Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

The issue isn't data overages it's the networks will likely fail because they don't have the capacity. The big banks don't have capacity for full WFH either :ssh:

Mine does, though we’ve been told to cut out any video streaming or conferencing if possible. Mostly we have activated DR sites and split people into different locations, so skills exist at primary, DR, and WFH.

I’m sure there will be issues, but most of my dept was already WFH on rotation, so the disruption for us is tiny.

Senior management is all in on stay home if you are sick, and all business related travel, gathering, conferences, etc are suspended until further notice.

So far, it’s been boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dear penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me...

https://cabinradio.ca/32148/news/economy/northwestel-asks-crtc-for-permission-to-waive-your-overage-fees/

quote:

Northwestel, the internet provider to most northern residents, says it has asked the federal regulator for permission to temporarily waive customers' overage fees.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yellowknife finally has internet on par with 1999 again, Christ it is a miracle.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Risky Bisquick posted:

The big banks don't have capacity for full WFH either :ssh:

I've heard that at least for one big bank, there are 'tiers' of employee requirements. T0 gets access whenever they want for bank resources. T1 employees get access from 6am to 8 (9?)am and 4-5pm. Hope you only need that much time to answer your emails, I guess?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dad's at CIBC, non-essential employees & consultants can only log in between 5pm and 9:30am. He's been going to bed at 10am.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
BMO is doing the same

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just got an email from TekSavvy. TL;DR:
- overage fees are waived because plague season, but
- they're reversing the price cut they did a while ago because the expected reductions to wholesale pricing never materialized due to endless stalling at the CRTC by Rogers et al

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I am WFH full time they somehow fixed the concurrency to handle the load, not a bank.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just did a speedtest on my telus fiber 750 and at 8:50PM on a Friday night, it's handling load just fine

I fully expect another price increase as soon as this poo poo is done.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

slidebite posted:

I just did a speedtest on my telus fiber 750 and at 8:50PM on a Friday night, it's handling load just fine

These speedtests tend to be 'rigged' in that the server you hit by default is inside the ISP. Selecting one outside the ISP and the results will be much less consistent.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

EoRaptor posted:

These speedtests tend to be 'rigged' in that the server you hit by default is inside the ISP. Selecting one outside the ISP and the results will be much less consistent.

As long as a significant amount of your bandwidth is coming from CDNs inside the ISP network it’s probably reasonably accurate. Would be interesting to have a wider set of tests that goes to multiple sites/clouds.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also even if the test is from inside the ISP's net, it's a good check on what speed you are getting last mile to your actual computer. But yeah maybe not the best for identifying network congestion if you're hitting an internal server

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's not Internet but tangentially related, with everyone suddenly working from home we're getting slammed with people getting 'all circuits are busy' when trying to use cell phones. Webex also crapping out due to overcapacity.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

What does the DSLReports one say?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

less than three posted:

It's not Internet but tangentially related, with everyone suddenly working from home we're getting slammed with people getting 'all circuits are busy' when trying to use cell phones. Webex also crapping out due to overcapacity.

I’ve had this issue too. I can usually get through after a few minutes, but around the top of the hour I guess there are so many calls being established the system can’t keep up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

.dp

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EoRaptor posted:

Fair point - it actually defaults me to a Bell test server and I overrode it to the Telus Mobility one.

Chris Knight posted:

What does the DSLReports one say?

The upload portion kept giving me an error when it got ~760 so I tried "cable" instead of "gigabit/fibre" and it ran OK. Gave me a little slower on the download vs giga, but meh, close enough.

e: For some reason results weren't attaching :/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Telus is now offering 1.5GB fiber in my area :aaa:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What kind of marketing ploy is that? 1.5gb???? Who’s itchin for that extra 500Mb/s to their local CDN services. Gotta watch Netflix faster and I just installed a 10g card in my pc dang it!

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 14, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
Bell's done 1.5g/1g for a couple years. There's a handful of gear that can sync with the ONT at 2.5G, or you have to use their Sagem CPE which still only has gigabit ethernet.

I think the premise is if you have a household full of stuff doing streaming/games/whatever, you can actually get something approaching those speeds using wifi and wired combined

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its 1.5 gigs per month you dummies.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Man even dial up only took 60ish hours at peak speed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

Holy crap io.org is back baby!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hah - I wouldn't put that past them for marketing

Here are their current offerings for my area. My Cat5e is close to max capability the existing 750/750.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man the shaw is 110 for 1Gbit down and 25Mbit up in my area, sucks.

I think telus tops out at 75Mbit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The prices shown are actually on the high side. With my retention plan, I am getting 750/750 with unlimited @ $60/month for 2 years.

December 2021, when my contract expires, rinse, repeat.

Maybe I'll rewire my house with CAT7 by then :buddy:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Start fiber has been two blocks away for literally a year now.

I'm just kind of hoping they route it across the road whenever it gets to the fancy high-rise across the street from me. That'd be nice.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

infernal machines posted:

I think the premise is if you have a household full of stuff doing streaming/games/whatever, you can actually get something approaching those speeds using wifi and wired combined

yeah, no. No customer is even getting close to using 1gb/s even with streaming, games, downloads, whatever. Fiber is massively oversubscribed because your average usage is still 4~Mb/s.

Assume 10 Netflix streams, 10 twitch streams, 10 prime streams, 10 disney+ streams in 4k, you're still using 400Mb/s roughly. Nobody really needs anything over a couple hundred meg right now. It's just a good e-peen measurement.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
It’s nice to have the capacity for downloading stuff though. Some game patches can be huge, and being able to download it in a minute or two is nice.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Frank Dillinger posted:

It’s nice to have the capacity for downloading stuff though. Some game patches can be huge, and being able to download it in a minute or two is nice.

Sure, $160 a month nice? I’m not so sure. I’m on a paltry 200mb connection despite having access to 1.5gb and I don’t notice or care about download speeds or game downloads, two minutes or five. Not worth the extra money.

I’d like to see more work being put into routing and latency, our peering to the rest of North America stinks. Speeds going higher are basically useless at this point. Until there’s services that actually make use of all the bandwidth, a family can survive fine on 100Mb.

When services actually start using that kind of speed [>200Mb/s nightly] you’ll start seeing the oversubscription of gpon showing. Probably will be many years before that happens though. Not enough people with lots of bandwidth to make a service valuable.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 15, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Frank Dillinger posted:

No one has the capacity to download a Call of Duty patch... :suicide:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Facetious posted:

No one has the capacity to download a Call of Duty patch... :suicide:

It'd be funny to chart the size of CoD patches over time vs average broadband speeds and then a calculated line of time to download and see that line drift upwards regardless :haw:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
The caches just don’t have capacity lol. Plus in home wifi is still pretty poor depending how good your router is, plus the current generation of consoles, ps4, xbone, and switch have terrible wireless chips so hope you have that poo poo wired in.

That’s why it always makes me laugh these people trying to get 1.5gb. You’ll never reach that except to your speedtest server 5km down the road, but hey number bigger == better.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

slidebite posted:

Hah - I wouldn't put that past them for marketing

Here are their current offerings for my area. My Cat5e is close to max capability the existing 750/750.

This looks pretty good. That $35 plan is way better than what I get with Shaw for $85. I've been with Shaw for a while, let's see what plans Telus has for my address.

:smith:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
$35 plan above is the steal here.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

750/750 seems like the best value tbh (lol if you ever pay full shot)

I know my consumption definitely expanded to meet my ability when I had gigabit - streaming was nicer, torrents were seeded to gently caress, 4gb poorly cached docker images didn't take three million years to bring down, etc

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Can anyone on Lightspeed tell me what fibre flex is?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Marketing fluff. It means nothing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bell MTS is saying they have fiber to my neighbourhood when they've redefined it as "fiber to the node" with a max speed of 100 mbit :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mewse posted:

Bell MTS is saying they have fiber to my neighbourhood when they've redefined it as "fiber to the node" with a max speed of 100 mbit :ughh:

regular bells been pulling that poo poo forever.