Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the cop in my village was arrested by the state police for conspiracy to commit arson

I mean the cop because we only had one; im not entirely sure why we even had that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i know a lady who got a restraining order put on the entire police department of a small town she used to commute through. she got pulled over so many times for petty reasons that the judge called it a bunch of bullshit and told them to knock it off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

the cop in my village was arrested by the state police for conspiracy to commit arson

I mean the cop because we only had one; im not entirely sure why we even had that

back in arkansas, there's this little tiny shithole bedroom town called Johnson. they were competing against Springdale (a fairly good sized town) for a new walmart office complex or distribution center or something

johnson offered a deal to walmart where WM would pay absolutely zero property taxes

the next week the Johnson police department (which was next door to our computer shop) had eight shiny new fully kitted out dodge charger squad cars
the Johnson police department had four officers

lmao

Roosevelt posted:

i know a lady who got a restraining order put on the entire police department of a small town she used to commute through. she got pulled over so many times for petty reasons that the judge called it a bunch of bullshit and told them to knock it off

e: oh poo poo lmao two Johnson stories in one post

I-540 (it's now I-49) runs through a mile of Johnson, and in the state of AR local cops may pull people over on the controlled access highways only at the pleasure of the state police. Staties have the right and ability to pull local cops' authorization to write tickets on the freeways.

Johnson ran so many speed traps in their 1 mile of the highway that it caused serious traffic problems all the way down to Fayetteville, a few miles away. State police pulled Johnson's auth to write tickets on that highway for three years and the town almost went bankrupt lmfao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
another friend of mine won an $80,000 settlement against the Springdale PD for pulling him over too many times for Driving While Cambodian. He worked construction and bought himself a late model turbo Volvo cash and they reasoned that anybody driving one of those with nonwhite skin had stolen it.

all cops are bastards but small/medium town cops are loving bastards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the town of hampton, florida (population: 430, of which 18 are police officers) annexed this section of state route 301 so that they could drop the speed limit on it and ticket every passing motorist. they make 80% of the town budget through speeding tickets.

the usa is peppered with places like this. i read about one village where the only traffic light in town was controlled by a switch in the barber shop, and they'd flip it to make any non-local car "run" the red light and get pulled over by the cop in the parking lot across the street. they eventually had to stop doing it after the AAA started warning motorists about it in their guidebooks

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 16, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
all that is why i never speed in the usa

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I was radicalized against the police when I and my two friends got pulled over for speeding in Sauk County (which google decided is best represented by a cop SUV) doing 70 on a straight flat divided highway that had an intentionally low 55mph speed limit. I was a dumb 18 year old and a drug dog cop rolled up and I was like yeah sure whatever you can lead your dog around my car. He then spent the next hour ripping apart my mom's minivan, throwing everything inside onto the side of the road, and screaming in my face that he knew there were drugs in there somewhere and I better tell him where and that he was going to book us for some green leaves he found on the floor he decided were weed. My friend's GF was in tears and eventually the original officer was like "okay this is my call not his and you can go" and the dog cop loving went off on her.

I went to file a complaint and he had apparently gotten a bunch of awards for his great job at doing drug arrests and the cops were like "don't file this, it won't go well for you."

gently caress the pigs. I imagine everyone in the nation has a story like that, and if you aren't white it probably ended up with you spending a night in a cell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

all that is why i never speed in the usa

every time i visit my relatives in the carolinas they warn me not to speed in virginia

this is because virginia has two particular rules about speeding:

1) going 20 miles an hour over the limit is an automatic roadside vehicle impoundment + up to 6 months in jail

2) in addition to the absolute speed limits, the police can at their discretion determine that you were speeding if you were driving too fast for the conditions. so for instance if you're going 60 but it's december and there's a light dusting of frost on the ground, and the virginia pigs decide that the appropriate speed for this dangerous snow-covered road is 40, see point #1

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

well its not like that arson was going to conspire to commit itself

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the first things i learned when i moved to the bay area was that speed limits were no joke in the fancy little tech suburbs, especially after hours

combination of 1) overfunded and overstaffed police departments and 2) not much crime means 3) bored cops have an incentive to bust you for whatever in order to keep their ticket numbers up

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think my biggest hassle with cops was getting an interrogation from like 5 cops for the crime of talking with someone in the parking lot for a bit after a movie before we went our separate ways

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
now now, Bay Area suburb fiefdom cops have a very important job: harassing the hell out of minorities for their terrified white residents

speeding is just a pretense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

a drug dog cop rolled up and I was like yeah sure whatever you can lead your dog around my car. He then spent the next hour ripping apart my mom's minivan, throwing everything inside onto the side of the road, and screaming in my face that he knew there were drugs in there somewhere

I went to file a complaint and he had apparently gotten a bunch of awards for his great job at doing drug arrests and the cops were like "don't file this, it won't go well for you."

yeah i had a similar experience with a drug dog customs agent at the airport. waiting in line, my bag was on the floor, the dog came by and did whatever signal it does, the agent immediately fed the dog a treat and asked to see all my papers. whatever was on there didn't make her happy so she said "open your bag" and as i reached down to do it i sighed. BIG MISTAKE. she grabbed my papers back and drew an x on them and ordered me out of line and into secondary processing. spent nearly an hour in there while another agent completely deconstructed all of my luggage and the original lady kept coming back into to ask if they'd found anything yet. at one point i even helped the guy out and said "look, i've got some [legal] food in this part, maybe the dog smelled that?" and he held it up and asked the lady "could the dog have alerted for this?" and she replied "NO he doesn't alert for that there HAS to be SOMETHING. keep looking" and even the guy gave me a sort of pained look

gently caress the po-lice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had five Fayetteville cop cars surround me and a total of about 1800 pounds of bacon came lumbering out of their cars screaming and pointing handguns at me because I was walking down the railroad tracks in the middle of town to get to work at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.

Sagebrush posted:

every time i visit my relatives in the carolinas they warn me not to speed in virginia

1) going 20 miles an hour over the limit is an automatic roadside vehicle impoundment + up to 6 months in jail

2) in addition to the absolute speed limits, the police can at their discretion determine that you were speeding if you were driving too fast for the conditions. so for instance if you're going 60 but it's december and there's a light dusting of frost on the ground, and the virginia pigs decide that the appropriate speed for this dangerous snow-covered road is 40, see point #1

3: it's also the only state where radar detectors are illegal.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the day that america ceases to exist will be the greatest day for mankind

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i had five Fayetteville cop cars surround me and a total of about 1800 pounds of bacon came lumbering out of their cars screaming and pointing handguns at me because I was walking down the railroad tracks in the middle of town to get to work at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.
I guess shooting you is one way to ensure you don't get killed by a train.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Jonny 290 posted:

3: it's also the only state where radar detectors are illegal.

1a> going over 85 regardless of posted limit is the same as 20 over. we have a number of highways with posted 70 limits. until a few weeks ago the cutoff was 80.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember when my sister magically talked herself from a fix it ticket to a misdemeanor somehow and the the comedy that in the US you can basically just pay money to remove your criminal record no problems with this system

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
really sounds like the best solution is to not drive which is why I've spent most of my life in nyc and only got a license last year

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah cops in nyc are known for their powerlessness over pedestrians

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
carding is a huge sore point in ontario for black people, in addition to the driving while black problems people have

efb

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I remember when my sister magically talked herself from a fix it ticket to a misdemeanor somehow and the the comedy that in the US you can basically just pay money to remove your criminal record no problems with this system

Prosecutors are paid just as poorly and are overworked just as much as Public Defenders so if you have the money to hire a rich fancy attorney with an army of lawyers doing research and preparing borderline frivolous filings the prosecutor is going to say "gently caress this" and let you go.

Also judges are rich and go to the same country clubs as the rich rapist's father and they feel a lot of undeserved empathy for the spoiled brats

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i was a dumb kid when i was 20 and rear-ended somebody from out of state, and i didnt have currrent insurance

I went into court and the judge said "do you have insurance now" "yes sir" "can you pay $120 cash today by 5pm" "yes sir" "if you do that this never happened" "thank you sir"

i borrowed 20 bucks each from six punk buddies and we threw a show that weekend to pay them back.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
fines are literally just society saying that some laws don't apply to rich people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah cops in nyc are known for their powerlessness over pedestrians
They ignore pedestrians/cyclists most of the time, but they might occasionally try to intentionally run you over, ticket you, or physically knock you off your bicycle.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

fines are literally just society saying that some laws don't apply to rich people.

agreed

scaling fines to someone's net worth is at least a step in the right direction and ought to be something done everywhere

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a few years back i was driving pissed off and found myself in a right turn only lane and a bike cop pulled up on the side street and i took the right at 35mph squealing all four tires on the Forester to avoid turning him into a meat crayon. He pulled me over and i got a reckless ticket. Went to court in a shirt with more than two buttons and the clerk said "if you pay $100 this becomes a headlight ticket with zero points"

I drive chill now.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the usa is peppered with places like this. i read about one village where the only traffic light in town was controlled by a switch in the barber shop, and they'd flip it to make any non-local car "run" the red light and get pulled over by the cop in the parking lot across the street. they eventually had to stop doing it after the AAA started warning motorists about it in their guidebooks

rural louisiana has a big problem with speed trap towns, which the state legislature takes issue with only because they think it'll impact tourism

they've tried a few things to tamp it down

quote:

Winnsboro Republican Rep. Steve Pylant went a different direction in 2014, pushing legislation that would require municipalities receiving more than half their income from tickets to erect flashing signs that warn motorists they’re entering a speed trap.

Pylant’s measure cleared committee, but he knew it was in trouble as he walked into the House chamber past dozens of small-town mayors he recognized from his days as a Franklin Parish sheriff.

lol

FMguru posted:

one of the first things i learned when i moved to the bay area was that speed limits were no joke in the fancy little tech suburbs, especially after hours

combination of 1) overfunded and overstaffed police departments and 2) not much crime means 3) bored cops have an incentive to bust you for whatever in order to keep their ticket numbers up

one of my old coworkers got a $200 ticket in foster city for chirping his tires as he left a gas station

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

back in arkansas, there's this little tiny shithole bedroom town called Johnson. they were competing against Springdale (a fairly good sized town) for a new walmart office complex or distribution center or something

johnson offered a deal to walmart where WM would pay absolutely zero property taxes

the next week the Johnson police department (which was next door to our computer shop) had eight shiny new fully kitted out dodge charger squad cars
the Johnson police department had four officers

lmao
well yeah they are chrysler products, you need at least one parts car for when things start inevitably failing after a year.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

the town of hampton, florida (population: 430, of which 18 are police officers) annexed this section of state route 301 so that they could drop the speed limit on it and ticket every passing motorist. they make 80% of the town budget through speeding tickets.

thats linndale here

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Anyway defund the police is the compromise, we should abolish them entirely.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the key takeaway is that driving is the easiest way to lose your life either by accident or cop

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you can't really abolish the police because sometimes a murder does need to be investigated, but that is such a vanishingly small part of what the police do, most of which is unnecessary harassment that doesn't make us any safer, that you can totally defund the police to the tune of like 90% and america will only get better as a result

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i do however believe that defunding the police will cause an increase in domestic violence. not because there are no longer enough cops out there to catch the bad guys, but because all the laid off cops will be stuck at home beating their wives

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can't really abolish the police because sometimes a murder does need to be investigated, but that is such a vanishingly small part of what the police do, most of which is unnecessary harassment that doesn't make us any safer, that you can totally defund the police to the tune of like 90% and america will only get better as a result

you can have other types of law enforcement than beat cops, and they are perfectly capable of doing their jobs without even having a gun on their belt when they do need to leave their workplace buildings

also look up the clearance rate for murder investigations, i think it'll surprise you

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can still abolish the police and just make an unarmed detective force. cops aren't dusting for prints, they're just blaming the closest minority.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

oh ya i'm aware it's terrible but still better than 0. and true just because we need someone to actually investigate serious crimes doesn't mean they need to be anything like today's cop

alright then you've convinced me, it's more like "abolish the concept of police" or "abolish policing"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DELETE CASCADE posted:

The police don't ever actually investigate any murders, let alone any other crimes. The only murders that are ever solved are ones that are either clear as day (think guy standing over a corpse holding a knife covered in blood yelling "I DID IT") or are "solved" by railroading an innocent person who just so happens to have been nearby and aren't white or are poor.

Cop procedural television shows have convinced everyone that police solve crimes all day when in reality that isn't even a part of their job.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what would be interesting is seeing how various governments would hafta tackle traffic enforcement without patrol cops. it'd be cameras everywhere i think

i mean there's already a good amount of highway cams, but there'd probably hafta be way way more of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Stereotype posted:

Cop procedural television shows have convinced everyone that police solve crimes all day when in reality that isn't even a part of their job.

this