Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I really like how the book is set up the resemble Paul's prescience. You have the passages between chapters that "give away" the fates of various characters and even the biographies give away death years and details about parentage etc. But like Paul you only see endpoints where the paths to the endpoints remain murky.

I'm sure this is baby's first dune thoughts but if anyone knows of any essays about this sort of thing Iemme know

dunc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ingmar terdman posted:

I really like how the book is set up the resemble Paul's prescience. You have the passages between chapters that "give away" the fates of various characters and even the biographies give away death years and details about parentage etc. But like Paul you only see endpoints where the paths to the endpoints remain murky.

I'm sure this is baby's first dune thoughts but if anyone knows of any essays about this sort of thing Iemme know

dunc

The pre-chapter texts are some of my favorite parts of the book, and I hope they find some way to incorporate them into the movie.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

C-Euro posted:

The pre-chapter texts are some of my favorite parts of the book, and I hope they find some way to incorporate them into the movie.

*monkey paw curles*

Some studio exec: "Know that this movie needs? Some voiceover narration to explain to the audience what is happening. You know, like in Blade Runner!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

Ingmar terdman posted:

I like how you never really get to know Emperor Shaddam, while Paul and Irulan have opposite assessments of him, both probably valid.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Taglines on all the character posters.

Edit: Freezeframe anime intros.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 12, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Class Warcraft posted:

*monkey paw curles*

Some studio exec: "Know that this movie needs? Some voiceover narration to explain to the audience what is happening. You know, like in Blade Runner!"

Or Dark City

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

exmarx posted:

not many people know about seagal's music career :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4-zYghodc

lol "Me want the poonani"

who did he have in his life that he didn't realize how insane this was?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I like how you never really get to know Emperor Shaddam, while Paul and Irulan have opposite assessments of him, both probably valid.

Not really related but this made me think about how much I liked Farad'n's little arc, from youth who'd rather be reading, to just about getting a feel for politics and power, before falling instantly under the sway of Jessica. It pairs nicely with the later books and Miles and/or Duncan talking about how once you're in the BG's orbit there's no way out.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

C-Euro posted:

No. This is not a good idea and it would be incorporated poorly.

I'm sure we'll get to see it in @duneauthor's Showtime bullshit or whatever.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sci fi movie Irulan's butterfly dress feels very jodo/moebius

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edit: Freezeframe anime intros.
[Paul is mid-fight with someone, and a blade stabs at his throat when FREEZE-FRAME! RECORD SCRATCH!]

"You're probably wondering who I am and how I got here..."

[Montage of character names superimposed Michael Bay-style on stylised freeze-frames. Whoomp, PAUL! Whoomp, LETO! Whoomp, DUNCAN! Whoomp, GURNEY!]]

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Is it known whether Part 2 is (a) already greenlit and (b) they've already basically filmed both at once?

I dread a situation like Bakhski's LOTR where they build part one around anticipating a sequel and just never getting the chance. But if principal was for the enchilada that probably helps the odds.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't believe either is the case, unfortunately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Payndz posted:

[Montage of character names superimposed Michael Bay-style on stylised freeze-frames. Whoomp, PAUL! Whoomp, LETO! Whoomp, DUNCAN! Whoomp, GURNEY!]]

Chaney's first shot is in a stillsuit that for some reason is midriff-baring and she is for some reason draped languidly over a rock.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Paul rips Feyd's face off.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Michael Bay's Dune: a stuntperson is killed during the filming of one scene, so footage of Shockwave's giant worm is awkwardly cut into the movie (with ornithopters CGI'd in to cover any Transformers) as a replacement for the missing shot.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

We almost had a Bay Dune in the form of Berg Dune.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Paul has an awkward conversation with Leto and Jessica where they think he's masturbating.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

Paul has an awkward conversation with Leto and Jessica where they think he's masturbating.

Also they get high on a spice brownie.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Payndz posted:

They could take inspiration from that bit in Suicide Squad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

We almost had a Bay Dune in the form of Berg Dune.

Even better, after Berg dropped out, he was initially replaced with Pierre Morel. Just try to imagine a version of Dune directed by the guy who did Taken. I think Morel's script was done by the guy who did the unfilmed Gambit movie, too.

Some of the concept art for Berg's Dune are online: https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jock

I feel like young Paul was based on young Leonidas from 300.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
LOL he has a battle scar at age 12 and the only difference at 17 is that his body grew to fit his head

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Just try to imagine a version of Dune directed by the guy who did Taken.

Cut within cut!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

Just try to imagine a version of Dune directed by the guy who did Taken.

Listen, I have a certain variety of space....

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's just Gurney snapping Sardakar necks.

I'd probably watch that still.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Blasted through the first book and Messiah just came in the mail today

I forgot how completely horrific the last chapter is - the upper echelon of commerce, politics, and religion all helplessly screaming "what the gently caress have we/they done"

It's way more like the last scene of Rosemary's Baby than the Star Wars medal ceremony. Can't imagine they end a major two-film story on such a grim note but it'd be cool if they did

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess in order for it to work they’re going to have to flash forward or somehow creatively point to the jihad, which in the book is all occurring within Paul’s head. I guess he could just outright tell Chani that he’s started something horrible. There’s probably more dramatic ways to explicate the consequences of his actions.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Are they incorporating Messiah into the adaptation? I'd just assumed they were splitting the first book in half.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s always sounded like they’re sticking to the first book between the two movies. But they also said recently that the first movie will stand in its own merits if a sequel never happens, so I think we should expect them to be taking some liberties with the overall story, because simply filming the first half of the book wouldn’t really make for a satisfying conclusion if the worst comes to pass and we only get 1 movie

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Can't wait for a Matrix-esque ending where Paul calls the Emperor on a space phone and gives a monologue where he says the Fremen will be coming for them someday and then mic drops and rides a worm into the sunset while Rage Against the Machine plays.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The consensus from what I've seen is that the movie will either end at about the halfway point of Dune, after Paul has killed Jamis and become accepted by the Fremen, or at the end of Book 2, after Jessica has become a reverend mother and Paul shares his vision of jihad with Chani.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Makes sense, but book 3 is pretty short and the climactic battle basically happens offstage, so I hope they don't get too "Peter Jackson Presents: JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies: A Middle-Earth Story" with it

e: a sandworm just roared in the sci fi movie, is that a thing? I can't remember the book saying anything about them vocalizing

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 16, 2020

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Ingmar terdman posted:

I forgot how completely horrific the last chapter is - the upper echelon of commerce, politics, and religion all helplessly screaming "what the gently caress have we/they done"

It's way more like the last scene of Rosemary's Baby than the Star Wars medal ceremony. Can't imagine they end a major two-film story on such a grim note but it'd be cool if they did

Its unsettling at in the end of Dune everyone in House Atreides compares Paul to his grandfather, not to Leto. You get the idea Paul's grandfather was not a good dude. Plus the double comparison with Paul's OTHER grandfather...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
My only impression of the Old Duke was that he was stupid for getting killed by a bull.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Jewmanji posted:

I guess in order for it to work they’re going to have to flash forward or somehow creatively point to the jihad, which in the book is all occurring within Paul’s head. I guess he could just outright tell Chani that he’s started something horrible. There’s probably more dramatic ways to explicate the consequences of his actions.

Just have the Fremen be extremely brutal to everyone, even innocent bystanders, in the third act.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

Just have the Fremen be extremely brutal to everyone, even innocent bystanders, in the third act.

How would that translate to a galaxy wide holocaust?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ingmar terdman posted:

e: a sandworm just roared in the sci fi movie, is that a thing? I can't remember the book saying anything about them vocalizing

Doesn't happen in the books, and in God Emperor Leto states that the ones that come after him will actually have a kind of animal intelligence (viz: the ones before him don't even have that).

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Movies going to end on the drug orgy and they can make part 2 as an animation

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doesn't happen in the books, and in God Emperor Leto states that the ones that come after him will actually have a kind of animal intelligence (viz: the ones before him don't even have that).

He says the new worms will have more ganglia and "awareness" and also talks about how they'll contain a "pearl" of his consciousness, which seems borne out by Sheeana's relation with them in Heretics, so I think it's meant to be something more than animal intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

edit: wrong thread