Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

There really is some cosmic irony at play here. Even One Piece has been eating delays thanks to the virus.
Maybe Oda just wants OP to be done. Like holy poo poo, it's been going on for almost 23 years and he's now in his mid 40's and probably wants to do another manga/character designs/something else. Hell, Miura and George Morikawa were only a year older when they started BERSERK and Ippo respectively. I mean, he probably has carte blanche to keep going as long as he loving wants because hey, as long as it's putting bread on the table for buttloads of people, all coolio for everyone, but at some point you're probably wondering "shouldn't this be winding down already?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I did one of those "Redraw Sailor Moon" challenges in the Miura style.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

One Piece i just think he knows he can give himself some breath on, it's so established that 3 chapters a month instead of 4 isn't gonna hurt anything about it. And Berserk just is what it is at this point. At least the last chapter kinda felt like we are starting to get ready to setup the end game for Guts and crew.

I'll be very surprised if Guts survives the totality of this story, but he probably deserves it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Miura's already straight-up said in interviews that Berserk isn't gonna have a full-on downer ending, because he's too attached to the characters at this point and assumes the fans largely feel the same way, and thinks a downer would be too unsatisfying at this stage.

At the same time, though, an ending that's just full-on happy would feel weird for Berserk.

My prediction is that Guts dies, but takes Griffith (and potentially the rest of the God Hand) with him and somehow re-splits the worlds in the process.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I'm not overly surprised Berserk is continuing (picking up, even) during the quarantine, since Miura only very recently set up a proper external studio (which was where a lot of the most recent hiatuses came from, iirc). COVID probably just meant he had to put that on hold and keep making Berserk pretty much on his own for a bit.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Miura's already straight-up said in interviews that Berserk isn't gonna have a full-on downer ending, because he's too attached to the characters at this point and assumes the fans largely feel the same way, and thinks a downer would be too unsatisfying at this stage.

People have been waiting 30 years for the ending. If Guts doesn't get a semblance of a happy ending there will be riots

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Guts will survive the ending and the series will end with him lying underneath a tree, except he will be calm and relaxed instead of screaming and covered in blood.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I got some theories for how it will end.
I think the most notable would be that Guts isn't going to kill Griffith. Given that his character arc has had him moving away from seeking revenge it feels like him or Casca rushing off to kill him would be a huge regression. I do think Griffith is going to get his at some point, but I think it's going to come from him being defeated by Rickert, in contrast to Guts he's shed his tears and has moved on with his life while at the same time he's become to realize what a monster Griffith has become.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

People have been waiting 30 years for the ending. If Guts doesn't get a semblance of a happy ending there will be riots

I'll angrily wave my walking aid at him.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

David D. Davidson posted:

I got some theories for how it will end.
I think the most notable would be that Guts isn't going to kill Griffith. Given that his character arc has had him moving away from seeking revenge it feels like him or Casca rushing off to kill him would be a huge regression. I do think Griffith is going to get his at some point, but I think it's going to come from him being defeated by Rickert, in contrast to Guts he's shed his tears and has moved on with his life while at the same time he's become to realize what a monster Griffith has become.

Griffith dying to someone who isn't Guts, who has once more walked away from him never to return, would be the most karmic death for Griffith imo. I can't think of anything that could piss him off more.

Or maybe a repeat of the snow fight, only Guts walks away with the whole crew this time (including demons like Zodd, perhaps), and Griffith is left alone on the hill.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Guts going to Griffith saying he forgives him and understands him now because he found his own dream, followed by Griffith shrieking at him then losing to Guts in one swing and Griffith's army fades because he completely loses his beliefs, that's my ending. Or, just make it one big time loop, Griffith gets beaten and turns into old lady to hand his younger self the behelit.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Guts can make peace with what happened with Griffith an move on, but forgiving him would be insane.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Griffith's entire setup is based around the subconscious desire of society in general for a savior to come in and rescue them from their short brutish medieval lives. At some point, they're going to end up paying the price for that kind of... forfeiture of agency, I guess? And only the people with the--ahem--guts to try and survive on their own, out from underneath the millennium hawk's wings are going to survive

As for Griffith himself, I think that ultimately he's going to be undone by Guts and Casca for the simple reason that he got to where he is now by sacrificing them... but they're not dead yet. And at some point, if they manage to struggle their way out from the brand's influence in a permanent way, the arbiters of fate are going to come to collect the missing balance from out of Griffith's rear end (figuratively)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rickert killing Griffith somehow would be interesting

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

Maybe Oda just wants OP to be done. Like holy poo poo, it's been going on for almost 23 years and he's now in his mid 40's and probably wants to do another manga/character designs/something else. Hell, Miura and George Morikawa were only a year older when they started BERSERK and Ippo respectively. I mean, he probably has carte blanche to keep going as long as he loving wants because hey, as long as it's putting bread on the table for buttloads of people, all coolio for everyone, but at some point you're probably wondering "shouldn't this be winding down already?".

Well, maybe he could try speeding things up then? Because it's not like anybody forces him to create the ridiculously complex settings and introduce dozens of new characters with interlocking storylines that have to be solved with every new arc.

Like, the way I read one piece is to check every six months or so to see if the last arc I saw is finally done and then, if done, read it. I think the current wano arc has been going for *checks notes* a billion years.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'd find mostly anything interesting so long as it isn't as simple as Guts killing Griffith, or something overly depressing. Melancholy or bittersweet would be fine, though. Given how much this series has been about the role of vengeance in trauma and healing, I just want something a little meatier than "Guts swings his sword real hard at Griffith." Casca and Rickert having a happier-ish ending would be nice, too, even if Guts doesn't get one.

It'd be cool if the ending blows me away, but given how good the series has been up to this point and how long it's been running, I'd be satisfied with something simpler, too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ethiser posted:

Guts can make peace with what happened with Griffith an move on, but forgiving him would be insane.

"i bless u for raping my girlfriend"

*puts down the last chapter of Berserk* what a masterpiece

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Isn't it pretty much confirmed that the 'Moon Child' is Guts and Caska's, and that Griffith turns into him whenever there's a full moon? No doubt, Griffith's downfall or complete erasure will result from this somehow. I don't think eliminating the God Hand and the Idea of Evil will be as simple as Guts waving his sword around. Personally, I feel that, just as humanity's collective consciousness created the Idea of Evil, there has to be an Idea of Virtue that has yet to be seen since the majority is occupied with its own suffering.

I don't think there will be a dimensional regression that leads to the material and astral planes separating. If anything, there will be some catalyst that legitimately transforms the world for the better in a grand sense as opposed to the localized facade of Falconia. What that will be is currently beyond me, but Guts and his crew will definitely play a pivotal role in making that happen.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 26, 2020

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Started reading Berserk yesterday. After 150 chapters, I can honestly say this is far better than Game of Thrones.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hilario Baldness posted:

Started reading Berserk yesterday. After 150 chapters, I can honestly say this is far better than Game of Thrones.

And the 2016/2017 anime adaption is just as disappointing as season 8 of Game of Thrones!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

And the 2016/2017 anime adaption is just as disappointing as season 8 of Game of Thrones!

Those abominations should never have been made. Terribly written and horribly animated.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The next chapter of Berserk will miss its original publishing date, and will instead drop on the 22nd of July.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
:negative:

I knew this would happen!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hilario Baldness posted:

Those abominations should never have been made. Terribly written and horribly animated.

Just watch the cutscenes from the PS2 game and the musou that came out a few years ago

Hell the musou even has the fight with the Count (only with absolutely none of the build-up unfortunately, but hey, he's there)

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ETURNA posted:

:negative:

I knew this would happen!

And just like Game of Thrones I now have this to look forward to as well, don't I?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

LordMune posted:

The next chapter of Berserk will miss its original publishing date, and will instead drop on the 22nd of July.

That means in my time zone I'll see it on the 23rd at the earliest which is my birthday! how loving sad is it that this is what now has me excited for that day

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
stupid idea that came into my head today

Bearserk

Just Berserk, but now Guts is a bear.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not the first time someone has thought about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cDULqYhkY

Also sorta relevant now that Persona 4 Golden got rereleased on Steam.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

David D. Davidson posted:

stupid idea that came into my head today

Bearserk

Just Berserk, but now Guts is a bear.

Guts is already full bara so why not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can see the end game of Berserk being Guts killing Griffith, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to be "Casca and Guts agree Griffith needs to be euthanised to kill the monster he became" rather than the burning revenge that consumed Guts for so long.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I don't know how I'd feel about it after all the crap he's put them through, but I could see a workable ending where after Guts beats Griffith and the Godhand, Griffith is returned to the state he was in ore-eclipse and Caska and Guts take pity on him. The final chapter is just that vision Griffith had way back when where Guts and Casca are living a happy life together while Griffith is unable to do anything but helplessly rely on their pity and watch them make a life together.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guts doesnt necessarily have to kill Griffith, just do something that gets Falconia to turn on him as he walks away with Casca. Griffith breaks down and is destroyed by his own kingdom.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guts kicks Griffith in the balls, walks away.

FIN

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Rickert develops a primitive wooden ICBM and...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its going to end in some poetic justice for griffith, or hell die a pitiful death not having learnt anything at all.

Any kind of end except redemption would be a satisfying one for griffith.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Im pretty sure this can end without Guys and Griffith having any sort of confrontation at this point.

Judging by how the magna has been highlighting that people have been welcoming the apostles as guardians and protectors of one of the few human settlements now that Griffith's basically hosed the world over to get his kingdom. I think that he's going to sacrifice Falconia to the godhand and the civilians will suddenly get attacked by the apostles.

I'm also guessing that whoever survives this massacre will wind up encountering Guts and his entourage plus whoever survives whatever goes down at Elfheim. In the end the group from the survivors from Falconia will wind up accepting them into the group in exchange teaching them how to survive in the new world that both groups are in.

It fits in with the theme of trauma, you can't magically go back to how things were, but you can learn to move on.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh geeze, there's been a new thread this whole time. Any word on more delays, or is the chapter still due in ~3 weeks?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Andrigaar posted:

Oh geeze, there's been a new thread this whole time. Any word on more delays, or is the chapter still due in ~3 weeks?

Yeah, new chapter in 2-3 weeks

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Caught all the way up. Goddamn this is a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Welcome to the boat. (It's one of those "slow boats from X")