Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
If it's only a coded sister character as opposed to actual sister character you haven't even reached 50% anime levels .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've been thinking about how easy it would be to max each game, and I actually think P5 does something really smart. Giving you a Guts 4 lock in the very first month gives you clear motivation to not just put off raising your stats, because the other stat locks are so far down the road. Imagine getting to Haru and not having been dilligently doing stat-raising and just only doing social links. 4 had something similar with the constant Courage dialogue checks, but I can't even remember what the social link locks are for max Knowledge for example - Understanding and Kindness were the Dojimas, I know, but the rest is a blur. P3 sidesteps this problem almost entirely just by giving you so few things to do at night other than raise stats.

The Proficiency check for Haru definitely roadblocked me in the first game for a while. But in Royal you get so many nights where you're stuck in Leblanc (and aren't forced to sleep) that you might as well make tools (or clean for Kindness).

SweetBro posted:

Isn't Hermit is like one/two years younger than the protagonist?

Also Temperance is the best romance option and if you disagree you're wrong :colbert:

Like what people said, it's definitely the strong familial thing that the game projects here.

Also Becky is 'hilarious' to romance the same way Maya was in P3 but in real life it's just a really bad move and one I can't really get past personally. All the more power to people who don't mind it, but Joker dating adults feels just off and there's probably a reason it wasn't really a thing in the previous games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The whole Temperance persona is in a weird space to me because yeah on the one hand you've got Joker dating somebody who's firmly of age while he's still underage, and also is an authority figure with power over him, and also has a weird dynamic where she dresses as a sexy maid any time she visits him. On the other hand her circumstances are actually kind of nuanced, she resists their relationship becoming romantic in nature unless Joker forces the issue, and even then she moreso than any other adult romance option comes across more as "I reciprocate your feelings, but let's wait until we're in more socially acceptable positions to act on it" vs say, Devil or Death who come across like they want to jump Joker's bones ASAP.

That said I have not seen any stuff Royal adds to Temperance's romance, including White Day, so for all I know Atlus took a poo poo all over that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sydin posted:

Yeah the age difference never bothered me, it's the equivalent of an 8th grader/9th grader romance which, whatever. The reasons the Hermit romance skeeve me out are that the game codes Futaba pretty heavily as Joker's younger sister in a familial relationship between her, Joker, and Sojiro, and that Futaba's confidant/story scenes after her palace make it clear she's reliant upon Joker as an emotional crutch. Joker taking that relationship and turning it into something romantic is, personally, disgusting to me.

That said it's a loving anime game where you can date your teacher who's also your personal french maid who shows up to your house to give you massages, so hey, do whatever you want. :v:

Royal has Joker outright introducing Futaba to Iwai as “basically my sister” so Atlus was clearly doing it deliberately rather than the players projecting on her.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress OKUMURA no boss fight should have such a deep level of bullshit. Your party's DPS had better be at its loving apex in order to kill each wave of robots before the wave replaces itself, and then there's a loving time limit. Someone please tell me this lovely boss has a cheese strat, I just want to move forward with the game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

And Tyler Too! posted:

gently caress OKUMURA no boss fight should have such a deep level of bullshit. Your party's DPS had better be at its loving apex in order to kill each wave of robots before the wave replaces itself, and then there's a loving time limit. Someone please tell me this lovely boss has a cheese strat, I just want to move forward with the game.

Bump the difficulty to Merciless and hit weaknesses.

That's how most ppl in the thread got past it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you absolutely want to beat it on Hard, Psi or Eiga items or accessories. You'll want every party member to knock down one enemy, baton pass to the next, then finish with two multi-target mid-tier Psi or Eiga skills from Joker. That gives you enough damage to kill all of them, as long as you remove their defense buff one of the will inevitably get. Then you just click through all the talking as fast as possible. I had to redo only one phase and was left with two minutes on the timer.

I'm definitely cheesing Okumura with Merciless next time though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

Merciless triples weakness damage on both sides, but Okumura’s bots are all physical and require weaknesses to take down at all, so it only benefits you. Thanks to poor design choices, Merciless is by far the easiest difficulty to beat it on. The battle is deliberately made to be annoying, but the designers underestimated just how obnoxious the fake difficulty was.

Why they didn’t at least limit him to one reset per wave or at least remove self destructed bots from the field, I will never know. Clearly it was not playtested at all.

At this point, we should probably have this advice on the opening post.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 15, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm doing Okumura's Palace now so... this is good to know. :shepface:

It's funny because he was one of the easiest fights in the original game, actually fun to hit weaknesses on a boss fight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly as much as I love P5R all the boss design overhauls felt incredibly lame:
  • Kamoshida just has Mishima and Shiho running around help him, oh also Shiho is in a bunny outfit and weak to physical damage :yikes:
  • Madarame's elemental copies are fine I guess but imo are a more tedious gimmick than his original multiple phases of the painted face.
  • Kaneshiro summons two boring as poo poo mooks now for some reason.
  • Wakabe is even more of a joke than she was in vanilla so that Futaba can flex more in her intro battle.
  • Okumura... enough said.
  • I'm pretty sure Sae is bugged. Both times I fought her she spun the elemental roulette once, attacked somebody for pathetic damage, then never spun it again?
  • Shido's new Senator Armstrong fiery duel phase is rad visually and thematically but it's also a total joke that is almost impossible to lose.
  • As far as I'm aware Yaldy didn't get anything new.
At least the new semester's final boss fight is rad as hell, at least until the final phase of get punched over and over but you can't die, while you also can't do damage, until the group can charge up their cutscene power.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sorry if there's a persona 4 thread couldn't see one, quick question

Is it realistic to leave the other party members on auto and only control the main guy? Playing on normal

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You can but that is making things harder for yourself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've always played 4 with my party members on Auto, except on bosses. I can't remember though, can you give orders like in 3? Assault, knock down, support, etc?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is it realistic to leave the other party members on auto and only control the main guy? Playing on normal

That’s entirely possible, but pointlessly making the game worse for yourself. You need to manage everyone to get through tougher battles and controlling them directly prevents them from making stupid decisions or wasting SP. Besides, it helps you learn more about the battle system to use everyone. Letting the AI do everything sounds like a recipe for frustration.

Still, you can give them some general orders to stick to if you really want them to go on auto so it isn’t completely random what they’ll do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay, what the hell. Why do you get IMs telling you to take care of mementos requests that are impossible to access? Very cool to waste an evening now that I can't go out, Mishima.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Alright the Merciless trick worked wonders, thanks for the advice friends! Now to keep beefing up confidants.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JollyBoyJohn posted:

On Normal, yes. For most fights anyway. I tend to do that for basic shadows and only flip them to manual for minibosses and higher. But I also tend to grind more than I should, so grain of salt.

DrNutt posted:

Okay, what the hell. Why do you get IMs telling you to take care of mementos requests that are impossible to access? Very cool to waste an evening now that I can't go out, Mishima.

Better than the old version of beating them being required to up his confidante level.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stroth posted:

On Normal, yes. For most fights anyway. I tend to do that for basic shadows and only flip them to manual for minibosses and higher. But I also tend to grind more than I should, so grain of salt.

Better than the old version of beating them being required to up his confidante level.

Yeah that sounds worse for sure. I actually like dungeon crawling in mementos, it's basically this game's version of Tartarus and I liked that, it's just annoying that a)there's annoying time gating and b) a character will tell you to go do a thing even if it's currently impossible for you to do.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparantly Atlus Japan was heavily involved in the P4G PC port. Pretty surprising.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparantly Atlus Japan was heavily involved in the P4G PC port. Pretty surprising.

They’re probably using it to test the waters for future releases on the PC.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

cheesetriangles posted:

A lot of the big JRPG publishers have been making bank by porting old RPGs to Steam the last few years, guess the rest of the industry has decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

now that p5r came out they're gonna need something to keep the lights on while they take another 3 years finishing smtv

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

now that p5r came out they're gonna need something to keep the lights on while they take another 3 years finishing smtv

You say that as if they had any intention of not milking P5 even more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We haven't even got Persona 5 Scramble in the west yet. Or a fighting game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I loved P4 but DAN was when it hit the 'okay, stop, let it die, please' phase.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Geostomp posted:

You say that as if they had any intention of not milking P5 even more.

there's nothing announced so :shrug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ApplesandOranges posted:

I loved P4 but DAN was when it hit the 'okay, stop, let it die, please' phase.

Whose Dan?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

this is dan

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m totally in a Persona mood now. Downloaded P5R tonight and forgot how stylish and smooth this game is. Also P4G for PC is a really solid port. It seems to not be capped at 60 FPS in some sections as well. Now just being P3FES to PC/PS4 with the female protagonist and other updates from P3P, as well as an English translation of P2 Innocent Sin and I’ll be all set!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
While we're making a wishlist, I'd take P3FES, and add in the P3P female route and qol changes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

While we're making a wishlist, I'd take P3FES, and add in the P3P female route and qol changes.

Give me P3P, but with P5R style and QoL.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Give me P3P, but with P5R style and QoL.

I'd much rather they spend that remake time making P6.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Putting the female protagonist in FES is an absolute fuckload of work and not just a matter of porting it over at all.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

P3 -> FES had a shitton more content than P5 -> P5R did.

Granted I wouldn't really care much for a Female Joker on the account that all the male characters in this game range from insufferable to boring. My top 3 romances would be 1) Akechi, 2) Maruki, 3) There is no 3 because everyone else sucks so much. Maybe Iwaii, but that would make the whole thing with his son pretty weird in addition to the normal weirdness of it all.

Actually now that I think about it, Persona games for the most part have pretty lovely male casts.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 16, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would pick Yusuke just to see what that dipshit comes up with for a date.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I see P5R has a $60 dollar DLC bundle. What happens to any DLC from P5 regular? Does it carry over or need to be repurchased?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

P5R has a separate download for all base game DLC for free.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I'm finally finishing up P5R after falling off in the middle of November's palace when I got Covid. I missed the Hope Diamond treasure demon and I'm in the new semester. Is there a chance to get it still? I'm gonna be really mad if I miss 100% compendium completion because of 1 treasure demon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

So I'm finally finishing up P5R after falling off in the middle of November's palace when I got Covid. I missed the Hope Diamond treasure demon and I'm in the new semester. Is there a chance to get it still? I'm gonna be really mad if I miss 100% compendium completion because of 1 treasure demon.

They show up in Mementos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

cheesetriangles posted:

You can't get 100% on your first run anyways since you need NG+ for one fusion.