Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Clown’s Song is such a good fit for this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'll have to go over this entire trial once again to confirm for sure, but did Nao try to steer towarda this outcome? It didn't seem like it. Once the final situation arrived she tried to use it out of desperation but before then she quietly carried her cross.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Mindblast posted:

I'll have to go over this entire trial once again to confirm for sure, but did Nao try to steer towarda this outcome? It didn't seem like it. Once the final situation arrived she tried to use it out of desperation but before then she quietly carried her cross.

Yeah, I think that Nao was resigned to her fate once she was outed as the Sacrifice and Gashu did cranial surgery on himself rather than allow everyone a do-over. Nao had no way of knowing that Kanna and Shin would end up with three votes each but the moment that Nao did realize as much is when she decided she'd ask Sara to vote for her in order to guarantee a three-way tie. Without that initial 3/3 split Nao is done like dinner since she can only get three votes at the most by that point (her two votes plus Sara's vote) and Shin or Kanna would have at least four votes.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Jefepato posted:

Honestly, killing half a dozen other people just to save one person's life seems like a far deeper commitment than the average marriage proposal.

It was to save her own skin, though. I guess we had prior notice that Nao gets really attached by her treatment of Mishimas's detached head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wologar posted:

It was to save her own skin, though. I guess we had prior notice that Nao gets really attached by her treatment of Mishimas's detached head.
I don't think this is the kind of experience where they just forget and go on with their lives separately.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

"Why?! Why didn't you choose me?!”

"..........”

"Sara... Before I go... um...”

"...Ehehe... You're warm...”

"Well then... I-I'll... announce the results...”

"...”

"...I see. So this is your answer, Sara...”

"...Nao...”

"It's strange... I couldn't stop shaking from fear...”

"But the moment you decided... that stopped.”

“...”

"I'm glad...”

"Nao...”

"Oh... I forgot to mention. The second card trade... was by me...”

"...”

“So Reko... protected you once, Nao. You were a close friend to Reko. There's no question of that...”

"Thank you very much...”

“I wanted to finish that painting...”

Music stops.

"W... Well then... I-It's time for the execution...”

"W... Wait!!”

• Nao stops Sara whenever Sara tries to push the button. You can't do anything but watch as Nao is slowly crushed.

• Nao's calls to stop Sara pressing the switch become much more laboured as her injuries worsen, but she never gives up.

• Until, just like Joe...

• Sara couldn't help thinking of the first trial victims as being the lucky ones earlier. Maybe she had a point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't tell if Kanna actually won or if Hydro is just showing us all the options.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Shin/Sou "won"; I'm just showing the Kanna vote first.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
That was so sad.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Chatrapati posted:

That was so sad.

Safalin, play "Creeping Terror".

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
This scene is what makes me think that Alice route is the “correct” route, as the thing with Reko appearing at the end is unique to this path, with no equivalent on the Reko path. Really, I find it annoying how you gain no new knowledge or anything from Reko surviving.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh that's right. They're executed at different times. Sou/Shin is going to go nuts.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
So we're 2 for 3 on floor masters having Sara participate in executions (Sue gave Sara the impossible task of saving Joe, Safalin gave Sara a button that would immediately kill Nao but it never got pressed, Safalin did all of the work in the Massacre ending). Sue might've made Sara a part of Kai's execution if he hadn't spoiled Sue's fun and committed suicide.

Gonna hazard a guess that Shin's day is going to get worse when Safalin gets Sara involved with Kanna's execution as well.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020

Falconer posted:

So we're 2 for 3 on floor masters having Sara participate in executions (Sue gave Sara the impossible task of saving Joe, Safalin gave Sara a button that would immediately kill Nao but it never got pressed, Safalin did all of the work in the Massacre ending). Sue might've made Sara a part of Kai's execution if he hadn't spoiled Sue's fun and committed suicide.

Gonna hazard a guess that Shin's day is going to get worse when Safalin gets Sara involved with Kanna's execution as well.

Specifically, Sara has been involved whenever the Sacrifice is executed.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
What a needlessly brutal death. If this is some sort of hosed-up training, what kind of monster is it supposed to turn Sara into?

E: And what sort of risks are they willing to take? AI(?) Sara had, what, a 17% chance of survival? They put this whole thing together with a 5/6 chance that they'd end up killing their prodigy?

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 17, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
...The button just makes the crusher go a little faster, doesn't it?

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020

David Corbett posted:

What a needlessly brutal death. If this is some sort of hosed-up training, what kind of monster is it supposed to turn Sara into?

E: And what sort of risks are they willing to take? AI(?) Sara had, what, a 17% chance of survival? They put this whole thing together with a 5/6 chance that they'd end up killing their prodigy?

Since the numbers all add up to 100%, we can assume that only the successful Sacrifice counts as “winning” the game, so it’s very plausible that Sara is a very popular person to spare with the Sacrifice, and would thus have a much higher survival rate than victory rate.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tax Evasion posted:

Since the numbers all add up to 100%, we can assume that only the successful Sacrifice counts as “winning” the game, so it’s very plausible that Sara is a very popular person to spare with the Sacrifice, and would thus have a much higher survival rate than victory rate.

Isn't that also assuming the keymaster never gets picked though? Because that's a scenario with no winner.

Maybe, improbably, there's an equal number of Sacrifice and Keymaster wins. Or possibly neither count because they aren't "real" conclusions to the game. Who knows?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tax Evasion posted:

Since the numbers all add up to 100%, we can assume that only the successful Sacrifice counts as “winning” the game
It would also mean that Shin's inevitable stupid gambits when he's actually the Sacrifice literally never work. :allears:

Arzaac posted:

Isn't that also assuming the keymaster never gets picked though? Because that's a scenario with no winner.
Those games might not be counted in the metric, like a mulligan. "In games with a winner, Sara Chidouin won 15.5% of them."

Edit: I wonder if they rounded the percentages, or if they tested the game exactly 1000 times.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 17, 2020

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...The button just makes the crusher go a little faster, doesn't it?

Nah, Safalin said it was instant death and the floor masters aren't allowed to lie. That doesn't make its existence less torturous: Nao has to choose between dying sooner (even if it means one of her friends has to murder her and be scarred by the experience) or dying slowly and painfully, while Sara has to press it quickly or end up with Nao dying slowly like Joe, this time as a result of her inaction. They chose the latter options, which seems like the worse ones, but I don't know if "killing people in order to prevent their suffering, even if it goes against their wishes, is the right choice" is a good idea to plant in Sara's head.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, I can understand Safalin giving Sara the remote. Either way, the group forced Sara to become the murderer (yeah, yeah, Nao could have voted for someone else) and the least Safalin could do to ease Sara's burden is by letting her make it quick and painless. I mean, Nao, you've forced Sara to be a killer with the choice, the least you could is die quickly so Sara at least makes it a mercy killing.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

David Corbett posted:

Presumably the game has to be real or the training doesn't work.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Alternatively, this isn't the only real-life game. They could be raising many other "Sara"s and will repeat until successful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, seems very clear that Sou will indeed, go berserk if we choose Kanna over him. In the end, even if he was an rear end in a top hat, it seemed he did genuinely come to care about her, even over his own life. It's an interesting thing, Sou entered this game in the worst position of anyone, he was aware that he had no chance of winning, his only way to do so, would be to abandon who he was, and assume another identity, the identity of someone who could manipulate and control the other players to survive. But in the end, I guess Shin Tsukimi won out

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

In the end he couldn't escape his better nature. It's tragic and horrible that he gets repaid this way for it, but that's death games for you. :smith:

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I couldn't push the button...

There was no way I could push it...

“Once again... I couldn't protect them...”

“Urghhh... aaaah...!!”

“W... Wait!! Stop it already!! Please, Safalin...!!”

Music stops.

“...That's Gashu's...”

“It's futile. Kanna's execution won't be changing.”

“Ain't you different from Gashu and Miley?!”

“You carried out her execution with such a pained look...!!”

“You don't really want this, do ya?!”

“...........”

“You don't understand, do you...”

“…!!”

“...I'm coming closer.”

“...It was empty, I see.”

“...!!”

“drat yoooooooooooou....!!!”

“...”

“It's fine now...”

“Thank you, everyone...”

“Kanna...!!”

Collar beeps.

“Just now, Human Flower seeds were injected by your necklace through your body.

“Stop, Safalin...!! What are you doing?!”

“Please be at ease... She won't suffer like Miss Nao.”

“Now, they will bloom...”

• That did not sound or look painless.

Kanna... I'm sorry, Kanna...

I...

Music stops.

I searched around, my mind dazed. I couldn't save Nao, or Kanna.

I don't want to look at that reality anymore. For now... I'll look for Sou...

Some sort of premonition is calling me.

Investigate the monitor.

The screen is glowing.

"I wonder what it is...”

I gazed at the screen absentmindedly.

“...Eh...?””

Is this some kind of joke again...? There was a familiar face. The face of my best friend, who I always saw at school.

"...Joe...”

Inconceivable... It's another hallucination. I've finally broken down.

But that doesn't matter to me right now."

"Joe...!! Is that you, Joe?!”

"Yep. So, looks like you've been well!”

Music stops.

“...Eh...?”

I should... have understood this. This was a hallucination... a false Joe I created.

"W... Wait... I...”

I shouldn't... respond to it.

"Lemme hear it! Who'd you kill this time?”

"You're wrong...!! I didn't kill...!!”

Gotta ignore it...

"...You voted, didn't you? You sacrificed someone weaker than you to survive.”

"No...! That's wrong, Joe!! I mean...!!”

This... isn't Joe...!!

"Sara... You've really changed.”

"Pant... pant... gasp...!!”

I can't breathe...

"What's your excuse for this time, Sara?”

"You... aren't Joe!! Don't show yourself to me! Please...!! Just give me a break... Forgive me...!”

"..........”

"You know how much I suffered? ...I'll show you once more.”

"...Eh...?”

“Keiji...”

"Big sis Sara!! You came to, meow!”

“I...?”

"You were passed out in the Room of Rubble.”

"In front of that video...”

"Sara... Don't worry about anything it said.”

".....”

What are they talking about...?

Music stops.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That went roughly as expected. Sparing Sou does not give us a logical ally, it gives us someone that already hated Sara, now with even more hatred. It was a blatantly wrong choice and I'm glad we didn't go for it.

The fake AI Joe was not expected though, and I don't think Sou could've pulled that one out so quickly, so this is likely from whatever Floor Master we meet next, if not Safalin herself. Safalin's bad attempts at looking kind completely broke down here too, not like I trusted her after the mind-mushing bad end.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's kind of funny to see Q-Taro now and compare it to him killing everyone to escape.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Blaze Dragon posted:

That went roughly as expected. Sparing Sou does not give us a logical ally, it gives us someone that already hated Sara, now with even more hatred. It was a blatantly wrong choice and I'm glad we didn't go for it.

The fake AI Joe was not expected though, and I don't think Sou could've pulled that one out so quickly, so this is likely from whatever Floor Master we meet next, if not Safalin herself. Safalin's bad attempts at looking kind completely broke down here too, not like I trusted her after the mind-mushing bad end.

Eh, you could say she wanted to be shot and was disappointed that the gun was empty.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
All her actions have been sadistic: preying on the mind-wiped Sara, giving Rio a sense of empathy before he died for good, lying about Kanna's execution...
Safalin's gimmick is "being sad." People mistook this for her feeling remorse, instead of just being part of her gimmick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StillFullyTerrible posted:

All her actions have been sadistic: preying on the mind-wiped Sara, giving Rio a sense of empathy before he died for good, lying about Kanna's execution...
Safalin's gimmick is "being sad." People mistook this for her feeling remorse, instead of just being part of her gimmick.

She seems to honestly believe she's helping people, she lacks the ability to understand that what she's doing is wrong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Yeah, I don't think Safallin is human in a way of being able to be empathetic, she is, as she states, our enemy and always has been. she helped us because that's what she was ordered to do, not out of an empathic desire to understand our situation. If you ordered her to give us all cake she'd still be teary about it.

EDIT: I just had a thought, that was, what if Keiji is working for the villains. It's a long short theory, but when I think about the First Trials we're aware of, Keiji's is one of the only ones that didn't put HIM in any danger. He was instead, given the choice to execute his superior officer. That could have been like a test, to see if he was willing to take on the role as a mole within the players (That we have no reason to believe exists). It might also explain why he cares so deeply for Sara, like it's one thing to elect her leader, but he's beyond anything willing to keep her safe and alive, excluding the Sacrifice moment, then again, I doubt if he was being tested at the start, he wanted to die.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 19, 2020

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Onmi posted:

when I think about the First Trials we're aware of, Keiji's is one of the only ones that didn't put HIM in any danger.

It's possible it was something like Joe and Sara's First Trial. Both Joe and Sara were strapped to the murder beds at first, but Joe found the key in his pocket. Keiji might have been in danger, freed himself and then been in a position to help Megumi, just as Joe found himself in a position to help Sara.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rith posted:

It's possible it was something like Joe and Sara's First Trial. Both Joe and Sara were strapped to the murder beds at first, but Joe found the key in his pocket. Keiji might have been in danger, freed himself and then been in a position to help Megumi, just as Joe found himself in a position to help Sara.

Speaking of, isn't the setup of the first trial for Sara and Joe kind of weird? Joe was a tagalong. Of the four tagalongs we're familiar with, three had the same trial, but while Kugie and Nao were the ones that needed to be saved by the actual candidate (who was in little danger), Sara was left at the mercy of Joe being able to solve the puzzle.
Despite the fact that Sara is ostensibly the most important participant, and Joe is a relative unknown? Why risk it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Speaking of, isn't the setup of the first trial for Sara and Joe kind of weird? Joe was a tagalong. Of the four tagalongs we're familiar with, three had the same trial, but while Kugie and Nao were the ones that needed to be saved by the actual candidate (who was in little danger), Sara was left at the mercy of Joe being able to solve the puzzle.
Despite the fact that Sara is ostensibly the most important participant, and Joe is a relative unknown? Why risk it?

Perhaps for the same reason Sara's been involved with the Sacrifices, to 'harden' her. Or perhaps to make her work for her 15% victory chance.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Tenebrais posted:

iirc, according to Mishima, Nao was the one who saved him. Also, while I'm not sure how it'd work, I think the announcer voice said that they would choose who would solve the puzzle to rescue the other. It's been a while, though.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

mycelia posted:

I'm not going to vote, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Keiji, OP. I couldn't quite get a grasp on him through 2-2.

I think Keiji may have somehow put the idea of taking Sara's Sacrifice into Kanna's head.

When Sara first gets the Sacrifice, Keiji is sweating when he tries to comfort her.

It's possible that like Kanna, Keiji guessed that Sara had become the Sacrifice by Sara's reaction; he's also still the Sage at this point, and could easily confirm that Sara was no longer the Keymaster.

Keiji and Kanna can later be seen together in the Ruined Corridor:

When Sara asks Keiji to go to the Lobby for their escape plan, Keiji replies that he'll go as soon as he's done whatever it is he's doing.

Sara notes that Keiji is "kinda in high spirits" ahead of the preliminary vote (which confirmed Sara wasn't the Sacrifice):

Keiji is then very quick to try dissuade the others from discussing the fifth trade:

HydroSphere posted:

"You're exactly right. There are still mysteries remaining. In the fifth trade... Why did someone trade for the Sacrifice I had? And the other party was a Commoner... This isn't a problem we can ignore!”

“If by any chance we pick the Sacrifice... We're done for, y'know...”

“Keiji...?”

“No... We can't do that, Keiji!! As long as we have time... We should seek the truth!!”

“..........”

That said, Keiji is the first person to ask Kanna if she took the Sacrifice:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Tenebrais posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe was, like Kai, planted in Sara's life for the purposes of the death game but came to genuinely care for her over time. We already know that the Floor Masters aren't a monolith, so it seems reasonable that there might be different factions with conflicting plans for her. And, unless the reveal has completely slipped my mind, we still don't know exactly what Joe and Kai were discussing in secret during the first round.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
Hmmm. Perhaps Keiji thought that Kanna and Sou were best gotten rid of together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
That's a very interesting read on Keiji I hadn't really considered, it definitely makes sense considering I was thinking it seemed uncharacteristically dumb for Keiji to not even want to talk about the Sacrifice; if he was 100% sure Kanna traded it, he would be certain that Sou would be safe to vote for.

Besides, he ended up voting for Kanna. He's clearly okay with letting her die in favour of Sara's life or whatever the gently caress he saw in Sou.