Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he had no time for ghost fights. there were too many married women to sleep with.

He always seemed like he was the main character of a totally different seinen manga series that just happened to intersect briefly with Bleach.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thoren posted:

Entirely new studio and director has me a little scared that it wont have the same feeling of older Bleach.

Isn't that a good thing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

He always seemed like he was the main character of a totally different seinen manga series that just happened to intersect briefly with Bleach.

He's going to show up in burn the witch to explain the concept of lesbians to the protagonist and boundaries to the horny guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's gonna be real funny if btw is actually about this gormless mass of libido that no one likes.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't that a good thing

It's been a while but I don't remember the anime being poorly done or anything aside from like 49 bajillion filler episodes that everyone always pretended never happened :colbert:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't that a good thing

Bleach did a really good job with tone and differentiating characters. There's definitely a certain magic early on the anime.

Maybe I'm just a stubborn rear end in a top hat, but most continuations or remakes of once-popular anime feel soulless.

I guess HxH and JoJo are pretty good though. I have hope.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I read all of Bleach over about eight days and I enjoyed all of the stupid, of which there is a lot. My favorite character is the vizor dude who looks exactly like Super Bowl winning coach Andy Reid.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I read all of Bleach over about eight days and I enjoyed all of the stupid, of which there is a lot. My favorite character is the vizor dude who looks exactly like Super Bowl winning coach Andy Reid.

You mean Hachi? If so, then yes. He's the best Visored by default since he's the only one we see actually win a fight IIRC.

He also has one of the best masks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleach is much better when you read it after release because the pacing was loving glacial

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yeah, imagine coming back week after week thinking "Ok, maybe this fight will end this chapter and we can move on with the plot" only to find out the character on the losing end pulls out a new power out of his rear end and prolongs the fight another 2 months.

And then immediately after you move to another pair of characters and their fight :suicide:

Heck, I remember the comment section of the manga page I used to read Bleach on, the later chapters were just an endless sea of "just end this fight already for christ sake!"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 24, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Honestly rereading in one sitting the final arc is still painful, the owl and giant fight are just straight up garbage.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It helps if you're high.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
There's an official Bleach manga "re-run" on Shueisha right now.

The current chapter 67, is when Ichigo learns his sword's name.

These chapters are really, really good. The art has a certain charm to them. It kind of reminds me of those old pokemon mangas. Something imagination stirring about them.

The use of empty space was a little more conservative back then, taking up single panels instead of 2-page spreads. Also Ichigo seems way more expressive and human.

A lot of characters have these deep solid black clothes too which is pretty striking since all of the attack explosions and backgrounds are pale white.

Characters feel way more vulnerable in this period of Bleach. Urahara is forced to use his power to stop Ichigo from killing him when he finds Zangetsu. Only Kenpachi did the whole "no-sell" on attacks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Electric Phantasm posted:

Honestly rereading in one sitting the final arc is still painful, the owl and giant fight are just straight up garbage.

The owl fight is interminable but I still like Kyoraku's bankai a lot.

Giant fight is just irredeemably terrible though, not even Kenpachi's bankai can save it, not even a little bit. The whole thing with Hitsugaya's petals was a gigantic letdown too. There was a lot of points where things were just getting worse and worse (I think the point where things started going really downhill was Kenpachi vs. Gremmy) but that loving giant fight is the true point of no return. It's so awful.

I think the only good thing left in the entire manga at that point is Aizen :smug:ing at Ywach.

I will stick up for a LOT of stuff in that arc before Kenpachi vs. Gremmy, though. Rukia and Byakuya vs. the Fear guy? Fuckin' swwwwwwweeeeeet.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 29, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think that one of the reasons the last arc got so unbearable was how aggresive it was with the fanservice. You had cool parts like Rukia vs The Fear but they ended up lost between pages of "heck yeah guyz did you see byakuya doing a backflip with his eyes closed while wielding hitsugaya as a sword and landing on Kenpachi's massive donger??"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MJeff posted:

The owl fight is interminable but I still like Kyoraku's bankai a lot.

Giant fight is just irredeemably terrible though, not even Kenpachi's bankai can save it, not even a little bit. The whole thing with Hitsugaya's petals was a gigantic letdown too. There was a lot of points where things were just getting worse and worse (I think the point where things started going really downhill was Kenpachi vs. Gremmy) but that loving giant fight is the true point of no return. It's so awful.

I think the only good thing left in the entire manga at that point is Aizen :smug:ing at Ywach.

I will stick up for a LOT of stuff in that arc before Kenpachi vs. Gremmy, though. Rukia and Byakuya vs. the Fear guy? Fuckin' swwwwwwweeeeeet.

Kenpachi vs Gremmy was good though. It was the right kind of stupid.

Fear guy was fantastic and one of those fights that shows how good of an artist Kubo is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darth TNT posted:

Kenpachi vs Gremmy was good though. It was the right kind of stupid.

A lot of Bleach can be described accurately as "the right kind of stupid".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't read The Fear and not think of the MGS character going "THE FEEEAAAAAAR" so I'll just assume it was literally Rukia v The Fear from MGS3

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah As Nodt was one of the cooler villains.

He honestly should have killed Byakuya.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yachiru vs that imaginary Quincy was way cooler than Gremmy cause it was a simple concept with cool powers, but then she turned into cookies and then a sword.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah As Nodt was one of the cooler villains.

He honestly should have killed Byakuya.

I mean, he did kill Byakuya:

Kubo just then brought Byakuya back to life via retcon. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It definitely seems like Kubo wanted to kill off Byakuya and then chickened out, maybe due to editor or fan backlash. I dunno if Byakuya dying actually adds anything to the story. As is, I liked the conclusion the Kuchiki siblings got.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Killing Byakuya would've at least raised the stakes, since one of the big complaints with Bleach was how impossible it was to even put a dent in the plot armor. And just, look at him. You couldn't spread what's left of Byakuya over toast and somehow even he survived. I wonder if the idea was to have both Renji and Rukia elevated to captain status in the epilogue.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Not having Aizen kill byakuya at the end of soul society was definitely the biggest warning sign to me of what was coming, IMO

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Byakuya should have died twice in Bleach for narrative impact and yet he didn't because popularity.

Hell, Hinamori should have died twice but she didn't because that would have turned Aizen from a troll into an actual villain an Aizen was just too much popular as a troll.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hinamori's lovely life never stopped being funny.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Byakuya should have died twice in Bleach for narrative impact and yet he didn't because popularity.

Hell, Hinamori should have died twice but she didn't because that would have turned Aizen from a troll into an actual villain an Aizen was just too much popular as a troll.

Ironically, dieing would've elevated his popularity even further.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been playing the new Bleach hero collector and not unlike Naruto everything just kind of slides on like an old shoe. I wish we could have gotten the ensemble piece I think Kubo was angling towards.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I got a 5star Shuhei Hisagi drop in the game, and then noticed the novel(at least the first of the 3?) is a special game chapter, so I dropped in there, because it's a pretty dense book(whoever came up with the term "light novel" must have been a heavy reader lol) to get the plot, see the new characters and older ones with upgrades, ect.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I read this whole thread and can't believe no one mentioned when one of the villains said what we had all been thinking for many arcs:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The transition from standing in place using spirit particles to zipping around like Gokus was so fast I don't think I even noticed until now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

for some reason kubo decided ghosts couldn't float in soul society but they could in the real world for better or for worse (for worse if fake karakura town is any indication)

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

just bob posted:

I got a 5star Shuhei Hisagi drop in the game, and then noticed the novel(at least the first of the 3?) is a special game chapter, so I dropped in there, because it's a pretty dense book(whoever came up with the term "light novel" must have been a heavy reader lol) to get the plot, see the new characters and older ones with upgrades, ect.

Best thing about Brave Souls is it gives us one thing Kubo constantly denied us: a Chad that's stronger than 90% of the cast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The virgin canon Chad vs the chad mobage Chad

Thoren
May 28, 2008

pretty cool mockup

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Thoren posted:

pretty cool mockup

Not bad at all.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
https://bleach.fandom.com/wiki/Ikomikidomoe

Is named after the lyrics to the american "Dragon Ball z" intro's lyrics, 已己巳己巴

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I know that the character drawn for me in Bleach is Shuuhei, heck, I'm almost afraid to talk about him.

There are a LOT of manga, anime, ect, from Japan itself, and people too, who have met me. Sometimes in real life! Frankly, tho I know a lot of Marvel, DC and Image comics, I've come to the conclusion that I want to draw something in a very classically Japanese way. It took many years of thinking to do so, but it's a reason I don't really post in BSS much. They just don't "care." They just don't WANT to get it, so they bitch and complain about something being read right to left.

Yes, I'm an african american male in Baltimore (Kurokin Gaijuka) but I married someone into Shintoism and tho it was a hard decision, people were always honest to a T here. Sometimes, I don't even worry even when faced with "us against them" crap.

In fact, here is a recording I made showing what I think of the real weapon.

https://streamable.com/24hswh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

just bob fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what on earth