Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you all.

One thing that's stopped them from this in the past was the need for a USB license fob in the server.

Is this possible without bringing in our hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'd say that depends on the provider and whether they're willing to plug your dongle into their hardware. Just ask, I guess?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback so far. I had no frame of reference before but now I at least have some numbers to throw my bosses (and another tack to look into).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Looks like level3 (centurylink now? whatever?) has data centers in portland, call them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tapedump posted:

Thank you all.

One thing that's stopped them from this in the past was the need for a USB license fob in the server.

Is this possible without bringing in our hardware.
If this is the issue you might want to look in to USB-over-LAN. Those kinds of solutions are commonly used when virtualizing systems needing dongles. Depending on how the software actually uses the dongle it's legitimately possible that it works even over the internet, so you may or may not even need to worry about this problem.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

If this is the issue you might want to look in to USB-over-LAN. Those kinds of solutions are commonly used when virtualizing systems needing dongles. Depending on how the software actually uses the dongle it's legitimately possible that it works even over the internet, so you may or may not even need to worry about this problem.

Yeah, we use digi USB devices at a few manufacturers I have for clients and they work great, I'd recommend them versus plugging directly into systems.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Who's got a good resource for purchasing policies? The kind where you just put in the company name and then you have all the PCI (or HIPAA or GDPR or whateveR) -compliant policies you need? Forget about having to enforce them - just want the policies. I found one source, we paid $400, and they're kinda trash (typos, poor grammar). Is that what to expect?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So this coming week, I have to deploy several dozen new VMs in a VMware environment, so I figure now is a great time to learn how to automate that!
I'll be working in vSphere 6.7. I've deployed plenty of individual VMs from scratch but I really don't know how I'd go about automating the deployment of multiple VM's.

The main unique variables per VM:
-Computer name
-Static IP

A few VM's will need:
-a larger C drive than most of the other VM's
-an additional data drive.

Additional info:
-all VM's are connecting to the same domain
-all of them will need our antivirus installed, which creates a unique PC record in its database and screws up if you rename a PC it's on, so it needs to be automatically installed after the PC has been named and added to the domain.

There are probably a few ways to do this but I don't know about them. Are there any straightforward guides anywhere that detail how to do this? Has anybody recently done something like this themselves?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 14, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreatGreen posted:

So this coming week, I have to deploy several dozen new VMs in a VMware environment, so I figure now is a great time to learn how to automate that!
I'll be working in vSphere 6.7. I've deployed plenty of individual VMs from scratch but I really don't know how I'd go about automating the deployment of multiple VM's.

-Computer name
-Static IP

A few VM's will need:

Additional info:
-all of them will need our antivirus installed, which creates a unique PC record in its database and screws up if you rename a PC it's on, so it needs to be automatically installed after the PC has been named and added to the domain.

There are probably a few ways to do this but I don't know about them. Are there any straightforward guides anywhere that detail how to do this? Has anybody recently done something like this themselves?

You can use templates for some of this, not sure how/if that will handle your AV install properly, but you can get unique machines up and running easily with them.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

MF_James posted:

You can use templates for some of this, not sure how/if that will handle your AV install properly, but you can get unique machines up and running easily with them.

Will templates let you to specify a computer name and static IP address directly within the vSphere environment?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 14, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Collateral Damage posted:

Getting rid of desk phones should be on top of the wish list for anyone working in a system/network admin role.

One of my favorite changes I implemented at the design studio was when I started asking new hires if they wanted a desk phone or their company extension forwarded to their cell. Then older employees started wanting the same thing.

I still think they should have let me replace the old PBX. It was some ugly custom system running Win2K. And this was in 2010 or so. At least it was built by a competent VAR, I never had any trouble with the thing, and cutting down on desk phones kept us from hitting the limits on physical lines.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreatGreen posted:

-Computer name
-Static IP

A few VM's will need:

Additional info:

Use the console provided by your AV vendor to handle deploying the agent onto client PCs, usually they hook into Active Directory and you can deploy a basic agent through Group Policy and then it will hand off to the AV console for all future updates.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Will templates let you to specify a computer name and static IP address directly within the vSphere environment?

Just did a quick google for the docs, these are for 5.1 but you can find the updated stuff somewhere https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc%2FGUID-40BC4243-E4FA-4A46-8C8B-F50D92C186ED.html here's the 6.7 info https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-FE6DE4DF-FAD0-4BB0-A1FD-AFE9A40F4BFE.html

and yeah what Thants said above, just use the console to deploy you can't effectively clone things that need unique GUIDs and windows doesn't have a package manager (except it kind of does but is in preview) https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-package-manager-preview/

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 15, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I've been remoting in and messing around with the vsphere environment I'll be working in and I figured out how to deploy servers with basically one touch, even including the antivirus installation. Turns out VMWare Customization Specifications does just about everything.

1. Build master image: setup windows, update it, etc.
2. Create a new folder somwhere easy to access like "C:\antivirus" and upload the antivirus installer/downloader there.
2. Build a VMWare Customization Specification package that automatically:
-sets a static IP address and prompts you for it at time of new server deployment
-joins the server to the domain using VM name
-automatically logs in as the local admin after joining the domain
-applies Windows activation key
-executes a one-time command to run the antivirus installer at 1st login

I still have to individually create each VM, but that entire process now take about 45 seconds total. I don't have to touch anything in any of the deployed servers' Windows environments at all this way. That's a lot better than having to configure a bunch of Windows parameters manually in each VM.

If I really wanted to go nuts I'd look for a good PowerCLI script that would do everything including adding host names to DNS, and that could import a CSV file of server names and corresponding IP's... but that's more than I think is necessary just yet. It could be really cool to learn that for the future though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 15, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hostnames should already be in DNS if you're using AD

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Hostnames should already be in DNS if you're using AD

Cool thanks.

They won't be static though, right?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 15, 2020

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Has anyone here done a Slack to Teams migration before including channel history? I understand you can export Slack channel history, convert it to HTML, then upload that file to a doc library. I would prefer import it into "native" history. MS makes mention of "partner options" but doesn't link to them :'(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This thinks it can do it, but I would personally never bother trying to migrate chat messages, I can imagine it being like email migration but a million times worse.

https://cloudiway.com/solutions/slack-to-teams-migration/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I saw a screenshot of how cloudiway does it and it makes all the history show up as posted by "migration service" or whatever

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Having some trouble enrolling devices in Intune via GPO, following the steps outlined here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/enroll-a-windows-10-device-automatically-using-group-policy
I've got the GPO setup, AzureAD is all set up, device is hybrid joined, licenses etc. are all good.
On my test device, when I check event viewer, I see event 75, meaning that the device successfully registered. However, when I check Intune, the device shows as being 'co-managed' in the Managed by column (should say Intune), and the Compliance column shows 'See ConfigMgr'. Well, we dont use Config manager, and we never have so I don't know where that is coming from. Any thoughts or suggestions on where I goofed?

*edit*
Figured it out. AV software (Kaspersky endpoint v. 11.3) was blocking the sync between the PC and Intune. Once I disabled KES, everything began to work properly. Now to open a ticket with Kaspersky.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 29, 2020

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
WTF is going on with Outlook clients nows? My own, two of my clients (at least) and other reports are coming in that after yesterday's update (I assume), Outlook crashes one second after displaying message list.

Brand new profile also crashes. Outlook 2019 with O365/Exchange and at least on on plain old POP (and one with the G Suite sync thing).

I can't be the only one seeing this, right?

Event viewer shows:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13001.20266, time stamp: 0x5ef262ee
Faulting module name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13001.20266, time stamp: 0x5ef262ee
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0009db1c
Faulting process id: 0x4054
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65ac9069b9553
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Report Id: ed92e3db-6991-4220-b6d5-a075e93a26b6

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1283438379875459074

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I just spent way too longer faffing about with safe mode, repairing and then re-installing office to no avail.

Is there a Microsoft equivalent to :dice:?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Outlook is hosed right now. Stop all updates.

I reverted a couple system via System Restore and that worked.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This will fix it.

cd “\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun”

then:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20470

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Will try, thank you man!

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

This will fix it.

then:

Thanks, that did the trick!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

This will fix it.

then:

Does this require uac elevation?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It should. You can also throw it in a Powershell script.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah. I'm putting together a pdq task for this and just wanted to know what context to run it in without having to do my own due diligence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

20470 doesn't seem to work for everyone, you may get an error. If you do try 16.0.6366.2062, that's the backup one people have been suggesting.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

GreenNight posted:

This will fix it.

then:

Oh, lord, thank you so much! I had so much else on my plate today that I'd no idea how to proceed.

Thank you once more!! Same for all who replied

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MS is pushing a fix out now too

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
What tripped me out was the presence of the bug even with no Exchange connection.

One site who uses only G Suite and its sync tool had the bug on three out of three machines. Another site that's POP only (I know, I know...) had it on two machines, too.

Thank god for the replies in this thread or yesterday would have been a poo poo show.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't envy anybody who has to support the combination of the Outlook client with Gmail.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't envy anybody who has to support the combination of the Outlook client with Gmail.

That's me!

But we didn't have any issues thankfully. I think we have 3 people that choose to use Outlook. The rest, somehow, choose to use the godawful GMail interface.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Thankfully we only have 2.. The CEO and the CFO.

Everyone else uses Gmail.

The CFO is starting to hate Outlook more and more so I suspect she will be the next to finally abandon it. The CEO is not likely to anytime soon. He doesn't like change.

And speaking of polished turds.. The CEO recently had me upgrade him to Outlook 2019. Its.... even more terrible..

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Outlook is an Exchange client, you won't convince me otherwise.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Outlook is an Exchange client, you won't convince me otherwise.

Agreed.

But I also much prefer the Gmail interface. I am a bit biased though. We have been using Gsuite since it was invite only and called "Gmail for Work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreatGreen posted:

Cool thanks.

They won't be static though, right?

Hostnames are (should be) static for practical purposes. It's not a true 'primary key', anyone with local admin can change it. Even the SID can change over a reimage. I'd say treat serial number as your unique immutable identifier for a PC, but I have 30 in the labs with a serial number set to "Serial number will be set by OEM" and another dozen machines with a serial number of "123456789"

There are hosed up solutions sold in every vertical market,