Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AItTqnTsVjA

I generally appreciate Ross Scott's opinions on video games (even if I don't always agree with them), and Freeman's Mind is a classic of 2010s Internet comedy, but any time he tries to talk about non-video game stuff he really... shouldn't. Watch for an hour as a guy who runs LiteStep ITYOOL 2020 rant about how all GUIs suck (despite admittedly only using Windows 7 for the past decade and not having tried a Mac in "years" and not really trying Linux for any extended period either)! He does make a few good points but, as a YouTube commenter points out, "I mean you're not wrong but you're right for the wrong reasons and it makes me feel bad". That said, it was nice to be reminded of one of the best tech videos ever made (for all the wrong reasons):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

Fun game: pay attention to the clock on the oven in the background.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Do they do anything besides LTT videos? Or are they at a point where it's all self sustained, i.e. just make videos about making youtube videos or the equipment to do it.

Looking at the (large) building they're in and staff they have, it's clear that LMG is a pretty significant production company and I'd bet Youtube isn't the biggest part of their business. They make commercials and corporate promotional videos and probably training videos and poo poo like that.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

Looking at the (large) building they're in and staff they have, it's clear that LMG is a pretty significant production company and I'd bet Youtube isn't the biggest part of their business. They make commercials and corporate promotional videos and probably training videos and poo poo like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t73wXF8IF-8

He actually breaks it all down.

https://statsmash.com/en-gb/calculator/linus-tech-tips-net-worth
This site says he's bringing in nearly $2M per year on YT ads alone

Moo the cow fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 10, 2020

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

stevewm posted:

It has been mentioned they also produce videos/commercials for other companies in the PC hardware market...

I didn't know that, that's pretty smart actually! Can't fault his business skills in being able to build it from himself reviewing stuff on YouTube into an actual business with diversified income streams instead of 99% of other big youtuber's who just go and make a second VLOG channel or sell merchandise a to diversify.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rudager posted:

I didn't know that, that's pretty smart actually! Can't fault his business skills in being able to build it from himself reviewing stuff on YouTube into an actual business with diversified income streams instead of 99% of other big youtuber's who just go and make a second VLOG channel or sell merchandise LTTstore.com a to diversify.

FTFY

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I'm finding myslf turning most of these texh youtubers off after the usual 3 to 4 minute preamble of nothing before they eventually get to the 20 seconds worth of news. They all suck at this, particulalrly Jay as I see him being lazy with his videos moreso than usual. Hardware unboxed are too formulaic and dry at times and as much as I appreciate Steve's efforts, he's too monotone and needs to find brevity at times.

I'm certain it's just these guys riding the lovely algorithm to maxinise exposure, but it really drones on when an article can do the job so much quicker.

I find Linus the most annoying, but he really is just a huge dork so I can't hold it against him.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Even GN is intolerable when it comes to news, although at least they have the occasional juicy insider tidbit tucked in. I tend to just ignore it all and figure if it's worth hearing I'll inevitably run across it one way or another. I definitely miss the days of sites like TR being good when you could just spend 20 seconds looking at one page to find out if anything noteworthy happened in the past week.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Mr.Radar posted:

Fun game: pay attention to the clock on the oven in the background.

It is literally that Rock Bottom bit from the Simpsons. Why in gods name would they film this directly in front of a clock?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Linus is the best and it's amazing how jealous it makes people that he's successful.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Well yeah, that's just money for the taking.

None of the other big tech channels seem to have come up with a way to take the contacts they have from doing promo bits and turn it into a new revenue stream completely independent of the Youtube stuff, that's the bit I'm a bit impressed by.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 12, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've built up a video production capability and all your staff know a lot about PC hardware then being able to do video production for 'enthusiast' PC hardware manufacturers that might only have handfuls of people based outside of China/Taiwan is a really smart thing to do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5y6PLe8V9s

edit: the context for this is that this is the 8-bit guy on another channel that he abandoned a couple years ago. he is a youtube tech idiot

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 16, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Christ, what a weenie.

Whilst watching that, my brain insisted on overlaying a trenchcoat onto him.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"In the summer I *have* to carry little pistols like this"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Y'all've never met a Texan, have you? They're weird, they're all weird.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most of them aren't even from Texas, they moved there to be weird

mewse
May 2, 2006

We're not doing this to scare a bunch of people, just allow me to elaborate how many people I terrified in a Subway sandwich shop,

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

"In the summer I *have* to carry little pistols like this"

snakes and such

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just when i think i understand america's gun situation i'm introduced to squads of texans carting around ARs for fun and "educating the public". Also lol that they went to a subway and a comics store.

actual content that won't start a 2A nightmare derail :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0bdzeAZ1w

LTT finished their custom Mac Pro G5, hackintosh finally. Took like 4 months and it's a rattle can paint job with some components being taped on. What a channel.

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 15, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

mewse posted:

We're not doing this to scare a bunch of people, just allow me to elaborate how many people I terrified in a Subway sandwich shop,

well why not posted:

just when i think i understand america's gun situation i'm introduced to squads of texans carting around ARs for fun and "educating the public". Also lol that they went to a subway and a comics store.

The lack of awareness is just stunning.
Not least because whatever the issue they were trying to promote, I am now automatically opposed to it.

well why not posted:

LTT finished their custom Mac Pro G5, hackintosh finally. Took like 4 months and it's a rattle can paint job with some components being taped on. What a channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IHSRPVqwQ&t=229s
Posted at the same time: however I was unable to watch beyond the stunningly ugly and poo poo case that someone is selling for $2,000 with a straight face.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Moo the cow posted:

The lack of awareness is just stunning.
Not least because whatever the issue they were trying to promote, I am now automatically opposed to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IHSRPVqwQ&t=229s
Posted at the same time: however I was unable to watch beyond the stunningly ugly and poo poo case that someone is selling for $2,000 with a straight face.

That video has the overarching feel that they thought they were going to slam dunk the Mac Pro and by the end it was just like 'what the gently caress are we doing?'

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

well why not posted:

Also the power supply is held in place by..gravity? Awesome!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Theophany posted:

That video has the overarching feel that they thought they were going to slam dunk the Mac Pro and by the end it was just like 'what the gently caress are we doing?'

Alex, from offscreen: "The script is written as if the Mac Pro wins this part". This one seems like a COVID scramble, haha. Having two Mac Pro competitor videos in two days is wonky, even for LTT. I'm guessing the schedule got all hosed up and this is how it had to be to meet the sponsorship contract or something.

That PC, despite being 30k just seems so lovely compared to the (admittedly less powerful) Mac Pro. The connectivity is whacked, the case is awful (although the 2-way mirror idea is neat, this is a bad look), the "no video outs" issue is weird. 30k is a lot of money for something you have to build yourself.

It's a pretty good illustration of why a Mac is kinda desirable. You just have your company buy it, plug it in and you're generally pretty good to go. At least the mac pro has video out and wifi/bluetooth out of the box.

I can't help but think the final "drag race" with their hackintosh build is going to be ... pretty much the same thing. They've already spent a huge amount of money on it to the point where the "PC is cheaper" mantra is likely long forgotten. To say nothing of the time spent. I'm pretty sure you can order a Mac Pro and have it within the week.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

well why not posted:

Alex, from offscreen: "The script is written as if the Mac Pro wins this part". This one seems like a COVID scramble, haha. Having two Mac Pro competitor videos in two days is wonky, even for LTT. I'm guessing the schedule got all hosed up and this is how it had to be to meet the sponsorship contract or something.

That PC, despite being 30k just seems so lovely compared to the (admittedly less powerful) Mac Pro. The connectivity is whacked, the case is awful (although the 2-way mirror idea is neat, this is a bad look), the "no video outs" issue is weird. 30k is a lot of money for something you have to build yourself.

It's a pretty good illustration of why a Mac is kinda desirable. You just have your company buy it, plug it in and you're generally pretty good to go. At least the mac pro has video out and wifi/bluetooth out of the box.

I can't help but think the final "drag race" with their hackintosh build is going to be ... pretty much the same thing. They've already spent a huge amount of money on it to the point where the "PC is cheaper" mantra is likely long forgotten. To say nothing of the time spent. I'm pretty sure you can order a Mac Pro and have it within the week.

Well the case is the whole reason that build has taken as long as it has. In a regular case with all the parts it could definitely come in cheaper than the Mac Pro and be built in the same amount of time it takes a Mac Pro to ship.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Upset about JayzTwoCents. He was who I watched about as much as GN. I gave up on Hardware Canucks recently because now they’re pretty much doing sponsored videos and seems to be thirsty for Razer. Sucks because they had some good itx case coverage.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYJRlL6QNw

finally some true hardcore gamer content

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

Haven't watched it yet but we got another Angry Steve video. I'm glad that he seems to feel secure enough in his place in the industry and his connections to be taking shots at people who deserve it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

K8.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BXwCJtaZE

Haven't watched it yet but we got another Angry Steve video. I'm glad that he seems to feel secure enough in his place in the industry and his connections to be taking shots at people who deserve it.

Yessssss

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Cavauro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5y6PLe8V9s

edit: the context for this is that this is the 8-bit guy on another channel that he abandoned a couple years ago. he is a youtube tech idiot

Got a “Who are you gonna trust, President Trump or a Lying Democrat?” ad when I clicked that and now I want to drill my brains out, thanks.

Now I’m thinking about Open Carry Assault Rifles + Dude who drives a Tesla Model X

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I know Linus is just shilling his hats, but it really looks like he's balding.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
So glad I found this thread, I follow way too many terrible PC youtube channels for my own good. Happy to see the universal praise for Steve aka tech jesus. :)

Just watched an entertaining one from him reviewing one of the most idiotic cases ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupiPZybyBE

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Optimum Tech adds a monoblock to his ITX custom loop and is surprised to see is that dumping vrm heat into a loop makes things warmer. This is in a preparing for the 3090 video where he trades out for a smaller radiator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlSlEcuQpEU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nowher posted:

So glad I found this thread, I follow way too many terrible PC youtube channels for my own good. Happy to see the universal praise for Steve aka tech jesus. :)

Just watched an entertaining one from him reviewing one of the most idiotic cases ever.

My favorite GN videos are the "Disappointment PC" builds. Every year, at the end of the year, Steve takes the worst components tested that year and builds an awful rig out of them.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1304952611787792384

GN hit a million, well earned

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Great, maybe Steve will finally stop making videos where he's blatantly just reading off a script word-for-word in a monotone voice while we try to process a million loving charts crammed on our monitors. Because, god drat, when he actually does off the cuff stuff it's actually great and I don't know why they lack the confidence to do more stuff like that.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

That's kind of the entire GN brand, though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
To me, the GN brand is about in-depth testing, consistent & proven methodology, not afraid to be blacklisted to expose blatant bullshit marketing, doing thorough testing to expose fraudulent stuff etc. etc.

That doesn't mean he has to stand in front of a camera and just read off an entire article verbatim in a monotone voice. The best parts are when he puts the piece of paper down, looks at the camera, and actually speaks from his own well of knowledge on the topic at hand. The best content is by far the stuff like where he calls out MSI's bullshit and NZXT's BLD's garbo stuff etc.

Even the HW news weekly vids I just click straight to the article and it's literally the script he's reading.

The streams are all great too because it's just him and the GN crew not being shackled by an A4 printout.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Eh, performance data is performance data. I agree it doesn't make for great video content, but it's the content you want when you want to know how something performs. I'm 100% sure Steve (from Gamersnexus) would rather just put out the article and accompanying graphs since it's the best data in the best format for said data, but he's been explicit that it's videos that pay the bills, so videos happen regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The bald faced contempt for having to make videos is the charm