Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Kanye does have some weird interactions with activists in Chicago, so he's not completely cut off from real left wing thought. It's a sort of tense relationship tough, that can go from friendly to hostile real quick.

Kanye showed up to a George Floyd protest in Chicago for example, but ended up leaving because the press swarmed him and took attention away from the actual political message.
https://twitter.com/24Updatez/status/1270428829740392449?s=20

liberals are literally less self-aware and more interested in making this about themselves than Kanye West

glad to like that guy for once though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

every kid who went to school in Miami is taught that Cuba was a utopian beacon of liberty before the revolution

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ElNarez posted:

okay but why release two albums that suck poo poo

yea im glad that hes spared us from his shtick at this time but taht doesnt really explain all the poo poo hes been doing for the last few years very well. when he first started wearing the hat a few years ago lots of rappers like TI said that they tried to talk him out of it and he just didnt actually know anything about current politics, he just thought that trump and candace owens were cool. also the crucial information about him is someone saying it on something called 'the red pill podcast'. kanye is a land of contrasts

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
frankly I've felt for a while now that Kanye hatred is extremely overblown. everybody brings up him being a dick to taylor swift in 2009, which... lol. he mildly embarrassed a world famous pop star at a fuckin awards show.

obviously all the poo poo with trump is wack but the Kanye hate started way before then. I've always thought it's a strange remnant of anti-rap sentiment in the early 2000s; remember people who listened to "everything except rap and country?" it's a quaint notion now that every top 40 song is either Atlanta trap or whatever you call drake's music

i dunno, it's hard to get too worked up about a rich, out of touch, mentally ill guy having confused political opinions when Chris brown made it to #5 on the charts last year

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Kanye gets pointed out by some people because there's other people who hold him up as some sort of genius. Overblown by both sides in my opinion. I think some of his music is great, but that's as far as I go, I'd rather not know any more about his life.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
interrupting that award show was one of the all time great Kanye moments

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kanye basically plays the heel to everyone

The world makes a lot more sense considering we're in one big pro wrestling storyline

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

starkebn posted:

Kanye gets pointed out by some people because there's other people who hold him up as some sort of genius. Overblown by both sides in my opinion. I think some of his music is great, but that's as far as I go, I'd rather not know any more about his life.

I definitely think this has a lot to do with it. More importantly, Kanye likes to call himself a genius and god of music when he’s manic and, seeing as how people can’t even let that poo poo slide when their bipolar family members are doing it, you know they’re not gonna stop to understand the delicate situation a ten figure stranger is operating within.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i will however grant that his last two albums were terrible

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

I stopped listening to his full albums around Graduation and even then, when friends declaimed their belief that he is one of the greatest studio musicians living today, I just took their word for it because his music sounded fine, but not revelatory in any way. 13 years on and he just kinda comes off as a billionaire dickhead with an unmanaged medical condition.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

he did produce daytona tho

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

mysterious frankie posted:

I stopped listening to his full albums around Graduation and even then, when friends declaimed their belief that he is one of the greatest studio musicians living today, I just took their word for it because his music sounded fine, but not revelatory in any way. 13 years on and he just kinda comes off as a billionaire dickhead with an unmanaged medical condition.

So JayZ without a handler?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

watched the tarkovsky solaris for movie night on a scifi discord. i liked the book and i liked stalker but i don't think solaris holds together as well as stalker does- it's much closer to the book than stalker is to roadside picnic, and while thats not a bad thing since the book is fantastic it means that it suffers more on a direct comparison; and maybe im just a philistine but tarkovsky's glacial editing seems like it works a lot better for stalker's bizzare suspense than solaris' existential horror

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just watched Ad Astra and man that is really not a good movie.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

I just watched Ad Astra and man that is really not a good movie.

There was so much wasted potential with moon pirates, killer space baboons, and fuckin' rocket hijackings.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

There was so much wasted potential with moon pirates, killer space baboons, and fuckin' rocket hijackings.

Yeah it was like they kept hinting at interesting things happening around the edges of the movie but then instead give you two hours of Brad Pitt doing his best not to show any emotion whatsoever.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I went to see Ad Astra for the production and set design, and I was sort of satisfied with that.

Everything else was trash. Ruth Negga was criminally underused.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What is Ruth Negga actually good in

I’ve seen Preacher, Loving, and Misfits and she doesn’t really pop off in any of it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

What is Ruth Negga actually good in

I’ve seen Preacher, Loving, and Misfits and she doesn’t really pop off in any of it

Warcraft

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ad astra needed to be 50% weirder or 200% dumber

i wonder if you have to wear a mask at space applebees

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress I forgot about malls on the moon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it was like they kept hinting at interesting things happening around the edges of the movie but then instead give you two hours of Brad Pitt doing his best not to show any emotion whatsoever.

What is it with sci-fi movies convinced you have to have the most boring possible white male lead

even Guardians of the Galaxy realised you can just make Han Solo with issues the white male lead and it suddenly becomes fun

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

I went to see Ad Astra for the production and set design, and I was sort of satisfied with that.

Everything else was trash. Ruth Negga was criminally underused.

It's like they created an interesting world where it seemed like cool stories would be happening all the time, then used it to tell the most boring story imaginable.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i quite liked ad astra but it suffered from a case of not really knowing what it wanted to be. it has this melancholy story of a man dealing with his daddy issues while traversing the solar system, but its punctuated by these moments of action, terror and high violence that don't quite fit with the slow and blue tone of the overarching story. the ending is worth the rest of the journey imo, but the movie wanted to be two things at once and never succeeds at fully being either of them. feels like studio notes to me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

quote:

On election day, Cam's victory appears certain until Marty exposes the Motch brothers' intent and promises to preserve Hammond if elected. Cam still wins and remains congressman due to rigged voting machines owned by the Motch brothers. While Cam gloats, Marty shows his large scars to Cam and reveals that he looked up to Cam in school for getting rid of the dangerous slide. Realizing he has strayed from his true objectives as a politician, Cam withdraws from the election and Marty wins by default. Cam earns back Mitch's respect, and Marty later appoints him his chief of staff.

Six months later, Marty and Cam expose the Motch brothers, who are called to appear before Congress. The brothers point out that everything they did is legal under Citizens United v. FEC, but they are arrested for their association with Wattley, who is actually an international fugitive.

Hollywood political comedy is so hilariously out of touch with reality.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

dado is the latest buisniess entity to back the protests.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-5740

He seems to be far more sincere about it then many. :kheldragar:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Russian_Starr/status/1273979663120052224/photo/1

wow the soviets just remaking birth of a nation here with this horrifying scene where they underrate how racist the south is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
starr is a huge fan of Ukrainian fascists

he’s a fascist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/philthatremains/status/1274272303421980672?s=19
https://twitter.com/philthatremains/status/1274327320124325888?s=19

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

metalcore was always the worst genre of music

totally anti-dialectical

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://twitter.com/MixsterM/status/1274343238061654016

This was the worst one of the whole thread.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving liberals

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Can't believe that I'm mostly agreeing with Clymer on a take about Lenin

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/iamcardib/status/1157261499523588097?s=21

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I've decided to use my recent unemployment to read all 300 issues of Cerebus and try to figure out where Sims' hallucinogenics abuse resulted in a psychotic break, where he attempted to reconstruct his brain and ended up scared of women, and where he made his own abrahamic religion out of bits of the big three plus his fear of women.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mysterious frankie posted:

I've decided to use my recent unemployment to read all 300 issues of Cerebus and try to figure out where Sims' hallucinogenics abuse resulted in a psychotic break, where he attempted to reconstruct his brain and ended up scared of women, and where he made his own abrahamic religion out of bits of the big three plus his fear of women.

I peaced out after the big fight in jakas story, there is some insanely legit stuff in high society and church and state tho

E: for those unfamiliar, frankies post is a flatly factual rendition of the authors mental progress

sebmojo has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Jun 21, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I peaced out after the big fight in jakas story, there is some insanely legit stuff in high society and church and state tho

E: for those unfamiliar, frankies post is a flatly factual rendition of the authors mental progress

He's such an intriguing figure whose mental collapse and reconciliation, in many ways, presaged the various strains of weirdos currently influencing popular fascist\right wing thought. Not the giggly 4chan creeps, but the deeply troubled and self educated "intellectual" DE types.

I've read about him, but never read him, and I have nothing but time atm. Yesterday I saw a picture of Cerebus looking moody on stone steps in the rain, which led me to realize I've been wondering what the hell Cerebus actually is since he showed up in an issue of Spawn when I was 12. Then I saw I could read it all online for free, so here I goooooooooo.

FUN FACT: Dave Sim is from Kitchener, which is where my wife's family is from, and she is in no way impressed by that piece of trivia!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It starts as a Conan ripoff, becomes a fairly nuanced parody of a us election campaign, then a surreal feverdream of a satire of mediaeval pope politics, then spends like 40 issues in a single building, then it, idk, starts getting weird. It's a whole thing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i never really got the misogynist read of cerebus personally because cerebus is consistently presented as such a monstrously grotesque avatar of toxic masculinity its hard to read him as sympathetic funny for sure but never sympathetic

like right after the legendary issue 186 we get a whole sequence where a godlike figure fucks with the premise in such a way that cerebus could actually get a happy ending but then cerebus screws it up anyway due to his own builtin personality flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

i never really got the misogynist read of cerebus personally because cerebus is consistently presented as such a monstrously grotesque avatar of toxic masculinity its hard to read him as sympathetic funny for sure but never sympathetic

like right after the legendary issue 186 we get a whole sequence where a godlike figure fucks with the premise in such a way that cerebus could actually get a happy ending but then cerebus screws it up anyway due to his own builtin personality flaws

My understanding is that Sim himself says he's not misogynist, is "anti-feminist", and that the West started going off track in 1970 because of increased feminist interference in culture. The assertion people who have read the series make is that issue 186 is Sim essaying through a fictional character and it is his personal belief. Assuming that's all accurate he's not misogynist in only the most pedantic, merriam-webster kind of way; ie he doesn't hate women. He just thinks they are incapable of rational thought and consume male vitality to create negative value.

Whether the comic is misogynist I can't say yet. I'm six issues in and so far the only female character is a Red Sonja parody in issue three who is obnoxious, dumb and her company is a fate worse than assassination- enough so that the client still pays Cerebus his fee when he finds out the target is alive & marrying her. The very next issue has an Elric of Melnibone parody that is essentially Foghorn Leghorn, so I dunno. So far it's just pretty good parody of fantasy staples.