Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Galewolf posted:

Bring Tuna with you, too :getin:

Though moving to London will create new and delightful Cons such as:

-The uncontrollable urge to tell everyone you meet that you live in London.
-Hiss and flinch back like a vampire if someone mentions traveling to any locating that is outside of M25 (aka, the circlejerk).
-"Where is that? In the North? Like, Camden Town? :confused:"
-This happening when you kindly say hello to random strangers in the Tube when boarding.
-"I know I'm paying 86% of my salary for a small box covered with black mold and my landlord is probably a war criminal but I can walk to the nearest tube station is 15 minutes...after taking a bus to it"
-Going all :stare: when you look at your CC statement and how much it costed you to have a round of shots.
-"Anything south of the river is not true London"
-"North of the river is full of bankers and wankers"
- "Actual" vampires!
-More 'Spoons that you'll ever need or desire.

Pros:
Good food
????

I've weathered the NYC subway, the tube is practically a beautiful dream. Sans air conditioning.
I don't know I could ever live with roommates ever again so I absolutely cannot afford London rental prices that's for sure.

Extra pros:
- A chance at a semblance of a social life if I don't accidentally hermit myself, less likely as most of my hermiting is a result of living in bumfuck nowhere but still on the cards as I'm awkward
- A chance at actually finding a thriving artist network and having actual loving art friends in the same area as me
- A chance to swipe right on someone who isn't a Polish builder or a British truck driver with zero in common with me

e: Oh. Page snipe. What a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is a legitimate work of art and I love it. I want a tiny one for my desk.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
London good, Tuna good.

Today -probably- a private agency contractor for the gubmint called in to check if our "vulnerable status" is still going and we explained that chronic asthma is pretty permanent.

Unrelated but does anyone remember Covid 19?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
london sucks move up north

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Jose posted:

For me: I'm pretty flexible in terms of work, as long as I get enough contracts so it's not entirely impossible for me to move to the North, maybe for 6 months or a year. London is pretty swell but I feel like Manchester or Liverpool might also be my kinda jam.

The thing is, my clients and my partner/employer calling me for London based clients kinda force me to stay around here. Maybe I'll take a break if things get normal and do a month-long North backpacking/caravan tour, who knows? :unsmith:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Natalie Fartman posted:

I've weathered the NYC subway, the tube is practically a beautiful dream. Sans air conditioning.
I don't know I could ever live with roommates ever again so I absolutely cannot afford London rental prices that's for sure.

Extra pros:
- A chance at a semblance of a social life if I don't accidentally hermit myself, less likely as most of my hermiting is a result of living in bumfuck nowhere but still on the cards as I'm awkward
- A chance at actually finding a thriving artist network and having actual loving art friends in the same area as me
- A chance to swipe right on someone who isn't a Polish builder or a British truck driver with zero in common with me

I'd recommend one of the big Northern cities, Manchester Leeds or Sheffield. Much Much cheaper than London, big enough to find whatever community you're interested in getting involved with, good countryside access (Sheffield and the eastern suburbs of Manchester especially)

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Really, I should learn to drive. I learned in NJ but my license didn't carry over so I have to start again and I just haven't done it yet. This year was supposed to be the year that happened. It would open up a lot more of the surrounding areas to me if I did.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im sure you mentioned this stuff before. you're in the pocket of Big Stock

hit me up for my affiliate link

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Natalie Fartman posted:

Extra pros:

honestly yeah manchester is probably better than london. to suggest taking up an Arting lifestyle in london is basically abusive

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Post an art

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Leeds leeds leeds

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

:colbert:

lol it's the exact same T-shirt template

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Post an art

I got an art thread in SA mart, but I need to replenish it as goons have bought most of my backlog so I can keep a silly cat :toot:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924278

I want to transition to more 'hey buy my art' sans cat money but I don't know if I need to start a new thread or what.

I got a bunch of canvases delivered today and I have to send them back because they're dogshit. I'm pretty mad.

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 15, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just heard the dog barking manically in the garden, and it had hold of a bloody hedgehog. The dog's face was covered in blood, but after moving the hedgehog I couldn't spot any visible wounds on it (obviously difficult because it was curled up into a tight ball) so I've put it in a box in the garage with a towel and some water. Hopefully it's just shaken up and not badly hurt :(

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 16, 2020

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Jose posted:

One of Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester needs to integrate with the Eurostar network so I can move north without it being a headache

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Just heard the dog barking manically in the garden, and it had hold of a bloody hedgehog. The dog's face was covered in blood, but after moving the hedgehog I couldn't spot any visible wounds on it (obviously difficult because it was curled up into a tight ball) so I've put it in a box in the garage with a towel and some water. Hopefully it's just shaken up and not badly hurt :(

Oh no, hope dog and pointyboi both are okay :ohdear:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bardeh posted:

If it seems ok this morning, put it back out along with a bowl of wet dog or cat food.

If it still seems miserable, put that food in the box, put some.leaves and twigs in there and Google your area for a local hedgehog sanctuary, if not then call the vet.

Also, I hope.dog is ok.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

If it seems ok this morning, put it back out along with a bowl of wet dog or cat food.

If it still seems miserable, put that food in the box, put some.leaves and twigs in there and Google your area for a local hedgehog sanctuary, if not then call the vet.

Also, I hope.dog is ok.

yo, this

Hedgehogs are great and also precious.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I had a wonderful walk by the lake in the park, had a great cooked breakfast and saw a mail from my accountant about how she finished my taxes :negative:

Can I use the "I'm a taxpayer, you can't treat me like this!" line in the movies now or it's just for Murica?

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
It really feels like lockdown is over now my local facebook buy and sell group is accepting posts again and I get to see all the stupid poo poo for sale.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Strange, our village went mad for swapping free poo poo while lockdown was in place, I got rid of loads of crap cluttering up the garage and garden that I was just going to take to the tip. It's quietened down now people are working again.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

goldenninjawarrior posted:

It really feels like lockdown is over now my local facebook buy and sell group is accepting posts again and I get to see all the stupid poo poo for sale.

Gubmint starting to do rounds and asking people if we still retain vulnerable status was a bit of an eye-opener for me about how things are going regardless of pandemic levels. Get back to work, serfs!

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I got the same call, galewolf.

The lady on the other end of the phone was horrified that I said I had to go back to work and so I have to end shielding

Oh yeah, my boss wants me back next monday

I don't have the energy to fight it and figure out what happens if I don't go back.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jose posted:

This.

I lived in London for 7 years. Not doing it again unless it's for boat money. Quite happy now in central Scotland.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Question is, where in the country am I most likely to be able to get spaghetti squash

Because its not common in the UK and It's a low carbers dream vegetable and I miss it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well if you don't live in London you can afford somewhere with a garden to grow it

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Jose posted:

Well if you don't live in London you can afford somewhere with a garden to grow it

I am death to all plants

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm moving to the forest of dean next month and I couldn't be more excited about living in the middle of nowhere tbh.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I somehow conflated those last two posts and thought someone was moving to the forest of death

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i am dean to all plants

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lemon posted:

I somehow conflated those last two posts and thought someone was moving to the forest of death

what are house prices like there?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Natalie Fartman posted:

Extra pros:

I was just starting to develop one of these when I moved here in January/February, then, suddenly COVID!

But yeah, actually being able to get to places by public transport without it being 90 minutes each way beat the heck out of living in the outskirts of Cambridge, for instance.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Aphex- posted:

I'm moving to the forest of dean next month and I couldn't be more excited about living in the middle of nowhere tbh.

I'm only maybe 4 miles from a decent sized town with all the shops, the house itself is on a small quiet little estate away up a country lane and it has been fantastic. Even though it's not quite middle of nowhere it's still really peaceful and I'd not go back to town living if I could help it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

what are house prices like there?

Killer :dadjoke:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

I'd recommend one of the big Northern cities, Manchester Leeds or Sheffield. Much Much cheaper than London, big enough to find whatever community you're interested in getting involved with, good countryside access (Sheffield and the eastern suburbs of Manchester especially)

That's less true than it used to be, having lived in both, though I did like Manchester as a place to live. Conversely though, Manchester isn't a jobs desert in my field, but there's more going on in London, inevitably given the difference in size between the two. And London's public transport points at Manchester's tram network and laughs.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

I hear the architecture is to die for!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

London might be terrible in some critical ways but by god, it's an amazing place to live if you love...everything.

The choice between commute vs. exceptionally high rent is not an easy one to make and sometimes situation forces you but when it works, it works brilliantly. If you have a broad range of interests, the city really opens up in terms of art, cuisine, entertainment, and socializing. I have never felt this alive in anywhere else, even as a tourist, so I might be a little bit biased.

My benchmark of "making it in London" is being able to do my whole grocery shopping from Borough Market because holy gently caress that place is expensive.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Galewolf posted:

The choice between commute vs. exceptionally high rent is not an easy one to make

Come live with me in zone 3 and you can choose both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Come live with me in zone 3 and you can choose both.

You can only drag my cold, lifeless body to the nightmarish hellscape that is "anywhere that isn't Zone 1 or 2". :colbert: