Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

big fan of the implication that people are only poor because they overspend on gacha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Manga is so (relatively) cheap in Japan, between used book stores and stuff like manga cafes, I imagine you've gotta be dead set on not paying squatto to not throw out some cash here and there

Especially when you compare it to, say, what music used to cost before digital came along, or Japanese physical media prices

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that one chapter of Kaguya-sama (non-spoiler for the show, so don't worry) where Shirogane actually finds it manageable to follow the one series he likes online because it costs him like the equivalent of .35 US cents per chapter.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
a shameless plug for the young jump app that was actually kinda funny

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The manga has a couple of those and it just always surprises me how effective Akasaka is at taking "shameless plug for poo poo so I don't get canned" and writing a genuinely funny chapters including them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's also much easier to pay for the official release on a lot of stuff now. While I may check some stuff out ahead of time. I tend to go to and support the official release unless there is not one.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

There’s actually a stand in Part 8 of Jojo that kinda sorta resembles It Follows. Probably unintentional though.

I know

And there is also a stand in Part 7 that resembles something from Killer Clowns from Outer Space

I'm not kidding

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also come on.

Almost every stand in the beginning of part 3 was just the plot to a horror movie.

It was intentional.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What came first, though? Castlevania I or Phantom Blood?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Wark Say posted:

What came first, though? Castlevania I or Phantom Blood?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah, summer's still coming up. I'll work on that thread this weekend, but as usual, if anyone has any thread title suggestions, I'm all ears.

Here's a heads up for what's potentially on the docket:
https://anichart.net/Summer-2020

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gonna be the thinnest season since the 00s i think, though for obvious reasons

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I'll watch Re: Zero 2 and Snafu 3 assuming they actually air

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'll probably catch Misfits of Demon King Academy, but I highly doubt it's going to be good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Deca-Dence and Great Pretender seem like the most notable new things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Down for Re: Zero and the inevitable Mother's Basement video about SAO.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Gonna watch Re:Zero season 2, what episodes should I watch of the new broadcast they did for the new content they added? Did they just add some stuff to the last episode or is there anything else I need to check out?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gotta add Millionaire Detective back to that list; the next episode airs late July.

The Black Stones posted:

Gonna watch Re:Zero season 2, what episodes should I watch of the new broadcast they did for the new content they added? Did they just add some stuff to the last episode or is there anything else I need to check out?
That's about it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't they splice in some new scenes a-la Psycho Pass New Edit for most episodes, though?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Didn't they splice in some new scenes a-la Psycho Pass New Edit for most episodes, though?
Barely. There ought to be youtube clips of those.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Summer Season 2020: A Vacation from Anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah those MAL/anichart pages are missing the postponed shows that got moved from spring to summer season like the fishing girls one. so its not quite as thin as it looks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Summer Season 2020: The Reboot of Spring Season 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my mid-pandemic season is wrong as i expected

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Great Pretender being 2 cour is good news.

Unless the animation is bad I strongly recommend God of High School. It's one of the best Korean webtoons alongside Tower of God.

Also despite the name it has next to nothing to do with high school.

EDIT: Not, one, but two monster girl harem series in the same season? How oddly synchronous

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 18, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fansubs are already up to episode 12 of Great Pretender BTW. I'm up to episode 10 and its been extremely good so far.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

do we know the release schedule for the remaining episodes? i'd like to watch but would rather wait if the second cour isn't gonna be out until fall

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Julias posted:

Oh yeah, summer's still coming up. I'll work on that thread this weekend, but as usual, if anyone has any thread title suggestions, I'm all ears.

Here's a heads up for what's potentially on the docket:
https://anichart.net/Summer-2020

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

Holy poo poo, the Deer King movie is actually coming out.

e; the only other thing I care about is God of High School, since it looks like the rare martial arts show that has some actual hand-to-hand fighting.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DecaDence is the only thing I'd say I'm especially excited for, though I'll try Great Pretender too and I'll be happy enough to pick Teibou back up.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

Unless the animation is bad I strongly recommend God of High School. It's one of the best Korean webtoons alongside Tower of God.

the pvs have had a lot of ridiculously good animation so i was gonna watch based entirely on that without knowing the series

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A Whisker Away (Satojun/Shibayama directing, Okada writing) is on netflix now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

We hereby announce that re:zero s2 is cancelled and that the author regrets ever making it. Its timeslot will be replaced by reruns of mashin hero wataru

I'd be down for that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

EDIT: Not, one, but two monster girl harem series in the same season? How oddly synchronous

I've been wondering about that, cause I feel like Crunchyroll has been pushing it hard.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've been wondering about that, cause I feel like Crunchyroll has been pushing it hard.

Crunchyroll is helping fund it so they’re gonna push it like crazy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah those MAL/anichart pages are missing the postponed shows that got moved from spring to summer season like the fishing girls one. so its not quite as thin as it looks

Yeah, I'm going to have fun cross-examining this spring and summer list, not just for new shows that never got to air, but shows that only got like 2-4 eps before being put off until this upcoming season.

Do you guys think that shows which aired a few eps, but were pulled early, should be fully included in the Summer thread OP as if they're brand new, or maybe just make a special section for delayed shows returning?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

Do you guys think that shows which aired a few eps, but were pulled early, should be fully included in the Summer thread OP as if they're brand new, or maybe just make a special section for delayed shows returning?
Put 'em fully in the summer thread. This spring was a lost season (and would be barren if not for Kaguya); let the summer give the displaced shelter.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Julias posted:

Summer Season 2020: COVID Stole Our Waifus

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Summer Season 2020: Re:Spring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tamayomi didn't live up to what I was expecting from the preview art, but it ended up being better than it seemed it was going to be from the rough first couple of episodes. I really got into it once they started playing some actual games, and the season finale could have gone either way which was exciting.

I think I actually enjoy watching baseball if it's condensed into just 30 minutes a week. I guess I should check out Princess Nine next.

Grouchio posted:

Put 'em fully in the summer thread. This spring was a lost season (and would be barren if not for Kaguya); let the summer give the displaced shelter.

That's funny, this has been the best season for me since I started watching stuff again. I found there were lots of shows that caught my interest, and this season has had a much better ratio of shows I found excellent to ones I found just okay. Different strokes for different folks.