Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i like this show. it's the type of fast paced dense humor that i love that's usually canceled in the first season.
"take my hat, it's cuuuuuuuuu..."
"'yes it is cool' i thought."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My husband tried to get me to watch the movie and I told him several times that the premise sounded stupid and yet here I am, a pathetic nerd who would probably cry tears of joy getting to meet anyone working on either the movie or the series.

So yeah watch the movie, watch the shorts, bask in the glory that is this incredibly stupid premise and how well they have managed to pull it off.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The movie and the show are both wonderful, but if I had to pick I would say I love the tv show more just because there's more of it and thus has even more jokes and other cool stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

i like this show. it's the type of fast paced dense humor that i love that's usually canceled in the first season.
"take my hat, it's cuuuuuuuuu..."
"'yes it is cool' i thought."

FX(X) is good about this, it seems. Archer apparently didn't have great ratings starting out but they kept it around long enough to build an audience.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't he also win an Oscar (or was nominated?) for a song he produced for a movie?

Edit: Yeah he won Best Original song, that's not bad!

Jemaine really not pulling his weight with Bret and Taika both being Oscar winners now. I have faith though that his time will come.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't he also win an Oscar (or was nominated?) for a song he produced for a movie?

Edit: Yeah he won Best Original song, that's not bad!

He has got it going on!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Teek posted:

Jemaine really not pulling his weight with Bret and Taika both being Oscar winners now. I have faith though that his time will come.

Extremely tangentially related to this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKPnb5MoRs

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Have people seen the original short film What We Do In The Shadows: Interviews With Some Vampires?

Really cool seeing how they've developed since 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB4ERbk0EVY

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's fun but it's interesting how low-energy the whole thing is compared to what came after. I think it's biggest issue is that the characters aren't particularly differentiated from each other yet, so it ends up being fairly flat. Still, it's better to have more of this universe.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just finished both seasons. It's so good. Really too much to unpack and list so I'll just say that Laszlo's need to say "poo poo... BAT!" and his pronunciation of everything are the best parts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The show's characters are the best part because the best character changes constantly

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Just finished both seasons. It's so good. Really too much to unpack and list so I'll just say that Laszlo's need to say "poo poo... BAT!" and his pronunciation of everything are the best parts.

his “it’s loving massive” when describing America is perfect

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Milo and POTUS posted:

The show's characters are the best part because the best character changes constantly

it’s this

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the escape goat posted:

his “it’s loving massive” when describing America is perfect

*Cough cough* a-no-ya-fuckin-didnt

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milo and POTUS posted:

The best character is whichever character is currently on screen.

I've been rewatching the series from the beginning and one adorable character trait I somehow didn't pick up on the first time through is Nander's love of all animals.

"Careful of the spider house Guilermo! You wouldn't like it if a spider messed up your house!" :3: and then in Animal Control he gets genuinely upset and offended when Colin Robinson suggests he might have eaten a cat.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The best character is whichever character is currently on screen.

I've been rewatching the series from the beginning and one adorable character trait I somehow didn't pick up on the first time through is Nander's love of all animals.

"Careful of the spider house Guilermo! You wouldn't like it if a spider messed up your house!" :3: and then in Animal Control he gets genuinely upset and offended when Colin Robinson suggests he might have eaten a cat.

Plus his reaction to the Witches' familiar - "Oh hey, there is a goat here! Hello Mister Goat!"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My only real problem with this show is their use of CGI. I don't know if it's due to the budget or what, but for the most part the movie used practical effects and it worked so much better than most of the effects they do on this show. Obviously it's needed for scenes like the one with the troll and that was fine, but like this episode had Colin Robinson slipping on blood and they used an incredibly bad looking green screen shot for some reason??

It's not a huge deal, but it pulls me out of the show whenever it happens. Like the gag earlier in the season where Laszlo is bouncing around on cars might have been the lowest point because it just looked so, so bad.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hakkesshu posted:

My only real problem with this show is their use of CGI. I don't know if it's due to the budget or what, but for the most part the movie used practical effects and it worked so much better than most of the effects they do on this show. Obviously it's needed for scenes like the one with the troll and that was fine, but like this episode had Colin Robinson slipping on blood and they used an incredibly bad looking green screen shot for some reason??

It's not a huge deal, but it pulls me out of the show whenever it happens. Like the gag earlier in the season where Laszlo is bouncing around on cars might have been the lowest point because it just looked so, so bad.

I give it massive leeway because it's a TV show and some scenes really aren't bad since I imagine it does not have big budgets... but that car scene was terrible and was only partially saved by Laszlo's voice. I mean danggggg.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean the production values are solid outside of the occasionally spotty effect, but it's clearly a fairly low-budget show overall. I'd imagine they're generally able to keep costs down by using the house as the primary location, but if they have to cheap out on an effect or two here and there to do a more ambitious gag I'm fine with that. I'd rather have them go for it and have it look a bit cartoony than to have them cut a joke for being beyond their scope.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Presumably they saved money by rebuilding the house and yard on a soundstage so they no longer have to shoot on location.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Oh man I thought there was only 8 episodes this season and now I get to watch two more tonight!

Thanks Something Awful thread!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Another Bill posted:

Oh man I thought there was only 8 episodes this season and now I get to watch two more tonight!

Thanks Something Awful thread!

you made me think there were more episodes. I hate you

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A land of contrasts

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of contrasts. Since I watched all of season 1 on my computer I was just using the hulu.com interface and couldn't figure out why it never seemed to load past a really bad SD feed.

Apparently Hulu restricts the browser stream to be lovely so that people can't use adblockers and drive traffic to streaming devices? Oof.

It wasn't until Season 2 that I just installed the Hulu app from the windows store and it was soooo much better.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I agree, mainly because it pulls me out of the down to Earth feeling you get from the documentary style filming. Like I enjoyed the troll character, but he looked more like something from The Good Place than this universe.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nandor might be my favourite character. The way he switches from nasal, neurotic, and fussy to intimidating is great, and feels appropriate for a medieval warlord who now lives with roommates. His whole vibe is amazing, yet I feel like he's almost the least developed of the main cast. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on even footing with Guillermo next season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nandor trying to give a big dramatic speech after killing Topher, only for the undead Topher to keep popping back up and Nandor having to restart each time, was great.

Almost as great as Nadja telling the story about Nandor delivering a badass evil warlord speech from a clifftop but being too far away for what he was saying to actually be heard.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Jermaine just needs to do another song or two with Disney and he'll get his Oscar.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Jerusalem posted:

Almost as great as Nadja telling the story about Nandor delivering a badass evil warlord speech from a clifftop but being too far away for what he was saying to actually be heard.

Wasn't it also a particularly windy day or something too? I seem to remember there being an added detail like that in that bit that really nailed it for me.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of contrasts. Since I watched all of season 1 on my computer I was just using the hulu.com interface and couldn't figure out why it never seemed to load past a really bad SD feed.

Apparently Hulu restricts the browser stream to be lovely so that people can't use adblockers and drive traffic to streaming devices? Oof.

It wasn't until Season 2 that I just installed the Hulu app from the windows store and it was soooo much better.
I did not realize that. I watched a few shows in lovely res on Hulu and ended up just pirating them because I didn't realize what was going on :shrug:

I guess I'll install the Hulu app

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

beepsandboops posted:

I did not realize that. I watched a few shows in lovely res on Hulu and ended up just pirating them because I didn't realize what was going on :shrug:

I guess I'll install the Hulu app

Yeah it's really lovely. I mean I get it in theory... But I'm an ad-free level paying subscriber. It doesn't even apply.

Also some people said that the Windows Store app was only marginally better and that dedicated streaming apps are even better but I compared the two and they seemed comparable. At least with Shadows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1273378586309746688?s=20

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The fact that Flight of the Conchords debuted 13 years ago really makes me feel old.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I went back and watched some Flight of the Conchords episodes recently and was surprised at how dated it felt. The comedy is still brilliant, but the production values are a lot worse than I remembered—and not in an intentional lo-fi indie kind of way. I guess they had to stretch the budget because the musical sequences were often so elaborate, but it leaves the rest of the show feeling a bit closer to a student film than felt flattering. Season 2 feels a bit sharper, but it's also not quite as tight as the first.

Plus the gay panic humor really doesn't hold up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember at the time really not liking season 2 as much as season 1. Not sure I've ever gone back and rewatched it, but every once in a while I'll go back to the first one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that was the consensus about both the second season and the second album at the time. I think the second album actually holds up a bit better than the first because of its additional musical variety and its lackadaisical attitude, but the second season isn't quite as inventive as the first and occasionally feels like they're trying a bit too hard to recapture the magic. But in retrospect I think on average it's just about as good as the first—it's just that fans of the time were absorbing both new songs and a new season at the same time which made it difficult to parse and separate.

I should revisit the Conchords BBC radio show sometime, though. I wonder how much that holds up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I mean the production values are solid outside of the occasionally spotty effect, but it's clearly a fairly low-budget show overall. I'd imagine they're generally able to keep costs down by using the house as the primary location, but if they have to cheap out on an effect or two here and there to do a more ambitious gag I'm fine with that. I'd rather have them go for it and have it look a bit cartoony than to have them cut a joke for being beyond their scope.

They probably blew their budget on that skype call with Wesley Snipes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really hope they got Snipes via his Cameo for $500. The footage certainly looks like it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe with Flight of the Conchords, they basically mined a decade+ of their live gigs for the first season, then realized,"gently caress, now we have to come up with an entirely new season's worth of material in like 3 months!", which is also why they declined to do a third season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jerusalem posted:

I believe with Flight of the Conchords, they basically mined a decade+ of their live gigs for the first season, then realized,"gently caress, now we have to come up with an entirely new season's worth of material in like 3 months!", which is also why they declined to do a third season?

Yeah that's what exactly what happened. I did enjoy the songs that they gave to more of the side characters in the second season.