Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Yeeeeah. That's my biggest gripe about Ark: hard drive space.

Part of the reason I splurged on a 2TB drive for my new machine was to allow for extra bloated games.

I tried a reinstall and this time the game did not install the DLC (game folder being still 100 GB large...) but at least I can play it now.

Now, say if I want to dick around with some friends what are our options? We'd probably like to play on our own session at least for starters but rather not rent our own server. Is it just as simple as hosting a game?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Not sure if possible, but would it be possible for people to join ark servers if they play the game via Steam from or is that a no go? Because if so ya'll can join my server. Free dino included.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ok so I might have hosed up my server. I had apparently left it running the entire time for an entire 24hr period. I shut it down and am now trying to start it up again after downloading the update and it's not showing up on the server list. Any help? I tried restoring it back to an earlier point via the saved ark files, but nothing's helping.

Edit: Never mind, issue seemingly resolved itself. Not sure what it was all about, but it's done. Still looking for people to join me and offer of free dino on joining tribe.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 12, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They announced crossplay between Steam and Epic, so if you wanted to play with friends or had the wrong copy for the Chill Server, now is your chance to snag a free copy and play!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ark/home

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They announced crossplay between Steam and Epic, so if you wanted to play with friends or had the wrong copy for the Chill Server, now is your chance to snag a free copy and play!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ark/home

Sweet nice. I'll list the info on my Server shortly for anyone interested in joining it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I just added Structures Plus to our server, and it comes with that like, multi-tool pistol that lets you do some stuff, but its "convert" function seems to only work on some items. Is there, like, a list of exactly which things it works on somewhere? Like it works on my double doors, but not single doors or gates.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I just added Structures Plus to our server, and it comes with that like, multi-tool pistol that lets you do some stuff, but its "convert" function seems to only work on some items. Is there, like, a list of exactly which things it works on somewhere? Like it works on my double doors, but not single doors or gates.

poo poo I didn't even realise that's what it does. drat, there's a bunch of stuff I could've used it on instead of dismantling it. FML. As an aside, get Rafts and Motorboats Plus if only for some of the engrams it gives you like the blasting furnace(not what it's called, but the name escapes, makes metal in bulk) or the grindstone(mortar and pestle bulk upgrade) and both are cheaper than their official counterparts and require no gas to run.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 13, 2020

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I've never bothered to convert anything that I accidentally made vanilla instead of S+ since you can use the demolition gun to pick everything up modded or not. The converter bench has always been hit and miss with things too.
I just wish I could hide the vanilla ones so I didn't accidentally click them occasionally.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Depends posted:

I've never bothered to convert anything that I accidentally made vanilla instead of S+ since you can use the demolition gun to pick everything up modded or not. The converter bench has always been hit and miss with things too.
I just wish I could hide the vanilla ones so I didn't accidentally click them occasionally.
Yeah the gun works for "demolish" but not "pick up" on vanilla parts.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think the convert tool is just like the conversion bench: you have to know the S+ engram to convert.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think the convert tool is just like the conversion bench: you have to know the S+ engram to convert.

Hm. What I saw on the wiki said something about it only working for Homestead items, which would explain it working for the double door but not, say, a dino gate.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah the gun works for "demolish" but not "pick up" on vanilla parts.

Well I can't speak to all the pieces but I know at least some work because I've always used vanilla pillars and a demo gun to lower the foundations on my rafts, the S+ pillars don't seem to work as well. I usually have a bunch of vanilla stone gateway doors too because when I make a handful for penning tames I always forget to learn the S+ until after I've accidentally made the vanilla ones.
Possibly it's like the conversion bench and you have to know the engram to pick things up.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know anything about Ark, I have been ignoring it for years by dismissing it as dinosaur Rust, but it's free now so...

Is it possible to have a good experience with this game by just playing it as a 2-3 person PvE coop survival in a private game? Or is this truly like Rust in that the game is "really" all about PvP and bumping into idiot assholes on a big server?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Scoss posted:

Is it possible to have a good experience with this game by just playing it as a 2-3 person PvE coop survival in a private game?

In my personal opinion that's probably the ideal way to play the game. I don't think its quite engaging enough to play solo, I've tried a couple times. The PvP is absolute trash, don't engage with it. Don't step foot on official servers, except as a curiosity to see how bad it really is.

Check out these Single Player setting suggestions as a starting point. These will make the game bearable with less than 20 people. If this is your first time playing I would set the XP multiplier to normal and bump it up as you see fit. Eventually your level progress will feel glacial and thats when its time to start doing like x3 or x5, or even x10 as the guide suggests.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 13, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Scoss posted:

I don't know anything about Ark, I have been ignoring it for years by dismissing it as dinosaur Rust, but it's free now so...

Is it possible to have a good experience with this game by just playing it as a 2-3 person PvE coop survival in a private game? Or is this truly like Rust in that the game is "really" all about PvP and bumping into idiot assholes on a big server?

I'll forward you some settings for making the game better for single player and low count coop along with some choice mods. One thing I STRONGLY suggest is downloading the ARK Server Manager. That pretty much solves the bulk of all your issues with playing coop.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Scoss posted:

I think this is actually the ideal way to play the game. As has been mentioned, solo is rough and feels kind of pointless, while the official servers are general bittervet trashcans. Small Tribes official servers are alright, but you'll still get wiped at least once per week, which is why I prefer small, private servers where everyone can be adults.

You can also come play on the Chill Server if you want to meet some other people and see what they've made.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So with it being free and all I'm wondering - any good new player guides? Seems like there's quite a lot to the game and I'm finding myself just a wee bit overwhelmed with options.

Also, how do I join a custom server from the epic store version of the game? When I try to make a shortcut it doesn't work.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 15, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

So with it being free and all I'm wondering - any good new player guides? Seems like there's quite a lot to the game and I'm finding myself just a wee bit overwhelmed with options.

Also, how do I join a custom server from the epic store version of the game? When I try to make a shortcut it doesn't work.

You'll need to run the same mods as the server and look for the server name on the list. At least that's how I join mine. If you want a guide on leveling up fast, I'll post a link in a sec.

Level 70 in 7 minutes

https://youtu.be/U9k5AVjX0Qw

Some good early dinos are the Trike and Igunadon which can be tamed with berries and their saddles are learned fairly early level.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 15, 2020

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Igunadons are seriously overlooked as hunters. They're fantastic for early survival.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Scathach posted:

Igunadons are seriously overlooked as hunters. They're fantastic for early survival.

The infinite stamina when going 4x4 is so great. Just buff up movement speed and carrying capacity and you have an AMAZING early game pack mule for early metal runs on the southern areas. And yeah they can do some serious damage if you upgrade their attack. The parasaur is also overlooked since it doesn't have any obvious benefits except being found everywhere and being an easy tame, but their honk roar is actually phenomenal for scaring off early game pests like Raptors, seagulls, terror birds, and I think even Troodon among several others.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I had no idea they could scare terror birds off. That's hella cool.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Scathach posted:

I had no idea they could scare terror birds off. That's hella cool.

Yeah I was wrong about troodon, but it'll scare off the bulk of everything in the caves except Sarco and the giant poison lizard as well as microraptor. It'll also scare of sabertooths and Direwolves which will help a lot in The Maw and near Frozen Tooth where they spawn like crazy and you don't have a Yuty yet or something to deal with those kinds of threats.

Edit: Holy poo poo! You can apparently shoot from it's back which is uncommon on most tames.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 15, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

You'll need to run the same mods as the server and look for the server name on the list. At least that's how I join mine. If you want a guide on leveling up fast, I'll post a link in a sec.

Okay, 2nd question - how do mods work with the epic store?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

Okay, 2nd question - how do mods work with the epic store?

That I'm not sure. I know there's a system in place for mod support and like others said in the previous page, crossplay with Steam, but I'm not sure about the full details.

Ok found something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica...tm_source=share

It's for Subnautica, but should work in theory for ARK as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You need double the amount of hdd space it asks for.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i tried this game since it was free on epic for a few hours recently

i think this game kind of blows major rear end?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

i tried this game since it was free on epic for a few hours recently

i think this game kind of blows major rear end?

What map and where did you spawn? Also, PVP or PVE?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

doomrider7 posted:

What map and where did you spawn? Also, PVP or PVE?

It was a generated map. I was playing solo.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

It was a generated map. I was playing solo.

Oh, wow. I've never actually done those so I have nothing to base your experience on.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

doomrider7 posted:

Oh, wow. I've never actually done those so I have nothing to base your experience on.

What's the best map to try?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

What's the best map to try?

Most new players default to The Island as it's the most noob friendly in that it doesn't throw any curveballs your way unless you try to be a smartass and think you're tough and spawn in the northern areas(northwest is a brutal polar region and northeast is carnivore island and center north is The Maw which is not a nice place...AT ALL). The following video actually helps out A LOT in terms f getting started.

https://youtu.be/U9k5AVjX0Qw

Leveling up does not affect the difficulty in any tangible way outside of some stats upgrades and learning better engrams to make less poo poo weapons, armor and structures as well as learning how to make critical items such as the forge or the mortar and pestle which in turn will help you make the crossbow and narcotics which are the two most essential items in the game as they facilitate dino taming(Parasaur, Iguanodon, Raptor, and Pteranodon are the easiest and most essential early dinos).

Edit: The other maps aren't bad per se, but have unique gimmicks that make them way harder to play on unless you're already experienced and even THEN it's tough. Lack of water kills you FAST in Scorched Earth, Aberration, has radiation and incredibly alien as gently caress creatures and is an all around hostile environment, and I'm not familiar enough with the layouts of The Center, Ragnarok, or Valguero to give any good advice.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 17, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So the video linked earlier, isn't QUITE what I was looking for. Mostly I'm looking for a guide that might point me towards understanding which engrams to get/avoid for the various different playstyles, general tips for survival and suggested goals/milestones/etc. I'm not looking for something to hold my hand while I play, but rather a general guide as to what to work towards, and a bit of advice towards what sort of playstyles I can look forward to. Something less handholdy and more general tips and a rough idea of what direction to progress in, so I can still have my fun exploring all the options the game has without getting too overwhelmed with too many possibilities, so to speak.

For example, I started a few times and did some basic crafting, built a crappy thatch shelter and killed some various dodos. The game's art leads me to believe you can ride dinos and attack from their back, but I'm assuming that I'd need to proceed down a different Engram path if I wanted to be using rifles and such versus if I wanted to be attacking with lances and the like. Similarly, I noticed that I need lower-level engrams to unlock higher level ones but I wasn't sure if that applies to buildings, clothing, weapons, etc.

I tried fighting several dinos and ended up pretty much getting my rear end handed to me, probably because I was only using the stone spear. But a fair part of that was I wasn't sure which dinos were going to kick my rear end and which wouldn't, and the like. A couple pointers on good early-game spear targets would be handy.

I also found getting food was a bit troubling because I kept finding dodos wearing party hats that'd drop cake slices (And ONLY cake slices), but I'd have no way of EATING that cake which seems bizarre to me.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 17, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the center is, imo, the best map in the game, and it isn't even close. a lot more cool places to find, an interesting layout that is more imaginative than the island, no added special difficulties like scorched earth has, etc.

it's debatably harder than the island due to the increased level cap but quite frankly a level 120 rex is gonna rip you apart just as effortlessly as a level 150 rex so who cares, plus i've found it has more areas that are easily fortified and defended in solo play than on the island.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

So the video linked earlier, isn't QUITE what I was looking for. Mostly I'm looking for a guide that might point me towards understanding which engrams to get/avoid for the various different playstyles, general tips for survival and suggested goals/milestones/etc. I'm not looking for something to hold my hand while I play, but rather a general guide as to what to work towards, and a bit of advice towards what sort of playstyles I can look forward to.

For example, I started a few times and did some basic crafting, built a crappy thatch shelter and killed some various dodos. The game's art leads me to believe you can ride dinos and attack from their back, but I'm assuming that I'd need to proceed down a different Engram path if I wanted to be using rifles and such versus if I wanted to be attacking with lances and the like. Similarly, I noticed that I need lower-level engrams to unlock higher level ones but I wasn't sure if that applies to buildings, clothing, weapons, etc.

I tried fighting several dinos and ended up pretty much getting my rear end handed to me, probably because I was only using the stone spear. But a fair part of that was I wasn't sure which dinos were going to kick my rear end and which wouldn't, and the like. A couple pointers on good early-game spear targets would be handy.

I also found getting food was a bit troubling because I kept finding dodos wearing party hats that'd drop cake slices (And ONLY cake slices), but I'd have no way of EATING that cake which seems bizarre to me.

Sort of and yet not really. No matter what, you're GOING to learn engrams for guns at some point. Unless you add mods that unlock engrams as you level up or change how much engrams points you get per level, it's impossible to learn all the engrams, but the mind wipe tonic allows you to respec as needed though again there are certain engrams you NEED, most of which are fairly obvious ones(guns, forges, mortar and pestle, cooking stuff, etc). The expensive, but unnecessary ones are mostly saddles for things you're unlikely to ever really tame. With all that in mind, hide clothing and stone structures are some of the best early game engrams to get since they can make better armor and structures and are unlikely to be penetrated by any dino ditto for wooden spikes which are cheap to make and can kill off most anything unfortunate enough to get caught up in them so closing off an area with those is REALLY useful for keeping you safe(three sides spikes, one side ocean and you're safe).

As for combat engrams, bola, spear, and bow+arrow, will get you far at least until you can farm enough metal scrap and have made a smithy and a metal pick at which point you upgrade things to metal(pike, crossbow, metal pick). Early dinos that are easy kills for meat or simply leveling up are dilos(spit green stuff), parasaur, trilobites, carbonemys, moschops, lystro, and phiomia. Igunadon aren't too hard, but if you don't bola them they will kill you. Same applies for raptors. Do NOT approach the giant bird looking thing with the claws and if you see a smaller looking dino that faintly looks like a dilo, but moves much more oddly pausing from time to time before moving again instead of simply being in constant motion, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE. Those are Troodon and they have a poisonous bite that tranquilizes you and they tend to travel in packs. They are significantly more aggressive at night where you can see them from the yellow light in their eyes.

Some easy early goals are making a permanent or at least semi permanent base of operations where you can craft some useful items like the mortar and pestle and also setup a sleeping bed to serve as your respawn point should things go bad(sleeping bag does the same, but is single use).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

That's the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks.

Couple more question - is there a good way to deter hostile dinos early game? Like a way to scare them off without fighting, or some way to delay them so I can run? Because I keep getting wrecked by hostile dinos that see me as an oh-so-tasty snack.

Also what's a good source for hides early on? Many of the guides I read all say hunt Dodos but I assume this 5th anniversary event is loving with me because 90% of the dodos I find in the game are party dodos and I don't get meat or hides from them.

Lastly what's with the little diamond things I drop when I die? Can I just chuck 'em or what?

khy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 17, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

That's the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks.

Couple more question - is there a good way to deter hostile dinos early game? Like a way to scare them off without fighting, or some way to delay them so I can run?

Also what's a good source for hides early on? Many of the guides I read all say hunt Dodos but I assume this 5th anniversary event is loving with me because 90% of the dodos I find in the game are party dodos and I don't get meat or hides from them.

Parasaur for both. They have a special ability that lets out a honk that scares off most smaller dinos to keep them away or of not, bola them and use the axe which yields more hide. Other than that, spikes will do both since dinos that aggro onto them will keep going at them until they've destroyed them or died, often the latter. From there you can just axe away for hide and meat. For running away, 150% speed or more will make you faster than the bulk of the stuff you'll need to outrun at least until you get a tame. Until any of these can be done on a consistent basis, make lots of bolas and throw them at chasing raptors.

Don't know what the deal with the party dodos is since killing them and skinning them with the axe should still yield hide and meat(always favor hide over meat when skinning).

Here's a map of The Island.

The southern beach of the landmass just east of The Footpaw(not the lagoon, that place has Sarco which are very dangerous) makes an excellent area to establish a safe base and the mountain areas there are rich in metal. There's a section of beach in the north area of Cragg's Island just across from a supply drop that also works, but it's depending on how you look at it, the fact that Spino, Carno, Barionyx, and Therizino, make it rather dangerous unless you wall it off with spikes and stone walls, but you're close to several major taming areas as well as some good resources like rare flowers and mushrooms which you need for kibble.

Forgot to add, unless you intend to do actual PVP with people, there's no point to learning metal structure engrams unless it's part of a set(you need the metal reservoir engram for the diving tank one). The list of dinos that can damage stone is either low(total or only about 3 or 4) or said dinos are fairly passive(anky and doedis are herbivores so they won't attack unless provoked). If you're doing single player, metal is purely cosmetic.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 17, 2020

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

khy posted:

Couple more question - is there a good way to deter hostile dinos early game? Like a way to scare them off without fighting, or some way to delay them so I can run? Because I keep getting wrecked by hostile dinos that see me as an oh-so-tasty snack.

Tame some Dilos if you have them around. They are pretty easy to knock out, lower level ones you can just punch and usually don't need much or any narcotic. Once you get 5 or 6 and start boosting the HP and attack they turn into a mean little early game murdersquad to guard your area. Or just use them as a distraction to run away when something big comes.
Your best anti-dino is going to be a meaner dino. Make a taming box with a ramp up one side and a door out the other and use yourself as bait to get them to chase you up the ramp and fall in, you walk out the back and they are stuck. Then either kill it or tame it. I usually make one on a boat and run up the coasts and rivers looking for something to stop and trap.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

Tame some Dilos if you have them around. They are pretty easy to knock out, lower level ones you can just punch and usually don't need much or any narcotic. Once you get 5 or 6 and start boosting the HP and attack they turn into a mean little early game murdersquad to guard your area. Or just use them as a distraction to run away when something big comes.
Your best anti-dino is going to be a meaner dino. Make a taming box with a ramp up one side and a door out the other and use yourself as bait to get them to chase you up the ramp and fall in, you walk out the back and they are stuck. Then either kill it or tame it. I usually make one on a boat and run up the coasts and rivers looking for something to stop and trap.

This. A dilo squad is a good early game kill squad, but I usually skip straight to either a trike or Igunadon. Way more involved of a tame though since you'll need narcotics and arrows though. The box trap is one of the simplest ones to make and with a roof can also work for argy's. You'll want to make a spike perimeter though so other dinos don't interfere with the tame.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ok my server is up and these are these are the mods I have running.

1. Structures Plus
2. Super Structures
3. Super Spyglass
4. Rare Sightings
5. Super Rafts
6. Super Speedboats
7. Krakens Better Dinos

Server is Doomrider7's Domain of Death - The Island

Password is, darryl

Edit: I really loving hate all of these updates that have been dropping lately. Pretty sure that's what's loving up my servers.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Someone should run a chill server for those of us using the Epic store version until it gets fixed so it cross-play properly with steam