Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Orv posted:

They're very hard games to master! Stick with it if you feel up to it, the pay off for a SA run is a real good high.

Oh I'll definitely work on it, I think on my next attempt I'll just restart the mission and beeline to get a guard outfit and see if I can figure out how to rig the lighting to fall on Victor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Serephina posted:

The doomsday timer btw... is a complete joke. Nobody has even gotten it up halfway yet. $10 Coronavirus rushjob game, it has a few rough edges.

On the hardest difficulty I ignored it as I did for all the other playthroughs on lower difficulties and suddenly it got up to a point where it was warning I would insta-fail the game if it went much higher. I had a momentary panic, but within a few turns of actively trying to lower the level it ended up dropping right back down to like 2-3 bars only. If you actually played at the top difficulty and just kept an eye on it then yeah there is a good chance it'll only get to around the halfway point at worst.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GrandpaPants posted:

Like Motivation, I can see as a sort of system to discourage players from just using their favorite characters, but then you can just, like, wait in real time for Motivation to replenish? Like it's a mobile game or something?

Or just buy a glass of water for a completely irrelevant amount of money from the nearby bar and replenish it. No waiting required.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fat Samurai posted:

Or just buy a glass of water for a completely irrelevant amount of money from the nearby bar and replenish it. No waiting required.

I haven't gotten to the part of the game where I like, get paid yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Torchlight 3 as bad as most people feared (based on the design decisions in 2)?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rinkles posted:

Is Torchlight 3 as bad as most people feared (based on the design decisions in 2)?

At best, yes. At worst, uh... you can definitely tell it's a f2p title hastily revamped into a successor to a flawed single-player game by little of the original team.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I watched a bit of a stream of it and it seemed very generic, like I didn't pay too much attention to the mechanical aspects of what was going on but it looked almost identical to Torchlight 2 to me

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´m having a look at For Honor right now and it looks like a fun brawler with a completely bonkers premise. Is it any fun to play and is decently playable on kb+m?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For Honor is a pretty unique and technical fighting game in 1v1 and a totally mindless clusterfuck in 4v4, which is what most people play. There are single player options and a story campaign as well, although there isn't much to speak of. It's playable with kb+m although it's really intended that you use a controller.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

For Honor is a pretty unique and technical fighting game in 1v1 and a totally mindless clusterfuck in 4v4, which is what most people play. There are single player options and a story campaign as well, although there isn't much to speak of. It's playable with kb+m although it's really intended that you use a controller.
Yeah, I´ll probably go for Anno 1800 instead and wait for a sale on PS store.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´m having a look at For Honor right now and it looks like a fun brawler with a completely bonkers premise. Is it any fun to play and is decently playable on kb+m?

As a single-player game, the campaign was ok and it is one of the few games I know where you can play MP modes purely against bots and still have a good time. The AI was really good, sometimes brutal. Gameplay-wise the combat mechanics were really satisfying but they do lean more towards a fighting game than the brawler you might be imagining, especially so in multiplayer modes. The vast majority of the game's serious combat is often 1 vs 1 and that pretty much applies to all game modes.

As a multiplayer game, it quickly became that kind of game that's kept on long life support with constant cosmetic microtransactions and seasonal events. The game was kind of on hiatus for the better half of last year but they announced a new season for 2020 and implemented a Rainbow Six style battlepass that unlocks a bunch of premium cosmetic poo poo if you play a lot. That might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your taste. Game balance is decent enough and has an enormous history of patches, character reworks and tuning. There's almost always a couple classes that are considered kind of garbage compared to the rest but for the most part there's really no completely overpowered class that dominates the rest.

I think it's definitely worth a try but keep in mind that it's the kind of game that you really need to get good at if you want to play MP.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For the last two weeks or so I have had trouble focusing on playing a single game. I have instead played many games for 30-60 minutes. I wanna briefly talk about them.

Away: Journey to the Unexpected - This is a FPS with the gimmick that instead of having different weapons, you recruit different villagers to come with you. There are at least 4 areas that comprise of 3 small randomly generated dungeons and a boss dungeon. If you die, you carry experience, money, and grenades over between runs for some upgrades. It's not the smoothest game but it is incredibly charming. I love the art style and character designs. Apparently only 4 ish hours so definitely suggest getting this for a dollar in the humble bundle.

Killing Floor 2 - coop waved based zombie shooter. There are a number of classes with unique perks and ways to level them up. The weapons also feel pretty different and evocative of their roles (medic, firebug, etc). I had fun with this, which is saying something because the entire genre feels saturated and bland to me.

Slay the Spire - rogue like turn based rpg with deck building mechanics like the board game Dominion. The concept was novel, but what really impressed me was the attention to little details like card balance that made the game shine. The more I play, the more I am impressed. Only complaint is thst runs can take a bit more time than I'd like.

Dicey Dungeons - think Slay the Spire, but dice placement a la Castles of Burgundy rather than Dominion deck building. I came away liking this a whole lot more than I anticipated. You are given a decent amount agency over the results of your rolls to mitigate the luck. I honestly feel this is a bit less luck driven than slay the Spire. There are at least 5 classes, and at least 4 of them felt pretty unique, like surprisingly so. The presentation is reminiscent of Paper Mario, which I love. I also appreciate how much shorter a run here is than Slay the Spire. Great game.

Guild of Dungeoneering - this was one of the first in the new wave of rogue likes. It is a dungeon crawler where you control the layout of the dungeon rather than the Adventurer. A partially laid dungeon will appear. You get a hand of 5 cards that can include dungeon tiles, enemies, or gold. You place these tiles on the board and entice the Adventurer to move toward the boss. Defeating enemies grants you experience to get more health and equipment to get more attack cards in your deck. Combat is pretty simple. Enemy plays an attack face up, and you play a card from your starting hand of 3 to respond. There are physical attacks, magic attacks, shields for them both, healing, and drawing cards. The encounters are short enough to consider a dungeon a stopping point rather than a fight, if that makes sense. You can only equip a few pieces of equipment, so you can't affect your deck too much. And as far as I can tell, you can't affect the tiles deck at all. Between runs you can upgrade things in your hub for different characters, more equipment options in runs, and blessings for characters to marginally help runs. The presentation has a lot of character, and the core system is unique. Unfortunately, the lack of agency concerning your deck makes it hard to recommend today.

Golf with Your Friends - super arcadey mini golf that has simultaneous multi-player. Really really good, just wish it were a bit easier to easily join lobbies.

Dead Cells - rogue like metroidvania. I was surprised at how good the combat feels. There is also a persistent unlock system between levels and runs. I feel that the discovery falls a little flat because as far as I can tell, your non persistent upgrades are either new weapons or stat upgrades for 3 types of weapons plus innate health gain. Once you find a weapon set up you like, I don't see much reason to care about merchant's. Stat upgrades are not at merchants, which inspires you to explore. But you could maybe ignore combat otherwise once you hit your stride in a run. Still, it feels great so I definitely recommend.

RAD - rogue like that plays like How to Survive kind of. When you gain experience you evolve mutation traits. I was intrigued by that but the combat was so boring I stopped caring. Has an 80s neon aesthetic 8n a post nuclear apocalyptic setting, which some people may enjoy. I couldn't delete it fast enough.

Gunfire Reborn - rogue like fps that was pitched to me as rogue like borderlands where every weapon is a legendary, including 4 player coop. That's a pretty fair sentiment. Feels more RNG reliant than I would like, and the difficulty scale is steep. That said, the core is fun, and the gun play felt good to me. Needs a lot of polish, but is still worth a Rec.

Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon - including these two in same entry because they are so similar. Rogue like twin stick shooters. Good, polished games that also feature local multi-player. My complaint with Nuclear Throne is that your initial weapon does not have unlimited ammo. I do not believe that you should ever find yourself in a position in a game with RNG where you cannot attack. That pressure forces more aggressive play than I would like given my complaint for both games (and Wizard of Legend ) which is they are too stingy with health. Out of the gate they expect you to be pretty good. Which is a design decision. I just don't want to put in that much time for a short run game. I also hate having to choose between healing and a new item or weapon because it feels like a death spiral. If health were even half price in these games I would play a lot more because I love the idea.

My Friend Pedro - stylistic 2d shooter in the Vein of Bleed. Felt great and charming, exactly what we expected when we saw the trailer. Didn't play a lot but I liked the taste.

Warhammer Vermintide 2 - Class Based Left 4 Dead with less emphasis on survival and more on progression. This game feels great. Wish there were more characters but I am happy with it.

Total War Warhammer 2 - this is my first brush with total war. It is a turn based strategy game a la Civilization but the battles are small RTS affairs. I am intrigued by the turn based part. I play on my couch so mouse and keyboard and games that require precise clicking don't get much play. I wonder if I can brute force the RTS portion because I didn't really understand what I was doing. Still, a very unique experience.

There are more but I am tired of typing. May do another later. Hopefully someone enjoyed this.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

if you like sts and dicey dungeons please check out monster train if you haven't!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I plan on trying Monster Train and Griftlands at some point. I JUST figured out I actually like the style of game so I wanna give them some time to go on sale while exploring what is already released. Plus I have Neoverse from humble monthly if I need a fresh albeit more embarrassing skin

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Oh yeah for the 4 other people that like My Summer Car style lifesim games and Skee-ball The Coin Game added it's survival mode.

So check it out if you want to play realistic arcade games and eat junk food to live in a creepy robot world .
Yeeeeees.
The quality on the coin games are outright AMAZING.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Orv posted:

They're very hard games to master! Stick with it if you feel up to it, the pay off for a SA run is a real good high.

orv was right

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh I'll definitely work on it, I think on my next attempt I'll just restart the mission and beeline to get a guard outfit and see if I can figure out how to rig the lighting to fall on Victor.
Make sure you're following the Mission Stories in the log if you're not already, that's helping me to no end with getting a handle on what the AI does (and more critically doesn't :unsmigghh:) do and see

Previous attempts I would ignore those out of stubborn pride (knowing old HITMAN games didn't have that stuff) and it made the game impossible to grok

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 16, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i refunded torchlight 3 after 21 minutes, its bad

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ciaphas posted:

I've finished unlocking everything for that mission with that last run now, yeah. And that includes that sniper feat anyway, so I'm not too bothered. Getting in and out with the fireworks trigger without changing clothes taught me a lot about how the ai, stealth, distractions, and even camera works. Should help going forward, but I still got more stuff to look at in this level somehow :psypop:

Also taught me the rules of SA. it took me a while to work out that killing a guard was stopping me - I kept thinking there must have been someone seeing him die and that was the problem, not me being slightly indiscriminate :eng99:

There is an option under settings - hud that lets you show an indicator next to the map that shows whether you still have silent assassin or not.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember I was completely overwhelmed with Hitman 2016 once I reached Paris, too. The tutorial/training was somewhat straightforward, although I obviously didn't do all the challenges and stuff and suddenly there's this huge level and a confusing amount of disguises and entry points and levels and :aaa:

And then I had a similar feeling with every location but eventually you get used to how to approach a new place and figure stuff out, it's great. I love the new Hitman games (except for the online thing).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xakura posted:

There is an option under settings - hud that lets you show an indicator next to the map that shows whether you still have silent assassin or not.

That's what I meant - I kept going "how the gently caress does the other guy in there keep seeing that guard die" instead of the correct "killing guards voids SA" when I saw that indicator flip from green to red

Myopically focusing on a potential reason for a problem I'm troubleshooting, other possibilities never consciously coming to mind, is something I do a lot :negative:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xakura posted:

Note that being recorded on an active camera makes it go red, and once you deactivate/destroy the security system it will go green again (unless you did something visibly illegal before that).

If the target sees you do something illegal (like choking out their bodyguard) it will also go red. It will go green again if you kill the target before they run away and tell someone about it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 16, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Ya 1v1 gets boring, taking down a whole squad on no hp is one of the better feelings in an online game. Imo also the combat is some of the best this gen, really rewards skillful players.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ballad of The Masked Bandits

quote:

Ballad of The Masked Bandits is a puzzle-packed stealth game where you play as three raccoons in a trench coat pulling off wild west heists.
The reviews suggest that this has a long ways to go before it's ready to come out of Early Access, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hardspace: Shipbreaker and Summer in Mara are buyable

will report...sometime

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For I think the first time ever, Madden has a Steam page.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The expansion for Outward launched today as well

$20 for a new region, a couple new classes and other goodies. Sounds worth it if you liked the base game (which is one of the all time great jank rpgs imo)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

shipbreaker is exactly what it says it is and its amazing.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The newest game from the homeworld guys is out!

Early Access beware
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

queeb posted:

shipbreaker is exactly what it says it is and its amazing.

I can't figure out what they want for the aluminum/nano work order. I've tried all kinds of different configurations/cuts/panels, etc on the barge and it won't accept it.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Kaddish posted:

I can't figure out what they want for the aluminum/nano work order. I've tried all kinds of different configurations/cuts/panels, etc on the barge and it won't accept it.

Some stuff has to go to salvage or furnace on the sides, when you hover over something it should say where it goes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

The expansion for Outward launched today as well

$20 for a new region, a couple new classes and other goodies. Sounds worth it if you liked the base game (which is one of the all time great jank rpgs imo)

would you recommend it to someone who just spent 40 hours beating elex

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Some stuff has to go to salvage or furnace on the sides, when you hover over something it should say where it goes.

Damnit! Thanks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anno posted:

For I think the first time ever, Madden has a Steam page.

Will This Game Feature Anthem Kneelers?

Thats the top thread in the steam discussions...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fallom posted:

would you recommend it to someone who just spent 40 hours beating elex

If you have the appetite for another 30-40 hours of jank, yes absolutely

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Are there any utilities that won't steal all my personal data and inventory that allows me to bulk sell my Steam trading cards?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Kaddish posted:

Damnit! Thanks.

Yeah they didn't communicate that well in the tutorial. In the center of the screen when you look at an object it will say either process, furnace or barge and will be color coded as well. Unless your color blind because the colors are red green blue.

Only on the second tutorial ship but I cut free one side of the ship and shoved all the nanocarbon into processing. If I was smart I would have just processed the entire thing until my cutters durability was gone because you get unlimited O2,tethers and fuel which I didn't realize until after I went back to the hab and now the tutorial is over.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Just emphasizing this, there are two signals: hovering over it, and when you have it actively grappled the place you deposit will light up as an additional indicator.

Early trip report (done two ships in past the tutorial): game not good, but great. Someone had a worry earlier in a video mentioning cut points that the game wasn't as free form as people would have hoped, and I want to put that to rest. Outer hull panels are too tough to cut through normally, but everything else is procedurally hackable into as many pieces as you want. The cut points are just specific joints that let you remove certain objects without damaging them, they're the connective tissue of the major modules of a ship. Think of them as screws or nut and bolt assemblies in real life stuff we have today. Sure you can take a hacksaw or angle grinder to something to cut it up, but it's often easier to just unbolt it, especially if you don't want to ruin whatever you're working on. Even early on in the small ships I still find myself using the cutter in slice mode to put holes in the interior walls so I can reach modules or the attachment points that are in the outer hull (imagine the gap in a house between your drywall and exterior wall, full of all the wiring and plumbing and whatever). I have a feeling as things get larger you will start doing a lot more freeform cutting as you have more poo poo in between you and the shiny goodies hidden inside.

They definitely are on to something, it's hard to explain the feeling of satisfaction of the initial triage of looking what a ship has in it and figuring out your angle of attack, worming into a ship to disconnect the hull plates and cutting gaps for access, then getting back out and finally being able to peel the sucker open like an oyster as tethers pull all the outer hull plates away giving you easy access to a whole bunch of salvagables.

Small tips:

-Past the tutorial air, fuel, and tethers are not infinite, but not a real block to progress other than having to go refill occasionally
-There is a time limit to a salvaging run, but as far as I can tell there is no penalty for jumping back into the same ship if you want to be really thorough and disassemble everything, it just starts a second run with the ship in whatever state you left it. I haven't tried NOT finishing the work order in one go though.
-EDIT: there is one penalty to spending multiple work shifts on a single ship I guess: at the end of every work shift you are billed a certain set amount, so there is diminishing returns once you get the valuables out, if you can't make more than
around ~400k it's probably not worth going back in other than for the fun of completionism and scrapping it down to the last nut and bolt. And since money is arbitrary as far as I can tell that's not much of a penalty.
-There are grabbable items in the ships: I've found a data cache, as well as refills for your oxygen and fuel, so just note their location and swim on over for a free restock when you get low
-Tethers are your friends
-As ships get larger don't think just because you depressurized one room doesn't mean the rest of the ship compartments are also drained. Imagine my surprise as I took 4 [Cargo Containers (Soft)] to the face when I opened the door and blew the contents of the whole cargo section into a two seater cockpit.
-Space potato chips are worth about $900
-Much like real life, electricity is a harsh mistress

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 16, 2020

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

does Shipbreakers really only supports 1920x1080 or is it ultrawidescreen people confusing aspect ratio with actual resolution?

/the latter thankfully.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 16, 2020

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Are there any utilities that won't steal all my personal data and inventory that allows me to bulk sell my Steam trading cards?

Steam Economy Enhancer's pretty decent for listing them, and steam seems to have given up the need for authenticating each card sale on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I’m glad Shipbreaker is sounding exactly like I wanted, can’t wait to give it a try tonight. I know they have pretty big plans to flesh out the rest of the game during early access, too.