Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

A single NVMe SSD would be faster so pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

A single NVMe SSD would be faster so pretty dumb.

This machine doesn't support NVMe booting. Can windows bootloader or some other bootloader live on a ACHI drive and then just point to a NVMe?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

This machine doesn't support NVMe booting. Can windows bootloader or some other bootloader live on a ACHI drive and then just point to a NVMe?

I asked this before, and you can use Clover-EFI to accomplish this, but was told that it's not worth it for some reason.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess its a catch-22 on how to load the NVMe driver if the driver is on the NVMe drive.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Since NVMe drives are significantly faster than normal SATA SSDs, yet they seem to seldom be noticeably faster in use, then I doubt mSATA RAID would be worth the effort or expense.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

makere posted:

I asked this before, and you can use Clover-EFI to accomplish this, but was told that it's not worth it for some reason.

Because it's fragile and stupid and having your OS on an NVMe drive is pointless. The only major OS speedup you get with NVMe is faster boots from hibernate or quickboot (because the boot process is just sucking the hiberfil into ram). But a 3-stage boot process (clover-efi -> nvme bootstrap -> windows boot) eliminates that.

Put your OS on the sata drive and the application that needs high-speed NVMe performance on the NVMe drive.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think my 7 year old 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is failing, but I'm not sure. The machine started hanging when navigating files in Explorer yesterday, and when clicking the start menu and trying to shut down. I clicked the start menu and it took 3-5 seconds to bring it up, then the same thing when clicking power>shut down. 3-5 second delay between action and response.

I'll poke around on it some more when I get home today, but I'm looking at a replacement in the meantime. The machine is a 3770K on a P67 board. I'm looking at either another ~256GB or ~512GB as a replacement, and I'm seeing the cheaper Silicon Power drives on Newegg - are these good enough to rely on for a few years? This machine is mostly used for gaming and obviously is old hardware to begin with. The games are mostly installed on a (also probably going to be dead soon) 9 year old 1TB WD Black HDD, so my other thought was to just get a 2TB SSD and combine them, but I'm not really into the idea of dropping $200+ on this machine at this point. I might be willing to step up to the 1TB Silicon Power drive and just uninstall some stuff.

I'll probably build a new machine in another year or two when there is hopefully a little less uncertainty in the world, but it would be nice to keep this dinosaur chugging along until then.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sirbeefalot posted:

I think my 7 year old 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is failing, but I'm not sure. The machine started hanging when navigating files in Explorer yesterday, and when clicking the start menu and trying to shut down. I clicked the start menu and it took 3-5 seconds to bring it up, then the same thing when clicking power>shut down. 3-5 second delay between action and response.

#1 get crystaldiskinfo, if the drive is having read errors they'll be logged in smart
#2 check event viewer to see if it's reporting drive errors or something else

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm seeing the cheaper Silicon Power drives on Newegg - are these good enough to rely on for a few years?

Yeah, they're ok if price is your main concern. You can at least get warranty rmas from them. They use whatever nand they can get their hands on for cheap, so quality and performance can be a bit variable.

If you're buying a 1TB drive I think they may or may not be worth the discount, at that point you're making an actual investment and an extra $10-15 for a high quality drive from a long-term brand might be worth it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The thread header recommends the Samsung 850 EVO. I'm replacing the hard drive on my Dell G5 5590 with an SSD. Crucial's compatibility page recommends their Crucial P2 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, stats of 500GB M.2 SSD • PCIe NVMe Gen 3 • 2,300 MB/s Read, 940 MB/s Write

Is there a way to figure out what the equivalent Samsung 850 EVO is in form factor, or is it okay to just buy Crucial nowadays?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thread header recommends the Samsung 850 EVO. I'm replacing the hard drive on my Dell G5 5590 with an SSD. Crucial's compatibility page recommends their Crucial P2 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, stats of 500GB M.2 SSD • PCIe NVMe Gen 3 • 2,300 MB/s Read, 940 MB/s Write

Is there a way to figure out what the equivalent Samsung 850 EVO is in form factor, or is it okay to just buy Crucial nowadays?

Thread recommended drives is quite old. Samsung drives are still quality but overpriced compared to competition.

If a 500gb drive is good enough space wise for you, the WD750 500gb is currently on sale at newegg and very good, slightly better than a P2. (A m.2 drive like that also don't have to replace the HDD -- you could have both. Though removing the spinny HDD will save battery.)

If you want a bigger drive & to replace the HDD, good 1tb sata drives are the WD Blue 3d or crucial MX500.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Klyith posted:

Thread recommended drives is quite old. Samsung drives are still quality but overpriced compared to competition.

If a 500gb drive is good enough space wise for you, the WD750 500gb is currently on sale at newegg and very good, slightly better than a P2. (A m.2 drive like that also don't have to replace the HDD -- you could have both. Though removing the spinny HDD will save battery.)

If you want a bigger drive & to replace the HDD, good 1tb sata drives are the WD Blue 3d or crucial MX500.
I'm a bit confused -- the laptop only has two slots, one with the OS on an SSD and the hard drive. Does an m.2 drive daisy chain with the existing hard drive?

How do I determine whether the WD750 will fit the laptop, or is the form factor extremely standard?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm a bit confused -- the laptop only has two slots, one with the OS on an SSD and the hard drive. Does an m.2 drive daisy chain with the existing hard drive?

How do I determine whether the WD750 will fit the laptop, or is the form factor extremely standard?

Crucial P1 and WD750 are both M.2 form factor NVMe drives, they are completely incompatible with harddrives. If you want to replace the harddrive , any 2.5" SATA SSD will do, like the Crucial MX500

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Crucial P1 and WD750 are both M.2 form factor NVMe drives, they are completely incompatible with harddrives. If you want to replace the harddrive , any 2.5" SATA SSD will do, like the Crucial MX500

Aha! So Crucial was actually recommending I use the P1 to replace the existing SSD, not to replace the hard drive. Light dawns, thank you. And it turns out replacing the SSD is actually my use case, now I sit back and think about it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So does it matter what mSATA drive I get to hack in a 1.8" drive replacement for the slow SSD thats in my Lenovo X301? Pretty much all of them gonna perform the same?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If it's gonna be an OS drive, try to find one that has DRAM on it and preferably isn't using QLC. Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't worry all that much about performance metrics.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

#1 get crystaldiskinfo, if the drive is having read errors they'll be logged in smart
#2 check event viewer to see if it's reporting drive errors or something else

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately it's stuck at the initial Windows splash screen now. I'll try to mount it with another machine but I'm assuming it's toast.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

2TB ADATA Ultimate SU800 2.5" SSD is $205 + $10 GC at Newegg.

Thinking about getting this since I have seen almost zero sales for 2TB SSD disks. It has DRAM and seems to review well. Anyone have experience with this brand/disk?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Strong Sauce posted:

2TB ADATA Ultimate SU800 2.5" SSD is $205 + $10 GC at Newegg.

Thinking about getting this since I have seen almost zero sales for 2TB SSD disks. It has DRAM and seems to review well. Anyone have experience with this brand/disk?

A number of people ITT have adata drives (and I don't own one myself but put one in my mom's laptop and one in a build for a friend).

The SU800 is good and on the same tier as a WD Blue or MX500, I'd have no hesitation about getting it when it's cheaper than the 2 defaults.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Yeah I forgot to mention that that the SSD review guy rated it well. My only worry was that the earlier version (128GB) of the SSD seemed iffy. Recent reviews seem good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that that the SSD review guy rated it well. My only worry was that the earlier version (128GB) of the SSD seemed iffy. Recent reviews seem good.

Tiny SSDs of most models are sucky, because they only have 1 flash chip and a minimal amount of SLC cache. SSD performance has a lot to do with spreading data across the flash chips so they can be accessed in parallel. If there were a 128gb version of a WD Blue and MX500 they'd suck too.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of lovely tiny SSDs, does a generic OEM SSD that reports itself as Phison (model number I forgot here) 128GB crapping out from time to time sound at all surprising?

It doesn't really to me. It just randomly disconnects from the notebook and then doesn't even show up in bios until a power cycle happens, surprisingly it doesn't lose any data, it just disconnects.
She says it just causes programs to crash and then a BSOD pops up, and the notebook reboots into BIOS because it doesn't have any boot devices.

It's the boot disk in my sister's notebook, making it kinda unreliable. I'm just gonna swap it for whatever 256 GB m.2 2280 looks likely to be good when she has €40 to spare. She has a 1.5 TB spinny disk in there for storage, so there's no need to go huge.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Have you check that it just hasn't come lose somehow? I'm not well versed in how SSDs fail, but in other devices I'd say that sounds like a flaky connection.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd agree with you, but It's an m.2 drive with the mounting screw still firmly in place. There's no physical space for it to move. And if it's the connector, that'd need a new motherboard to fix it.
If replacing the SSD doesn't work, I'd have to look into putting Windows onto the storage drive and have it boot from there, but that's less than ideal.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Im looking to add another stick to my motherboard. Im already running a 1tb inland premium (top link), but i saw a 2 tb from them with no reviews. Any insight on the 2 tb?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600422/inland-premium-1tb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621230/inland-professional-2tb-3d-qlc-nand-pcie-gen-3-x4-nvme-m2-internal-ssd

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's twice the tee-bees, so it's twice as good!

In all seriousness, the 2TB one is QLC vs the 1TB's TLC, and everything that comes with that distinction is likely heavily in play. That is, QLC is mostly fine, but starts choking if you're doing long sequential writes or fill it up. It'd be fine to run as a game/application drive.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

DrDork posted:

It's twice the tee-bees, so it's twice as good!

In all seriousness, the 2TB one is QLC vs the 1TB's TLC, and everything that comes with that distinction is likely heavily in play. That is, QLC is mostly fine, but starts choking if you're doing long sequential writes or fill it up. It'd be fine to run as a game/application drive.

Thank you very much for the info!

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Is this the right thread to ask about enclosures. Is there a good budget choice for tb3 that has a few extra ports of usb I/o so I don't have to buy a separate dock/hub

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What kinda cow dung company makes you pay shipping for a RMA? Fuckin ADATA. Where did I even read the SX8200 was a good buy when I was building, I thought it was here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

What kinda cow dung company makes you pay shipping for a RMA? Fuckin ADATA. Where did I even read the SX8200 was a good buy when I was building, I thought it was here

Like, for you to mail it to them? All of them, that's pretty much the standard with the OEM parts market.

I've seen stuff with the company paying for shipping but it's generally in cases where they've hosed up and are in PR damage control mode.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, you pay to ship to them and they pay to ship to you is pretty standard practice.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about enclosures. Is there a good budget choice for tb3 that has a few extra ports of usb I/o so I don't have to buy a separate dock/hub

To be honest I've never seen an enclosure with bonus utility ports, let alone a TB3 one. :shrug:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still think the big rich company oughta foot the bill. If fuckin Bezos will do it, everyone should.

Backstory, I ordered the SX8200 nVMe as well as a WD Blue SATA m.2 for my new build, no 2.5 or 3.5" drives. Finished it May last year. It works, but never quite ran the way it should, particularly in relation to boot times. This old Toshiba Satellite from 2012 or something with a bargain kingston 120gb SSD boots faster. I wiped the whole thing and started fresh but it was the same. Not just too slow to boot but would like freeze and stutter when first arriving at login screen and loading programs. Plus on the second install, the ADATA toolbox software wouldn't even recognize the drive was one of theirs. Plus some of my Geforce game captures were coming out corrupted. Computer wouldn't boot at all sometimes, would light up but nothing on screen. And if it went to sleep for whatever reason, would get stuck in the same kinda limbo sometimes instead of waking up like it should.

This whole time I had pinned all my issues on the RAM because while my board is on the QVL for the memory, the RAM is like one letter off from matching the QVL for the board. Booting with XMP enabled just results in a crash if it even gets to Windows (Which reminds me, cant see it being related but I have to try that again now that I have the ADATA drive removed). So I've had to just let my 3600mhz RAM run at 2133 this whole time. Not that that would cause slow boot or anything, just that I feel it must be faulty if it wont work at the advertised speed and the board has plenty of overhead for it.

But I finally got around to just taking out the SX yesterday and installed Windows on the Blue, works much better now, as it should, where the SATA drive should be slower than the nVMe. Now I gotta ship that poo poo to the opposite corner of the continent and hope I dont get a lemon this time. I shoulda just got an Intel or Samsung.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If it is a warranty RMA, the company should cover shipping. If it's a return for another reason, then the customer pays. Simple and fair. But with discount OEMs like ADATA it is pretty typical that they make you pay, unfortunately.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying it's very normal. I don't remember a time I've had my shipping paid for, including by big rich companies like an IBM HDD a decade ago. Only with whole PCs like a Dell or something, where they'll mail you an empty box with a pre-paid label -- and I think most of the reason they do that is so things are packaged well and not destroyed in the mail.

One reason that especially the parts market doesn't want to pay for shipping: a whole lot of RMA'd PC parts are actually just fine. Most of these companies operate on very low margins, and having no penalty at all for sending back half your PC would kinda ruin them. Paying for shipping is the encouragement that people eliminate user error and other failure possibilities before RMA'ing stuff.

codo27 posted:

I shoulda just got an Intel or Samsung.

page back through the thread and you can read the story of a goon with a samsung ssd who gets some really bad service with claims of a counterfeit drive

they're all poo poo

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

The SX8200 is a good buy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

The SX8200 is a good buy.

Yup. It sucks that it sounds like you got a defective one, but there are defective Intel and Samsung drives, too, and you sure saved more than the $8 it'll cost to ship the ADATA one back considering that a Samsung 970 would easily be twice the price, if not more.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If you complain hard enough, sometimes you can force the warranty department to give a pre-paid shipping label. I've done it before; best one I've done was with Viewsonic. I had them give me a pre-paid shipping label after I elevated my case to a supervisor to ship back a defective monitor when they initially wanted me to take care of shipping the unit out myself. I wasn't having any of that bullshit.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Amazon can also afford paying for your shipping thanks to Prime subscriptions and sales volume, those OEMs don't have the same service contracts with postal services and the profit margins are thin since you bought from a third party retailer rather than direct.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Last time I warranty claimed a Seagate they paid for a shipping label, and HDDs are much more expensive to ship around than M.2 SSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

And approx 200% of Seagate's have to be RMAd