Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I hope you guys keep these lists around so you can revisit them when you finish the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Neo Rasa posted:

I never knew this, I too thought the entire station was five miles.

I only learned it reading an interview a few months ago, from a very spoiler-heavy website that I'll link in the main B5 thread.

edit: Also, this, very much:

Polaron posted:

I hope you guys keep these lists around so you can revisit them when you finish the show.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 12, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheAardvark posted:

my list is every alien in the show followed by every human in the show

Honestly, that's me with most sci-fi series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Polaron posted:

Same, this is the best thread

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I just started a new D&D campaign as a charismatic paladin. I made it half way in to the first session before I realized I had been, basically, roleplaying G'Kar.

By the way, VideoGames told me they are back to watching the show, so we should soon have a third blind watcher. I can't believe we have 3 people simultaneously watching this show from 1993 but it rules!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Also my mom has some kind of eidetic memory for 60s TV shows and asked me if that was Billy Mumy during a Lennier scene. I just set her up with my Amazon account so she might be watching it too :getin:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

Also my mom has some kind of eidetic memory for 60s TV shows and asked me if that was Billy Mumy during a Lennier scene. I just set her up with my Amazon account so she might be watching it too :getin:

Get her an account here too so she can :justpost:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

McCloud posted:

Get her an account here too so she can :justpost:

He might have to change his avatar first.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

He might have to change his avatar first.

"Actually mom it's ironic because as you can see from the flashing text the mods of the extremely not vulgar Something Awful forums will NOT make this someone's avatar"

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheAardvark posted:

Your mom must be a huge Lost in Space fan because I loved that show growing up and even I didn’t realize who it was for several episodes. (I think I missed his name in the credits for a while)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And we’re back!

S2ep01 - Points of Departure

“A change is coming. Sinclair was the first. There will be others.”

Jan 8th - my dad’s birthday!

2010 looking starship there with the big rotating section. I guess we don’t have gravity sorted at all.

5 days ago, Sinclair recalled to Earth, and replaced by Captain Tron, and now he’s the Earth ambassador to Minbar. That’s one way to facilitate a sudden actor change.

Shiny new titles, with what looks like a bit more money pumped into it. “The year the Great War came upon us all” - oh good, nice and ominous. Also, General Hague/Field Marshall Haig to tie in with the Great War title. Shame the titles have already spoiled what Delenn will look like out of the chrysalis. :argh:

Sheridan and Ivanova’s mini tour showing off some fancy new looking corridors, and it’s now really busy everywhere. Lots of bustle is making the place feel real. His speech is trite, but a brief insight into his character. Spoiled youth, rich upbringing, now a captain of a big starship.

Robin Sachs has such a distinct voice, I pegged him immediately even with full makeup. When he’s telling Sheridan about the neckbeard Minbari, and the Tragati, this little Japanese flute plays like ‘you get it? It’s like the Japanese that didn’t surrender!’ just to pound you with the allegory.

OH! Lennier just dropping some major exposition there. I feel like that was meant to come out at the end of last season, but they couldn’t make it fit. I definitely didn’t miss it, did I? Minbari souls being reborn into humans is a mind blowing concept, and for it just to come out in this little exposition scene seems pretty flat. That said, what has happened to Sinclair exactly? The quote I picked above is very intriguing. The first what??

And here’s starfury pilot guy! He’s been here all along!

Interesting opening doing lots of work, so the plot itself is fairly slim. Sheridan seems nice enough, if bland, blond, and smiley.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are you all on track to try and stay a few episodes within each other again? If someone is 5 eps in to season 2 and someone starts s3 the whole thread just needs to be blacked out for safety.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
yeah we're at the same spot at the moment, I'm going to mostly stick to one ep a day from here

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Just a thought about 2:1

Mod edit - Don't post spoilers like this

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 15, 2020

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sad King Billy posted:

Just a thought about 2:1

Why are you posting this if you're not a first timer?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
yeah I was going to say that sounds like you're trying to point out something we should pay attention to and that is not great

I mean if you're doing that I can infer a lot of things about that, big overaching poo poo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you're not a first time viewer, please don't post spoilers without at least labeling it as such.

I know everyone has different standards for spoilers, but try to be as cautious as possible.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Why are you posting this if you're not a first timer?

Absolutely nothing relating past 2:1 in that spoiler. I can assure you of that but I'll stay in other thread from now on.

I put it in a spoiler because I didn't know if Aardvark or The Doctor were the only people doing the watch-through.

Sad King Billy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 15, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Glad to see a new watch; look forward to reading the reactions.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Sad King Billy posted:

Absolutely nothing relating past 2:1 in that spoiler. I can assure you of that but I'll stay in other thread from now on.

I put it in a spoiler because I didn't know if Aardvark or The Doctor were the only people doing the watch-through.

:justpost: them in the main thread in tviv.

There's couple rewatchers there, but no organized reviewing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
So how do you guys like the B5 soundtrack and -scape so far?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pentyne posted:

Are you all on track to try and stay a few episodes within each other again? If someone is 5 eps in to season 2 and someone starts s3 the whole thread just needs to be blacked out for safety.

Even if someone else starts a blind watch the day the OP finishes the show I'd still want to see them post their thoughts as they view it in this thread. I know i'm not the only one who would be interested in those posts.

This is more the place first time watchers put their thoughts about shows so they don't accidentally read a spoiler so it should be spoiler heavy. Once they're done actual discussion can happen in the other thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

adhuin posted:

So how do you guys like the B5 soundtrack and -scape so far?

Nothing super memorable so far really, soundtrack-wise. During S1 Franke seemed very fond of just playing the theme tune during action sequences, which felt slightly lazy, but it’s a good theme.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sad King Billy posted:

Absolutely nothing relating past 2:1 in that spoiler.

I don't think I agree with that, but it's a matter to discuss more in the other thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I remember HATING Sheridan after the first episode of season 2.

He shared a lot of mannerisms with my worst bully at school (yay high school) and it triggered me hard. He had this whole “I’m the golden child” thing going on and just insta rage.

I’m not going to comment on if that feeling changed or not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Nothing super memorable so far really, soundtrack-wise. During S1 Franke seemed very fond of just playing the theme tune during action sequences, which felt slightly lazy, but it’s a good theme.

I am interested to see what folks think of it as it goes on. It's interesting in that each season as besides the intro changing there's some unique score in each season.

JMS switched composers for the spin off series Crusade and the movie that leads into that and like, I appreciate him wanting to go for a different feel since they were introducing a new crew/scenario/everything to get a different kind of show going but dang. I didn't like what the new person had made at all. But I haven't seen Crusade in so long I can barely remember the music at all now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am just skipping to the end briefly (I have made a mark where I am up to with the thread) to let you all know I have been able to resume watching this show and am on a high from And the Sky Full Of Stars.

This is my favourite episode so far.

If there is one thing I love in stories it is murky backstory teased out slowly. Doubly so if it comes with huge questions that give the impression of being interesting.

What happened to Sinclair is partially revealed. Delenn being there was something I wondered about because so far he has been most friendly to her compared to the other ambassadors. In fact he gets her a gift and they have a little spot they like to relax. I wondered if she is not an ambassador as such but more a watcher making sure he does not reveal whatever happened.

This confirmed it but still teased why the Minbari surrendered! I want to know! Haha I love the feeling of needing to know something in fiction I am invested in.

O’Hare acted his heart out a ton in this and I loved that shot of half his face covered in darkness while he recalled what happened.

Also I thought it was awesome that the dude from Wrath of Kahn got some more work after accidentally getting himself uncredited from that film!

The newspaper saying the psi corps might have overstepped bounds made me smile. No doubt they already chose everything but wanted to give some semblance that they are answerable to authority so I bet it was staged!

All in all the kind of slow burning major plot reveal kind of episode that I want more of! Give me these kinds of tendrils please! :D

Going to try to watch another (and return to my place in the thread five pages back)!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ok just watched Deathwalker and that was pretty decent too.

I do like the ethics and morals kinds of stories but in this one it seemed very clear cut that there was no grey area on Deathwalker. What she did was awful and what they were fighting for was also awful.

It was kind of neat that the Vorlons came along and blew her ship up. I had suspected something would happen to prevent immortality being a thing and it made me laugh that we had gone a ton of episodes without seeing Kosh for him to be doing two sneaky things at once. When Garibaldi said Kosh has been a busy boy that was exactly my thoughts!

The vcr race is a super idea. The makeup was also really neat for him. the sinister reason that Kosh was negotiating was also extremely intriguing. Josh wanting leverage over Talia makes me wonder what he is up to.

I enjoy all these mysterious plot lines for each of the ambassadors and am greatly enjoying the layering upon layering of the storylines.

That final speech from the Deathwalker to Sinclair was fantastic. That she still got one last screw you to all those who hated her by requiring her immortality work at the hands of another life is harrowing. Also the fact that you know those races and the Earth alliance would not have cared and would easily have put it into play.

Solid episode! I want more but sadly it is bed time for me now. I will catch up with everyone ! :)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

VideoGames posted:

That final speech from the Deathwalker to Sinclair was fantastic. That she still got one last screw you to all those who hated her by requiring her immortality work at the hands of another life is harrowing. Also the fact that you know those races and the Earth alliance would not have cared and would easily have put it into play.

Absolutely, the most horrifying part of the episode is that you know she's 100% correct about what would have happened.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Absolutely, the most horrifying part of the episode is that you know she's 100% correct about what would have happened.

Good allegory for post-WWII Allies lusting for Fascist scientists and their research

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Sanguinia posted:

Good allegory for post-WWII Allies lusting for Fascist scientists and their research

That's a good allegory for human selfishness and it has nothing to do with any exact historical thing

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

AntherUslessPoster posted:

That's a good allegory for human selfishness and it has nothing to do with any exact historical thing

Ok? Does ignoring an obvious historic allegorical root somehow HELP that more general moral?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Awesome, free time today. Gonna do S2ep2 and S2ep3 tonight.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Awesome! Have a good time, let us know what you think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

<glides in>
warble, tweet
Yes.
<glides out again>

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I do like the ethics and morals kinds of stories but in this one it seemed very clear cut that there was no grey area on Deathwalker. What she did was awful and what they were fighting for was also awful.

It was kind of neat that the Vorlons came along and blew her ship up. I had suspected something would happen to prevent immortality being a thing and it made me laugh that we had gone a ton of episodes without seeing Kosh for him to be doing two sneaky things at once. When Garibaldi said Kosh has been a busy boy that was exactly my thoughts!

The vcr race is a super idea. The makeup was also really neat for him. the sinister reason that Kosh was negotiating was also extremely intriguing. Josh wanting leverage over Talia makes me wonder what he is up to.

This thread has now given us Josh the Zorlon and I am here for it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Narsham posted:

This thread has now given us Josh the Zorlon and I am here for it.

His carapace is adorned with tribal tattoos and his spaceship, using advanced Zorlon technology, somehow had a lift kit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

<glides in>
warble, tweet
Bruh..
<glides out again>

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

crushes empty beer can with his mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006