Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nihonniboku posted:

That guy was still behaving like a frat boy at 40, so I could understand why they did him. I didn't understand the 18 year old activist. She was so young, living in a group house with friends, and had experienced nothing challenging in life. She's 18, still figuring stuff out, and seemed very driven. They didn't even do that much with her. That one baffled me.

Also I've realized that as the show has gone on, Antoni has started behaving more and more strangely each season. I've realized that he's someone who is probably very naturally a very strange person, he's just more comfortable about showing it 4 (?) seasons in. He's someone who has just benefited greatly in life from being ridiculously good looking.

I can forgive the bad episodes because the Tyreek episode was awesome.

Antony on the other hand...he wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Hannibal these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteGenocideNow
Mar 16, 2019

I feel like men are not sending us their best people.
Is George Romero's Knightriders worth watching? The premise seems kinda funny

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Any word on how Blood Machines is?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WhiteGenocideNow posted:

Is George Romero's Knightriders worth watching? The premise seems kinda funny

Knightriders is great

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Any word on how Blood Machines is?

It's like an extended music video, based on a po-mo short story about gender revenge, with lots of titties.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
What the hell is up with the weird tone of The Search on Netflix? It's based on the true story about a little girl being found dead but it's being treated like a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode and it's really weird and uncomfortable.

The acting is fine but it really really does not fit subject matter this grim and depressing. Like the dude playing the Deputy Attorney General is acting like this put upon dork and it feels like it should be on VEEP or something and not the true story about a child murder.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Collateral posted:

It's like an extended music video, based on a po-mo short story about gender revenge, with lots of titties.

This makes it sound much better than it is (dreadfully boring).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chas McGill posted:

I can forgive the bad episodes because the Tyreek episode was awesome.

Antony on the other hand...he wouldn't be out of place in an episode of Hannibal these days.

haha, I don't know if Antoni is creepy. Just a loving weirdo.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Decided to watch Cold Mountain because I've never seen it and I feel like ACW movies be hard to find on streaming for the next little stretch.

What the gently caress is going on with this movie? Some real weird casting choices - almost exclusively non-American actors, none of which can carry a Southern accent worth a drat. Nicole Kidman tries and it's pretty painful. Jude Law just lowers his voice and grunts his way through the movie, hoping no one will notice his lack of accent. Philip Seymour Hoffman's is somehow the worst of all, wandering regularly over into faux-British accent territory.

The two romantic leads, Nicole Kidman and Jude Law, seem to have actual negative chemistry. It's also like 2.5 hours long, at least 40 minutes of which are just scenes of Nicole Kidman being lovely at farming for comic relief, I guess?

There is also a backflipping albino bad guy.

I'll at least give them credit for making Battle of the Crater at the beginning properly nightmarish, but that's really the only nice thing I can find to say about it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/BlakeWexler/status/1272651476905541633?s=19

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I watched a documentary on Disney+ the other day that got tagged as PG for "Historical Smoking"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I watched a documentary on Disney+ the other day that got tagged as PG for "Historical Smoking"

drat, that must have been some smoking

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Every episode of Star Trek TNG has a tag of SEX, FEAR.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So does my Okcupid profile.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’m watching Hannibal and I’m to the episode where Freddie Lounds takes the witness stand wearing a giant fancy hat and gloves, and it is just a perfect encapsulation of how ridiculous this show is

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Deadite posted:

I’m watching Hannibal and I’m to the episode where Freddie Lounds takes the witness stand wearing a giant fancy hat and gloves, and it is just a perfect encapsulation of how ridiculous this show is

Honestly her wardrobe is impeccable.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm two episodes in on The Great and it's, well, great!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1272668180385869824

It's on Netflix. Any good?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Honestly her wardrobe is impeccable.

Oh man, now in this episode she has a derringer

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Deadite posted:

Oh man, now in this episode she has a derringer

I have a female friend who saw a screencap of the show and freaked the gently caress out about how much she wanted the coat the character wore in one screen.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I was browsing justwatch.com and noticed that World War Z is available to stream on 12 different platforms.

So I thought to myself - I wonder which movie has the most streaming options? Just typing in random films, I found a few other 12s, and then hit the jackpot!!

Available on 15 different services!! Now I'm wondering if there is something out there that beats it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fenix down posted:

I was browsing justwatch.com and noticed that World War Z is available to stream on 12 different platforms.

So I thought to myself - I wonder which movie has the most streaming options? Just typing in random films, I found a few other 12s, and then hit the jackpot!!

Available on 15 different services!! Now I'm wondering if there is something out there that beats it?

Night of the Living Dead. I count 20 just in the streaming row.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

david_a posted:

Night of the Living Dead. I count 20 just in the streaming row.
Whoa, I count 25 - that could very well be the winner! :O

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fenix down posted:

Whoa, I count 25 - that could very well be the winner! :O

Being public domain and actually good helps. If something beats it, it’ll probably be on this list but skimming through it no real contenders stood out.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Deadite posted:

I’m watching for the first time too and yeah, it is a very silly show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok Vast of Night was amazing. Everything from the acting, directing, and editing was great. This is better than movies with 100 times it’s budget.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Ok Vast of Night was amazing. Everything from the acting, directing, and editing was great. This is better than movies with 100 times it’s budget.
I just mostly loved it for the amazing joe bidenisms

I think at one point he actually says
CUT THE GAS, CUBE

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I think one of my favorite things about Hannibal is how Jack Crawford, the head of the FBI’s behavioral science unit, routinely goes on solo missions to crime scenes or to active crises. Because that is what the head of the behavioral science unit does.

Or sometimes he drags a non-FBI psychology consultant along with him.

It’s weird how this show can be so grim and humorless and also so goofy at the same time.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

fenix down posted:

Oh, this is why a la carte cable is bad. Or good. The best worst thing to happen to television since you had to go buy a new one when everything switched to hd

e For an actual contribution, the first twelve or thirteen minutes of the first episode of High Maintenance on HBO shocked me more than anything in Game of Thrones ever did. Then there was still twenty minutes of episode left, which were also each individually incredible. I'd only seen a couple one-off episodes where he's biking around selling weed and it's kind of funny, I had no idea it started like this.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 17, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Deadite posted:

I think one of my favorite things about Hannibal is how Jack Crawford, the head of the FBI’s behavioral science unit, routinely goes on solo missions to crime scenes or to active crises. Because that is what the head of the behavioral science unit does.

Or sometimes he drags a non-FBI psychology consultant along with him.

It’s weird how this show can be so grim and humorless and also so goofy at the same time.

Just a carryover I guess from the books and movies where the BSU is dealing with these major crises(one of which involves a Senator's daughter) so it makes sense for Crawford to be directly involved. And of course you were able to get Lawrence Fisburne to agree to be in the show so you can't waste him.

When you think about it Crawford does have this habit of going at cases in weird ways, like how he tapped Clarice to interview Lecter, or the way he uses Will Graham as a guided missile.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Don't forget Jack Crawford was inspired by John Douglas who wrote books on profiling, including Mindhunter, which inspired the Netflix series of the same name and the main character is also based on Douglas!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think Hannibal is ever really "humorless." It has the exact same narrative sensibilities as Fuller's other shows, except it doesn't have a narrator making jokey comments about the dramatic irony (which is, itself, very much still there.)

e: this is a show that introduces its main character giving a lecture about Hannah Arendt's "The Banality of Evil" and then the next three seasons are about him falling madly in love with the Devil because he just can't help himself

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I never watched American Gods after the first season. How bad is it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chitoryu12 posted:

the new showrunners fired the guy who played Anansi because they thought his character sent the wrong message

e: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/orlando-jones-fired-american-gods-says-he-sent-wrong-message-black-america-1262775

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was actually thinking about an old MadTV sketch the other day and vaguely hoping Orlando Jones was still getting work.
:smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I was actually thinking about an old MadTV sketch the other day and vaguely hoping Orlando Jones was still getting work.
:smith:

He's had mostly t.v. work but he does work. He was a major character in Sleepy Hollow, although that show did debut 7 years ago now. Most recently he was in American Gods.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It's like they had two episodes worth of content and tried to stretch it into 10 by adding exceptionally boring side-plots.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Class Warcraft posted:

It's like they had two episodes worth of content and tried to stretch it into 10 by adding exceptionally boring side-plots.

And they lost Gillian Anderson and replaced her with a very annoying character called New Media

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah describing Hannibal as humorless is surprising, maybe that's how it was in season 1 but at this point there's like some silly pun or sly line (usually involving cannibalism or mutilation) every episode now. Mason and Hannibal practice their standup all the time.
Even season 1 had the csi goof crew who i hate and am glad i see way less of now (sorry Scott Thompson, i love kids in the hall tho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I’m in season 2 and Mason hasn’t appeared yet. The only people on the show with a sense of humor at the moment are the lab techs, and their comedy routine is just tedious.

The only other Brian Fuller show I have seen is American Gods which always has solid jokes sprinkled in with the mythology, so maybe I was just expecting something more like that. American Gods seems to understand what a ridiculous show it is (or did during the first season).