Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I think Harry Potter ended up working quite well in this respect because the first three books are very standalone (and thus allow for more liberal editing), but you can see the same issues appear as the series go on and the films get longer and longer until the last one got split in two to fit everything in. And even the early ones feel a bit odd at times because each 2 hour film is based on a book that spans an entire school year.

It's really evident with Order of the Phoenix, where they turned the (by-far) longest book into the second-shortest movie. And even with that they still added some original scenes. I remember after watching the movie feeling like it had been edited down from a cut at least twice as long and anyone who hadn't read the book would be completely lost. I don't think Alan Rickman even had any dialogue in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I think another problem with YA adaptations in general is that a lot of them basically end up telling the exact same story with just enough parts changed or shifted around to give the illusion of originality, so a lot of people hear the premise and go "oh, its another Hunger Games/Harry Potter/Twilight knock-off, pass".

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1272232301225807874

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It would be heroic if they'd used it to make anything interesting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bautista's kid spy movie, My Spy, got sold to Amazon and will just show up on Prime at the end of the month.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I know I saw a preview for My Spy before CATS, but am I hallucinating or didn't a few ads for it run on TV earlier this year?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was supposed to come out early this year but got delayed. They apparently decided not to wait any longer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It was supposed to come out right when the pandemic hit. The closed theater near me still has a ton of posters for it up.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Tato posted:

The Josh Gad extreme amount of voice over starts as soon as the movie begins and rarely lets up. I can’t believe they thought that voice was anything but awful. Real “Little Nicky” levels of “who the gently caress told him to speak that way and why in the world did you make him do it the entire film?”

And then Judi Dench does the same voice, lol.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This probably isnt news to most of you, but I was thinking this morning "what ever happened to uwe boll"
Which brought me to his final movie
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage:_President_Down

quote:

Three years after his second killing spree at a TV station in Washington D.C. (following which he was presumed dead in a massive explosion), Bill Williamson returns from hiding and, using a sniper rifle, assassinates the President of the United States, as well as the Vice-President and the Secretary of Defense (which happens off-camera).
While hiding out at his hut in the nearby woods, Bill then taunts the authorities, preparing for a final assault in which he expects to die as a martyr of his own cause, further establishing his iconic legacy. At the climax, Bill takes on and kills dozens more policemen who assault his strongpoint in the woods, but after killing off all of the police, Bill is fatally wounded and later dies. However, news of his death prompts thousands of people all across the US to finally act upon their anger towards the elite and wealthy people, as instructed in Bill's former video statements, resulting in nationwide chaos. It ends with a TV station reporting on all the mass shootings and chaos before the station itself is attacked by a gunman, who approaches the camera and claims that Williamson changed his life before shooting the camera.
And seeing that plot summary, i mean, how can you not immediately watch it on youtube?? It's there in full.

I havent seen the first two uhh Rampages (or any uwe boll now that i really think about it) but this poo poo is to die for. Elements of Neil Breen and Birdemic, with an over the top hilariously cheaply made Christopher Dorner type story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This probably isnt news to most of you, but I was thinking this morning "what ever happened to uwe boll"
Which brought me to his final movie
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage:_President_Down

And seeing that plot summary, i mean, how can you not immediately watch it on youtube?? It's there in full.

I havent seen the first two uhh Rampages (or any uwe boll now that i really think about it) but this poo poo is to die for. Elements of Neil Breen and Birdemic, with an over the top hilariously cheaply made Christopher Dorner type story.

Related to this, a few days ago I was listening to his interview on The Movies That Made me, and he came across as a lot more interesting and eloquent than you'd expect. Way more substantive than any conversation Breen or Tommy Wiseau could generate:

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-movies-that-made-me/uwe-boll/

Also it's a shame his restaurant closed because it got pretty good reviews:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...rticle26235933/

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Josh Gad is the one who won the contest to be in the Artemis Fowl movie, when he was a kid.

You either die a hero, yadda yadda yadda

https://twitter.com/Saberspark/status/1272206600246353924

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Quibi is the Ouya of streaming services.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boll now runs a restaurant. Seriously.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bauhaus-uwe-boll-50-best-1.4068136

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How in the hell did Quibi raise 17.5 billion dollars.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The book on Theranos was fun disaster reading and I'm sure there'll be some goofy stories about Quibi. That's it's real contribution.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you've ever wondered where all the rich people's money goes now that they don't pay any taxes, it's on things like this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

1.75 b

which is still a lot of hedgefund writeoffs

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Quibi was almost certainly doomed from inception, but having a streaming service for people on the go launch during the biggest lockdown in recent history is ironic in the Alanis Morrisette way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how Nintendo's release of Animal Crossing New Horizons is so very suspiciously apropos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alan Smithee posted:

1.75 b

which is still a lot of hedgefund writeoffs

Oh, phew, thank god I read that wrong.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

whydirt posted:

Quibi was almost certainly doomed from inception, but having a streaming service for people on the go launch during the biggest lockdown in recent history is ironic in the Alanis Morrisette way.

I’m probably on my phone now more than I’ve ever been since lockdown. They massively hosed up this operation not only because all the content seemed like complete crap, but part of the model is that the app has no way of sharing the content across social media, therefore nobody gets poo poo for free, nor do they have any way of hearing about it, which is just so backwards in the 2020 ad landscape.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm watching more right now content than I have in a very long time. The only thing that vaguely interested me in their lineup was 50 States of Fright, but even then the format doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to watch a bunch of short form content, regardless of quality. Most of the stuff I watch on YouTube is 20-30 minutes, and most of the stuff I watch on Instagram is 15 seconds and made by my friends.

Like, nobody watches short films to begin with. Oates Studios is probably the most ambitious short film push in years and that has a super limited fan base. Why build an entire service around shorts to compete with free throwaway content that already has social networking features built around it?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

I assume once a few big names dropped enough money on it, a feedback loop started where potential investors saw how much was being invested, thought to themselves “wow, something with this much money behind it can’t possibly fail!” and invested themselves, perpetuating the cycle until funding ballooned to an impossible size that was then promptly pissed away by producing expensive, embarrassing content nobody actually wants to watch, delivered in the most backwards way possible.

I am thoroughly convinced that the people who have the most money are the very last people who should have it, for these reasons and many others.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, if I were incredibly wealthy I'd also produce a bunch of stupid garbage. But mine would be cool stupid garbage.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, if I were incredibly wealthy I'd also produce a bunch of stupid garbage. But mine would be cool stupid garbage.

Isn’t that basically the entire mission statement of Annapurna Pictures?

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 15, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

:same:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The book on Theranos was fun disaster reading and I'm sure there'll be some goofy stories about Quibi. That's it's real contribution.

Bad Blood was a masterpiece of non-fiction writing, just an utterly ridiculous roller coaster

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Alibaba and saudis is everyone's go to, but money is unlimited now. But if it makes you feel better, they got 1b first run and could only do half 2nd round.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I totally misread. 1.75 billion isn't great but thank christ it's not 17.5 billion.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I assume once a few big names dropped enough money on it, a feedback loop started where potential investors saw how much was being invested, thought to themselves “wow, something with this much money behind it can’t possibly fail!” and invested themselves, perpetuating the cycle until funding ballooned to an impossible size that was then promptly pissed away by producing expensive, embarrassing content nobody actually wants to watch, delivered in the most backwards way possible.

That is literally how Theranos got funded.

Taintrunner posted:

Bad Blood was a masterpiece of non-fiction writing, just an utterly ridiculous roller coaster

:agreed:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The best thing about Theranos was one of the early investors showing up for his interview in the HBO documentary wearing a bitcoin tie.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The only thing that vaguely interested me in their lineup was 50 States of Fright, but even then the format doesn't appeal to me.

Any excuse to post this again.

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

The best thing about Theranos was one of the early investors showing up for his interview in the HBO documentary wearing a bitcoin tie.

I have seen a person in the wild wearing Bitcoin T-Shirt. I actually had to double take that one.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I must see the golden armed woman, goddamn.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Like does quibi even have a desktop option gently caress watching on s phone

I’d look it up but I’m on a phone

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nope, it's phone only because you have to be able to rotate your phone to see the alternate view.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Aha haha loving amateur hour

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it looks like a TV option is getting patched in at some point?

https://collider.com/quibi-watch-on-tv-computer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They’re going to declare bankruptcy right after they do