. Wander around, do white-dot encounters, and eventually you'll gain the needed info. You may also get rewarded with free store items (use for expensive stuff, don't accidentally use the freebie on your crippling bean habit), and sometimes other things - kind of like that bike thief or the "get me to the airport" encounters in GTAV.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're going to have to ask the clerk from the pharmacy to let you in.

Sure, ask.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It took me a long time to work up the confidence to ride a horse through saint denis because people there behave like Russian insurance fraudsters but I think I’ve finally got the finesse to handle it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm playing story because I picked this up on sale a couple weeks ago and anyway I went to Beaver Hollow early because I wanted beaver pelts. I found out the hard way they do not have beaver pelts there. Genuinely spooked in my cowboy game.

I went nearly all the way to the state line because there was no way I was sleeping in Roanoke Valley after that. I thought I'd just stop to make coffee, I was far enough away. I thought wrong. For my next trip into the valley for a treasure map I went completely tooled up with bandolier, Krag-Jorgensen and pump gun, and I was not disappointed. The game's scripted travel encounters are probably the best ever? Fallout 1 & 2 don't even compare that well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Any recommendations on where to find oleander? Making poison arrows is a real pain.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bookmark these.

Collectors Map
For your Collector Items in Online. Also provides heatmaps for all the animals and provides exact locations of every herb spawn.

Interactive Map
This will have all your single player goodies.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's a pandemic and Rockstar has put out NO new content since, like, November. Really capitalizing on opportunity there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:gonk: Face full of bloody sputum from some dude with TB

EDIT: Did not expect to run into a paleontologist.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 16, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zesty posted:

Interactive Map
This will have all your single player goodies.

quote:

Upgrade to pro to remove ads and get extra features!
lol, I think I don't need those locations that desperately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Zesty posted:

It's a pandemic and Rockstar has put out NO new content since, like, November. Really capitalizing on opportunity there.
I was hoping they would just release RDR1 as paid DLC, I would buy it in a heartbeat.