Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Their website shows the y-axis right side up now.

https://www.pikecountyhealth.com/v4i/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Enigma posted:

Their website shows the y-axis right side up now.

https://www.pikecountyhealth.com/v4i/index.html

Yeah people noticed and gave the county's health department some 'polite feedback' on their mathematical skills :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

drat, the real graph has a steeper rise in cases than the fall in the hosed up graph

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Now we can solve the real mystery of how recovered crests confirmed.

I guess it has to do with the probably cases getting better at which point if you want to count them are they probable anymore?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
https://twitter.com/futuredude/status/1271257697032249349?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's weird but to be fair it's not all that unusual for graphs about US stuff to have a stars & stripes motif

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Brb designing a line graph that doubles as arabic calligraphy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

those are some sick bars

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The advantage of building your bar graph out of swords is if anyone questions your methodology you can just take down one of your bars and have at them

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Angepain posted:

The advantage of building your bar graph out of swords is if anyone questions your methodology you can just take down one of your bars and have at them

Fun fact: This is how most stats students passed their thesis review!

Academia is a ruthless, bloody game. :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In Finnish promotion ceremony the doctors have a funny hat and a sword. The hat's purpose is unclear but you can't mistake on the sword. "Come on, challenge my results. Make my day, punk."

More relevant for the thread:
"I am drafting a new biology textbook."
https://twitter.com/PerttiJarla/status/1263730196911357953
cat - dog - cow
https://twitter.com/PerttiJarla/status/1263733906035150851
dog - cat - viper

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Makes sense. Once you master the dissertation defense, you are allowed to begin the dissertation offense.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Nenonen posted:

In Finnish promotion ceremony the doctors have a funny hat and a sword. The hat's purpose is unclear but you can't mistake on the sword. "Come on, challenge my results. Make my day, punk."

The hat is to make them look bigger.

Like Pufferfish.

Pufferfish with swords.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dr Sun Try posted:

The hat is to make them look bigger.

Like Pufferfish.

Pufferfish with swords.

Puffinns?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I finally understand why Finns are so obsessed with viperless milk, thank you.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://mobile.twitter.com/impactology/status/1272762335283736577

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What the gently caress is monarcho-communism? How is that even pretending to be internally consistent?

Also post the full thing, it looks fun.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
It deserves a failing grade just for the text that is different sizes depending on how many characters are on the line

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

It deserves a failing grade just for the text that is different sizes depending on how many characters are on the line

It's graded on a curve. Incidentally, that curve would belong in this thread.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tbh., the inconsistent hyphenation alone should be enough to exmatriculate that person.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress is monarcho-communism? How is that even pretending to be internally consistent?

Also post the full thing, it looks fun.

Haven’t found it yet but I’ll post it if I do.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

it very bothers me how "space" and "gay" are swapped around here

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

redleader posted:

Splitters.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

redleader posted:

yeah I couldn't tell you exactly what adjective order rule it's breaking, but it's breaking one

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah I couldn't tell you exactly what adjective order rule it's breaking, but it's breaking one

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Oh god... The fact that it isn't really a web is pretty immediately obvious, but it took me a good minute of being annoyed that their order didn't make sense before I saw that it goes along the top row then the bottom row from left to right and doesn't just keep going clockwise.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Peanut Butler posted:

Adjective order. It's a weird English language thing that most people can't quantify but know it when they read it.

https://twitter.com/MattAndersonNYT/status/772002757222002688

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Memento posted:

Adjective order. It's a weird English language thing that most people can't quantify but know it when they read it.

https://twitter.com/MattAndersonNYT/status/772002757222002688

Fuuuck. I'm not a native speaker and now I'm concerned about how often I mess the adjective order up. I never knew about this and it seems like a nightmare to learn if it doesn't come naturally.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Adjective order is one of the worst things, speaking as a non-native English speaker.

The next worst spot is shared by all the weird idioms, idiotic pronunciation, and the fact that on the Internet UK and US English are mixed so much it's practically impossible to not learn a wild mish-mash of vocabulary and spelling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Green great dragons can exist because compound words do. We’re not listing attributes of generic dragons, but specifying a colour of a great dragon, which any schoolboy knows is the largest species of dovahkiin.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's a green great-dragon, which is perfectly fine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

T.C. posted:

Oh god... The fact that it isn't really a web is pretty immediately obvious, but it took me a good minute of being annoyed that their order didn't make sense before I saw that it goes along the top row then the bottom row from left to right and doesn't just keep going clockwise.

I saw the question and figured it wouldn't be too hard to answer it while providing thread-relevant material :)

Platystemon posted:

Green great dragons can exist because compound words do. We’re not listing attributes of generic dragons, but specifying a colour of a great dragon, which any schoolboy knows is the largest species of dovahkiin.

This person knows what's up.

I usually teach my ESL students that they don't need to actually remember ODASCOM or whatever, the order basically goes from subjective to objective descriptors or from "decorative" to "essential" descriptors. We all know it's not gay communism, it's space communism at it's core and we've just been describing the best implementation of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah the adjective order thing is weird but it's something you can pick up from just reading stuff. Messing up the order then immediately feels wrong even if you can't quote the rule.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Memento posted:

That's a green great-dragon, which is perfectly fine.

Hyphen use or nonuse (or non‐use) is largely arbitrary.

It used to be common for compound words to evolve from having a space to having a hyphen to having neither, but anecdotally, I believe the hyphen has fallen from favour in recent decades.

“Video game” is clearly a compound word that means something other than the sum of its parts. “Videogame” is another form sometimes seen, but I cannot recall ever seeing “video‐game” in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Jolly Green Giant - OK
Green Jolly Giant...