Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Softface posted:

It's time for Cursed Baby Yoda Parents

:wtfdude:

I think that broke my brain. Why is this a thing?!

Edit: shameful snipe, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Truga posted:

toady is an anarchist supersoldier now

From Neighbours?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/GrandMoffJoseph/status/1272553120799825922?s=20

Make sure to click through for the second part of the quote. And join me in the Paganocracy.

Loving the RATM lyrics in their username.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
all this AC:Od talk is weird because canonically Kassandra was still alive in 2018

even weirder when you see her last 2018 cutscene before any talk of marriage and babys in greece come up (you can blame the new levelling system for that)

(also she totally slays in a business suit and I hate it they just threw that idea away)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

https://twitter.com/MNFreedomFund/status/1272726417650995202

This is probably, maybe, slightly not okay. Just a feeling.

Call it optimism but a lot of people with experience working at or with non-profits reply on that thread and all generally agree this is actually pretty above-board. They were a super small all-volunteer group that spent ~100k or so a year usually, so they've already spent double what they normally spend in a year in two weeks on bail. They stopped all donations cuz they were thrust into the spotlight and probably got way more way faster than anyone anticipated

Also some people are pointing out where they're not legally even able to redistribute the money they have due to a Minnesota law.

idk maybe theyre all awful embezzlers but in this case I'm just hopeful and listening to the people with experience in the nonprofit realm.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

T-man posted:

motherfuckers. family is a scam put on by the photography industry and abusive parents to keep their victims hostage. be gay do crime and never talk to your relatives unless you actually want to

now these are words of wisdom i can get behind

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is the weirdest goddamn year.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1272655405718605827?s=20

No you see, it's the racists who are brave.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Very brave of me to just drop my pants in public and poo poo where I stand. I could lose my job for this!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

all this AC:Od talk is weird because canonically Kassandra was still alive in 2018

even weirder when you see her last 2018 cutscene before any talk of marriage and babys in greece come up (you can blame the new levelling system for that)

(also she totally slays in a business suit and I hate it they just threw that idea away)

I'm sorry, what? Please explain

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Biplane posted:

From a cursory wiki search, she gets hold of a mystical artefact that makes the owner unable to die of old age, and spends the next 2500 or so years adventuring around the world; then she meets with the modern-day protagonist, passes the artefact to her because reasons, and drops dead on account of being literally 2500 years old.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Haven’t played an AC since 3, but didn’t it end with them all stuck in a cave in 2012 while like pulsars wiped out the human race and Desmond was supposed to emerge as an alien messiah?

Either way seems like it’d be easy to ditch or get around the genetic memory angle.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Ambitious Spider posted:

Haven’t played an AC since 3, but didn’t it end with them all stuck in a cave in 2012 while like pulsars wiped out the human race and Desmond was supposed to emerge as an alien messiah?

Either way seems like it’d be easy to ditch or get around the genetic memory angle.

There is very clearly someone involved in the series who thinks that the overarching story is the part people are playing for - that’s why in Black Flag you kept being pulled out of Jack Sparrow Sim to go walk slowly around a game studio office.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vindolanda posted:

There is very clearly someone involved in the series who thinks that the overarching story is the part people are playing for - that’s why in Black Flag you kept being pulled out of Jack Sparrow Sim to go walk slowly around a game studio office.

So the original plan for the series was to keep Desmond as the main protagonist, expanding on the modern day segments so Desmond would gain more and more Assassin abilities through the Animus until he became the ultimate Assassin and could fight Abstergo. But then Ubisoft realized that the historic segments were the only thing anyone cared about, so they decided to just kill off Desmond at the end of 3 and make the protagonist for the next few games a rotating cast of nameless, faceless randos who got wrapped up in the conflict and only had to leave the Animus for like 10 minutes at a time. Origins was their attempt at bringing back a unique modern protagonist with her own personality and gameplay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jason is not the idiot

https://twitter.com/thejasonkirk/status/1272851673816367110?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Darren is the bravest person ever, being willing to say on television that he's northern and gay whilst also being a standard contrarian right-wing talking point type, which has nothing to do with the £600,000 he, as a fashion student, was given by the official Brexit to run a totally completely independent support campaign.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Biplane posted:

assume Kassandra is the canon hero of Oddyssey

the last expansion for Oddyssey leads Kassandra to Atlantis, the 2018 lady Layla then uses that knowledge to find Atlantis too! it has some very cool interactions with Kassandras dad and an alien AI that can see the future (2018) and the actual player (Kassandra in the simulation kinda breaks the 4th wall)

and when Layla fails to activate Atlantis, actual for real Kassandra in a business suit walks up, Atlantis' McGuffin kept her immortal, and they hug it out (in a pretty well done emotional scene for an Ubisoft game)

also the dweeb that you marry in the first expansion never is mentioned lol

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Call it optimism but a lot of people with experience working at or with non-profits reply on that thread and all generally agree this is actually pretty above-board. They were a super small all-volunteer group that spent ~100k or so a year usually, so they've already spent double what they normally spend in a year in two weeks on bail. They stopped all donations cuz they were thrust into the spotlight and probably got way more way faster than anyone anticipated

Also some people are pointing out where they're not legally even able to redistribute the money they have due to a Minnesota law.

idk maybe theyre all awful embezzlers but in this case I'm just hopeful and listening to the people with experience in the nonprofit realm.

yeah twitter mobs are quick to give and quick to take

there definitely was no need for more than even a million dollars in bail for george floyd protests in the city of minneapolis, because most people getting arrested would be released soon after with dismissed charges (city didn't want to process all the pissant cases of public nuisance or whatever folks were being charged with to take them out of the protest) and most folks getting charged with something that would stick would be like misdemeanor vandalism where the bail would be pretty cheap. plus if the cops are trying to deescalate and not arrest people then there's nobody to bail out

suddenly this organization which handles bail and only bail gets crushed with 40+ years worth of bail money and what are they supposed to spend it on? the same groups of people who wanted to make donation number go up then turn around and feel like they've been mislead, turning into feelings of being ripped off, when they realize that a bail fund probably can't make use of many millions of dollars in donations

remember that half of what you read on social media is someone's hunch which becomes a confirmation on someone else's hunch which becomes fact, so it's not difficult for a few people who don't get how non-profits work think that the non-profit is being shady when they win the donation lottery and legally can't do anything with the money

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I don't know where else to put this. Courtesy of Microsoft's official instructions for adding GIFs to Powerpoints:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-an-animated-gif-to-a-slide-3a04f755-25a9-42c4-8cc1-1da4148aef01?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kinda my biggest beef with Microsoft for like 30 years has boiled down to that it seems like it's staffed entirely by people who don't understand computers (or their users).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Data Graham posted:

Kinda my biggest beef with Microsoft for like 30 years has boiled down to that it seems like it's staffed entirely by people who don't understand computers (or their users).

They're suffering from the same issue as any software company that becomes sufficiently large, at some point UI design is driven by the designers' need to justify keeping their jobs and/or a marketing team, rather than actually making the UI better. Either way you get pointless changes to a perfectly good UI/front end(with no option to roll back to an earlier version, of course, who would ever want that?????) rather than the under-the-hood improvements that users are actually begging for.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/GrandMoffJoseph/status/1272553120799825922?s=20

Make sure to click through for the second part of the quote. And join me in the Paganocracy.

so uh am i reading the second part wrong? it sounds like he wants the christian right to all die and join god in heaven. he knows suicide is a one way ticket to hell right? unless you catholic suicide yourself by drinking / smoking / over eating for 20 years or provoke a cop into shooting you. oh i just got why they want the cops to not be defunded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm glad I'm not the only person who read it that way.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

assume Kassandra is the canon hero of Oddyssey

the last expansion for Oddyssey leads Kassandra to Atlantis, the 2018 lady Layla then uses that knowledge to find Atlantis too! it has some very cool interactions with Kassandras dad and an alien AI that can see the future (2018) and the actual player (Kassandra in the simulation kinda breaks the 4th wall)

and when Layla fails to activate Atlantis, actual for real Kassandra in a business suit walks up, Atlantis' McGuffin kept her immortal, and they hug it out (in a pretty well done emotional scene for an Ubisoft game)

also the dweeb that you marry in the first expansion never is mentioned lol

Well gently caress, that sounds rad as hell actually and makes me want to finish Odyssey.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I know this derail probably annoys some people, but anyway here is the very abridged answer to both of those:

The Neal! posted:

Yeah they should just retcon it, pissing off some pedantic nerds that nobody cares about. Or jesus, if you absolutely have to keep your dumb bloodline poo poo just have one of the characters make a blood oath with another character before they die so the genetic memory gets passed that way, it's sci fi you can make up whatever the gently caress you want.
In Origins they took out the need for that, you can put any old blood or DNA sample into the animus and Joe Random can relive for example Genghis Khan.
They for some reason keep doing their other " some ppl are stronger and sweet Assassin's cause of being descended from human-precursor hybrids and have a high% of that" thing. When their silly Metaplot has a build in way for that to also not need children to pass it on:
Some precursor dude uploaded himself into some form of Forcefield around the earth DNA cloud, don't ask, and gets reborn over and over. So you can just use that thing to keep your " high% of precurser DNA thing going if you have too"

Ambitious Spider posted:

Spoilers up till Odessey (Haven't beaten that one yet):

AC3 Oh no the world is ending, Desmond you are the one that can save us! At the end of the game he sacrifices himself to save humanity and in that proces is forced to release a Precursor (Juno) into some weird DNA Forcefield Could that apparently exists called "The Grey".
AC4 Hey we are game studio Not-Ubisoft working on this pirate game, our buddies at the Templars stole Demond's body and we are sucking it dry for genetic memories. You, playerperson, relive this cool Pirate assassin. So you do, oh and that Juno lady is on the internet now, also her former husband is reborn once in a while cause he is also in the Cloud and these are called Sages.
AC Unity: You have to locate the modern day Sage by going back in the memories of French dude. Oh you found him and he is dead? Welp, okay thanks anyway.
AC Syndicate: Hey another-new recruit help us find this artifact in London by going back to Victorian times, oh neat you found it thanks; oh the templars stole it and one of them is trying to recreate a Precursor so Juno can live in that body. Juno also made you find her Sage hubby in WW1.
The Comics: This is where it gets even more stupid. Hey Desmond had a kid, who knew?! He also ran away and joined the templars for a while. Anyway he is good now woo. Lotsa dumb but unimportant stuff happens. Anyway Juno went into that new body of hers and they that son shanked her, she is now foreverdead. Also Desmond is also in the cloud apperently.
AC Origins: you are a rogue templar trying to relocate some plot mcguffin. You found a tomb and used NEW ANIMUS WITH RANDOM DNA COMPATIBILITY™ to relive Ancient Egypt. By the end you join the Assassin's.
AC Odessey: Haven't played but you use blood from a spear to relive ancient greece.

Why I remember poo poo like this, but couldn't study for the life on me back in college I'll never know.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm glad I quit after AC3 because I actually cared about the metaplot and it sounds like it's gone Kingdom Hearts level of stupid.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I'm glad I quit after AC3 because I actually cared about the metaplot and it sounds like it's gone Kingdom Hearts level of stupid.

Same, but also that post is the first I'd ever heard of any of the games after that even bothering with the modern-day plot.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ambitious Spider posted:

AC3 ends with Desmond having the choice between between activating the precursor machine that protects the earth (but releases the evil precursor alien), and the “good” precursor alien sending him a vision of the above to convince him not to.

Not wanting 99% of people to die off, and knowing the whole “messiah” thing would be a bust (because even if he went all “be excellent to each other” he knew people would just mentally add “in hell” and use it as a justification to start killing each other) he does the first thing, which saves the world and frees the evil precursor and kills him, trusting that his assassin friends will find a way to stop her.

The evil precursor alien makes a few appearances in the next few games by sending some angry emails, and then gets killed off in a spin-off comic no one read.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

snergle posted:

so uh am i reading the second part wrong? it sounds like he wants the christian right to all die and join god in heaven. he knows suicide is a one way ticket to hell right? unless you catholic suicide yourself by drinking / smoking / over eating for 20 years or provoke a cop into shooting you. oh i just got why they want the cops to not be defunded.

I read it more as "Let's pray the Rapture into happening," which on top of the Rapture being an idea built out of really strained readings of disparate texts that ignores much more apparent themes in those texts, goes against the usual Rapture "no one knows the day or hour/God works in mysterious ways" stuff to basically say that enough people asking can just make it happen at will.

Of course, God directly taking people to Heaven is in most ways functionally identical to death, so it's more Suicide by God than Suicide by Cop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I will never get over the games making Juno the big bad and then they just have her get killed in a side comic and forget about her.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

PurpleXVI posted:

They're suffering from the same issue as any software company that becomes sufficiently large, at some point UI design is driven by the designers' need to justify keeping their jobs and/or a marketing team, rather than actually making the UI better. Either way you get pointless changes to a perfectly good UI/front end(with no option to roll back to an earlier version, of course, who would ever want that?????) rather than the under-the-hood improvements that users are actually begging for.

Can confirm. Any time I've been at a company over a certain size, my meetings revolve around marketing people who feel like they need to make a certain quota of contributions to justify their paycheck. They think "it looks good as it is" is not an acceptable response to anything. I've had someone in a meeting request moving a button to a different part of a menu, then in the following meeting the same person requested we move it again....to exactly where it was originally, with absolutely no memory of their previous "idea". We'll have legit problems on the back end or mountains of tech debt to address, but it's important to "rebrand" every other month lately (my alma mater has rebranded their website twice in the past year, because another fun business trend: if you're not growing unbounded forever, you're a failure even if the numbers aren't going down either).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adam Savage says it’s okay to lick boots once in a while.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think he's full blown fash, he's just too stupid to keep his mouth shut, like all white people

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Adam can lick a little boot, as a treat.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

christmas boots posted:

AC3 ends with Desmond having the choice between between activating the precursor machine that protects the earth (but releases the evil precursor alien), and the “good” precursor alien sending him a vision of the above to convince him not to.

Not wanting 99% of people to die off, and knowing the whole “messiah” thing would be a bust (because even if he went all “be excellent to each other” he knew people would just mentally add “in hell” and use it as a justification to start killing each other) he does the first thing, which saves the world and frees the evil precursor and kills him, trusting that his assassin friends will find a way to stop her.

The evil precursor alien makes a few appearances in the next few games by sending some angry emails, and then gets killed off in a spin-off comic no one read.

We're probably talking about this too much in this thread but I have to know, if the big bad is dead, what's the new thing for everyone to be worried about in the future parts of the new games?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

chitoryu12 posted:

Ugh, liberalism and its inability to understand that people are complicit in crimes caused by systems that they support, regardless of whether or not they personally committed crimes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BlueYoungLabour/status/1272908903609753601

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Neal! posted:

We're probably talking about this too much in this thread but I have to know, if the big bad is dead, what's the new thing for everyone to be worried about in the future parts of the new games?

Mostly one big evil Templar company. Depending on the game/comic it ranges from them wanting ancient magic artifacts to control the world to just being evil capitalists.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

bobjr posted:

Mostly one big evil Templar company. Depending on the game/comic it ranges from them wanting ancient magic artifacts to control the world to just being evil capitalists.

I could've sworn that they basically made the Assassins and Templars an apolitical version of the left-right divide, with the bad people being the extremists on both sides. Granted, I checked out of the story after Unity.

IOSM tax:
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1272904470721179648?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"been libertarian on"

:eyepop: