Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1272630017093140485

When you're so brokebrained by The Last Jedi that you have to leave a massive comment on a video that has absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars about how much you still hate The Last Jedi three years the first time you saw it.

Glad to see "Raped my childhood" has re-entered the collective Star Wars fandom's lexicon

(I'm not glad, I hate it; it's a gross and terrible phrase that the emotionally stunted use to explain that they didn't like a movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Glad to see "Raped my childhood" has re-entered the collective Star Wars fandom's lexicon

(I'm not glad, I hate it; it's a gross and terrible phrase that the emotionally stunted use to explain that they didn't like a movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDIClx-_pY
they claim the song is satirical

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was working on a joke about Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge took my childhood nostalgia out for a few dates or something and then realized that even a joke about the inverse still feels sleezy and gross because the phrase "raped my childhood" is repulsive on such a variety of levels its like multi-detonator landmine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

I was working on a joke about Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge took my childhood nostalgia out for a few dates or something and then realized that even a joke about the inverse still feels sleezy and gross because the phrase "raped my childhood" is repulsive on such a variety of levels its like multi-detonator landmine.

Childhood nostalgia and Mortal Kombat is a bit lol

I just love that even though it was obviously supposed to be a love letter to Scorpion, Johnny Cage still steals the show.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Childhood nostalgia and Mortal Kombat is a bit lol

I just love that even though it was obviously supposed to be a love letter to Scorpion, Johnny Cage still steals the show.

I wanted to pick something goofy for the joke and its still off, see?

Also, Johnny Cage is a hollywood actor who does all his own stunts so of course he steals the show, thats literally his job to be the most interesting person on screen at any time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Even Red Letter Media at the height of their “overlong interludes in Mr. Plinkett’s literal basement sex dungeon” phase didn’t use the word “rape” in their lone “George Lucas ruined my childhood” gag. (Which was explicitly mocking people who used that phrase for being overly dramatic idiots :ssh:)

Also for hilarious trivia purposes, the video in question that this dink left that comment on preceded The Last Jedi into the world by roughly nine months, which just makes it all the sadder.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

Even Red Letter Media at the height of their “overlong interludes in Mr. Plinkett’s literal basement sex dungeon” phase didn’t use the word “rape” in their lone “George Lucas ruined my childhood” gag. (Which was explicitly mocking people who used that phrase for being overly dramatic idiots :ssh:)

Also for hilarious trivia purposes, the video in question that this dink left that comment on preceded The Last Jedi into the world by roughly nine months, which just makes it all the sadder.

The misery that Last Jedi brings to hateful dickheads by existing and being a giant success gives me such joy.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's because the Sequel Trilogy had the build up of the WWF's mystery egg gimmick, and landed with the same grace and effect as gimmick's reveal.

There is no better wrestler than the gobbledy gooker

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

The misery that Last Jedi brings to hateful dickheads by existing and being a giant success gives me such joy.

Seriously this alone should be reason enough for any rational person to love the movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Seriously this alone should be reason enough for any rational person to love the movie

I mean, there are plenty of movies that make people I dont like upset and are also bad films I wont watch. They aren't exclusive categories.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

the opinions of toxic garbage have no effect on me, and don't have any bearing on whether or not a movie is enjoyable. It doesn't become good because there are bad people who hate it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Up Circle posted:

the opinions of toxic garbage have no effect on me, and don't have any bearing on whether or not a movie is enjoyable. It doesn't become good because there are bad people who hate it.

I'm saddened when people don't like something I really like (Picard, Star Trek, Colon), but at the end of the day my stance on them is "gently caress 'em, who cares?"

People being infinimad about The Last Jedi is loving hilariously though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

It's the opposite for me. Having to navigate around the ragemob makes discussing movies they're raging about a pain in the rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I find it funny that the only people who seem to like the movie are apparently outright admitting it's purely out of spite

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TLJ is genuinely my favorite Star Wars live-action movie. Clone Wars/Rebels remains the best overall SW experience though, imo, with The Mandalorian closely following.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find it funny that the only people who seem to like the movie are apparently outright admitting it's purely out of spite

I really enjoyed it and remember being very confused when I saw how much people really hated it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really like half of it, and the other half is entertaining enough to make up for its problems. TLJ is fine.

The whole culture war nonsense just makes it exhausting to think about.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like it out of spite towards the other sequels

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I made a lengthy post like a page ago with a paragraph devoted to how I think Last Jedi is a tour de force and the third best Star Wars movie. Being happy that it makes the biggest dicks on the planet mad is just a bonus

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Roth posted:

I really enjoyed it and remember being very confused when I saw how much people really hated it.

Haha same. Same... :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've always been up-front about how much I liked The Last Jedi. It's imperfect as gently caress but it's easily the best Star Wars anything since The Empire Strikes Back because the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff works so well. I was genuinely excited coming out of it because for the first time in forever I felt like Star Wars was interested in growing.

I wasn't surprised at the butthurt but I was really depressed at how deep the hate runs... the "bully a woman off of Twitter" deep. The surreal part is that many of the people who will unironically post about how the Prequels are Great Movies with no qualifiers will get so salty about TLJ and it's really confusing to try and wrap my minds around their perspective. I get not liking The Last Jedi because the Holdo plot is frustrating or they really hate that Old Man Luke was disappointing, but aside from the Finn plot missing a few beats the movie is really well-made on a technical level. The screenplay is organized and features good narrative payoffs for its arcs, it pays off on multiple thematic threads in harmonic ways, the actors are all committed and playing their parts well, and the visual direction is some of the strongest in the franchise. For the first time since Return of the Jedi I felt the staging was living up to the phenomenal concept art.

The line Yoda has about how "We are what they grow beyond" is legitimately profound, and it's loving heartbreaking how many people actively let that go over their head.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As one of those that dislike the film, it's annoying that the aforementioned bag of dicks poisoned the discourse with their whining about women actresses and perceived sjw agendas.

Have one woman with pink hair in a position of authority and they throw a hissy fit. loving snowflakes

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What if you don’t really like any of the sequels though?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can not like something and still assess it on technical merits. Keeping track of two assessments-- your technical appraisal versus your subjective enjoyment-- isn't some pompous, pretentious thing.

I hate Thor: Ragnarok for a load of valid subjective reasons, but objectively I can admit it's a really good movie.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 17, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weird! Who did this?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ANH > ESB > TLJ > ROTJ > TPM > the rest are all down here

fight me

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

fight me

Let's do it. Boxing gloves on the quad at noon if you're not chicken

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

fight me

Putting TPM above 'the rest' is the real crime here.

Also, unrelated, but Teagone, is it pronounced tea-gone or tea-gon-ee (like Antigone)? This keeps bugging me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Some Goon posted:

Also, unrelated, but Teagone, is it pronounced tea-gone or tea-gon-ee (like Antigone)? This keeps bugging me.

Teeg one

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My tier list:

S-Rank
The Last Jedi / A New Hope / The Empire Strikes Back

A-Rank
Return of the Jedi

B-Rank
The Force Awakens / Revenge of the Sith

C-Rank
Attack of the Clones

D-Rank
The Phantom Menace / The Rise of Skywalker / Solo

E-Rank
Rogue One

Some Goon posted:

Hah, it's pronounced "tea-gone" :)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Good: Empire

Charming and fun: New Hope

Probably okay, but I should re-watch it: RotJ

The rest are bad. Varying degrees of badness, sure, but I've recently come to the conclusion that being better than the prequels doesn't redeem the sequels. I could spend time weighing their relative merits, but they're just not worth it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm a prequel defender but yea I would have to agree that the only Star Wars I'd consider to be a legit great film is Empire Strikes Back. Everything else is either just mediocre or outright bad. The majority are mediocre though, I think the only two that actively offend me are The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best Star Wars film is the first one, so its good the franchise starts off with its best foot forward with The Phantom Menace

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
The original star wars is very much underappreciated because much of what makes it good gets carried over into the also very good empire strikes back.

Star wars hints at a larger, lived in, universe much more than empire, for one thing

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the sequels have floated very far on the merits of not being outright disasters like the prequels were. but that doesn't make them great movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggestBatman posted:

The original star wars is very much underappreciated because much of what makes it good gets carried over into the also very good empire strikes back.

Star wars hints at a larger, lived in, universe much more than empire, for one thing

I'm still struggling to put into words how ANH manages to pull off making its world feel large and lived in where the sequels just mention stuff that the audience can tell will probably show up in a cartoon, spin-off, video game or comic book.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i can understand not liking the prequels but actually thinking the sequels are better is a completely bizarre concept

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm still struggling to put into words how ANH manages to pull off making its world feel large and lived in where the sequels just mention stuff that the audience can tell will probably show up in a cartoon, spin-off, video game or comic book.

ANH didn't already have 40 years of cynical cash-ins before it was released.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lucas wanted people watching the movie to have the same feeling he did when he first saw Kurosawa films, where he was totally in the dark about the culture and customs but could still follow the human story. The other movies can never have that feeling because they necessarily have to explain a world purposefully designed to be alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

i can understand not liking the prequels but actually thinking the sequels are better is a completely bizarre concept

The sequels are creatively bankrupt, just another spectacle churned out like clockwork from the Disney movie machine. At best it can be said 'they had some cool action scenes'.

The prequels are a low point in cinema. Every minute is agony, like when Anakin is back with Padme. The closer you watch, the worse it gets. The thought of the horrific acting and dialogue-- I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the movies George should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that those movies will not become a scar. They are in the very soul of the the fandom, tormenting me. What can I do?