Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

two_beer_bishes posted:

No poo poo! The bonanza I used to fly developed a hairline crack from the aftermarket exhaust and was piping CO right into the cabin. Thankfully I had my own (cheapo hardware store digital CO detector) that started blaring at me on takeoff. My jackass boss asked me "well what does the dot show?" I told him my digital detector was literally reading off the charts and he simply said "how do we know it's accurate". gently caress that

“I am commandeering this bonanza.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

“I am commandeering this bonanza.”

The GA guys down the line had a weird one the other day. Dude in an old Grumman comes in for an annual. A week later, they hand him the list of discrepancies, one of which is a cracked prop. He said he'd like to pay for the annual and discuss the discrepancies. He paid for the annual, and while the shop manager was coming back from lunch, the guy took his plane and left. Flew off. With a cracked prop.

Like, the logbook entry said "annual completed, aircraft is not airworthy due to following discrepancies...." and guy just flew away. The shop manager said he called the guy who said "yeah, I can't afford a prop, and the FAA can't afford to come and ground the plane. Thanks though." :stonk:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The GA guys down the line had a weird one the other day. Dude in an old Grumman comes in for an annual. A week later, they hand him the list of discrepancies, one of which is a cracked prop. He said he'd like to pay for the annual and discuss the discrepancies. He paid for the annual, and while the shop manager was coming back from lunch, the guy took his plane and left. Flew off. With a cracked prop.

Like, the logbook entry said "annual completed, aircraft is not airworthy due to following discrepancies...." and guy just flew away. The shop manager said he called the guy who said "yeah, I can't afford a prop, and the FAA can't afford to come and ground the plane. Thanks though." :stonk:

GA is amazing

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

e.pilot posted:

GA is amazing

This guy embodies marine corps aviation maintenance.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

We had someone who died doing this. Brought it in after years of it sitting on the ramp, got just into the annual and the tech realized the parts alone were going to be thousands so the owner was called to pay some up front before ordering them and continuing the inspection. He says to put it back together for now and he’ll do it another time.

Came out after close and crashed right into the tree line. I’m talking hosed cylinders, structural rot, rusted fuel lines, all of it communicated to him by the shop manager.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I hadn't considered the intersection of stubborn old boomers and refusing to pay for needed aircraft fixes. What a pickle that one is, I don't see any possible good solution.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Pryor on Fire posted:

I hadn't considered the intersection of stubborn old boomers and refusing to pay for needed aircraft fixes. What a pickle that one is, I don't see any possible good solution.

The problem does tend to solve itself after awhile but I wouldn’t describe the end result as good

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well sure, but aviation is inherently dangerous to other people. Not that a boomer would ever acknowledge that fact, because other humans don't exist in their brains.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I should have known that there would be an aviation thread here..
Got my PPL 20 years ago in the UK. Flew a bunch. Got broke. Stopped flying.
I now live in Canada and just sat my PSTAR and radio license today and have now fullfilled all the requirements to apply for a Canadian PPL. (including currency).

To add to that, I start on my CPL(H) next month :toot:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Someone at our airport had a runway excursion on landing today. Sounded like a solo student. She’s alright, I believe, but she sounded so shook up on the radio just after it happened.

As a result though, me and my student had to land on the crosswind runway with 12G18, and my student pretty much nailed it, so that’s good!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I should have known that there would be an aviation thread here..
Got my PPL 20 years ago in the UK. Flew a bunch. Got broke. Stopped flying.
I now live in Canada and just sat my PSTAR and radio license today and have now fullfilled all the requirements to apply for a Canadian PPL. (including currency).

To add to that, I start on my CPL(H) next month :toot:

:toot:
Put what you have herein the OP format and I'll add you to the list.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

PPL ASEL, Rotary student.

Here in Canada, the CPL(H) can be done as a straight 100 hour course. Supposedly the reasoning behind this is that instructors need min 250 hours to actually instruct, so most go out working first, before they come back to instructing and hence, supposedly, have a lot more experience.
This also means that many of them still have industry contacts and often help you getting in touch with places. The downside is that finding your first job is hard and you usually end up as ground crew for 1-2 years before actually getting a (full time) flying job.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AWSEFT posted:

:toot:
Put what you have herein the OP format and I'll add you to the list.

While you're at it, I guess I didn't make mine official: KRDU - ASEL PP

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Landed in DFW somehow for the first time today. It’s amazing that you can taxi to the ramp without stopping and it still takes 15+ minutes.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

Landed in DFW somehow for the first time today. It’s amazing that you can taxi to the ramp without stopping and it still takes 15+ minutes.

With 18R being closed and 17C being a left turn off only the average taxi time at DFW is probably twice what it normally is. It's still not as bad as landing 10R in ORD though. You literally talk to 5 controllers from touchdown to the gate and that's without talking to company or ramp.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have never once gone to ORD when there wasn’t snow on the ground partially blocking signs. The worst thing ever.

Speaking of DFW, I’m here overnight and haven’t seen a single mask and everyone’s out and about. Texas is going to be so screwed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I have never once gone to ORD when there wasn’t snow on the ground partially blocking signs. The worst thing ever.

Speaking of DFW, I’m here overnight and haven’t seen a single mask and everyone’s out and about. Texas is going to be so screwed.

They're having record numbers the past few days.

Also I found out last time I was at O'Hare the a/c is not that strong. It was super humid, inside.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Charles posted:

They're having record numbers the past few days.

Also I found out last time I was at O'Hare the a/c is not that strong. It was super humid, inside.

Memphis was that way, too.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

While you're at it, I guess I didn't make mine official: KRDU - ASEL PP

You didn't like what I had for you before? =P

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

TAF + general forecast had winds above student solo limits today, so I cancelled my reservation.

METAR wind calm :gerty:

Issar
Feb 25, 2010
Probably better than awesome TAF, and METAR with BKN008 1 1/2 SM VIS because your aerodrome has somehow acquired a pet isolated raincloud for a few hours :argh:

(Obligatory not-a-pilot but am a flight dispatcher in Canada, although we also do work for part 121 ops in the US.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As our chief pilot likes to say, "it's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying than the other way around."

I had to cancel last week due to crosswinds 1 knot faster than my endorsement and yeah let me tell you it was really fuckin frustrating (especially since our tower is, to quote no specific person, "a bunch of idiots" and they randomly switch between magnetic and true wind direction on both the ATIS and METAR so you never know the wind angle to better than +/- (mag var) degrees and that really would make a difference when your component is 1 knot over) but I just try to remember the above.

going again tomorrow though, TAF says 8 knots straight down the runway so :toot: i hope

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Anybody here know anything about 'Ohana by Empire out in HNL?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Oooh, gonna fly an IFR XC tomorrow. I was hoping to do my last dual VFR XC before my solo one, but the weather is poo poo all week. Talked to my instructor and he's okay if we go IFR in the high performance 172 :getin: Just happy to go flying really, but extra hell yeah to getting some instrument and HP time.

edit: NM all the IFR capable planes are borked :cry:

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 16, 2020

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

high performance 172

Since when are high performance 172's a thing? I did all my training in 180HP 172's out of an airport at 5000' elevation and the extra 20 HP would have been really nice.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Since when are high performance 172's a thing? I did all my training in 180HP 172's out of an airport at 5000' elevation and the extra 20 HP would have been really nice.

It's a 172xp

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Or a T-41

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey look what's still around in the 23rd century

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

hey look what's still around in the 23rd century

Checks out, you just have to keep track of the magnitude of the numbers and it will work fine!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

If the Enterprise burns 17 gallons of antimatter in 2hrs 35mins how much antimatter are they burning per hour?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I’ve got The Kobayashi Maru test coming up next week. Does Sheppard Air have a prep guide?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

calculate the correction required for a desired course of 231°, a true spacespeed of warp 4, and a solar wind from 088° at 1.2 million knots

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Cessna posted:

If the Enterprise burns 17 gallons of antimatter in 2hrs 35mins how much antimatter are they burning per hour?

If the Space shuttle Enterprise comes out of re-entry 129 miles off course what heading and descent rate should they fly to land in the Los Angeles River?

Source: The Core an amazingly terrible movie.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

calculate the correction required for a desired course of 231°, a true spacespeed of warp 4, and a solar wind from 088° at 1.2 million knots

And then pick the answer you rote memorized because the UFP test is wrong.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They picked a hell of a time to stick me in Louisville for a few days.

:piss:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can somebody tell me which Runway is the front course and which is the back course here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are the black ovoid shapes the marker beacons? If so, 27 would be the front course, right?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Can somebody tell me which Runway is the front course and which is the back course here?

That's a tough one. I don't think I've ever seen a BC with a OM/MM but I'm fairly sure that charts are supposed to depict front courses with the right side of the arrow being shaded. Normally I'd look for contextual clues like the name of the approach but since this looks like something from an FAA question bank it's probably better to just memorize the answer.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The markers throw it off but the shading is usually on the right for front and left for back when on final.

9 front 27 back.

Edit: hey so at least someone else is wrong if I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just FYI I pulled this figure out of the FAA Instrument Written Test Figures (F).