Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

CactusWeasle posted:

This. Even with the aeroscreen I'm still nervous watching races at Texas.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Was it the best race? Nah.

Was it infinitely better than no racing on one hand, and drivers in the hospital on the other?

Hell yeah.

Cygni posted:

Race wasn't great but tbh thats probably what Texas races should look like if we are gonna keep running there. Running side by side at these speeds is an invitation for disaster.

perhaps we should ask our selves why we are still watching when the definition of a "good race" is no one being maimed/killed

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cause I like the vroomvrooms

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

watching the end of the race and just noticed that Penske teams are having one pit crew member dress in a different colored fire suit -- the right-front tire man. JoNew's pit crew was in black and his right-front guy was in white, for Pagenaud his right-front guy was in a red suit.

Doesn't happen without a reason, so wondering if Perfect Penske has found another little life-hack for pit stops.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Why is the next race a month away? Super odd.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It was originally a three week stretch from Texas to Richmond anyway. With the cancellation of that and bumping the Indy GP to July 4th, it's a slightly longer stretch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

watching the end of the race and just noticed that Penske teams are having one pit crew member dress in a different colored fire suit -- the right-front tire man. JoNew's pit crew was in black and his right-front guy was in white, for Pagenaud his right-front guy was in a red suit.

Doesn't happen without a reason, so wondering if Perfect Penske has found another little life-hack for pit stops.

That's the crew chief, I believe. I think the other teams do something similar?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Zanardi's new gig looks p sweet:

https://twitter.com/CBS4Mark/status/1272378355145457670

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I went and saw this today

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
96i correct?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Such a good looking car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
An Interesting thing that I heard was that the Lola T96/00 was actually the better chassis - however the only team running the superior Honda/Firestone combo with the Lola was Tasman who were a relatively small operation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

96i correct?

Yep. At Honda’s museum at Twin Ring.

[edit] vvvvvv no on-board starter :v:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 16, 2020

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

harperdc posted:

I went and saw this today

Why did you not try to steal it and drive it out of the museum ala Driven

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'd love to see Toyota come back if only for races at Fuji.

I guess Suzuka could happen now since nobody in F1 cares about Bernie anymore.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I'd love to see Toyota come back if only for races at Fuji.

I guess Suzuka could happen now since nobody in F1 cares about Bernie anymore.

Suzuka would be the better circuit, but I think the current cars would be racy at the Motegi road course. And the oval is still standing, just would need a little work. The facility is pretty nice all told, just a little ways from Tokyo -- both it and Fuji are cases where you take the highway out and then have to follow two-lane roads for a long while, with Fuji being a bit more populated and a little bit closer to the highway.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I must be one of only a few people who enjoyed the twin ring.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Yep. At Honda’s museum at Twin Ring.

[edit] vvvvvv no on-board starter :v:

But if it's in Honda's collection, they keep everything needed to run the car. So somewhere in that museum is the starter, along with some vintage laptops.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

I must be one of only a few people who enjoyed the twin ring.

the oval was alright, and I don't hate the road course as much as others (although it's way way better for motorcycles than cars)

I loving despise Fuji, though

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

But if it's in Honda's collection, they keep everything needed to run the car. So somewhere in that museum is the starter, along with some vintage laptops.

That’s just a Grand Theft Auto mission waiting to happen.

Twin Ring and Fuji both have a lot more elevation change than you’d think, and Motegi road course looks like it’s easier to get access around the circuit. Some of the banks around the downhill back straight at Motegi give you a view of almost the entire road course. Might not be the most exciting layout for cars, but I’m much more curious about seeing a race there now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Fuji would be a great circuit if it wasn’t for that lovely final section.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’d like them to go to Sugo which is massively underrated.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I’d like them to go to Sugo which is massively underrated.

It’s like the dreams of international series going to Road America.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fuji and motegi are the two worst road courses on the planet

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Sugo is terrific fun

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I could see the motegi road course being awesome for bikes but for cars it's all just second gear hairpins and it's boring af

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Sochi is worse.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Isnt Sochi a street circuit

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Basticle posted:

Car park circuit.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Basticle posted:

Sochi doesn't count

at all

ever

anywhere

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The Croc posted:

Car park circuit.

Long Beach is technically a parking lot circuit. :colbert:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1274025365531504648

:ohdear:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Homestead
Kansas
Phoenix
COTA
Indy

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
COTA is by no stretch of the imagination a bad circuit. It’s better than Motegi and modern Fuji.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd ask "F1, roval, or Champ Car" but the first two no longer exist and the third never happened, thankfully.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iwentdoodie posted:

Homestead
Kansas
Phoenix
COTA
Indy

i mean rovals have constraints to them, and much like street tracks, i place them in a different category altogether than road courses. also i don't think the homestead roval is that bad, and i love kansas because of how blatantly obvious it is that the track designer gave less than zero fucks about a roval layout for it.

and i hate cota and all but it doesn't belong anywhere in a conversation of worst tracks in the world. it's real bad but i can name a dozen worse road tracks just off the top of my head.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
COTA is just as bad as like a dozen other tracks built in the last twenty years which itself is a travesty

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

COTA is just as bad as like a dozen other tracks built in the last twenty years which itself is a travesty

yeah that's why i can't necessarily count it as one of the worst. it's bad but not uniquely bad. if we wanted to go that route regarding modern gp tracks, yas marina is the indisputable worst of those. buddh is also real terrible.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I kinda dug Buddh, but yeah Yas Marina is indisputably the worst. Like you have a blank check to build a giant motorsports palace and that is what you come up with? :cmon:

That Valencia street course was also terrible. Sepang and Istanbul were the best of the tracks that popped up over the last 20 years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Compared with some of the tracks that have popped up in the US in recent times -- Miller in Utah, VIR (re-opening) and Barber -- some of the international ones also have the stress of being The Major International Circuit For This Country which means they're designing for the whims of Formula 1 and/or MotoGP. Barber and Miller don't have to worry about that, which is nice. Still doesn't excuse things like Yas Marina, especially when

also part of why I was impressed with Motegi was as a spectator, it looks pretty easy to get around. Fuji is similar -- you can walk to almost every corner pretty easily, and there's plenty of hills and interesting places to walk from. Motegi has the bonus that some of the hills would give you a sightline to almost the entire circuit. This is separate from the in-car experience (but even then, I've grown to enjoy Fuji in GT Sport, last section and all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hunnert car pileup posted:

I kinda dug Buddh, but yeah Yas Marina is indisputably the worst. Like you have a blank check to build a giant motorsports palace and that is what you come up with? :cmon:

the thing that really seals the deal for yas marina is how they gave so little of a poo poo when designing it that they forgot about where they were putting a parking lot when making the track layout, so when it came time to build it they just put a kink on the main straightaway to accommodate it

they just gave. no. fucks.