Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Watching Kipo with the kids, only three episodes on the second season, and I love this show so much.

Also of note, when I watch with the kids we watch the Dutch dubbed version, and it's done really, really well. Both the Dutch translations and the voice acting is on point. Awesome to see how far Dutch dubbing has come since I was a kid. It was loving atrocious back in the 90s and early 00s. (Strangely enough 80s voice acting was pretty good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Eh I liked the sense of wonder more in the first season and the mystery surrounding what happened to the world to make the wonder beasts. the second season didnt really do it for me.

But credit where credit due. I like how in current media in shows like She-ra or Voltron villians have character and motivation and might even be to a degree sympathetic

I saw some you tube video where the author points out you can see the start of that trend with Mr Freeze in Batman TAS.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ups_rail posted:

I saw some you tube video where the author points out you can see the start of that trend with Mr Freeze in Batman TAS.

That's a really specific point to consider as the start of a really generic concept...
I can't really see a writer declaring: "I will try to make the enemies of my story multidimensional, with an actual relatable goal. Just like Mr Freeze in Batman TAS!"

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What are the motivation of Dr Claw, Cobra Commander, nermal, Venom, gargamel. Mum ra, The Purpal Pie Man, murkey dismal, Mega Troon, Lex Luthor, the begal boys, skelator, the shredder,

God I am showing my age here. But growing up with 80's/90's villains I can see the change on how villians are shown and characterized.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You don't think ultimate power is a relatable goal? Someone isn't thinking big...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm honestly way more interested in seeing villains that just love being evil at this point.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kinda funny to see how parents complained about lord zedd being too evil and scary for power rangers, which i why they had to have him get married to rita and turn them into a comedic fred and ethel type couple. but it actually resulted in giving zedd SOME character development (he was initially tricked into falling in love, but as time went on, his feelings became genuine).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

kinda funny to see how parents complained about lord zedd being too evil and scary for power rangers, which i why they had to have him get married to rita and turn them into a comedic fred and ethel type couple. but it actually resulted in giving zedd SOME character development (he was initially tricked into falling in love, but as time went on, his feelings became genuine).

Also they had a Jewish wedding

Honestly it's an interesting idea for villains to be a married couple like that, reminds me of The Monarch and Dr Mrs The Monarch

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm honestly way more interested in seeing villains that just love being evil at this point.

Honestly, same. Redemption arcs are nice and all but sometimes you just want to see a real cackling evil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, same. Redemption arcs are nice and all but sometimes you just want to see a real cackling evil.

The real fun part is when you do both! She-Ra's villains are basically all about the cycle of abuse.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also they had a Jewish wedding

Honestly it's an interesting idea for villains to be a married couple like that, reminds me of The Monarch and Dr Mrs The Monarch

The story of Mortal Kombat 11 has many problems, but it's honestly so fun to watch Shao Kahn and Sindel be evil together.
"How many of his bones shall I break for you, wife?"
"Surprise me."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given Sindel's chracterisation is one of those problems, that's kinda impressive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While the retcon is controversial, seems to be some consensus that she's a lot more interesting as a villain than a victim.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While the retcon is controversial, seems to be some consensus that she's a lot more interesting as a villain than a victim.

Oh trust me, there is no such consensus outside of maybe the SA thread. Poke your head in the MK related tags on Tumblr and you will find hordes of disapproving fans, some of them fantasizing about the "real" Sindel making a glorious return and defeating this clearly false impostor.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe. To be honest I'm kinda here for Robocop vs Terminator, what, 3 at this point?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Talking about sympathetic villains is cool and all, but to bring this back to the character who started all this, I found Scarlemagne to be one of the nastier TV cartoon villains in a long while. He's got understandable motivations, but none of that translated to me as being sympathetic. I figured that much of the episode that told that explained his backstory was making that exact point.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Due to the way MK11's story works good Sindel and evil Sindel have equally valid readings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sindel is also extremely horny for humans

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I gave Dragon Prince a chance have hearing is was kinda okay. I appreciate the evil vizier guy is exasperated by his weirdo kids, but also needs to rely on them for his evil scheme.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, has there been any recent word in regards to season 4 yet (or how many seasons the show will be in general)?

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any recent word in regards to season 4 yet (or how many seasons the show will be in general)?

From what I read, there were plans for more seasons; but Aaron was revealed to be a massive creeper which may have caused a rift with him and Giancarlo (who left) which may have torpedoed the hopes. Nothing concrete but not looking good at hte moment.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't wanna be "I never liked person who turned out to be bad. :smug: " about it, but... i will be. Dragon Prince from preproduction always rubbed me wrong with so many folks going "This is the secret sauce guy from ATLA! Him not being around is why Korra was bad and Dragon Prince will be so good!" it just felt like people were desperate to have the next ATLA and overhyped themselves. Then the first season came in and oof. Second one at least looked nicer but it just didn't grab me at all, and during this third season I only heard like three or four folks on twitter being excited.

rip that videogame that was so totally gonna happen

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MorningMoon posted:

I don't wanna be "I never liked person who turned out to be bad. :smug: " about it, but... i will be. Dragon Prince from preproduction always rubbed me wrong with so many folks going "This is the secret sauce guy from ATLA! Him not being around is why Korra was bad and Dragon Prince will be so good!" it just felt like people were desperate to have the next ATLA and overhyped themselves. Then the first season came in and oof. Second one at least looked nicer but it just didn't grab me at all, and during this third season I only heard like three or four folks on twitter being excited.

rip that videogame that was so totally gonna happen

Nobody ever learns the lesson that large productions are collaborative efforts of many people and more than the sum of their parts, they just think they got the wrong guy. :v:

Did not know that about Aaron being a creeper though :(

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, even the thread on here barely got any traction by the time S3 rolled around.

Kind of a shame, too, since that was when I finally started feeling the “ATLA spark” that the first two seasons were missing for me. Though even then, it was kind of rushed at points (like the civilization of the French elves getting destroyed shortly after being introduced).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Also Mike and Brian should not have gotten any shade from Korra imo. Even at it's worst it's a sound premise with misguided execution (e.g. making Korra a master of elements in contrast with the previous protagonist having to learn everything is kinda interesting until it turned out to be wildly impractical). It wasn't an exposing failure like Samurai Jack season five (it still hurts.)

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 21, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

poo poo, even the first three episodes of SJS5 were drat near perfect. And it probably would have worked so much better if they’d leaned into Jack and Ashi becoming master and student, rather than... what we got.

I won’t defend anything about the prison episode, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mycot posted:

Also Mike and Brian should not have gotten any shade from Korra imo. Even at it's worst it's a sound premise with misguided execution (e.g. making Korra a master of elements in contrast with the previous protagonist having to learn everything is kinda interesting until it turned out to be wildly untenable). It wasn't an exposing failure like Samurai Jack season five (it still hurts.)

That still amazes me, the first three or so episodes of that season were amazing and then it somehow just went right down the toilet

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Korra's low point is just the fact that S2 completely sucks, like it's really bad. S1's good, S3's great, S4 is a mixed bag but not bad on balance. The real persistent issues are just:

- The comic relief falls way short of the ATLA stuff, it's usually just simple physical gags, and Bolin (who was a more grounded character in S1) gets horribly Flanderised in S2 and never really recovers.
- Bumi is the same deal and is like, 90% insufferable.
- Korra's character arc post-S1 is sort of a mess and is entirely about her dealing with self-doubt and self-hatred, and is usually about how she's incompetent and stupid, and it just feels like a weirdly disrespectful treatment of the show's protagonist. She very rarely gets to be the hero of her own story. Instead, all the heroism gets displaced onto Mako, who is consistently written as sensible, level-headed, and wise vs. Korra being crazy, irrational and stupid. It feels like the show has a real sexism problem for much of its run - like they couldn't imagine telling a story with a female lead that didn't have a sensible man guiding her from the sidelines.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Do not get me started on Korra.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait what happened to Samurai Jack? Never got around to watching the new season.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait what happened to Samurai Jack? Never got around to watching the new season.

Final season was a serialized one set fifty years after the original series. It was awesome in the first half, then... really flubbed hard because they added in a really awkward romance arc between Jack and a major character created for just that season.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The first half of the season is some of the best among television animation and every episode after that gets dumber and dumber until it's sub- the level of a mediocre episode of the original series, it's insane. Also the second half makes the awesome hook of the first half (Jack being a half-crazy samurai Jesus martial god) pointless because it resets Jack to being the exact same character he was in the original, just with a girlfriend (who, because of the time travel premise, is now 50 years younger than him).

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Android Blues posted:

Korra's low point is just the fact that S2 completely sucks, like it's really bad. S1's good, S3's great, S4 is a mixed bag but not bad on balance. The real persistent issues are just:

- The comic relief falls way short of the ATLA stuff, it's usually just simple physical gags, and Bolin (who was a more grounded character in S1) gets horribly Flanderised in S2 and never really recovers.
- Bumi is the same deal and is like, 90% insufferable.
- Korra's character arc post-S1 is sort of a mess and is entirely about her dealing with self-doubt and self-hatred, and is usually about how she's incompetent and stupid, and it just feels like a weirdly disrespectful treatment of the show's protagonist. She very rarely gets to be the hero of her own story. Instead, all the heroism gets displaced onto Mako, who is consistently written as sensible, level-headed, and wise vs. Korra being crazy, irrational and stupid. It feels like the show has a real sexism problem for much of its run - like they couldn't imagine telling a story with a female lead that didn't have a sensible man guiding her from the sidelines.
Not gonna lie, when Korra lost the ability to walk I immediately thought of a manga called Steel Ball Run and thought about writing about an alternate s4 that was just Korra: Steel Ball Run

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Korra, too broken to bend or use her legs, develops an experimental bending technique involving shooting her fingernails

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Arist posted:

Korra, too broken to bend or use her legs, develops an experimental bending technique involving shooting her fingernails

Didn't the Dai Li invent that technique?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm a lot more forgiving of S5 but I can't deny that the later episodes definitely took a turn and were not quite what the advertising promised. I wouldn't call it bad though, I think that's a gross overstatement that people make.

That said, the actual end, like the last part of the last episode, is some straight bullshit. If you've seen Gurren Lagann, get ready to see it again.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah I don't get why a lot of people some places instantly turned on season 5 when episode 4 came out; like in a retrospective look at the season that take kinda makes sense, but when watching I thought episode 4 was almost as solid as the first 3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

korra was fine. it's enjoyable and the characters are fun, i love the setting and music of it. i'm also fine with there not being another avatar series. at this point everyone production-wise is scattered to the wind, so there's not going to be a recapturing of the original magic of either show

the interesting stuff's all been happening at dreamworks now with shows like kipo, she-ra, tales of arcadia, etc. i wanna see what noelle stevenson does next

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The first three episodes of season 5 were incredible, the next two were still pretty good, and then every one after it was worse and worse. Exactly half of it is a very solid season of television, and the other half is a steep descent into garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

yeah I don't get why a lot of people some places instantly turned on season 5 when episode 4 came out; like in a retrospective look at the season that take kinda makes sense, but when watching I thought episode 4 was almost as solid as the first 3

Yeah, the next couple of episodes after the first three were still pretty good, all told, but those first three were on a whole ‘nother level; I seriously consider them the crowning glory of the entire series from a cinematographic standpoint.