Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The Ink Witch fits, like, every possible definition of a narcissistic, manipulative fake "best friend" type using Snout for her own ends. Snout has basically no understanding or context for the outside world and real relationships, she's hosed him over a bunch of times while begging him to help her, there's a TON of evidence that she has some nefarious scheme in mind for whatever the gently caress they're searching for, alienates anyone who's genuinely kind to Snout and helps him out, possibly used her tits to manipulate him as well, and pulls the "I just hope you can still trust me" card. Everything about her is awful.
No wonder Eggman wanted to kill her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The Ink Witch fits, like, every possible definition of a narcissistic, manipulative fake "best friend" type using Snout for her own ends. Snout has basically no understanding or context for the outside world and real relationships, she's hosed him over a bunch of times while begging him to help her, there's a TON of evidence that she has some nefarious scheme in mind for whatever the gently caress they're searching for, alienates anyone who's genuinely kind to Snout and helps him out, possibly used her tits to manipulate him as well, and pulls the "I just hope you can still trust me" card. Everything about her is awful.

Yeah I didnt' even think about it right away but this is literally the first time she saw him after the "hope you can still trust me."

DD though was filled to the loving brim though with protagonists being unintentionally written as emotionally manipulative.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zerilan posted:

DD though was filled to the loving brim though with protagonists being unintentionally written as emotionally manipulative.

Mookie is not an emotionally healthy person or in emotionally healthy environments.

That or he's rock loving stupid and will clumsily try to designate hero and villain once this is pointed out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
“Or”?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nessus posted:

No wonder Eggman wanted to kill her!

Just make sure they never marry and the moon is safe.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

So it looks like the reason they don't like each other is that they approached him about his pages, he told them to gently caress off, so they stole from him.

also

NO!

DIALOG!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A COMIC

ENTIRELY

WITHOUT

DIALOGUE

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So the entirety of the conflict of this story is that Ink Witch and her peers hosed with Arudak. Like that's literally it, they're assholes to him, so he thinks they suck, and they're righteously indignant about it.

What about the Ink Witch exactly is likable? Every time we see her I dislike her more and more and she's supposed to be the deuteragonist.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah I am not reading all that. The cliffnotes version is fine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like how she says "it's complicated" but the first half of the explanation is useless information she didn't have to bother telling him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Very brave of Mookie to transcend word bubbles by making even the background a vessel for this webcomic that has no dialogue, that is filled with words. The ink witch coven sound like a bunch of judgemental jerks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm glad that Mookie didn't use the Ink Witch's powers to show us a stylistic flashback of her past with Orc Man. That poo poo's for visual mediums, we're making a comic here!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:golfclap:

Also, incredibly minor nitpick of the original, but... Why go to all of the effort of typing up all of that, then block off something like half of it by drawing Snout over it? This is supposed to be when the reader is meant to find out just what the cause of the beef is between the two of them (at least from the Ink Witch’s POV), and I’m dubious that there’s going to be some critical piece of information that just so happened to be obscured from the audience that becomes significant later on.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Also, incredibly minor nitpick of the original, but... Why go to all of the effort of typing up all of that, then block off something like half of it by drawing Snout over it? This is supposed to be when the reader is meant to find out just what the cause of the beef is between the two of them (at least from the Ink Witch’s POV), and I’m dubious that there’s going to be some critical piece of information that just so happened to be obscured from the audience that becomes significant later on.

Because Wednesday's update is just going to be the text with a tiny drawing of snout reading in a corner.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

It's :words:
That's literally it. You're supposed to see the wall of text and go "jesus that's a lot of backstory to their rivalry", but not actually read it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

That's literally it. You're supposed to see the wall of text and go "jesus that's a lot of backstory to their rivalry", but not actually read it.

If people read it they might expect future plot developments to adhere to it and Mookie doesn't like that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

Yup. That's why Snout's reaction is what it is too. He's going "whhahooaaaah I can't put my head around all that complicated backstory this is too much". Even though it's not, at all.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Love that Arudak is a wife beater too. This is Mookie trying to make us like him less because he's figured out that the inkwitch seems like the villain so far.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

Love that Arudak is a wife beater too. This is Mookie trying to make us like him less because he's figured out that the inkwitch seems like the villain so far.

:tinfoil: Oh god no I think I know where this is going :tinfoil:

It's gonna be a whole thing on callout culture. See, they heard he did all those awful things from 'a trusted source', even though he was fine with them, and then they started ostracising him on the basis that he allegedly did bad poo poo to presumably good people before, and later on they felt like they were justified in loving up his poo poo for their own benefit.

Later on it's gonna turn out that all of those people were assholes who attacked him first, or lied about being attacked, or they were never attacked at all because the source lied because they don't like Arudak or something.

Always count on Mookie for the worst possible take.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

:tinfoil: Oh god no I think I know where this is going :tinfoil:

It's gonna be a whole thing on callout culture. See, they heard he did all those awful things from 'a trusted source', even though he was fine with them, and then they started ostracising him on the basis that he allegedly did bad poo poo to presumably good people before, and later on they felt like they were justified in loving up his poo poo for their own benefit.

Later on it's gonna turn out that all of those people were assholes who attacked him first, or lied about being attacked, or they were never attacked at all because the source lied because they don't like Arudak or something.

Always count on Mookie for the worst possible take.
There are three problems with that theory. 1) If Mookie had enough understanding of the rest of the internet to know what callout culture is, I don't think he'd still be making this extended train of runny shits. 2) Ink Witch is based on Mookie's wife, there is no way the comic isn't going to frame her as always right all the time. 3) That would display a startling lack of moral myopia, given what comic we're reading.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 15, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i didn't forget that stonewater was a rapist, but i'd entirely forgotten that this arc concludes in "everybody was only mad at him for being a rapist because they were demon possessed, everybody really likes him and doesn't care that he's a rapist otherwise"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Miss posted:

i didn't forget that stonewater was a rapist, but i'd entirely forgotten that this arc concludes in "everybody was only mad at him for being a rapist because they were demon possessed, everybody really likes him and doesn't care that he's a rapist otherwise"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

thank's

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GrossMurpel posted:

The sad part is it's not a lot or complicated. In fact it's a very simple, straightforward backstory she could have summed up at any point that she's been with Snout in like a minute, tops.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A Comic Without Dialogue posted:

So when Arudak came to the Ink Witches for help with dream magic we were hesitant to help him. He never exhibited aggressive behavior toward us but we had heard stories of his interactions with the Chandaks of Maltak and the Circle of Archmagi. A source we trust told us he punched a respected halfling mage, struck a Luanian priest with his staff, and even tried to kill a Chandak he had been intimate with! We initially turned him away, but when he offered to share those pages about Dominic Deegan with us we took a chance with him. There's great magic in those pages, if you know how to look for them, and we ink witches are always seeking magic to learn, and to educate [ourselves]. Arudak wanted to keep these [pages of] Dream Magic for himself [??? Possibly nothing] [I don't] know why, but he became [aggressive] when asked about it. He [threatened] to take his pages away, and we [were at risk of] losing access to their hidden [power and] meaning. So I made the [others steal] the pages for my [???] what we learned [???] [?]ck secrets away [from Arudak who wanted them for unknown] purposes! He flew [into a rage and lashed] out at my Coven and [???] my best friends. I may [have kinda sorta possibly 100% totally done] something wrong, but there [is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.]

TLDR: "We were working cooperatively and then tried to steal from him and he got angry with us for some strange reason!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The framing of that last panel implies that Dominic is actually the villain behind the villain, causing all of the comic's terrible plots and twists. And, God, do I want to live in an alternate universe where that's what happens.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:chloe:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

There are three problems with that theory. 1) If Mookie had enough understanding of the rest of the internet to know what callout culture is, I don't think he'd still be making this extended train of runny shits. 2) Ink Witch is based on Mookie's wife, there is no way the comic isn't going to frame her as always right all the time. 3) That would display a startling lack of moral myopia, given what comic we're reading.

I'll give you the first one, but that's why I brought up the 'the source lied' thing, leaving room for the retcon that while she didn't personally take part in the bullying because she's a Nice Girl, she didn't try and stop it either because she was scared of the other witches in the coven turning on and browbeating her for not believing the source and by proxy the people he attacked, and therefore blames herself with them even though she had the least involvement, which tracks with Mookie liking doormats who blame themselves for everything.

As for the last part Mookie going for the 'those lying bitches ruined an innocent man's life' take on callout culture feels pretty in-character to me.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

Because Wednesday's update is just going to be the text with a tiny drawing of snout reading in a corner.

This comic is exhausting

Ignore all that shady poo poo this ink witch did, it was actually that ink witch being shady. Just dumping all the negative traits onto an entirely new character ALSO CALLED THE INK WITCH.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 16, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheHan posted:

Ignore all that shady poo poo this ink witch was, it was actually that ink witch being shady. Just dumping all the negative traits onto an entirely new character ALSO CALLED THE INK WITCH.

Nah, Snout's the The Ink Witch was the thief. Arudak lashed out at a (somewhat, theoretically) blameless third party because of the actions taken by the only The Ink Witch we've seen.

There's a reason naming your major characters is good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You should never punch someone for trying to steal your precious possessions.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hooo boy does this not look great given *waves hand vaguely outside*

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, Snout's the The Ink Witch was the thief. Arudak lashed out at a (somewhat, theoretically) blameless third party because of the actions taken by the only The Ink Witch we've seen.

There's a reason naming your major characters is good.

Oh wait you’re right, I read this page as Snout reading the Ink Witch’s explanation from Monday, with the ink witch saying her friend (the ink witch) was the one who stole the pages and now she isn’t sure if she can trust the Ink Witch or Arudak. But it seems like it’s supposed to be Snout recapping what he just read and saying he doesn’t know who to trust between Arudak and the Ink Witch. This page does something to my brain and it reads as being from both their perspectives simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There's something incredibly stupid to me about the fact that the pages, as in those pages that were presumably not even written by Dominic since they appeared to be from a history textbook written 200 years after the fact, are somehow enchanted. I held off on talking about this because before it's fairly armchair psychoanalysis, but I swear Mookie has that thing that book lovers on Facebook have where they seem to fetishize the books themselves, and the act of writing, rather than the stories they convey. these pages are not important for the knowledge they contain but are into themselves ritual artifacts that have mystic power. It's so weird.