Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

Been a sneaker around this thread because I love mechanical keyboards - and luckily I swung by and saw the Keychron Kickstarter for the K8. Hopped on that for the base model to try out their line of keyboards. I almost was able to pick up at K2 at a second-hand shop that I saw on Friday for $50. Unfortunately by the time I got home to call and have it put aside, it was gone.

Currently I rock a Rosewill RK-9000 with red switches. Used to have it in blues, but my wife was about to murder me in my sleep since I've been working from home more in the past few years. I love it, but it's a huge monster and takes up a lot of real estate. With the K8 and my wireless mouse, I'll have a lot more space on my desk without worry of cables and tugging.

Did you see this post?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Shiiiiiiiit Durgod is finally putting out a Bluetooth keyboard and it's being done in the style of the classic NES.

Of course it shows up like right after I order the keychron k8.

https://fusion.durgod.com/

Because that looks just about perfect. Would much rather have a Durgod than that K2.

Azuth0667 posted:

What's a good ergonomic wired keyboard? I have a logitech k120 now and I want to replace it with something better. Everything I've seen so far is either wireless or has some obnoxious backlighting.

Ergodox EZ is pretty good.
Hot Dox if you want hot swap sockets and don't mind a bit of DIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did you see this post?

Because that looks just about perfect. Would much rather have a Durgod than that K2.

I did - however I'm opting for a TKL since this will be for work (and for gaming). I'm actually not going with the K2, but the K8 thats on the Kickstarter.

I'll keep the Durgod on my lookout list though - wouldn't mind two small mechanical keyboards!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

I did - however I'm opting for a TKL since this will be for work (and for gaming). I'm actually not going with the K2, but the K8 thats on the Kickstarter.

I'll keep the Durgod on my lookout list though - wouldn't mind two small mechanical keyboards!

Oh I had the impression that you were still looking for a 60-ish%. In that case I would definitely grab the Durgod over the K2, based solely ultimate build quality of the 4 Durgod Keyboards I own.

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ergodox EZ is pretty good.
Hot Dox if you want hot swap sockets and don't mind a bit of DIY

ErgoDox EZ has hot swap sockets and you can choose lighting or not, I’m really happy with mine :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m also thrilled with my Ergodox EZ

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Would all of you say it was worth the $$$? Are they durable with respect to normal use? Anything from the more common manufacturers that you are missing on the EZ? How comfy are they compared to a normal keyboard?

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
Downsides to EZ:

You probably need large hands to be comfortable. My thumbs hurt so much after using an EZ and I had to give up after a week. I found other splits with closer thumb clusters were fine, and eventually just designed my own with even closer thumb keys.

It feels very cheap and plasticy. If you are expecting something that feels similar to other non-ergo keebs in that price range you will be disappointed.

Upsides:

I sold mine on mechmarket for not much loss pretty quickly.

That said, some people love the EZ and it does have a lot of keys if that's your thing.

I usually tell people to build an Iris, or try picking one up on mechmarket, if they can deal with the extra procurement complexity. It's usually going to run half the price of an EZ, and it's a much more neutral layout but it still has a number row to allow you to transition away from it. If you get Rev 4 PCBs all you need to do is solder switches, which you can do with a cheap iron without loving anything up, and you'll need anyway if you succumb to the endless addiction that is keyboards.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i dont use many of the thumb cluster keys much, but considering i suck rear end at soldering and didnt feel like waiting for a Redox to be made and shipped from Poland + the complete pain in the rear end it is to acquire modifier keys for it made it the only split i could really justify getting

mine feels nice compared to my ducky one that i had prior, and as Llama said itll sell for close to what you paid for on mech market within a few hours`

also the configurator utility on their website is heaps easier than manually writing a keymap

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I kind of want to replace all the alphas with dots instead.

You're gonna want to stalk r/mechmarket for GMK Dots, then

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I highly recommend an Iris. The ErgoDox requires you to reach with your thumb way too much when I tried my buddy's. Plus you can put sweet encoder knobs on it.

Though I gotta be honest, I stopped using it as a full keyboard and pretty much just use the right side as a gaming keypad.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I finally put together my first 'real' keyboard, a KBD67 MKII with novelkeys cream switches and enjoypbt 9009 keycaps.

I accidentally ordered the wrong stabilizers, so I had to wait for another set to be shipped. Ended up going with Durock screw-in stabilizers, which also look great!

Overall this was a breeze to put together, really happy with it.

All that is missing now is a cool USB cable to go with it. Does anybody have good site? Preferably in the EU!

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Does anybody know of an ortholinear tenkeyless model? I've done some looking and it doesn't seem to exist.

I want to get a more ergonomic setup, but don't really want to make the jump to a completely different format.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Downsides to EZ:

You probably need large hands to be comfortable. My thumbs hurt so much after using an EZ and I had to give up after a week. I found other splits with closer thumb clusters were fine, and eventually just designed my own with even closer thumb keys.

It feels very cheap and plasticy. If you are expecting something that feels similar to other non-ergo keebs in that price range you will be disappointed.

Upsides:

I sold mine on mechmarket for not much loss pretty quickly.

That said, some people love the EZ and it does have a lot of keys if that's your thing.

I usually tell people to build an Iris, or try picking one up on mechmarket, if they can deal with the extra procurement complexity. It's usually going to run half the price of an EZ, and it's a much more neutral layout but it still has a number row to allow you to transition away from it. If you get Rev 4 PCBs all you need to do is solder switches, which you can do with a cheap iron without loving anything up, and you'll need anyway if you succumb to the endless addiction that is keyboards.

I too have smaller hands, is there a site for suggested layouts? Or a kind of howto on what I would need? I understand most of it but a guide would be nice. I bought my alt to be a portable keyboard for client sites but have since moved it to my daily driver but I find the layout a but small for coding use.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

Does anybody know of an ortholinear tenkeyless model? I've done some looking and it doesn't seem to exist.

I want to get a more ergonomic setup, but don't really want to make the jump to a completely different format.

i cant think of any but the planck exists

https://ergodox-ez.com/pages/planck if u want a preassembled, there are probably other (also cheaper) options

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

SoftNum posted:

I too have smaller hands, is there a site for suggested layouts? Or a kind of howto on what I would need? I understand most of it but a guide would be nice. I bought my alt to be a portable keyboard for client sites but have since moved it to my daily driver but I find the layout a but small for coding use.

this is my current layout and it suits my needs

https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/ergodox-ez/layouts/zbGLm/latest/0

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

You're gonna want to stalk r/mechmarket for GMK Dots, then

Yeah I was real sad I missed out on that one but I was in a VERY different financial situation this time last year. Makes me sad I missed out though. It's a great set.

I just dropped $200 on the EPBT Ivory set and deskmat though so I think I'm good for a minute.

Willeh posted:

I finally put together my first 'real' keyboard, a KBD67 MKII with novelkeys cream switches and enjoypbt 9009 keycaps.

I accidentally ordered the wrong stabilizers, so I had to wait for another set to be shipped. Ended up going with Durock screw-in stabilizers, which also look great!

Overall this was a breeze to put together, really happy with it.

All that is missing now is a cool USB cable to go with it. Does anybody have good site? Preferably in the EU!

Missed my chance to say "this is a really cool keeb."
That's one of the better 60% layouts and that's a really nice kit. How do you like the NK Creams?

Oh I just remembered what I wanted to ask this thread.
Is there a board that's "tenkeyless" but actually has the number pad? (I know this is a terrible way of describing it)
I mean, instead of having the arrow keys and home, end, del... the number pad is there?

Like the CoolerMaster MASTERKEYS PRO M or a 60+numpad like the Vortex Vibe.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 17, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is there a board that's "tenkeyless" but actually has the number pad? (I know this is a terrible way of describing it)
I mean, instead of having the arrow keys and home, end, del... the number pad is there?

This is usually called "96 key" so you can google for it. There's many options.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I was real sad I missed out on that one but I was in a VERY different financial situation this time last year. Makes me sad I missed out though. It's a great set.

I just dropped $200 on the EPBT Ivory set and deskmat though so I think I'm good for a minute.

That's one of the better 60% layouts and that's a really nice kit. How do you like the NK Creams?

Are you asking for a design that has separation between the main keys and the numpad? Or just for more boards like the Pro M and the Vortex Vibe?
If it's the former, the closest I can think of are proper 1800 layouts that space the arrow keys and the numpad.
If it's the latter, there was the CandyBar keyboard and a similar layout can be achieved on the 75 key ortholinear layouts like the ID75.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SoftNum posted:

This is usually called "96 key" so you can google for it. There's many options.
Yeah, I had a brainfart and couldn't remember the name of that layout. Thanks!
I was looking at the Kira a while back, and recently the Kira Stealth.

But specifically I'm really looking for a 60+numpad like the Vortex Vibe.

Anywho did you guys know that this was a thing: https://kono.store/collections/keyboard-collection/products/alt71-modular-keyboard
Because, I did not know that this was a thing.

.Z. posted:

Are you asking for a design that has separation between the main keys and the numpad? Or just for more boards like the Pro M and the Vortex Vibe?
If it's the former, the closest I can think of are proper 1800 layouts that space the arrow keys and the numpad.
If it's the latter, there was the CandyBar keyboard and a similar layout can be achieved on the 75 key ortholinear layouts like the ID75.

Yeah I'm specifically looking for more boards like the Vortex Vibe. 60% (no function keys) + full tenkey.
I've already got the 96 key and 1800 layouts covered.
I've seen some good ortholinear builds with numpads all over the places like in the middle or on the right, but that's not what I want in this particular board.

I found one GB for a kit from like 3 years ago called the UK78:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90060.0

But I'm having trouble pinning down something current.

Edit: apparently the term that I'm looking for is Mini 1800?

Except I'd prefer to lose the arrow keys and just use Fn or numlock to use arrows on the numpad.

Oh there was a GB for something called the Molly a while ago too:
https://thekey.company/products/m0lly

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with my flow of consciousness posts.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 17, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Except I'd prefer to lose the arrow keys and just use Fn or numlock to use arrows on the numpad.

Have you seen the southpaw keyboard layouts? Those seem like they might work for you. Only problem is that it's basically impossible to find any outside of a GB.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, I had a brainfart and couldn't remember the name of that layout. Thanks!
I was looking at the Kira a while back, and recently the Kira Stealth.

But specifically I'm really looking for a 60+numpad like the Vortex Vibe.

Anywho did you guys know that this was a thing: https://kono.store/collections/keyboard-collection/products/alt71-modular-keyboard
Because, I did not know that this was a thing.

Yeah I'm specifically looking for more boards like the Vortex Vibe. 60% (no function keys) + full tenkey.
I've already got the 96 key and 1800 layouts covered.
I've seen some good ortholinear builds with numpads all over the places like in the middle or on the right, but that's not what I want in this particular board.

I found one GB for a kit from like 3 years ago called the UK78:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90060.0

But I'm having trouble pinning down something current.

Oh there was a GB for something called the Molly a while ago too:
https://thekey.company/products/m0lly

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with my flow of consciousness posts.

I have a Vortex Vibe as my daily driver right now and it‘s good. Nice keycaps with SA profile, solid build quality and the layout is very easy to get used to.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Have you seen the southpaw keyboard layouts? Those seem like they might work for you. Only problem is that it's basically impossible to find any outside of a GB.

Oh yes I have! Many times over several years. That's also on my to-buy list but somehow I always forget to CONSTANTLY check geekhack IC threads specifically for that one thing that only runs for like 3 weeks and then closes.
A keyboard with integrated left-hand numpad is like the ultimate Excel spreadsheet destroyer.

So in all of this searching I just came across a VERY handy website:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com

Pretty neat!

Edit:

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

I have a Vortex Vibe as my daily driver right now and it‘s good. Nice keycaps with SA profile, solid build quality and the layout is very easy to get used to.
Cool, thanks for the input. I'll have to consider one and maybe just make a custom case down the road.

To update the whole "what the gently caress is this layout?" saga:
A lot of people seem to refer to this:

as an "Extended 65"

And Vortex calls the Vibe a 78%

But yeah anywho... the Vibe looks like pretty much EXACTLY what I'm looking for so I guess I'll start there and eventually wing up only using it for the PCB =/

Thanks for sticking with me guys.
As a reward, have this album of things that is EXACTLY what I want but does not exist:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 17, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Dang, the m0lly and the Vienti 8 look almost like what I was looking for a little while ago. I'd want that same 60% + numpad layout, except I need my crazy split spacebar and split right shift

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Really liking the creams! Not a lot to compare to since I've exclusively used cherry red in the past, but the added extra weight to them is super great. It feels like a lot less hair-triggery if that makes sense. And they are super smooth and quiet too, also an improvement compared to the reds. A+ overall

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can anyone recommend a solid, low-profile mechanical keyboard (preferably bluetooth) that is below $100, in white or grey? I'm looking for something to replace this crappy $16 bluetooth keyboard I'm using for my laptop, which works fine, but I want something more satisfying and that doesn't require me to wait to reconnect it every 15 or so minutes when it goes unused.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Verisimilidude posted:

Can anyone recommend a solid, low-profile mechanical keyboard (preferably bluetooth) that is below $100, in white or grey? I'm looking for something to replace this crappy $16 bluetooth keyboard I'm using for my laptop, which works fine, but I want something more satisfying and that doesn't require me to wait to reconnect it every 15 or so minutes when it goes unused.

Keychron K8 is up on kickstarter right now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k8-a-tenkeyless-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

I can't vouch for it as it hasn't materialized but other posters have Keychrons that I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you about.

If you want "low profile" then the K1 might be right up your alley.
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k1-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020

beepsandboops posted:

If you're worried about putting the arrow keys or brackets on another layer (like on the Planck), you could instead get a larger ortholinear board like KPRepublic's xd75re which is a 5x15 grid of keys.

Keep in mind that shipping from China may be quite slow at this time. Also, using a 40% layout is kinda fun once you get over the initial learning curve.

E.: since you mentioned wanting ergonomics without needing to learn a new layout, maybe something like the Quefrency might be preferable. (The Quefrency might need soldering to assemble though)

Personally I've found that splitting the halves of the keyboard has been more beneficial than using an ortholinear layout.

LaughingWallaby fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 18, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So, between yesttterday and ttoday I managed to pour a cup of coffee in my beautiful alt. As you can tel itt's beginning to jitter a bit, so I need a replacement.

Is there a good place to justt shop for keyboards? I tthink for this purpose I wantt 104 key, RGB, USB-C, But I'd like tto just see what's available (thatt I can have shipped to me in the next few weeks)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ is good for browsing but they don't always have stock. But once you find what you want, you can shop around for it.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I'm so close to getting a Ducky SF, but I've heard they've had spotty quality control lately.

Do you guys have any experience with this?

I have a shine 6 that's lasted a few years, but am looking to get a small key board for when I'm working on two different computers.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I'm so close to getting a Ducky SF, but I've heard they've had spotty quality control lately.

I have a shine 6 that's lasted a few years, but am looking to get a small key board for when I'm working on two different computers.

The only thing to note about the SF is that the right shift is a very odd size and it might be hard to find replacement caps for it, if you are into swapping keycaps.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Get a Hades 68 instead, it's a better board in virtually every way including switch options now that they come with PBT caps. The right shift is an odd size but it's becoming easier to find caps for.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Whats the best keycap profile to match chunky old terminal keyboards like you'd find on public computer systems in the 90s that hadn't yet gotten a bunch of subsidized Dells?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Some Goon posted:

Whats the best keycap profile to match chunky old terminal keyboards like you'd find on public computer systems in the 90s that hadn't yet gotten a bunch of subsidized Dells?

If I'm imagining of the right terminals, SA or MT3 profile.

SA profile is easy to find: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=407

MT3 is going to be harder to find. I think it only pops up during Drop offerings? Though they have a set currently being sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DDQQ58

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

.Z. posted:

If I'm imagining of the right terminals, SA or MT3 profile.

SA profile is easy to find: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=407

MT3 is going to be harder to find. I think it only pops up during Drop offerings? Though they have a set currently being sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DDQQ58

MT3 looks close to what I remember from old library terminals, which would explain why I haven't come across it.

SA is appealingly chonky, but I'm pretty (somewhat) sure said library terminal keys weren't quite so large. I'll still probably wind up with a set at some point.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Some Goon posted:

MT3 looks close to what I remember from old library terminals, which would explain why I haven't come across it.

SA is appealingly chonky, but I'm pretty (somewhat) sure said library terminal keys weren't quite so large. I'll still probably wind up with a set at some point.

I love SA, with MT3 possibly becoming my next favorite.

If SA is too tall, though, maybe KAT will strike your fancy. It's possibly even more rare than MT3, though, being only available in group buy pre-orders or secondhand. KAM is the unsculpted variant of KAT, i.e. each row of keys is uniform.

Then there's this one ADA profile keycap set that really reminds me of old terminals: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=796

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I love SA, with MT3 possibly becoming my next favorite.

If SA is too tall, though, maybe KAT will strike your fancy. It's possibly even more rare than MT3, though, being only available in group buy pre-orders or secondhand. KAM is the unsculpted variant of KAT, i.e. each row of keys is uniform.

Then there's this one ADA profile keycap set that really reminds me of old terminals: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=796

I think MT3 is more rare at this point vs KAT. There's been a different KAT profile GB like every single month this year. MT3 seems to popup once in a blue moon.

KAT Explosion is the current active one for any Konosuba fans: https://cannonkeys.com/collections/group-buy/products/gb-kat-explosion

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I'd like to get a wired 104 key with some heavy tactile switches. I'll probably use it forever, so a durable model is ideal.

What's the difference between the wasd V3, Leopold 900R, or Ducky One 2 keyboards other than a ~$50-100 swing in price?

(I did like the WASD 67g Zealios, but they're $50 more than WASD MX Clears.)

Are there other keyboards I should be looking at?

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

SoftNum posted:

Not really. Xahlee (http://xahlee.info/kbd/diy_keyboards_index.html) has a good number of keyboards listed.

For smaller hands you may want to check out an ergotravel or corne/helidox. A corne/helidox is probably easier to buy but they're both easy to build.

EDIT: I've never used them myself but also check out the Gergo or GergoPlex boards. The designer is active on keeb Discords and the designs are very solid (and minimalist). I'd probably be using a Gergo board if I didn't already design my own.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Two questions:

1: How do you suggest someone get an idea of what switches they might like in the world of Covid where we can't just touch keyboards in a store?
2: Is there a resource where you can go "I want a keyboard with X features, Y features, etc?" outside of asking here or Reddit? I see the mechanical keyboards vendor linked above, but they don't include things like "has a Num/scroll lock indicator light" in their search as far as I can tell.