Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
How'd you get that weird distortion effect on the fishbowl?
Edit: yeah, great new page opener there Tombot, good job pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

Ocean biome beach house:

Graveyard biome church, plus some of the catacombs featuring all of our many gravestones over this playthrough:

Forest fishbowl castle:

OH my god, so many things I want to comment on they're so loving dope. That train!! That fishbowl!! Oh my cloud kingdom looks like dog poo poo now and I think I can only save it with some sort of cloud train and fishbowl setup

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tombot posted:

What disortion effect? I'm not really seeing what you mean.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a warping effect between the golfer and zoologist. I'm not sure what that is either.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Look at the room on the right side compared to the similar one on the left.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tenebrais posted:

There's a warping effect between the golfer and zoologist. I'm not sure what that is either.
Ah, I see what you mean. I think that might actually be from the water. It does distortion effects like that at times, it's just hard to notice them in most environments.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Tombot posted:

I think it's a bug with the screenshot tool. I've seen it a few times and there's no logical reason for it to occur.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tombot posted:

I took a few shots of that village and every one had distortion for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with the snapshot tool thinking I'm underwater? Didn't happen for any other areas. Doesn't look like that in-game either.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Psychedelicatessen posted:

What about spooky wood from the pumpkin moon event?

I'm sharing the world in question with my friend, who just went on vacation with his aunt for two weeks. We'd made the concisious decision not to push our world to hardmode (not that it'd have mattered, I guess, since I've been turning off spawns whenever I've been playing by myself to do landscaping/remodeling), so I don't have access to the events until after he comes back, and the graveyard is one of the things I intend to build up while he's gone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Time to dump my villages. Most of these were taken as soon as they were finished, later decorations and inhabitants will be listed.

Jungle terrarium. Not great, but I don't have a better idea yet. The mixed pink team and glass floor has been replaced completely with white team, current inhabitants are the Dryad, Witch Doctor, and Painter.

Snow ski chalet. The snow brick section on the left leads to a little ski jump. Offscreen to the right is my only Snow fishing spot and a hugeass stretch of Corrupted Snow. Added a music box playing the Frost Moon theme, current inhabitants are the Bartender, Mechanic, and Tax Collector. No one's very happy, but that doesn't matter much.

Ocean beach hut and aquadome. Had a hard time finding blocks that blended with sand, copper plate, and copper brick, wound up using painted dirt. Added an Otherworld Ocean music box, current inhabitants are Angler, Pirate, and Stylist. The Stylist is in the aquadome, which I have to assume absolutely ruins any hairstyles going in and out. :haw:

Surface Mushroom biome. Much easier to make out of existing terrain with block swap. I used to build mine in the sky just because it was easier. The torii gate is done with actuated blocks. Current inhabitants are Demolitionist, Zoologist, and Truffle.

Basic Oasis tower. Nothing special because I didn't want to impact the environment much. Current inhabitants are Dye Trader, Arms Dealer, and Steampunker. Dangling in the middle of the lake is a chain that leads up to...

The Hallowed UFO. I had to expand the dirt region to actually get the necessary hallowed blocks for a biome change. I originally built the UFO before entering hardmode, mistakenly believing a Space pylon existed. The Party Girl and the Wizard live here, and a music box is playing Otherworld Hallow.

My main Forest house has just gotten an upgrade. Here is the original, built within the first couple days and mostly unchanged until just last night.

The new upgrade provides much more space. The Guide's outhouse has been made narrower and deeper, the Merchant's shop has been gold-plated (He spends his nights alternating between looking at his piles of gold and staring into the void), and the Nurse actually has a medical bay instead of living in my bedroom (It is still my bedroom, however). A nearly full crafting workshop in the basement rounds it out. The big fluid tanks and pipes are just decorative, I can't make honey blocks or obsidian with it. Which is fine, since I'm in Journey mode. Otherworld Forest is playing from the music box on the stairs.

Heading into the cave to the right of my main base will lead to the hellevator, and following some golf arrow signs down it and through the caves will lead to the Undercrown. Current inhabitants are the Goblin Tinkerer, Cyborg, and Clothier.

Just to the left of my main base is my arena, close enough that the town theme starts playing on the right side of the arena.

Over the hill past the arena is the graveyard. The Golfer lives here right now, he tends to move around a lot because he keeps moving into houses where I want to move a vendor with a biome-specific item. I did a little experimentation with buried blocks for coffins (Wood, White Stucco, and Accent Stone Slab), didn't think to do the brown-clay-as-fresh-grave thing. Gravestones have a few funny things like "Here Lies Reaver Shark. May Flights of Angelfish Sing Thee To Rest" and "RIP Bad Torch Luck. You Will Not Be Missed."

This was in a Crimson world I made for duping, then rushed to Hardmode for the Steampunker and Flesh Cloning Chamber for my main base. I was just frantically building house after house and swearing as the Clothier, Nurse, Bartender, Goblin Tinkerer, and Angler moved into them before my living wood bathroom finally attracted the Steampunker.

At one point my Shadow Orb coincidentally gave the Travelling Merchant a rainbow afro.

Also visible in these screenshots is the sheer number of costume changes I've undergone. At one point I was kinda ranger-ish with the cloak and green clothes, now I'm Hackerman with Martian-dyed (Or just plain cyan) Hi Tek Sunglasses, Cyborg Costume top, and Treasure Hunter pants. A cyan Hoverboard and Black-and-green Critter Shampoo (For the wireframe digital look) rounds out the ensemble. Fogbound dye is also really good on the pet slot of a Stardust set, mutes the colors of your Stand nicely.

Honestly, the vanity system feels like there's too many options and very few of them are good. Has anyone ever found a good use for Midnight Rainbow dye? There are so many pants, and most of them are virtually indistinguishable. I managed a decent space helmet with the King Slime mask (Sitting atop the desert tower in my dump above), but none of the other boss masks are good for anything except RNG bragging rights...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love that biome UFO! You put a lot of care into making those structures seem solid and useable. Even the chains on that underground triple peak temple thing go a long way. Next time I play I'm going to try and get my NPCs all living in diff biomes and set up a pylon network. Lots of great ways to go about it, can't wait to have something worth sharing

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The rule I use for duping materials in Journey mode, and it hasn't failed me yet, is:

If it's fun to acquire it, don't dupe it.

Is money fun to acquire? Hell yeah! Love picking up money. Therefore, don't dupe it.

Is clay fun to acquire? Maybe the first time (oooo I just dug into clay!), but searching for your 20th clay node if you need a ton of it is not fun. Dupe it.

I love fishing, but mostly for the random loot, so I do dupe the quest fish.

Are potions fun to acquire? Nah, because I never drink them right away, and then I forget to drink saved up ones. It's more fun to dupe them, then continuously use them so you don't forget.

edit:
Rather than thinking of it as cheating, I think of it as: Large numbers just don't exist in-universe within Journey mode. "A bunch of stuff" in Journey Mode is synonymous with "Infinity". You can count up to a certain number, then you max out. Saves you the trouble of managing large numbers of stuff; you just have "a bunch" of it, limitless supplies.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 14, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Pre-hardmode bases, with some remnants of my previous utilitarian/commie boxes still around.

Flying aircraft carrier

Floating upside-down evil pyramid

Jungle tree

Water temple

Hourglass on a snow cloud

An eyesore

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

I've seen real buildings that are uglier than that, they should pay you to design things

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Here I am trying and failing to try and fit 40ish modded NPCs in a main base. The base outline looks good but so many tenements are making the base floor a lil repetitive.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Y'all have been doing big bases, even individual biome ones, I'm here doing neighborhoods where everyone gets their own little shack 25ish tiles away from their nearest neighbor.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I want to a) speed up time even more than the 24x offered by journey mode, and b) make autosaving more frequent, like once a minute, what’s my best bet for making that happen? Is this plausible through something like chest engine, or should I be learning how to make a mod, if those things are even possible through a mod?

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sleeping in a bed accelerates time at 5x and if you sleep in a bed while in 24x time, it stacks and makes time go incredibly fast, about 1hr ~ 1sec. That's what I do when I want to zip through the week, no mods needed. I don't know about the autosaving.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is intended to be unattended, and needs both factors at the same time to work. :/

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

If I want to a) speed up time even more than the 24x offered by journey mode, and b) make autosaving more frequent, like once a minute, what’s my best bet for making that happen? Is this plausible through something like chest engine, or should I be learning how to make a mod, if those things are even possible through a mod?

The first is done by resting in a bed: if all players are in a bed then you get x5 time acceleration.

Someone said that, right?

Of course. The next step is taking advantage of that "all players" part. Start a multiplayer dedicated server, and limit it to just the one player, yourself. Join, rest in a bed, great! Now what? Now you need to write your own program. The particulars will depend on whatever language you're using, but you need to use one program to run and provide the console input for the Terraria dedicated server. Then you can do whatever you'd like, such as sending the "save" command every minute (or anything else you want).

If you need greater than x24 time acceleration while also doing things, then your proposed solutions of cheat engine or a mod are best. I also become incredibly curious as to what you need this for.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There doesn't seem to be any way to force the game to autosave more often and it annoys me as well. It should automatically save every time something kills you, at least.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cardiovorax posted:

There doesn't seem to be any way to force the game to autosave more often and it annoys me as well. It should automatically save every time something kills you, at least.

I can’t puzzle out for the life of me why it’s not configurable at all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Same. Does anyone know how to send customer feedback to Redigit? It just seems like such a weird oversight. Maybe someone just needs to ask.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
How much of a pain am I in for if I roll new worlds if starting few chests suck rear end? I assume time mostly. My master mode world has given me.. an enchanted boomerang and not much else. Almost max health and mana but poo poo, I’m miserable trying to deal with mobs.

I do have a Journey character but doing it “the classic way” is starting to appeal to me after laughing through the Mechanicals in Journey.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rosalie_A posted:

I also become incredibly curious as to what you need this for.

I'm doing some experimentation and closer examination of exactly how/where corruption/crimson spreads, using the same (or slightly modified) tools I put together for those multiplayer goon world time lapses I previously posted. I was seeing some very curious results from those that caught my interest, so I wanted to go further with it.

Anyhow, being able to speed time up further is very useful for simulating the world faster, but if it goes too fast, I get bigger steps between renders, and it becomes less useful for seeing what happens from moment to moment. My renderer/animator monitors the world file for updates and handles that, I just need to trigger the save more frequently. Like, if I could run the world at 100x, and have the game save every minute, I could simulate months of game time in very short order, instead of having to run it for days at a time to get the results I want.

I'll probably just see about running the dedicated server from within a separate python script that'll send the save command every whenever. Annoying, but it'll do.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh my Christ I forgot how goddamned bonkers the lunar event is compared to everything else in the game even just on Classic :stare: "Dead again, and I'm out of fancy arrows again... Right, I've hit the point I'm too ashamed to dupe more arrows or fall back on infinity quiver, melee it is!"

I'm just glad I remembered the lifeforce potion exists, considering I just barely edged out the first Moon Lord kill with something like 70 health at the end.

I wish the Daybreak wasn't stuck with "heavy thrown object" physics because I'm trash at nailing those shots with it when wildly scrambling around with wings after I fall or my railroad tracks or flying around on a Witches broom from cranking pumpkin moon up to Expert for a while. But it's so cool :allears:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Irritated Goat posted:

How much of a pain am I in for if I roll new worlds if starting few chests suck rear end? I assume time mostly. My master mode world has given me.. an enchanted boomerang and not much else. Almost max health and mana but poo poo, I’m miserable trying to deal with mobs.

I do have a Journey character but doing it “the classic way” is starting to appeal to me after laughing through the Mechanicals in Journey.

That's actually quite good. If your first few chests are bad, then the world owes you, therefore your next chest is surely good. It's kind of like if you flip 5 tails in a row, you're bound to get a heads next because of probabilities. My only concern is that Enchanted Boomerang is actually quite a step up in the beginning, and not a bad enough weapon to turn the karma gods in your favor.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's actually quite good. If your first few chests are bad, then the world owes you, therefore your next chest is surely good. It's kind of like if you flip 5 tails in a row, you're bound to get a heads next because of probabilities. My only concern is that Enchanted Boomerang is actually quite a step up in the beginning, and not a bad enough weapon to turn the karma gods in your favor.

I only got that a while in. I might stick around with this world I'm in now. I got a wand that does OK damage and my mana isn't even getting touched much. I think it's just the HP difference that might be getting me.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's kind of like if you flip 5 tails in a row, you're bound to get a heads next because of probabilities.
:thunk:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's not how probabilities work.

ed.
All of the chest rolls are decided at worldgen, so it's more like uncovering whether each coin had already been flipped heads or tails. At the point that you start generating multiple worlds looking for specific things, you may as well just get a world editor and see what chests in World X have Drop Y to save time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm hoping this post is a joke because that isn't how that works. That isn't how any of that works.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

that’s pretty obviously a joke

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

watho posted:

that’s pretty obviously a joke

The only joke here is you causality normies and your linear timelines

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

if you never open any chests they all contain the entire pool in them at once leading to unparalleled theoretical riches

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Terraria 1.4: Dead cats in boxes, we've gone quantum folks!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why do i constantly leak confetti?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You bought sex in the hallow, didn’t you?

I finally got my accelerated world going. Boy oh boy is it a cobbled together solution. Turns out the terraria server is doing something weird with its console that prevents interfacing via standard io. So my solution ends up being:

Store world on PC
Run standalone server on Mac, mounting PC over network
Run python script on PC to monitor world file and render when it changes
On mac, server is run via Automator which runs a loving AppleScript to actually fake typing the save command into the console every 30 seconds

All this nonsense gets me roughly 1 day of world time in 30 seconds of real time, and an updated save (and thus rendered frame of video) in the same time.

This would be a lot less dumb if I could just configure auto save frequency. :/

e: Augh, and then my mac went to sleep

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Khanstant posted:

why do i constantly leak confetti?

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Hair_Dyes

did you put on a party hair dye?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Having a Town in the Underground Hallow near the bottom of the world is so sick.
Find myself getting bored of the Vanilla Terraria soundtrack again. Too bad all of the Wavebanks people made for 1.3 don't work anymore and I don't have the patience to make one myself. Mining with Undertale music in the background was very relaxing.

What are some strong early hardmode weapons I could use to go against Queen Slime and the Mechanical Bosses? I tried beating Queen Slime using the Hel-Fire and the DPS was very good but I got quickly shredded by her attacks because of the limited range

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Augus posted:

Find myself getting bored of the Vanilla Terraria soundtrack again.

You can use the Party Girl to switch to the Otherworld soundtrack. That may require having visited a "drunk world" first but I suppose everyone in this thread has tried it.