Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TWI Patreon Does Ryoka sleeping with Relc feel wierd to anyone else? It just never seemed like she was mentally in a place for even casual hookups.

Poor Palt, Erin is not going to be happy when she finds out the Ullsinoi ordered the hit on Relc and all the other early Triangle members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

There is far too much heat on the inn right now, this is all going to come to a head soon.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
TWI Patreon. I don't see anything about them sleeping together at the end there.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Cinara posted:

TWI Patreon. I don't see anything about them sleeping together at the end there.

Weird, Pirateaba editted it out! Previously, the scene with the two of them in Relc’s apartment ends and they walked out of his apartment together, then there was a scene skip into Relc getting levels - 36 in [Spearmaster] and 17 in [Guardsman], after which he rolled over and looked at Ryoka. Now it just ends, no levels, no implied sex. I wonder why they took that out?

Silynt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 7, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
drat can't believe praem bonked heather

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Silynt posted:

Weird, Pirateaba editted it out! Previously, the scene with the two of them in Relc’s apartment ends and they walked out of his apartment together, then there was a scene skip into Relc getting levels - 36 in [Spearmaster] and 17 in [Guardsman], after which he rolled over and looked at Ryoka. Now it just ends, no levels, no implied sex. I wonder why they took that out?

According to the comments, it looks like Pirateaba decided to move that ending to a later chapter as it interrupts the flow of the story.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
TWI nonpatreon: It would be something if volume 7 ends not with a giant battle against the Bloodfeast Raiders or whatever, but instead with one hell of a party. Like mentioned above, definitely sounds like the kind of thing that will boost Erin all the way to level 50 on the side, too.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Argue posted:

TWI nonpatreon: It would be something if volume 7 ends not with a giant battle against the Bloodfeast Raiders or whatever, but instead with one hell of a party. Like mentioned above, definitely sounds like the kind of thing that will boost Erin all the way to level 50 on the side, too.

Why not both? Bloodfeast gets attracted to party and battle ensues resulting in dinner and an even better show for the Fae.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
King of Destruction shows up for peace talks and/or footie with the Inn team.

Oh god they're the bloody Liscor Wanderers aren't they.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New chapter of prac guide is extremely cathartic.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

tithin posted:

New chapter of prac guide is extremely cathartic.

Also Hanno fucken rules

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
TWI 7.28: Gotta admit I burst out laughing when this went down "Everyone stared at Typhenous’ raised hand. Ryoka’s eyebrows raised. The old man had game."

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

shirunei posted:

TWI 7.28: Gotta admit I burst out laughing when this went down "Everyone stared at Typhenous’ raised hand. Ryoka’s eyebrows raised. The old man had game."

My personal favorite was Zevara’s ”Days Since Crazy Human Incident” counter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

madwhitesnake posted:

Personally, as an author, I’m obsessive about pacing and structure, which is why I refuse to publish more than one chapter a week. Gotta go slow to go fast. But that's just me.

Whatever you do certainly works, because Pith is about as close as you can get to perfect web serial pacing. It manages to have a page-turner aspect without the feeling of constant escalating tension and weird pointless tangents that wildbow stuff sometimes suffers from. It kinda feels like Twig arcs if Twig arcs did a better job of simultaneously progressing the main plot while still having episodic elements.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new member of their team integrates with things. One thing I found interesting is how Ana is the one sympathizing with and advocating for the Bombmaker guy joining them (while Wes seems either ambivalent or thinks they should kill/imprison him), but the situation was reversed when the topic of Hira joining came up earlier. My best understanding of it is that Wes might have empathized with Hira's family-based issues (and apparently thinks right-Hira is hot, lol), while Ana empathized with the sort of benevolent/good-intentioned nature of Bombmaker guy (and might also see his previous situation as a vague parallel to her having to do these black ops things for self-preservation, though I'm more iffy on that)

The setting also leaves me wanting to know more about these "domains." Is this world roughly the size of Earth, and is it entirely split up among these domains?

madwhitesnake
Jan 8, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

Whatever you do certainly works

Thank you! After all the hours of outlining, that means a lot.

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I found interesting is how Ana is the one sympathizing with and advocating for the Bombmaker guy joining them (while Wes seems either ambivalent or thinks they should kill/imprison him)

Wes’ friends, Samuel and Eliya, got blown up by Jun’s bomb, and Eliya lost her eye for good. And Wes has grown up with a lot more war stories/hostility to the Shenti from his mother. And yup, re: Wes empathizing with Hira’s family stuff! Ana also sympathizes with the abuse that Jun suffered, and connects with his personality better.

Ytlaya posted:

The setting also leaves me wanting to know more about these "domains." Is this world roughly the size of Earth, and is it entirely split up among these domains?

It’s about the same size as Earth, though with much more underwater. The vast majority of the world is split among the four domains, with a few exceptions we haven’t seen yet, including an Australia-sized island nation that’s been taken over by the Droll Corsairs.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I re-read the first arc of Katalepsis because I wanted to check on a few things, and holy cow. When I first read it I thought that Raine came off as too perfect in that wish-fulfillment, dream girlfriend kind of way. Now that I know what her actual deal is, her early behavior is frigging nefarious, holy freaking poo poo.

(TL;DR: read Katalepsis.)

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

madwhitesnake posted:

Thank you! After all the hours of outlining, that means a lot.

Pith is the only web serial I've read that feels like it's been constructed from the ground-up for the format and the audience (with the exception of going for low-hanging fruit like LitRPG stuff) that's also executed genuinely well. A lot of stuff that's otherwise good feels like the author would rather have been writing a novel or visual novel, or a comic, or making a video game, or just somehow telling the story in their head in a different format. You see lots of instances where a web serial has a specific kind of denser worldbuilding that is still compelling, but doesn't marry with the format well because web fiction lives and dies on being fast paced and being something that won't fall out of your head if you go a couple week between reading. Pith has a setting that's very unique, but also lean enough that it can be hammered in quickly and cohesively, which makes it easier to become invested and develop curiosity versus something that overreaches.

The setup and the characters also feel very optimal for the format. Ana and Wes have situations that leave you mad in the exact way that makes it hard to disengage (where you end up constantly going "OH GOD, PLEASE LET SOMETHING GOOD HAPPEN TO THEM THIS WEEK") and the very quick little arcs within the greater plot, with the constant flow of setup chapter>tension building chapter>action chapter>relief chapter, is almost ideal for a serial in terms of pacing because it minimizes the points in which the reader can disengage and potentially stop reading, like a too-lengthy action scene or a multiple chapter exposition sequence, which you see a lot.

This is kinda a goofy question, madwhitesnake, but can I ask you if this is the kind of story you wanted to write to begin with? Or did you tailor it a lot to the market and compromise a lot on your ideas when you were planning it out?

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 13, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Last Angel, into the mire and Pith are my three best serials.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I re-read the first arc of Katalepsis because I wanted to check on a few things, and holy cow. When I first read it I thought that Raine came off as too perfect in that wish-fulfillment, dream girlfriend kind of way. Now that I know what her actual deal is, her early behavior is frigging nefarious, holy freaking poo poo.

(TL;DR: read Katalepsis.)

I am endlessly fascinated by all the different takes on Raine.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Yeah, as a reader I'm fairly sure that I still have a completely wrong concept of her, which is funny- first time through I initially thought it was just a lazily-written perfect girlfriend trope, then shortly after she and Heather started dating I just ran with "Good-natured sociopath with a white knight fetish," more because that felt like Heather's take on it than because it fit. I like that recently she's acting like a human being and being worried or upset by Heather doing stupid crap, but that just makes me thing I was even wronger-er than before. ^^

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Omi no Kami posted:

her early behavior is frigging nefarious, holy freaking poo poo.

What? I feel like Raine has been consistently friendly and helpful. To her in-group.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos
Pale 2.2 I wasn't expecting this story to go to "Verona becomes an Other" this early, even if it's temporary, and I definitely wasn't expecting to get such strong Taylor vibes.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Hungry posted:

Raine is a young adult masc person who has seen some poo poo.

e:hands directly connected to the brain, physical confidence, inclined to see things in terms of solving problems.

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 13, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
raine is secretly a wizard with the magic power of "a gun"

that is, whatever the situation is, there's a good chance she can immediately escalate it into causing more problems

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

LLSix posted:

What? I feel like Raine has been consistently friendly and helpful. To her in-group.

Oh yeah for sure, the main thing I found nefarious was Raine putting up a front of 'awesome friendly person who'd love to get to know you' before Heather was in her in-group, and when her main feature was 'cute girl who Raine wants to take on a road trip through the bone-zone'.

Of course, honestly at this point I'm half-expecting that the big nth-act reveal will be that she was a nice, sensitive person all along, and the sociopath/violence monster thing is the front she puts up because it's what Evelyn needed when she was younger, and what Raine feels like everyone else expects of her now that she's committed, but that feels like a pretty simple and obvious twist so I'm prolly off-base.

But yeah, wizard with the power of gun all the way- gun wizards get a 2x multiplier in the UK, since the class is rare on that plane.

madwhitesnake
Jan 8, 2020

PoorWeather posted:

This is kinda a goofy question, madwhitesnake, but can I ask you if this is the kind of story you wanted to write to begin with?

Short answer, yes. (And thank you!)

Long answer: Pith is a passion project. I got into web novels so I could go wild and not make lots of compromises, and because I thought the medium would be a good fit for the story. The community is pretty small right now, so I don’t think a marketing-first approach makes a lot of sense, personally.

I structure it like a longform TV series with seasons and episodes and act breaks, which is nice for a week-to-week format, imo. I also have a short attention span, and I try to write stuff I wouldn’t tab away from. I think that mirrors the taste of a lot of serial readers.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

madwhitesnake posted:

Long answer: Pith is a passion project. I got into web novels so I could go wild and not make lots of compromises, and because I thought the medium would be a good fit for the story. The community is pretty small right now, so I don’t think a marketing-first approach makes a lot of sense, personally.

I structure it like a longform TV series with seasons and episodes and act breaks, which is nice for a week-to-week format, imo. I also have a short attention span, and I try to write stuff I wouldn’t tab away from. I think that mirrors the taste of a lot of serial readers.

I'd agree with you that marketing for a web novel isn't really important beyond just posting it in just a few key spaces, yeah.

And that's really lucky, then! I got into web novels for the same reason - because I like writing stuff that's indulgent and didn't want to compromise - but I enjoy reading and writing stuff that is very dense and borderline-grognardy, which doesn't jive with the format or the audience particularly well at all. So what I wanna write is constantly at odds with what I ought to write, and it leads to really peculiar results. But Pith really does feel like an almost perfect fit, even if it's a happy coincidence rather than deliberate. (Though that's not to say it's not a high quality work in its own right. It absolutely is.)

Talking to a lot of people with successful projects, I increasingly feel like something just as important - maybe even more important - than technical skill in web serial writing is having tastes that line up with mass appeal, and what works in the format. There's lots of talk of people making works specifically to "cash in" on trends like LitRPGs and general proglit, but I think if it's done inauthentically, the demand for consistency in the medium will ultimately cripple the work. To reliably write 5-10k words a week, every week, and maintain a standard of quality, it needs to be something you're genuinely excited about, and even if it's awkwardly written, that passion will shine through. A lot of RR success stories are along those lines.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 19, 2020

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

PoorWeather posted:

Pith is the only web serial I've read that feels like it's been constructed from the ground-up for the format and the audience (with the exception of going for low-hanging fruit like LitRPG stuff) that's also executed genuinely well. A lot of stuff that's otherwise good feels like the author would rather have been writing a novel or visual novel, or a comic, or making a video game, or just somehow telling the story in their head in a different format. You see lots of instances where a web serial has a specific kind of denser worldbuilding that is still compelling, but doesn't marry with the format well because web fiction lives and dies on being fast paced and being something that won't fall out of your head if you go a couple week between reading. Pith has a setting that's very unique, but also lean enough that it can be hammered in quickly and cohesively, which makes it easier to become invested and develop curiosity versus something that overreaches.

The setup and the characters also feel very optimal for the format. Ana and Wes have situations that leave you mad in the exact way that makes it hard to disengage (where you end up constantly going "OH GOD, PLEASE LET SOMETHING GOOD HAPPEN TO THEM THIS WEEK") and the very quick little arcs within the greater plot, with the constant flow of setup chapter>tension building chapter>action chapter>relief chapter, is almost ideal for a serial in terms of pacing because it minimizes the points in which the reader can disengage and potentially stop reading, like a too-lengthy action scene or a multiple chapter exposition sequence, which you see a lot.

This is kinda a goofy question, madwhitesnake, but can I ask you if this is the kind of story you wanted to write to begin with? Or did you tailor it a lot to the market and compromise a lot on your ideas when you were planning it out?

Ana's constant moralizing feels a little weird considering one of the first chapters she nearly kills those two Guardians just to get away with the theft. That plus her agreeing to Brin's proposal baffles me. It's still one of my favorites but that inconsistency nags.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Oi! Person who writes Katalepsis. I demand more Twil.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lot 49 posted:

Oi! Person who writes Katalepsis. I demand more Twil.

As have several people. Twil is core cast! She'll be around more.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

For some reason I imagine that's how Evelyn asks her out on dates- like, Twil checks her voicemail and it's just Eevie going "It's Saturday, I demand more Twil."

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
That'd require her to admit that she needs more Twil, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
She should call Twil to say "no more Twil, you need to study" which would probably still result in additional Twil and give her something to grumble about, which she'd like.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I hope we get to hang out with this new band in Prac Guide

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are some good LitRpgs? I'm looking for the ones with stat boxes, character sheets and explicit skill levels. I am not looking for cultivation stories. I've read a lot of them and am looking for something a little bit different.

The best I've ever read is probably Threadbare.

The Gamer is a classic example.

Homicidal aliens... is a fun, fast paced read. Not great, but enjoyable for what it is.

The Wandering Inn exists. Some people like it, it was not for me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
For some insane reason I'm still reading carl@fire, despite thinking I should stop. So maybe that. It's got blue boxes in the latest few chapters. Numbers go up, sometimes.

It's more of an extended shitpost litrpg parody though so probably not.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

For some insane reason I'm still reading carl@fire, despite thinking I should stop. So maybe that. It's got blue boxes in the latest few chapters. Numbers go up, sometimes.

It's more of an extended shitpost litrpg parody though so probably not.

That story got pretty gross. Felt like its criticism of gross poo poo in litrpgs was actually just revelling in it.

He Who Fights With Monsters started off strong.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Wittgen posted:

That story got pretty gross. Felt like its criticism of gross poo poo in litrpgs was actually just revelling in it.
It stayed like that for a while and I just kept being too lazy to unsub since it was short and quickly skimmable/skippable. It hasn't improved overall, but there's... well there's no actual rape going on right now but there's a sex doll robot they're trying to persuade to wear clothes and help them work on the car, or something. It looks like Carl's wife.

It's an ongoing trainwreck that occasionally makes me laugh at some non-creepy bits. Not actually recommended.

I feel like the author does actually hate that poo poo in litrpg though, and was trying to ironically drive readers away or something, but it's loving ironic sexism, isn't it, so fyad rules apply and the author probably was writing one-handed.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 19, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The webnovel thread mentioned Delve which feels a bit like a more serious take on Jason's Wacky Adventures In Fighting With Monsters, but that may be because I read them at about the same time. Both are decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LLSix posted:

What are some good LitRpgs? I'm looking for the ones with stat boxes, character sheets and explicit skill levels.
Well, that rules out The Wandering Inn and The Daily Grinds; they're LitRPG's but they don't really have much in the ways of stats.

Worth the Candle still fits, though it's tonally very different from other LitRPG's. Wraith's Haunt isn't a web serial, but it's a LitRPG on KU that starts out decent and steadily gets better imo. I've read a handful of KU LitRPG series and it's easily the least stupid.