Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what would be interesting is seeing how various governments would hafta tackle traffic enforcement without patrol cops. it'd be cameras everywhere i think

Or just have traffic patrol cops but don't give them guns or give them the power to enforce warrants or do contraband searches. There is absolutely no reason traffic stops are for anything other than traffic violations except that cops literally cannot solve any crimes ever but if they pull over enough people maybe they'll luck into solving something or being able to pretend they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

Cop procedural television shows have convinced everyone that police solve crimes all day when in reality that isn't even a part of their job.

yeppp

for even kinda big cities it's around 25%, and that's just cases that end in "identification of a suspect" and maybe an arrest. and they play around with the numbers to even get it that high. basically you can probably get away with murder, or really any crime that isn't just stealing a rich guy's money

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wtf thats bullshit traffic cops solve the city budget issue every year :rolleyes:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Agile Vector posted:

wtf thats bullshit traffic cops solve the city budget issue every year :rolleyes:

I used to watch public access local municipal budget meetings on tv in the background and I still distinctly remember some councilman asked some city accountant why they couldn't increase the amount of money they were getting from traffic tickets. The accountant was like "well this is just an estimate based on previous years, an increase in compliance could also end up lowering the amount so you shouldn't rely on it too much." Like, why did he have to explain that? It's criminal that traffic fines don't all get used to give financial assistance to pedestrians killed by motorists or something. There shouldn't be an incentive to just write more tickets uncorrelated to compliance.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
politicians are often stupid as gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

Or just have traffic patrol cops but don't give them guns or give them the power to enforce warrants or do contraband searches. There is absolutely no reason traffic stops are for anything other than traffic violations except that cops literally cannot solve any crimes ever but if they pull over enough people maybe they'll luck into solving something or being able to pretend they did.

disarming the cops absolutely has to happen, but lol the howling you'd hear about it. i bet they'd all quit

i once had a project kickoff meeting for roadway safety improvements out in this extremely rural parish, like they were so poor that they didn't really even have a local government, which is a thing in some places in louisiana

anyway, so the meeting is at this newish little office building that the cops are sharing with the department of homeland security. and one of the DOH guys in charge is there in the conference room along with the sheriff, since their offices were all there i guess. they're both these older fat guys, and they both are wearing just office clothes, but of course also sporting their gun belts, because it's super important to be armed at all times during your regularass office day. who knows what could happen at this meeting about rail crossing improvements, poo poo might go down you never know

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

President Beep posted:

politicians are often stupid as gently caress

I've been getting very active in local politics and yeah it's real bad

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its funny that we have more paramilitaries running around with guns all the time than our actually military does

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

unfortunately a lot of people get into local politics because they think they have the secret simple answers and then all they do is grandstand without getting anything done, or worse yet they become obstructionist. good luck to you. it’s something i will never get involved in.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stereotype posted:

I used to watch public access local municipal budget meetings on tv in the background and I still distinctly remember some councilman asked some city accountant why they couldn't increase the amount of money they were getting from traffic tickets. The accountant was like "well this is just an estimate based on previous years, an increase in compliance could also end up lowering the amount so you shouldn't rely on it too much." Like, why did he have to explain that? It's criminal that traffic fines don't all get used to give financial assistance to pedestrians killed by motorists or something. There shouldn't be an incentive to just write more tickets uncorrelated to compliance.

yikes! thats like, sheesh

Stereotype posted:

its really true especially at the local level. im not quite to the point where id want to be involved directly but im getting there every day. i was off and on in my old town and it feels good but also a bit tiring, good luck!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i know i've told this story before, but it's a pretty good example of how useless cops can be. one late night my girlfriend had her car stolen in front of a bar. we reported it that night. the next day we waited and waited to hear from them and then went out to look for ourselves. at about 11:30 am we found it in an empty parking lot less than a block away from where it was stolen. we called the police and said we found it, so they sent out an officer to meet us. a half hour later, this motherfucker drove right past us while we were waving and yelling at him. he eventually turned around and came back, glanced at the car, and i guess that was the whole investigation. tax dollars at work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

i know i've told this story before, but it's a pretty good example of how useless cops can be. one late night my girlfriend had her car stolen in front of a bar. we reported it that night. the next day we waited and waited to hear from them and then went out to look for ourselves. at about 11:30 am we found it in an empty parking lot less than a block away from where it was stolen. we called the police and said we found it, so they sent out an officer to meet us. a half hour later, this motherfucker drove right past us while we were waving and yelling at him. he eventually turned around and came back, glanced at the car, and i guess that was the whole investigation. tax dollars at work.
You're lucky he didn't slash your tires and shoot you.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had to go to the police station to file the report for a hit and run on my car otherwise the cops weren't going to care

a cop didn't even do it, it was like some office worker

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

locally, almost every recovered stolen car that I'm aware of has been because the owner of the car went out looking for it and called the cops when they found it

the only case where that's not true is an incident where they were doing a drug raid and we like 'oh hey, this guy has 20 cars on his lot, maybe we should run the vins'

the cars were not hidden in any way

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as far as I know the SOP for stolen cars is "we flag this car as stolen in our database" and then maybe someone patrolling will accidentally find it when they run the number for whatever reason

there is no active hunting for them, so yeah looking for yourself will probably get faster results

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
obviously its completely defeated if the thieves can swap plates in a convincing manner or just sell the car to a less then reputable salvager or sell the car in another state

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

as far as I know the SOP for stolen cars is "we flag this car as stolen in our database" and then maybe someone patrolling will accidentally find it when they run the number for whatever reason

there is no active hunting for them, so yeah looking for yourself will probably get faster results
Considering all the automated license plate scanners, they could probably find the cars very quickly with no effort if they actually have a poo poo.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they have to use them to aid in their actual job of terrorizing non-whites, no time for criminal interventions

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Jonny 290 posted:

i had five Fayetteville cop cars surround me and a total of about 1800 pounds of bacon came lumbering out of their cars screaming and pointing handguns at me because I was walking down the railroad tracks in the middle of town to get to work at 9:30 on a Saturday morning.

3: it's also the only state where radar detectors are illegal.

fort smith cops got me evicted after a robbery :blessed:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i got hit by a car on my motorcycle the EMTs fully treated and released me and said "Uhh if you wanna wait for Denver PD it's a four hour wait, or you can just go home and stop by the police station within 30 days".

I sat there on the curb for two hours waiting for my ride, watching a couple of beat pigs sitting in their Explorer on the sidewalk on the street corner 75 feet away hooting at hot drunk girls. Then I went home.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can't really abolish the police because sometimes a murder does need to be investigated, but that is such a vanishingly small part of what the police do, most of which is unnecessary harassment that doesn't make us any safer, that you can totally defund the police to the tune of like 90% and america will only get better as a result

The police murder 1000 people a year, how many do their murder investigations prevent?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Stereotype posted:

They don't even have to get out of the car or even stop. See someone speeding or whatever -> roll up behind them -> note the tag -> drive past and snap a pic of the driver. No cars have to stop, no one in danger, ticket in the mail.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The people who are most against abolishing the police have never actually had to interact with them in any way and and are shrieking about law and order because of what they learned from cheap television dramas they only vaguely remember. If you've ever had to interact with the police you are at worst fine with abolishing them and at best militantly enthusiastic about abolishing them.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I had to go to the police station to file the report for a hit and run on my car otherwise the cops weren't going to care

a cop didn't even do it, it was like some office worker

In Cleveland the police will not come out for an accident if both vehicles are operable. You have to do to the precinct yourself to file a report.

Buddy got rear ended once by someone who was eating cereal instead of paying attention to the road (they literally had cereal all over themselves). Cop was right on the scene and had to apologize when he realized they where one street over and in Cleveland instead of Lakewood and not in his jurisdiction and therefore couldn't file a report.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RZA Encryption posted:

They don't even have to get out of the car or even stop. See someone speeding or whatever -> roll up behind them -> note the tag -> drive past and snap a pic of the driver. No cars have to stop, no one in danger, ticket in the mail.

in a lot of places in canada we have photo radar

they set it up, it takes a picture if you speed by, you get your ticket in the mail a few days later

you don't get points on your license because they don't verify who is actually driving but it's a lot less dangerous overall

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

The people who are most against abolishing the police have never actually had to interact with them in any way and and are shrieking about law and order because of what they learned from cheap television dramas they only vaguely remember. If you've ever had to interact with the police you are at worst fine with abolishing them and at best militantly enthusiastic about abolishing them.

at one of the BLM protests i went to i saw a sign that read

ABOLISH THE POLICE
is the goal

DEFUND THE POLICE
is a strategy

gently caress THE POLICE
is the attitude

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

in a lot of places in canada we have photo radar

they set it up, it takes a picture if you speed by, you get your ticket in the mail a few days later

you don't get points on your license because they don't verify who is actually driving but it's a lot less dangerous overall

we have these all over the place lol

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

disarming the cops absolutely has to happen, but lol the howling you'd hear about it. i bet they'd all quit

"nooo, don't give the reformists what they want, or else we'll give the abolitionists what they want"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oops, looks like the coronavirus has gotten out in new zealand

Maybe now the kiwis can quit being so goddamned smug about their "functional government" and "public health system"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

Oops, looks like the coronavirus has gotten out in new zealand

Maybe now the kiwis can quit being so goddamned smug about their "functional government" and "public health system"

more evidence that “no english allowed” is a good policy for the eu, nz, ireland, etc.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
looks like if you're rona free you have to pretty much ban all international travel unless to a nation that is also rona free (and also bans international travel to ronaland)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Really you just have to actually enforce your quarantines instead of letting people skip it just because they really really want to

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mask recommendations is an interesting datapoint. clearly they directly help a bit (the effect seems to be pretty small, but anything better than nothing), but also they make compliance with rules entirely visible to everyone. which can be great if you have a majority in compliance (the remaining few are under social pressure to comply), but bad when compliance is poor, as the clearly visible fact that few people are complying with recommendations discourages everyone.

so without a mask recommendation you may have more success advising distancing in some cases (e.g. potentially much of the us), despite a mask recommendation obviously being excellent for much of asia.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

Really you just have to actually enforce your quarantines instead of letting people skip it just because they really really want to

you should probably even in this situation be happy that you live in a country without the resources to actually police the actions of the entire population simultaneously. despite it putting the pandemic response to a great extent in the arena of personal responsibility.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you should probably even in this situation be happy that you live in a country without the resources to actually police the actions of the entire population simultaneously. despite it putting the pandemic response to a great extent in the arena of personal responsibility.

it's entirely reasonable to enforce a quarantine on people entering the country to minimize the chance of them carrying unknowingly carrying the virus, which is what new zealand does in general except if you ask really nicely

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

mask recommendations is an interesting datapoint. clearly they directly help a bit (the effect seems to be pretty small, but anything better than nothing), but also they make compliance with rules entirely visible to everyone. which can be great if you have a majority in compliance (the remaining few are under social pressure to comply), but bad when compliance is poor, as the clearly visible fact that few people are complying with recommendations discourages everyone.

so without a mask recommendation you may have more success advising distancing in some cases (e.g. potentially much of the us), despite a mask recommendation obviously being excellent for much of asia.

I disagree that the effect seems to be pretty small. Why do you think the effect is small? Places with high mask compliance have overall lower infection rates.

Just wear a mask because it really does help.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I disagree that the effect seems to be pretty small. Why do you think the effect is small? Places with high mask compliance have overall lower infection rates.

actual research has historically struggled to establish a large effect.

Jabor posted:

it's entirely reasonable to enforce a quarantine on people entering the country to minimize the chance of them carrying unknowingly carrying the virus, which is what new zealand does in general except if you ask really nicely

oh yeah, didn't read the post well enough, just closing borders is perfectly doable yeah. i thought you were clamoring for police marching the streets to keep people in their homes, which would help a lot but requires a capability which is a bit scary to have.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 17, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stereotype posted:

A small effect is a big deal since we're talking about exponential stuff here

Right now across the country the number of infections per day seems to be pretty constant for the past couple months, so R ~= 1

If masks were only 15% effective and we started using them, we'd have R ~= .85, leading to new infections halving every 2 months or so

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The best example is if you use a juul or a vape and breathe the smoke out normally and then breathe the smoke out through a mask. When you do it through a mask the visible plume goes a significantly shorter distance, which is the whole point. I can blow a plume across the room, but not through a mask. It usually lingers by your head and body where it will get stuck to you and it rapidly dissipates. The important thing is it is not immediately breathed into someone else's lungs.

This is a lung disease and the primary transfer is clearly from lung to lung so dramatically reducing this type of transmission will radically decrease spread. One virus protein won't make you get it, so you don't need a bubble; you really need a bunch of them for it to take hold in your body.

If I'm wrong who cares gently caress you masks are fine just wear one. Put a picture of a skull or a cat on it and be an individual. Buy a dozen of them from some local seamstress so you just have them everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

again, yeah, obviously do anything that is easy and helps. but what is *not* a small effect is keeping your distance, staying home when sick, and washing your hands. those are known gigantic factors.

so what i was saying is that if seeing poor mask compliance make people go "gently caress it", feel no social pressure to do anything, and thus dropping all the other efforts it can easily cause things to get worse. which is not the masks fault of course. just a disturbing quirk of psychology.