Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel there are genres where the increase in graphical fidelity is meaningful, specially for VR and games focused on immersion. Like keep releasing Subnauticas that look prettier and prettier every few years, please.

But for platformers, RPGs, fighting games, shooters, open world collect-thatons and strategy games? I wouldn't feel cheated if those never had an upgrade in graphics. Good art direction is way more important for how a game looks than the number of polygons in the models and pixels in the textures. Team Fortress 2 still looks great and that game is about 20 years old at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

baka kaba posted:

what's actually going on in here

*laser*
*explosion*
ungh!!

Shipbreaker is you tearing apart ships while in a space dock in orbit in order to fund your escape to a better life somewhere else in human space. You do this by getting into a mild amount of debt to the corp that hired you and tearing apart those ships for their valuable bits. That trailer is all the ways it can go wrong. Also you have to pay for your own cloning which puts you more in debt.

Here's a more general overview one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN82DJGmq7o

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ulio posted:

So why hasn't Titanfall 2 came to Steam yet?

Because EA is adding games in waves every Thursday. Might hit this week, maybe later.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Orv posted:

Shipbreaker is you tearing apart ships while in a space dock in orbit in order to fund your escape to a better life somewhere else in human space. You do this by getting into a mild amount of debt to the corp that hired you and tearing apart those ships for their valuable bits. That trailer is all the ways it can go wrong. Also you have to pay for your own cloning which puts you more in debt.

Don´t you basically start out with a 999,999,999 spacebucks debt in the beginning? Even with inflation I wouldn´t really call that a mild amount of debt.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

Don´t you basically start out with a 999,999,999 spacebucks debt in the beginning? Even with inflation I wouldn´t really call that a mild amount of debt.

That was the joke, yes.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oh yeah for the 4 other people that like My Summer Car style lifesim games and Skee-ball The Coin Game added it's survival mode.

The Coin Game posted:

Hows does Survivor Mode work?

TLDR: Survivor Mode Curfew Times:
- Day wake up start time = 7:00 AM
- Can check in and go to sleep time = 9:00 PM
- MUST be home or you are grounded time = 11:00 PM

You will now start the day at around 7:00 AM in the morning in your bedroom. For now the day will be a set length but in the future when the XP Points system is finished you will then be able to purchase a later curfew and other small advantages to help you around the island. Again, that will come in a later update. You will begin the initial day with about $2.50 in spending cash, some food in the fridge and some supplies around the home. You can play out the day however you wish as long as you are home by the curfew time that you can track on the onscreen hud or on your smart watch (its the blue ring on the Player hud). There are also some new jobs around the island to earn spending money. You can now babysit the Jones family baby bots, mow Barry's home lawn, deliver newspapers or even take back shopping carts at the Dollar Store.

The new Health, Energy and Curfew system in Survivor Mode adds a little more excitement to getting around the island. You must keep your energy level up by eating some junk food throughout the day (or you will move and walk slower) but also must manage your overall health to stay "alive". If you let your energy level drop too low it will start to take away health so make sure to keep them both up and maintained. In the new Survivor Mode you can get injured by vehicles, mean bots yielding bats and Rubber band guns and even falling/jumping off of points that are too high. If your health falls below 0 you will pass out and Nanny bot has to come take care of you. ie; You are Grounded and it's Game Over.
So check it out if you want to play realistic arcade games and eat junk food to live in a creepy robot world .

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 16, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Orv posted:

oh ok that looks way better!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Can someone explain to me why Persona is good? It doesn't look like my thing, but I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Would love to see Squadrons get some additional single player love as DLC if the game is fun. Might be what they’re going for at the $40 price, concentrate on multiplayer first and see what the reception is.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Can someone explain to me why Persona is good? It doesn't look like my thing, but I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something.

Its anime and you date anime high school girls. You know how goons are.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

In the PS2 era there weren't a lot of good jrpgs available outside of that entire franchise. persona 3+4 then had writing about highschoolers feeling rejected by society + some strong mystery elements to them. This was and is popular, and if it's your jam you will probably love Persona 4 on steam.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

It's demonic Pokemon and you mash demons together to summon Satan. You know how goons are.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I said it several pages ago but the game is literally “Anime as gently caress: The Game”. There are hours and hours of “Anime as gently caress” slice of life world building cutscenes to get through before the actual game kicks in. But once you get there, the RPG is amazing. But be prepared to be periodically interrupted with additional hours upon hours of “Anime as gently caress” cutscenes to go with your gameplay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also Hitler's in one of them, for some reason

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They gave him aviator sunglasses and called him "Fuhrer" for the English localization

Totally not Hitler, nosiree this is a different guy ignore the moustache, please

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

It's the closest thing to a good Scooby Doo RPG we'll ever get. The music is also pretty good.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that was Persona 2, and the gimmick there was "what if rumours became real?"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

it's a jrpg. You know how goons are.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

The bulk of the gameplay is choosing two actions per day for your protagonist for a year to optimally fill out the 240 social links in the game - it is just like those old Newgrounds dating sim games where you would have three actions per day and try to optimize them to reach your goal by a specific calendar date. In between these decisions there's 60 hours of visual novel.

There's also a lot of RPG combat every so often.

The main appeal of the game is that the characters can be fun and hundreds of progress bars go up for 80+ hours.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 15, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Griftlands is pretty drat cool, y'all

I think I might like it more than Slay the Spire

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's the closest thing to a good Scooby Doo RPG we'll ever get. The music is also pretty good.

Later Alligator

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

For a long portion of early digital distribution PC games were still $50 instead of the $60 that had become standard for console games, I forget what game it was that changed that, I think it might have even been an EA release but it pretty much got a tiny blip of response.

PC games were about $50 up until circa the Xbox 360 generation (also imo the nadir of gaming). I believe it either Oblivion or MW2 that was the first high-profile omfg $60 WOW!! and just stayed there. there was a very little bit of controversy that quickly went away as everyone grumbled and happily shelled out for the big aaa hot poo poo potato of the time.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
OK thanks, sounds like it's just totally not my thing at all.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I want Persona 5 already.

And yeah, like that other poster said, where's that Titanfall Dos.

E: (Tries not to think about the itch library)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

PC games were about $50 up until circa the Xbox 360 generation (also imo the nadir of gaming). I believe it either Oblivion or MW2 that was the first high-profile omfg $60 WOW!! and just stayed there. there was a very little bit of controversy that quickly went away as everyone grumbled and happily shelled out for the big aaa hot poo poo potato of the time.

i can almost guarantee it was some flavor of COD that broke the $50 barrier if it wasn't modern warfare 2 specifically

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Shin megami tensei 4 and its sequel, Apocalypse are worth owning a 3ds just for them. They're about 30-50 hours each and are the the best mythical-beast-training-god-killingly fun you can have on the go! I never got into Persona after 2 because of the hard swerve into dating sim stuff.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It really cannot be overstated how good the music and just... general aesthetics of Persona 4 are. The prospect of playing through dozens of hours of turn-based JRPG battles isn't so bad when this is constantly playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbjrTNSq0I

Or this, when you're just wandering around town chatting with NPCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ue1JPFXEU

As for the writing, it's no Disco Elysium, but it's a fun little mystery with interesting characters.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Orv posted:

That was the joke, yes.
Well, wooosh on me then.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Maybe games don't need to have the massive production values and associated costs in order to be fun to play. The constant ratcheting up of epic, cinematic experiences doesn't automatically make games better but it sure looks good in marketing materials!
pretty much.

One of the best ~c i n a m a t i c~ games I've played was A Plague Tale which is on xbox game pass for pc for $1 so there's no reason not to play it. just an absolutely really good looking low to mid-tier budget indie game that tells a way more interesting story than Uncharted 9 or "are we the real monsters???" tlou garbage.

highly recommended

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 15, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
^talking about this one: https://store.steampowered.com/app/752590/A_Plague_Tale_Innocence/ ?

Because if so, it has the best sling gameplay in video games. E: The sound effects when slinging stones are magnifique.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Xaris posted:

pretty much.

One of the best ~c i n a m a t i c~ games I've played was A Plague Tale which is on xbox game pass for pc for $1 so there's no reason not to play it. just an absolutely really good looking low to mid-tier budget indie game that tells a way more interesting story than Uncharted 9 or "are we the real monsters???" tlou garbage.

highly recommended

this game is super gross and i loved it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

i can almost guarantee it was some flavor of COD that broke the $50 barrier if it wasn't modern warfare 2 specifically

60 dollar games started in ~2005 and CoD wasn’t a huge deal til CoD4:MW in 2007.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Persona 5 was my GOTY the year it came out (barely edging out Darkwood, the other high-profile anime highschool dating sim that came out that year) because the presentation is extremely good down to the menu animations of all things, the characters and story are memorable, and the handcrafted dungeons are a good experience mixed in with pokemon demon collecting. I tried to get into persona 4 some years before that and trailed off because unlike persona 5 it takes literal hours for the story to get rolling and the gameplay to start, the characters are not as engaging as persona 5’s at least early on, the presentation/style isn’t as slick, and the dungeons are boring randomly-generated filler where floor 8 is exactly the same as floor 7. this is probably not a helpful comparison because they didn’t put persona 5 on PC, but I really hope they eventually do that now that one of the games is in

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the main thing I remember about Persona 5's story is that the angry teenagers end up deciding they can trust in the establishment to make gradual change

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'd trade all the Persona in the world for more Shadow Hearts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Givin posted:

I'd trade all the Persona in the world for more Shadow Hearts.

These sorts of wishes is how we end up with mobile gachas.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't believe I'm still messing with the first level of the first HITMAN campaign two days later :psyduck:

Even with a couple instances of reloading at a convenient spot mid-mission to do a few different feats quickly (metagaming bastard that I am :v:) there's still a bunch of scripting I haven't seen yet. Nothing to do with the fireworks show!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ciaphas posted:

I can't believe I'm still messing with the first level of the first HITMAN campaign two days later :psyduck:

Even with a couple instances of reloading at a convenient spot mid-mission to do a few different feats quickly (metagaming bastard that I am :v:) there's still a bunch of scripting I haven't seen yet. Nothing to do with the fireworks show!

Just wait until you get into making characters alternate their paths, or how to make characters come together for interactions/opportunities that the later levels have WAY more off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

Paris is a land of wonders and it still feels kinda small after playing the bigger levels :D

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hold up they already announced Hitman 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

60 dollar games started in ~2005 and CoD wasn’t a huge deal til CoD4:MW in 2007.

on consoles or on steam? because games on steam were still $50 new long after they started being $60 on consoles until i'm pretty sure one of the cods broke the mold. that's what we were talking about.