Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The sum total of the knowledge contained in those pages was "200 years ago, Dominic Deegan oracled himself to death."

About the only way they could have any power whatsoever is if the paper was made from the mummified skin of Dominic Deegan, or if the ink was made out of his blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

this is boring

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I honestly don't understand why either Arudak or the Ink Witch care what Snout thinks about this. Like, Arudak seems like he cares in a more general "sorry you got caught up in this" kind of way, which is fine, but I have no idea why the Ink Witch is so clingy and desperate for Snout's approval. Charitably I could guess it has something to do with him joining her in the weird dong void dreams, but who knows.

Right now it doesn't feel like Snout is an actual asset in any way besides nebulous magical dream destiny reasons, though. And given his vague motivation, his determination that he can't really trust either of them makes the logical solution feel like it should be "just go home, then." Or, like, find somewhere to live in mongrel town. Whatever.

I found the page where Snout says he's just here because he's "curious" really frustrating because I feel like with a character that had been given a set up that actually SPEAKS to such visceral curiosity, that exchange with Arudak could have been actually really charming. Like, having this crotchety mage charmed by this other character's innocent sense of wonder.

It's just like... Snout's starting set up and his supposed immense curiosity don't really fit together. The only hint to his curiousity in his initial lifestyle is that he likes to read books, but that seems like an origin more fitting to a character who is bound to a place by circumstance and therefore satisfies their need to explore with books and escapism. But, as it turns out, literally nothing was holding him back from traveling. He traveled here just fine, mostly on his own, and it turns out the wild edge is not actually that dangerous and is mostly just big and empty.

It seems like everything he wanted was a few days walk away and he just never bothered. It just doesn't live up to the "i'm just a really curious dude" motivation at all.

Long post because I've been following this thread for ages.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The protagonist of this story doesn't matter for the story in any way whatsoever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Riot Bus posted:

It seems like everything he wanted was a few days walk away

It's even worse than this, that passage of time while they were crossing the wild edge? Mookie's news posts suggest that took one day, one night, and basically part of the next morning. Snout was living in a suburb of Mongreltown this entire time.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
But he will matter eventually. So all characters will act like he’s important until Mookie decides he’s important. (It’s because he’s a seer I bet)

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's even worse than this, that passage of time while they were crossing the wild edge? Mookie's news posts suggest that took one day, one night, and basically part of the next morning. Snout was living in a suburb of Mongreltown this entire time.

Wait what. That was only suppose to be a day of travel. Why even bother with a traveling page.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why are you confused Snout? The story as you laid it out goes: Someone badmouthed your ork friend, the witches still worked with him to get what they wanted. Your friend was hard to deal with and wouldn't just give the witches his artifacts (the former problem of which is vague and doesn't really matter), so they stole his stuff and screwed him over.

The witches then blew up your house (and could have killed you), which I would think overshadows any shenanigans from your ork friend who thought you were working with the thieves. I mean, for awhile, you were!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drunk Theory posted:

Wait what. That was only suppose to be a day of travel. Why even bother with a traveling page.

Yup, every time you see Snout sleep is the end of a day. Four or five days have passed since the comic started.

No time has been skipped in between. The things that look like "passage of time" montages? Aren't.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 16, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

evilmiera posted:

Your friend was hard to deal with and wouldn't just give the witches his artifacts (the former problem of which is vague and doesn't really matter), so they stole his stuff and screwed him over.

I think we only know that this Ink Witch decided to steal the pages. We don't know if the other Ink Witches supported her theft, or even knew it was going to happen.

We certainly haven't seen the other Ink Witches come to her aid.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They need Snout because Mookie has a reason in mind (likely Snout is a seer) and all the characters have a psychic link to Mookie.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
By making Snout unsure of who to trust, Mookie is doing something new by having a character not know something that the author knows.

Unless the author doesn't know yet either.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It hardly matters, when we don't even know what the stakes are.

Right now the only question we've been presented is "does Snout choose to stay friends the lonely Orc, the sexual harassment witch, or does he work hard to try to befriend both?" and we know what the answer to that question will be.

It sure is a good thing for the Ink Witch that a big, stupid strong man is here to help smooth things over with her other victims.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ague Proof posted:

Unless the author doesn't know yet either.

You know the answer to that

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I felt that the dramatic face Snout was making did not fit the total lack of drama, so I decided to try a couple of attempts at this update that I feel fit cleanly with the themes of this comic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao she still doesn't have a name

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

at this point maybe she's like toad
both what she is and her name

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

Which is a real problem given we now know of a coven of ink witches. So she isn't the only one.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The protagonist of this story doesn't matter for the story in any way whatsoever.

The protagonist is actually very important and is the entire driving force behind the motivations of all the other characters. It's just that the protagonist is not Snout, it's Dominic Deegan.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

this is boring

Evergreen post here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Which is a real problem given we now know of a coven of ink witches. So she isn't the only one.

The reality is that the Ink Witch is very lonely and the only person who decided that manipulating pigments on paper was a worthwhile endeavor. She's made up this "friend" as well as her coven and is committed to the act.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know, it's not just that he's clearly giving up and relying on pages and pages of text.

It's that despite that STILL nothing is happening.

This entire page is just restating what was in the last page!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nothing can happen until there's something at stake.

Snout just spelled it out for us: the only reason why this creepy mutant dickbutt is doing any of this is because he's curious. Snout is Jar-Jar hanging out with Ink Gon Jin and Orci Wan Kenobi, his only reason for being here is to make things harder for everyone just by existing. Except at least Jar-Jar was committed to helping others against a vague conspiracy and economic blockade that was destroying peoples' lives. Snout doesn't even have that much going for him. The only thing standing between Snout and what he wants is Snout; if he fails he can keep trying as many times as he wants and the only way Snout doesn't ultimately succeed is if he loving gives up.

The comic is in dire need of a "secret infernomancer trying to destroy Dominic Deegan's legacy to prevent/ensure some future event" to lend anything that's happening a little weight and turn the question of "which of these idiots can read this $10 book first?" into something. Even if Snout doesn't know he's on the clock it would lend his constant and repeated gently caress-ups a little tension even if the audience knows he'll ultimately save the day by sticking his face in the Infernomancer's taser engine.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know, it's not just that he's clearly giving up and relying on pages and pages of text.

It's that despite that STILL nothing is happening.

This entire page is just restating what was in the last page!

Well, to be fair. This at least is a more traditional Deegan experience. Massive amounts of word vomit that amounts to nothing. Mookie is at least consistent.

And I’d love if an Infernomancer (loving stupid as poo poo name by the way. And “demonologist or warlock” is the well agreed upon fantasy term. A demon mage isn’t that special Mookie) showed up. Sure he was a lovely antagonist, but he was an actual antagonist, and was really good at chewing panel time until he was inevitably clowned on by the Deegans.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 17, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snout is Jar-Jar hanging out with Ink Gon Jin and Orci Wan Kenobi, his only reason for being here is to make things harder for everyone just by existing. Except at least Jar-Jar was committed to helping others against a vague conspiracy and economic blockade that was destroying peoples' lives a sith lord.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Drunk Theory posted:

And I’d love if an Infernomancer (loving stupid as poo poo name by the way. And “demonologist or warlock” is the well agreed upon fantasy term. A demon mage isn’t that special Mookie) showed up. Sure he was a lovely antagonist, but he was an actual antagonist, and was really good at chewing panel time until he was inevitably clowned on by the Deegans.

i keep thinking infernomancers are "really good at fire" guys

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Miss posted:

There's a point where fire heals him. He was a DND character of a friend originally, so I doubt infernomancy was anything other than goth edginess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"infernomancy" translates to "nethersight", so they're clearly creeps with an underskirt snapshot fetish

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Actually I realize now that Arudak has:

1) All the pages.
2) The $10 dream book.

So he should really just ditch before Inky can screw things up for him again. Maybe he's interested in Snout because he was seeing the dream symbols in his dreams or something. IDK.

How long before Arudak enters the dong void as well?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Miss posted:

The infernomancer did have the power to shoot fire in addition to being able to see despite having nails pounded into his eyes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

well, now i'm more confused

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Miss posted:

well, now i'm more confused
I'd say that would make a good thread title, but it'd need to be more like The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: I am confused and disgusted.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Can this comic even sustain a mock thread much longer.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The enthralling mystery of who Dominic Deegan was

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

we are all dominic deegan

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mookie is writing this out not for the readers but for himself to try and figure out how to get the plot back on track.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
For a few months I have been wondering: who is Dominic Deegan?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dominic Deegan is stored in the balls and that's why that dwarf punched him square in the nuts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mikl posted:

For a few months I have been wondering: who is Dominic Deegan?

I think this could be more wordy.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A D&D youtuber just did a video on mongrelfolk if anyone wants to know about the thing Mookie ripped off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FGiAZlHmjQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was only half-joking about us having to rewrite the comic to make it entertaining.