Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bug chaser chaser posted:

This motherboard shortage is rough. Have everything for my NCASE build but a mono right now and they are going for $200 over MSRP on eBay now

I’m hoping that BLT comes through, but are there any other places I should check?

The video card shortage is quickly cementing the notion that I should just get by on my 970 until more info about Ampere/Big Navi comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It's looking like the B550 mITX boards that actually have the cool new B550 features (front panel USB-C, 2.5Gbit NIC, 2x m.2 NVMe, faster WiFi) are going to be quite a bit more expensive than B450 boards:

MSI B550I Gaming Edge Wifi: rumored @ $199
Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming: rumored @ $229
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax: haven't seen a rumor yet, but I imagine it won't be much less than the MSI board

There's going to be a budget ASRock version as well which will probably be more in line with current B450 board costs, but it doesn't appear to offer much over current B450 boards.

So if you can get a B450 board right now at MSRP, it might not be worth waiting for B550 if you aren't prepared to pay like $70-80+ more. I was considering returning my B450 that just arrived, but I'm just gonna go ahead and build now.

As far as getting a B450 mITX board, I added the 4 options to my favorite parts list on PC parts picker and just checked once or twice a day. I saw the Asus and/or ASRock boards (mostly the ASRock) come back in stock for < 24 hours around once a week for a few weeks before I pulled the trigger. So it seems they are possible to find if you're diligent, but maybe the shortage is getting even worse.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The only hope I have of tidying this up is getting custom fittings, and custom cables. There's no daylight. None.

Pretty sure I used the wrong screws here. Gonna swap those when I got off work.

I also need cable combs.

For anyone wondering, the graphics card is salvage from the SFF this new one is replacing. I'll be doing the graphics card (and a cooling loop update) at a later date. It also desperately needs fans for the bottom intake--the amount of obstruction from those cables is directing hot air into the bottom around the GPU.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 27, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Warmachine posted:

The only hope I have of tidying this up is getting custom fittings, and custom cables. There's no daylight. None.

Pretty sure I used the wrong screws here. Gonna swap those when I got off work.

I also need cable combs.

For anyone wondering, the graphics card is salvage from the SFF this new one is replacing. I'll be doing the graphics card (and a cooling loop update) at a later date. It also desperately needs fans for the bottom intake--the amount of obstruction from those cables is directing hot air into the bottom around the GPU.

I have a Streacom DA2 and I was looking into that alphacool eisbaer LT setup for both the GPU and CPU as well but I hadn’t seen very many pics of it actually being used in SFF machines. Are you planning to add whatever your new GPU is to the loop there?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I have a Streacom DA2 and I was looking into that alphacool eisbaer LT setup for both the GPU and CPU as well but I hadn’t seen very many pics of it actually being used in SFF machines. Are you planning to add whatever your new GPU is to the loop there?

Yeah. I'm going to rerun the tubing as well, since I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a somewhat specific layout to accomplish what I want.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New-ish Corsair SF PSU recall.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Good on Corsair for doing a recall, and covering shipping costs both ways. It's nice to see a company acknowledge a defect and own it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

That explains why they seemed to disappear even prior to the current power supply shortage.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Whew, I just bought an SF600, but it looks like mine was manufactured after the bad batch. That would have really ruined my plans for my new computer if I had to RMA it right now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ali Sayed posted his Ncase M1 dual-radiator build this week, which is what I'd been planning since I got my M1 case back in February. Glad to see my concept isn't utterly mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmq0J9hzmlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agMUqqhtaAA

Mine is going to include a backpack reservoir/pump combo from aliexpress. Think FrozenQ but with an integrated DDC pump, which leaves me free to use a standard low profile CPU water block.

It likely won't be ready until the end of the year, sadly, since I need a new GPU first.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Warmachine posted:

Ali Sayed posted his Ncase M1 dual-radiator build this week, which is what I'd been planning since I got my M1 case back in February. Glad to see my concept isn't utterly mad.

Mine is going to include a backpack reservoir/pump combo from aliexpress. Think FrozenQ but with an integrated DDC pump, which leaves me free to use a standard low profile CPU water block.

It likely won't be ready until the end of the year, sadly, since I need a new GPU first.

Very cool, didn't know they had rads and pumps in a form factor like that. I'm also impressed with the alphacool pump/block.

I've been thinking about fitting a larger rad in my ITX build but my pump/res (EK DDC 100) takes up quite a bit of space.

Excited to see your build!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

That’s a very cool build and in theory I want to do something like that but I’ve never built done custom loop before, just CLCs. I guess I will have to see how the 3000 series nvidia launch goes.

Realistically I should just get another EVGA and install the accelero correctly this time... hopefully the base plate situation is better so I can avoid glueing vrm heatsinks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jink posted:

Very cool, didn't know they had rads and pumps in a form factor like that. I'm also impressed with the alphacool pump/block.

I've been thinking about fitting a larger rad in my ITX build but my pump/res (EK DDC 100) takes up quite a bit of space.

Excited to see your build!

Frankly I was stoked to find that someone had made a pump-res combo in the style of the FrozenQ. The problem with the Eisbaer LT and Apogee Drive is that high performance ITX boards don't really have much clearance around the processor, thanks to VRM heatsinks/M.2 heatsinks. My LT has about a millimetre of clearance from the top VRM phases, and wont fit in other configurations. And the linked build, you can see the pump pushing on one of the DIMMs.

The IceMan solves the problem by moving it outside (but still attached to) the case. I can put a normal CPU block with vertical inlets and not have to worry about clearance around the processor anymore.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Warmachine posted:

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

which version of ncase? v6 drastically improved airflow.

I also planned out a loop with that radiator/pump combo but only one side radiator since ncase < v6 have issues with bottom radiator length and it's not completely clear that a single 30mm 240 is actually a real hinderance

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Does anyone know if the M1’s new side panels fit on the V5? Unfortunately they aren’t in stock, but getting more air flow would probably be cool and good.

Edit: looks like they are backwards compatible.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

which version of ncase? v6 drastically improved airflow.

I also planned out a loop with that radiator/pump combo but only one side radiator since ncase < v6 have issues with bottom radiator length and it's not completely clear that a single 30mm 240 is actually a real hinderance

v6. There's a big question about bottom rad length with the front panel IO installed. If it comes to it, I can take out the front panel USB/audio and use the included front panel blank to make the case a no-front-IO case. I think there might just be room though, and I'm going to try.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Finally did a thing. First mITX build, TU150:

Build was fairly easy. Going with a monster like the DRP4 is the only thing that made it take some planning, but just attaching as much as possible to the board prior to install (fan splitters, power cables) made it easy enough. A right angle adapter for the front panel USB and 24-pin (for easier connection/disconnection), as well as an extension cable for the front panel audio (so this could be connected prior to heatsink install rather than having to connect it under the heatsink once the board was in the case) are the only things I might change if I had to do it again. The DRP4 is total overkill for this build (R5 3600), but I found a good deal for used one, so why not (should be able to handle anything I decide to put in this case in the future). The rear exhaust fan is also probably not necessary as it is essentially a 3rd fan for the CPU cooler (was thinking there would be a gap between the heatsink and fan). Lucked out on not getting a recalled SF600 (2014- prefix). Waiting for next gen cards to be released to upgrade the graphics card (currently it's still a 1060), which will probably make more use of this case's GPU length support.

Another thing to note: stock Corsair SF cables aren't long enough to do the ideal PSU cable routing (out the top right hole and routed completely behind the back), but it's still possible to route things relatively cleanly with the stock lengths (what I'm using here). The CPU power is actually long enough to route to the rear (just via the hole to the left of the PSU, rather than above it), but the 24--pin and PCIE cables aren't long enough for any rear routing. Whenever I upgrade the CPU or rebuild for whatever reason (take the heatsink off) I might grab PSU cable extensions to clean it up a bit, but it's not necessary (unless you have a windowed side panel and want maximum neatness).

For comparison, old: mATX fat boy (Mini P180 -- think this is something like 40-45L); new: mITX fatboy:

Glad I went with the TU150 over the Nano S, as it's quiet enough and I think the extra height / depth of the Nano S really wouldn't have made this feel like as much of a downsize. I could potentially see myself downsizing to something like an M1 in the future (especially if larger manufacturers make something more affordable in a similar form factor, e.g. a less lovely Fractal Era), but I think I'll be pretty happy with this size for quite a while.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone here built a system using the Cerberus or Cerberus X? Thinking of moving my ATX system over to a Cerberus X, and now just trying to decide between the black and slate gray color options.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://youtu.be/SJPYbrRmMhM

This is certainly interesting. I can’t help but imagine selling the product as a complete computer might have been a better choice than relatively low comparability and a 50 step install process.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was planning on building a new computer in a Dan Case A4-SFX, but was having an incredibly hard time getting one, and one I did actually purchase from a private seller was lost by UPS.

Ultimately, I ended up ordering a Sliger SM550, which appears to be very close in size with the same basic positioning of the components.

I had ordered custom length cables from pslatecustoms, does anyone know offhand the difference in length in cables needed between the two?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://youtu.be/SJPYbrRmMhM

This is certainly interesting. I can’t help but imagine selling the product as a complete computer might have been a better choice than relatively low comparability and a 50 step install process.

I want to watch a video of someone assembling this monstrosity. It’s pretty cool they almost were able to cool a 65 watt CPU completely fan-less but still hit that 90 degree threshold.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So after about a month with the Eisbaer LT in my Ncase M1, I've gotta give it a firm thumbs down if your system uses a side mounted radiator configuration. The instructions acknowledge that the radiator should be at the highest point in the loop to allow any air to collect in it, however even after bleeding the lines there is an unreasonable amount of gurgling coming from the pump block. The configuration being what it is, there is no easy way to fill and bleed the loop without a reservoir and quick disconnects to allow it to be detached after bleeding--and that will almost certainly reintroduce air into the lines.

Perhaps my experience would be better with a true closed-loop AIO. At some point I can pull it out and try bleeding it again--I'll need a way to keep the pump block elevated and the fill port vertical for 24-48 hours most likely. But my IceMan reservoir-pump combo is due in a couple weeks, so it probably isn't worth the effort.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

The best way to fill and bleed without a res is to have a t line. That's how I used to build loops back in the day with pond pumps etc.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing on Aliexpress?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000905512857.html

I'm looking for something that'll run Zwift in 4k for the forseable future which rules out a Ryzen 3400g unfortunately. I'd like it to be small enough I can pack it away when I'm not cycling. I'm aware I can build something similar in an ITX case for about £400 and save the hassle of Chinese shipping but it'll be much bigger.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get a Zotac AMP box or something from a legit seller. You’re going to have effectively no warranty buying it off AE, and who knows what you’ll actually get in a month or two when it arrives.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Yeep posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing on Aliexpress?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000905512857.html

I'm looking for something that'll run Zwift in 4k for the forseable future which rules out a Ryzen 3400g unfortunately. I'd like it to be small enough I can pack it away when I'm not cycling. I'm aware I can build something similar in an ITX case for about £400 and save the hassle of Chinese shipping but it'll be much bigger.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14129309-l...teSearchV2Algo1

Will this work?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Probably not. It doesn't look like I'll get an acceptable framerate at 4k on either Intel or AMD integrated GPUs otherwise the Lenovo m75n would be perfect. What I need is good single core performance, GTX 1650 or faster graphics and decent wifi in a box I can throw in a drawer when I'm not using it. Ideally I'd be able to find a Mini-ITX case with room for either a half height or half length GPU, but no wasted space on an optical or hard drive bays so I could self build something around an i3 9100f or Ryzen 1600af and a 1650 but I'm struggling to find anything that isn't £200 and limited run.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Was able to get my hands on a Nzxt H1 case and MSI b450 I motherboard with a bit of luck - but want to confirm that the rest of the components I'm about to order make sense from those with more experience:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card
Case: Nzxt H1

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Looking to get a 1440p setup in a mini itx form factor to finally play games now that I'm stuck inside for the rest of the year.

I live in a small space so i'd like something that's as silent as possible. I don't have a lot of time to custom build a water cooled system by hand so prebuilt would be nice. Are there any retailers out there that offer a silent, small gaming rig for $1500-2,500? The digital storm bolt x is pretty much perfect but they don't offer graphics card water cooling for anything less than a RTX 2080 which pushes the total up to >3k. Are there straightforward water cooling kits for RX 5600 XT or RX5700's?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Looking to get a 1440p setup in a mini itx form factor to finally play games now that I'm stuck inside for the rest of the year.

I live in a small space so i'd like something that's as silent as possible. I don't have a lot of time to custom build a water cooled system by hand so prebuilt would be nice. Are there any retailers out there that offer a silent, small gaming rig for $1500-2,500? The digital storm bolt x is pretty much perfect but they don't offer graphics card water cooling for anything less than a RTX 2080 which pushes the total up to >3k. Are there straightforward water cooling kits for RX 5600 XT or RX5700's?

Used Corsair One might fit the bill if you can find one cheap enough.

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

Ne Cede Malis posted:

For most ITX PCs, the obnoxious sound will come from the CPU cooler, not the graphics card. Modern graphics cards will clock themselves down unless you're actively gaming, so you'll only get noise from them while gaming, and games tend to generate a lot of sound all on their own - it might be annoying for someone else in the space if you're using headphones, but you won't be bothered by it. If you want something that is just quiet when idle/under non-gaming use, then, just get something with a nice big CPU cooler. This means avoiding the really small ITX cases, but otherwise isn't that difficult. Adjust down the fans to a nice low speed and it'll be almost silent - and, depending on your case, a large air cooler can actually be quieter than a water cooler, since you have one less moving part (no pump) and the fans are further inside the case.

Now, if you do need absolute silence while gaming, too, that's a bit harder. Not many people make water cooling gear - or custom coolers in general - for lower-end video cards. The market for ~$100 aftermarket coolers for $250 video cards just isn't big - most of the prospective customers would rather buy a faster card than invest so much in cooling a slower one. You are probably better off buying a lower-power-draw card (a ~150W 5600XT not a ~225W 5700XT) with a big beefy cooler and then undervolt / underclock and fiddle with the fan curve if it's still too loud.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I can't imagine a prebuilt SFF that is made for gaming would be reasonably priced at all.

I mean, you could build the following for a little over $1700:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8DLYGc

with this case + asetek 645LT AIO:

https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sm550/

and that would probably outperform whatever monstrosity someone would build you for $2500. All while having AIO's for water cooling both the video card and CPU, so you would have really nice temps and it would be very quiet even under load in a sub 10L case.

EDIT: Tweaked the pcpartpicker list, I accidentally had selected an ATX motherboard which certainly won't work with a SFF case.

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 19, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Ne Cede Malis posted:

What does the cheapest Corsair One run for? If there’s any room to go up from there, put it into the graphics card.

Edit: Cheapest one runs for $2500 with a 9700F and 2080 Super which is actually a pretty great pair for gaming. The bad part is it says it’s out of stock and I’m guessing there are supply issues, oh and they’re about to do a refresh.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-ONE/CORSAIR-ONE-GAMING-PC/p/CS-9020015-NA

Honestly, 1440p is tough to push. I have a 1080Ti which is roughly equivalent to a 2080 and I still want more power. Hopefully the 3080 will be cool and good.

If you can look past not having a water cooled video card, an NZXT H1 would be a good choice. Again go cheap on the CPU and as expensive as you can budget for the GPU.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 19, 2020

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Thank you helpful internet people. The last PC I built was 5 years ago and I’m getting back up to speed.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mistikman posted:

I was planning on building a new computer in a Dan Case A4-SFX, but was having an incredibly hard time getting one, and one I did actually purchase from a private seller was lost by UPS.

Ultimately, I ended up ordering a Sliger SM550, which appears to be very close in size with the same basic positioning of the components.

I had ordered custom length cables from pslatecustoms, does anyone know offhand the difference in length in cables needed between the two?
I had never heard of this case and drat it looks nice, no shipping to Canada unfortunately but I may try one of those package forwarding services.

Edit: I'm dumb they ship to Canada

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 19, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

What does the cheapest Corsair One run for? If there’s any room to go up from there, put it into the graphics card.

Edit: Cheapest one runs for $2500 with a 9700F and 2080 Super which is actually a pretty great pair for gaming. The bad part is it says it’s out of stock and I’m guessing there are supply issues, oh and they’re about to do a refresh.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-ONE/CORSAIR-ONE-GAMING-PC/p/CS-9020015-NA

Honestly, 1440p is tough to push. I have a 1080Ti which is roughly equivalent to a 2080 and I still want more power. Hopefully the 3080 will be cool and good.

If you can look past not having a water cooled video card, an NZXT H1 would be a good choice. Again go cheap on the CPU and as expensive as you can budget for the GPU.

The 3080 has room to be good, but will absolutely not be cool.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
poo poo. I just bought an ML08B case and MSI b450i. Hopefully no regrets.

I need a computer for a home office but not urgently so just buying buts and pieces as they go on special.

Plan is:
Ryzen 3600
2060 super

It won't do much gaming but I want that option. Especially when my kid is old enough in a few years. I don't plan on buying any more games because of my backlog so it should chew through witcher 3 and the division pretty easily.

e: huh, no red text yet. that's nice. i mostly phone post so never know.

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 26, 2020

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

BrassRoots posted:

poo poo. I just bought an ML08B case and MSI b450i. Hopefully no regrets.

I need a computer for a home office but not urgently so just buying buts and pieces as they go on special.

Plan is:
Ryzen 3600
2060 super

It won't do much gaming but I want that option. Especially when my kid is old enough in a few years. I don't plan on buying any more games because of my backlog so it should chew through witcher 3 and the division pretty easily.

e: huh, no red text yet. that's nice. i mostly phone post so never know.

Fwiw, the Witcher 3 and the division run fine on my 5 year old rig (i5 6600k + GTX 1060). Not at 144 fps with everything on high of course, but perfectly playable.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Yeah I played a bit when I had a 970 but goddamn the hair physics were so nice. I want decent framers of monster hair thrashing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Hi, figured this thread might find this interesting as well so crossposting

Broken Machine posted:

i got my egpu nvme -> pcie adapter today so i installed that

there's a somewhat rare mobo form factor, stx - it's slightly larger than 5" by 5". they made boards for it for just a brief period, before intel decided it was dumb to compete with their nucs i guess. they fit in nuc sized cases but you can run full processors with them.

this one has a 6700t installed which i pulled from an hp desktop. also took the cpu fan from there. i ran the cable out through a serial port cutout i wasn't using; glad i got the 20cm cable instead of the 10

it uses a dell power supply that came with an 8 pin out; not sure what it was for originally but they're handy for projects

tested, it worked perfectly first try

installed a shelf for the card to sit on and got everything back together

now i just need to get a newer gpu for it and tidy the cabling; i'm happy everything worked without issue, didn't even have to adjust the bios settings or anything. i set this up to use for gpu passthrough for a win 10 system, so i can play the ms flight sim when it releases

Total case volume is just under 2 liters, turned out fairly well. Now I just have to figure out this key repeating issue when i use a wireless keyboard on some of the usb ports.