Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

George H.W. oval office posted:

I hope this turns out good.

*flashes arm tattoo*

Legit am waiting for UV tattoo ink to be...better so I can get an emperor's reach tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Have to see how the game plays, but I don't mind a first person only flight sim being 5v5. There is likely going to be AI ships as well, and something like 12v12 could just devolve into group shooting enemy ships.

Yeah if this ends up leaning more towards the flight sim spectrum of things, 5v5 with AI works just fine. Some of the most intense fights you can have in a flight sim are usually around that, if a little less.

A 12 v 12 could easily turn into a missile spamming cluster gently caress where you barely get a chance to dogfight and maneuver.

magiccarpet posted:

First time I'll be buying a joystick in about 20 years.

Might want to hold off until they confirm hotas support. And if the game is even good lol

Also, vkb just released their Gladiator K joystick.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 16, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It's my favorite theme in the whole series.

Could have done without the "wistful nostalgic piano cover" and instead just blasted The Asteroid Field through the whole trailer.

As for having higher player counts, War Thunder does dogfights with huge teams and they turn into hilariously fun mosh pits so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Could have done without the "wistful nostalgic piano cover" and instead just blasted The Asteroid Field through the whole trailer.

As for having higher player counts, War Thunder does dogfights with huge teams and they turn into hilariously fun mosh pits so I don't see why they couldn't do the same here.

That's only true for air arcade though. Really depends on how far down the sim spectrum they go and how respawns will work. Also worth considering that not even WT arcade/rb force cockpit-only, like Squadrons might.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Gimmie an expansion campaign where you're a customs officer in some sector fleet who then has to fight off pirates and gets transferred to a gladiator or some other ship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Symetrique posted:

That's only true for air arcade though. Really depends on how far down the sim spectrum they go and how respawns will work. Also worth considering that not even WT arcade/rb force cockpit-only, like Squadrons might.

Oh I know, but full team RB fights can be amazing. I highly doubt that Squadrons will have cockpit only, as much as I want it to be the case. Elite Dangerous just isnt the fast paced cockpit dogfighting game o need.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Is that Hera in the back of the shot around 50 seconds in?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I know, but full team RB fights can be amazing. I highly doubt that Squadrons will have cockpit only, as much as I want it to be the case. Elite Dangerous just isnt the fast paced cockpit dogfighting game o need.

Yeah, we'll find out Thursday. Some of the press stuff has been emphasizing the "first-person" aspect of this. Seems like some of the cosmetics will also be for your cockpit so I'm thinking that might be the direction they go with this.

If so, I'm really hoping they add head tracking support.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Arcsquad12 posted:

Until BF2's SFA mode, I would get on War Thunder and blast some Star Wars space battle music while joining those mosh pits.

I'm fine with 5v5 as a separate mode for those sessions where you just want to focus on dog fighting while simultaneously trying to complete the objectives, but don't get in the way of my mindless carnage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that there's a mapmaker function. Just give me a giant space void where I can mix and match space stations and cruisers and build dogfight scenarios.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Captain_Person posted:

Is that Hera in the back of the shot around 50 seconds in?

Yes

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Some quick observations I picked up:

0:17 - The indicators on the right are definitely callback to the old ELS (Engine, Lasers, Shields) display in the old PC X-Wing games. The arrows underneath them probably are for D-pad controls.

0:41 - The paint detail on the TIE Interceptor reminds me a lot of the 181st TIE Squadron from Legends

0:51 - Hera (from the "Rebels" animated series and other stuff)

0:57 - The preorder stuff extra confirms it, but I was happy to see that the green X-Wing at the front of the shot has the classic New Republic symbol from Legends on its wing. (It also appeared briefly in an episode of The Mandalorian, but wasn't as clear)

1:08 - I don't recall sustained energy beams being used as a starship weapon besides the Death Star (and various knockoffs), so it's interesting to see it being used by the TIE Bombers. Actually, the only time I recall seeing it was during the B-Wing episode of Rebels, so I wonder if the we're going to find out that the Rebels stole that tech for their own bomber.

1:11 - Wedge!

1:15 - It looks like the Y-Wing uses some sort of burst missile to take down a whole group of TIE Fighters.

1:54 - The round indicator on the right side of the cockpit looks similar to the shield indicator in the PC X-Wing games (although similar was used in Rogue Squadron as well)

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 16, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tie Fighter was maybe my favorite game of all time as a kid, so against my better judgement I'm getting excited for this based on the trailer.

PunkBoy posted:

0:17 - The indicators on the right are definitely callback to the old ELS (Engine, Lasers, Shields) display in the old PC X-Wing games. The arrows underneath them probably are for D-pad controls.

That was one of the first things i notice, the attention on it as they increased engine power, and the arrow keys making it look pretty certain as dpad controls for it.

(classic x-wing, you can see the same colors even being used)

Then when you see the TIE interceptor's cockpit, just as it should be, it only has engine and laser levels, no shield. :swoon:
Also the beautiful target display showing the targets health and distance it looks like.

The 5v5 from the sounds of it is mostly because they seem to be positioning this in an almost overwatch style, where each ship has a different role and you want a balanced team to counter the other. Instead of a huge melee of mostly samey ships. This also appears why ships have cooldown special powers, such as the big laser from the bomber, which you can see before the trigger pull the symbol to the left of the missile count is full, then in the screenshot after it fires its empty.

PunkBoy posted:

1:08 - I don't recall sustained energy beams being used as a starship weapon besides the Death Star (and various knockoffs), so it's interesting to see it being used by the TIE Bombers. Actually, the only time I recall seeing it was during the B-Wing episode of Rebels, so I wonder if the we're going to find out that the Rebels stole that tech for their own bomber.

You can also see in the shot of the X-wing cockpit the symbol looks like a repair of some kind which.... would make sense I guess "hey R-2, see if you can fix it".

PunkBoy posted:

1:54 - The round indicator on the right side of the cockpit looks similar to the shield indicator in the PC X-Wing games (although similar was used in Rogue Squadron as well)

If they want to do it MOBA style, with different classes and balancing your team, and keeping it at a tight 5v5 with other AI ships around... gently caress it, I'm still on board. I think thats a good fit for team multiplayer anyways and I will definitely give it a pass for now until seeing how it plays like that.

Against all my better judgement I'm excited for this. I'm still waiting for EA to pull the rug out from under me, but an X-wing/Tie spiritual successor, first person only, having to manage power systems, multiplayer and a full campaign, and with VR and HOTAS support (confirmed elsewhere), is just breaking down my natural instinct to have no hope in an EA star wars title.

Help me.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 16, 2020

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Never mind, I completely missed the section about massive fleet battles because all I saw was 5v5 everywhere. They really need to stress the fleet battle portion in their marketing.

After playing solely in cockpit mode for a few hours in BF2, I'm actually surprised with how much I now prefer it as opposed to 3rd person. You also get a better sense of speed when you're at full throttle so VR will probably feel even crazier.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

jivjov posted:

Ewok pilot or bust. Yub yub commander.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I wonder if it's going to support a simple dpad in VR, rather than only the VR controllers. I'm no expert on either, but from my experience those VR controllers are not meant for any sort of PvP or competitive level control. You'd be smoked every time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BigHead posted:

I wonder if it's going to support a simple dpad in VR, rather than only the VR controllers. I'm no expert on either, but from my experience those VR controllers are not meant for any sort of PvP or competitive level control. You'd be smoked every time.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't. The PS4 version will most likely be designed for the normal controller.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Gotta go fast

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

Gotta go fast

:hmmyes:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

There were some continuous beam weapons used in the prequels (the gunships' pod lasers, the Venator-class' ventral gun), but it's an odd addition here. Also, the scene where they're dropping iron bombs on the shipyard is... a thing, though in their defense, bombs are the only weapon we've ever actually seen TIE Bombers use in the films.

I'm going to be the one lone voice of "I don't really want to go back to the old X-Wing series games" despite playing the poo poo out of them when they were new. I leaped at the chance to own them again when GOG put them back on the market, and... holy poo poo, you can't go home again. Nothing about them felt right, or even particularly Star Wars-y. That might not have been the first thing to take the WW2-in-space feel we saw on screen and subordinate it to missile combat, but it was on its list of sins.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

BigHead posted:

I would be shocked if motion controllers were supported at all. Some form of HOTAS support is confirmed, so I think game pad is a given.

The Battlefront X-Wing mission in VR is one of my favorite experiences, I am very hyped for this...

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

PunkBoy posted:

I’d bet it’s the same tech that’s on LAAT gunships from the Clone Wars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

How the hell does a game have only 5v5 in 2020

netcode hard

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

BigHead posted:

Here's the actual HOTAS/controller support confirmation:

quote:

Fly your way - Star Wars: Squadrons has controller, joystick, and hands on throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) support. We’ll have more details on supported sticks as we get closer to launch.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/star-wars-squadrons/star-wars-squadrons/pre-order-star-wars-squadrons/

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Madurai posted:

There were some continuous beam weapons used in the prequels (the gunships' pod lasers, the Venator-class' ventral gun), but it's an odd addition here. Also, the scene where they're dropping iron bombs on the shipyard is... a thing, though in their defense, bombs are the only weapon we've ever actually seen TIE Bombers use in the films.

Pops Mgee posted:

I'd bet it's the same tech that's on LAAT gunships from the Clone Wars.

Good call on that. Forgot about the gunships.

Madurai posted:

I'm going to be the one lone voice of "I don't really want to go back to the old X-Wing series games" despite playing the poo poo out of them when they were new. I leaped at the chance to own them again when GOG put them back on the market, and... holy poo poo, you can't go home again. Nothing about them felt right, or even particularly Star Wars-y. That might not have been the first thing to take the WW2-in-space feel we saw on screen and subordinate it to missile combat, but it was on its list of sins.

That's completely fair, and yeah, I'm now getting memories of going in circles like a moron trying to dodge Concussion Missiles. I do hope there's a bigger emphasis on laser cannon combat.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I never played the X-wing/TIE series so thank you for the come to Jesus reviews on it. They never really looked that great from the videos I saw.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FBS posted:

I'm pissed off to learn that it actually has VR support so now I have to hope it's a good game instead of smugly dismissing it as another EA disaster before it even comes out

HOTAS/controller support confirmation:

quote:

Fly your way - Star Wars: Squadrons has controller, joystick, and hands on throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) support. We’ll have more details on supported sticks as we get closer to launch.

NOW, that assumes that they actually ship this feature, in the first year, if ever

EA kind of invented the meme of broken pre-launch promises to get max preorders, and then a year after release, do some broken poo poo that works just well enough to fend off a class action lawsuit

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

And just like that, the bastards get me back in.

Maybe I will pick up a flight stick for this.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Hope mkb controls will be good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
£35 seems suspiciously cheap price for a game at launch

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's a multiplayer 5v5 x-wing vs. tie fighter rehash with a token single player campaign tacked on

At least with FPS shooters you have ground, which allows for a map. Space battles might have a blurry planet in the background, and, I guess this one might actually have an asteroid field, but there's not a lot there to create variation besides how many and how far apart the capital ships are.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rebels puts a beam weapon on the prototype B-Wing and it is hella cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3o_UpFn7E

fridge corn posted:

£35 seems suspiciously cheap price for a game at launch

Recycled Battlefront 2 assets, short campaign, limited scope (but with room for an expansion pack/dlc) made quickly by a smaller studio using existing engine and basical flight mechanics/concept, cheap project to fill a release slot for new consoles in a year when many games have been delayed.

C&C Remasters which came out two weeks ago is only $20 for a similar 'limited scope' project for a specific fanbase and wouldn't have cost much to make since it was updating an existing game with source/original assets and some new assets made by outsourcing work.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 16, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Honestly if it's an easy to get into, hard to master dogfighting MP version of House of the Dying Sun i'm in

So few games have got the feel of space combat right, HotDS is the best so far but for some reason they made the missions have a really limited hard timer limit which whilst fun really curtailed the whole looking around in VR in awe part of it. There's an amazing VR space combat engine just sat there (man what if EA hired that guy....)

One issue is player versus player turning into infinite turning battles.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Holllyyy poo poo.

When I first saw the trailer, I just assumed it was a cheap single player skin on-top of Battlefronts existing fighter Squadron engine, and was probably DLC that evolved into a standalone release. Regardless, I was still pretty excited since I loved the starfighter stuff in Battlefront. They had all the right flight mechanics for a good rogue squadron game, just not the content.

But then I heard it was in VR... Then I heard it was first person only... then I saw a goon post the engines laser shields breakdown. Now I'm practically drooling in anticipation, and this never happens to me.

Please don't suck!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I could not be more excited about this game if I tried.

Now to see if a VR headset will fit inside my helmet....

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Isometric Bacon posted:

Holllyyy poo poo.

When I first saw the trailer, I just assumed it was a cheap single player skin on-top of Battlefronts existing fighter Squadron engine, and was probably DLC that evolved into a standalone release. Regardless, I was still pretty excited since I loved the starfighter stuff in Battlefront. They had all the right flight mechanics for a good rogue squadron game, just not the content.

But then I heard it was in VR... Then I heard it was first person only... then I saw a goon post the engines laser shields breakdown. Now I'm practically drooling in anticipation, and this never happens to me.

Please don't suck!

Try House of the Dying Sun if you have not already.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Given the lack of an extended announcement period I am intensely sceptical about this.

quote:

Recycled Battlefront 2 assets, short campaign, limited scope (but with room for an expansion pack/dlc) made quickly by a smaller studio using existing engine and basic flight mechanics/concept, cheap project to fill a release slot for new consoles in a year when many games have been delayed.

On the other hand, I feel like the problem with quite a few AAA games (in particular from EA's studios) is the tendency to try to do far too much and spend too much and lose focus. 'Take BF2's Starfighter mode and turn it into a tight 5v5 multiplayer game with a better flight model' is a kind of focussed pitch that I can see turning out okay.

Won't have long to wait in any case.

e: also recommending House of the Dying Sun. It manages to deliver a sense of pace that X-Wing v Tie Fighter never could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSBui-F6RnY

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 16, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, thirding House of the Dying Sun for Homeworld inspired space dogfighting VR madness. Just an incredible look and feel to that game, and it’s actually pretty fun to play too.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

jarlywarly posted:

Try House of the Dying Sun if you have not already.

Ooh. I'll have to check this out too. For some reason I always had this conflated with From Other Suns, another VR game, and never really looked into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I share in everyone's skepticism but at *least* based on the way they've approached the announcement and what they've shown so far, there's an indication that someone in charge is trying to fix their PR and has heard some complaints

Remains to be seen what that translates into but still, this is one of the few games on my dream list - X wing in VR - so they got me. Battlefront was fun for *a bit* so I don't regret the purchase, but it didn't have legs

I'm a weirdo with games, I just play one until I get tired of it, and despite everything wrong with Overwatch I haven't stopped playing it

I don't really like 5v5 for that reason though, but single player old school classic missions? sign me the gently caress up