Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hadlock posted:

At least with FPS shooters you have ground, which allows for a map. Space battles might have a blurry planet in the background, and, I guess this one might actually have an asteroid field, but there's not a lot there to create variation besides how many and how far apart the capital ships are.

Eh, Battlefront 2 did a good job with space "maps". Use bigass stations, huge capital ships, and debris as "terrain" with the occasional planetside map. Only one of the six maps felt like it was really just "open space" and that was D'Qar. If they're smart they can do the same thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The one thing I didn’t like about house of dying sun was the lack of proper HOTAS support. It felt so arcadey and gimmicky playing in VR with a controller.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Btw all I read when I see that acronym is HOT rear end

so yall keep playin with yours

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

House is also goon created which is cool. The dev was really active on his thread when making it.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

Tie Fighter was maybe my favorite game of all time as a kid, so against my better judgement I'm getting excited for this based on the trailer.

That was one of the first things i notice, the attention on it as they increased engine power, and the arrow keys making it look pretty certain as dpad controls for it.

(classic x-wing, you can see the same colors even being used)

Then when you see the TIE interceptor's cockpit, just as it should be, it only has engine and laser levels, no shield. :swoon:
Also the beautiful target display showing the targets health and distance it looks like.

(SNIP)

If you count up the pips of energy on the X-Wing and TIE fighters ELS displays you get 12 in both cases...

and

so it seem that the TIE has more to use in both Engines and Lasers due to it not having any shields....

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

this looks cool but only if the controls are good. SWBF2 has such garbage flight controls it ruined the spaceship mode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hhhat posted:

I share in everyone's skepticism but at *least* based on the way they've approached the announcement and what they've shown so far, there's an indication that someone in charge is trying to fix their PR and has heard some complaints

Remains to be seen what that translates into but still, this is one of the few games on my dream list - X wing in VR - so they got me. Battlefront was fun for *a bit* so I don't regret the purchase, but it didn't have legs

I'm a weirdo with games, I just play one until I get tired of it, and despite everything wrong with Overwatch I haven't stopped playing it

I don't really like 5v5 for that reason though, but single player old school classic missions? sign me the gently caress up

It's a game that's supposed to release in October and yet the teaser trailer wasn't followed up immediately with someone talking about actual gameplay.

The way they are presenting this is a classic attempt to balance hype with not letting anyone ask too many questions about how much fun this all actually is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's a game that's supposed to release in October and yet the teaser trailer wasn't followed up immediately with someone talking about actual gameplay.

The way they are presenting this is a classic attempt to balance hype with not letting anyone ask too many questions about how much fun this all actually is.

Gameplay being shown on Thursday at some EA event. I think this was just to get ahead of it since there was that leak.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Philman posted:

this looks cool but only if the controls are good. SWBF2 has such garbage flight controls it ruined the spaceship mode.

They will be exactly the same as bf2. source: my uncle is the golden guy from the lucasarts logo.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

George H.W. oval office posted:

House is also goon created which is cool. The dev was really active on his thread when making it.

That's cool. I wonder what they are up to now..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

They will be exactly the same as bf2. source: my uncle is the golden guy from the lucasarts logo.

He had a rough time in the 90s taking all that abuse from roving Starfighter a and walkers.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Philman posted:

Really? I thought they were better than BF's default controls once you got used to the mouse aim.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

StarBegotten posted:

If you count up the pips of energy on the X-Wing and TIE fighters ELS displays you get 12 in both cases...
so it seem that the TIE has more to use in both Engines and Lasers due to it not having any shields....

Nice catch, makes sense on how they'll balance tie fighters without any shields.

Philman posted:

Considering the emphasis on in-cockpit control only, and advertising stuff like HOTAS support, I have to think (or at least pray) they'd be updating the flight controls from BF2's super arcade 3rd person ones.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Apparently there is a upgrade of X-Wing Alliance in progress as well (fan made):
https://xwaupgrade.com/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope that the Victory Star Destroyer makes a reappearance in the game. I love how it has the big missile pods on its dividing trench that would spray concussion missiles in the old games.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Star destroyers shouldn't be able to enter atmosphere. This is a hill I will die on

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

taco_fox posted:

Star destroyers shouldn't be able to enter atmosphere. This is a hill I will die on

Rogue One must drive you crazy. Or Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with acclamators and venators having landing struts.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

One of the devs confirmed that Squadrons will have full HOTAS flight control support.

that is cool and good

cannot wait to get brutally owned over and over again by reystomper69420

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Symetrique posted:

Really? I thought they were better than BF's default controls once you got used to the mouse aim.

I dont think you can roll in that game and the mouse aim rolled your spaceship. so I was rolling when i didnt want to and not rolling when i wanted to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rogue One must drive you crazy. Or Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith with acclamators and venators having landing struts.

Rise of Skywalker also has one in the atmosphere .

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still have my old Logitech stick. I better calibrate it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Going by the old lore it's specifically Imperial-class Star Destroyers and up, due to size. They're effectively twice the length of a Victory and half again as long as a Venator, and the mass difference is obviously far more than that. So it was more a matter of at some point they're exceeding the tech limitations for reasonably operating it in-atmo, rather than it being impossible period. There's still the exception of Lusankya, but I'd guess people like to ignore that due to just how many other dumb issues come up when considering that.

I don't particularly care about this, but even if you're annoyed about it the lore issue was never EVERY star destroyer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rise of Skywalker also has several thousand in the atmosphere .

Ftfy.

Besides, I agree that it looks odd. It's just aping JJ Abrams obsession with things rising out of obscurity in his shots.

I mean I was irrationally angry at post 2009 Star Trek insisting that all Starfleet vessels are built on the loving ground when Utopia Planitia is a giant shipyard in Martian orbit. But then loving Picard made the entire Utopia Planitia shipyard be on the surface for some stupid reason.

So it can apply to star wars too.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 16, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The less said about the ending sequence entirety of RoS, the better.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Really hope it also has HOTAS and pedal support. Elite Dangerous just doesn’t cut it compared to this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ftfy.

Besides, I agree that it looks odd. It's just along JJ Abrams obsession with things rising out of obscurity in his shots.

loving lol I completely forgot about those. I was referring to the one over the planet with character of the year Babu Frick where Rey and Ben have their dumb fight then she jumps off to the Falcon.

What a loving terrible movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How could you forget Palpatine using bass boosted force lightning and the epic most biggest best final battle ever??????

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also for the criticism of EA, Fallen Jedi was a solid game.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Besides, I agree that it looks odd. It's just aping JJ Abrams obsession with things rising out of obscurity in his shots.

He relies on the same gimmicks over and over like he's the Thomas Kincade of movies

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Claeaus posted:

Apparently there is a upgrade of X-Wing Alliance in progress as well (fan made):

Oh wow I opened this on mobile and when you scroll, the page breaks apart like it was built with frames in html :haw:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I’m very excited to die a lot in my flying box.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Philman posted:

Given that it's specifically first-person and that they're specifically pointing out that there'll be power management, I think odds are reasonably good that they'll also be modelling the controls on the X-Wing series and this won't be another Rogue Squadron.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

LucasArts went belly-up years ago buddy, so your uncle knows nothing.

Claeaus posted:

"In progress" is a bit of a misnomer, I feel. XWA Upgrade's been around for some two decades now I think, and all the assets just keep getting renewed as the years go by.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or, like, Cloud City.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Going by the old lore it's specifically Imperial-class Star Destroyers and up, due to size. They're effectively twice the length of a Victory and half again as long as a Venator, and the mass difference is obviously far more than that. So it was more a matter of at some point they're exceeding the tech limitations for reasonably operating it in-atmo, rather than it being impossible period. There's still the exception of Lusankya, but I'd guess people like to ignore that due to just how many other dumb issues come up when considering that.

I don't particularly care about this, but even if you're annoyed about it the lore issue was never EVERY star destroyer.

The Lusankya had a cradle of repulsorlifts that was jettisoned once it got off the planet :eng101:

And yes, all those other things referenced were smaller than star destroyers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope that we get to take off from launch racks as a Tie Fighter. That was always really cool when you got to pick your loadout in Tie Fighter and then watch the launch sequence.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Show me your racks, EA!!!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope that we get to take off from launch racks as a Tie Fighter. That was always really cool when you got to pick your loadout in Tie Fighter and then watch the launch sequence.

Hoping for a BFV scenario where Ties are deployed from from a Republic cruiser.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Symetrique posted:

Hoping for a BFV scenario where Ties are deployed from from a Republic cruiser.

I was thinking stormtroopers piling out of a U-Wing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chomp8645 posted:

I was thinking stormtroopers piling out of a U-Wing.

*Puts on nerd hat* The U-Wing was developed by Incom prior to its nationalization by the Empire so Stormtroopers using it as a troop transport is canon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Nothing says epic Star Wars space battles like 5v5.