Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just remember the mnemonic: OS AS COMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sininu posted:

Fuuuck. I'm not a native speaker and now I'm concerned about how often I mess the adjective order up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50OXJ5AT3ms&t=8s

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is a fake rule because some dude got his panties in a bunch that English was Germanic and not Latin.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sininu posted:

Fuuuck. I'm not a native speaker and now I'm concerned about how often I mess the adjective order up. I never knew about this and it seems like a nightmare to learn if it doesn't come naturally.

Don't worry too much about it. The worst that will happen is that it will "sound weird" to a native speaker, but most will not have any idea why just that it does.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tashilicious posted:

this is a fake rule because some dude got his panties in a bunch that English was Germanic and not Latin.

is this a video complaining that "to boldly go" isn't correct english?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no it's a scene from SG-1 where O'Neill goes "You ended that sentence with a preposition, bastard!" as a nose thumb to a first prime.

and also language's only real rule is that you get understood.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah the adjective order thing is weird but it's something you can pick up from just reading stuff. Messing up the order then immediately feels wrong even if you can't quote the rule.

That's the point - if English is your native language, it will "feel" wrong even if you don't know why. If you're just learning English you will sound weird to native English speakers and have no idea anything is wrong in the first place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antigravitas posted:

Adjective order is one of the worst things, speaking as a non-native English speaker.

The next worst spot is shared by all the weird idioms, idiotic pronunciation, and the fact that on the Internet UK and US English are mixed so much it's practically impossible to not learn a wild mish-mash of vocabulary and spelling.

Hey, at least it's always before the noun, unlike in French where it's mostly after, sometimes before, and it MATTERS.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do other languages have similar rules for multiple adjectives? Searching for "$language adjective order" mostly just turns up results about whether the adjectives go before or after nouns.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the point - if English is your native language, it will "feel" wrong even if you don't know why. If you're just learning English you will sound weird to native English speakers and have no idea anything is wrong in the first place.

I know, I was saying this as an ESL. You just pick it up subconsciously. For a total beginner though, yeah it could be a (small) problem.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
"big bad wolf" breaks adjective order (size before opinion) but feels more grammatical than "bad big wolf" - the actual details of what adjective order feels right are more sound-based than definition

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
that's because Bad Wolf is the name of the character

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

that's because Bad Wolf is the name of the character

Bad Wolf was originally Baadwulf

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, at least it's always before the noun, unlike in French where it's mostly after, sometimes before, and it MATTERS.

I have suppressed most of my French, but one thing that still infuriates me is that both German and French are gendered languages that often assign different genders to the same thing. Der Mond (m) - La Lune (f).

:argh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Antigravitas posted:

I have suppressed most of my French, but one thing that still infuriates me is that both German and French are gendered languages that often assign different genders to the same thing. Der Mond (m) - La Lune (f).

if you think long and hard you'll see that the french genders make perfect sense, and the german genders are dumb as hell

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mister Olympus posted:

"big bad wolf" breaks adjective order (size before opinion) but feels more grammatical than "bad big wolf" - the actual details of what adjective order feels right are more sound-based than definition

That's an example of ablaut reduplication. Five English Grammar Rules You Never Knew You Knew gives it as an example.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antigravitas posted:

חה חה חה, I laugh at you in Hebrew, another gendered language which is also inconsistent with both of those.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ultrafilter posted:

That's an example of ablaut reduplication. Five English Grammar Rules You Never Knew You Knew gives it as an example.

I'm going to use "Julias Children" as the plural of julia child regardless, thank you

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What's the plural form of man-child?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ynohtna posted:

What's the plural form of man-child?

GBS

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Antigravitas posted:

Different words, different gender. Usually it's based on the word structure rather than the actual thing, since masculine/feminine words tend to have common constructs (which flow better with matching gender articles etc). And of course using the wrong gender just sounds wrong. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I know, but that does not make it easier to learn.

gently caress gender, it's useless.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm learning French and I promise you the wrong gender actually sounds correct about 90% of the time I have to say it out loud to remember.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Deformed Church posted:

I'm learning French and I promise you the wrong gender actually sounds correct about 90% of the time I have to say it out loud to remember.

You wouldn't feel that way if you knew the way it's spostda sound :smug:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Just remember the mnemonic: OS AS COMP.

And you can keep that in mind with the sentence:

Opinion, Size, Age, Shape, Color, Origin, Material, Purpose!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
powerful big old round green space energy ascension orb

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Tashilicious posted:

no it's a scene from SG-1 where O'Neill goes "You ended that sentence with a preposition, bastard!" as a nose thumb to a first prime.

and also language's only real rule is that you get understood.

Prepositions are perfectly good words to end a sentence with.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mikl posted:

Prepositions are perfectly cromulent good words to end a sentence with.

Ftfy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've replaced ending sentences with prepositions by getting them up out the way and using two in a row.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Prepositions are perfectly good words to end a sentence with.

It's always funny when people do the whole "you ended a sentence with a preposition!" thing because I'm pretty sure there is no native english speaker that has ever NOT done that. The contortions you would have to do with some sentences sound so much less natural.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

ultrafilter posted:

Yeah, which is why I can't help but to say slip-slap-slop, but I get angry that it's actually slip-slop-slap.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Unlike the adjective order rule which comes from linguists observing what people actually say, the rule against ending a sentence with a preposition comes from some random guy writing his dumb sentence opinions into a grammar book.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s called “anastrophe” and it’s classy.

ultrafilter posted:

quote:

After all, every second that the hand on your clock moves, it is making the same noise, and yet we say tick-tock, never tock-tick or tick-tick.

It may be the same sound on a quartz clock, but on a mechanical clock, it really does sound different as pallets of the escapement alternately engage.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Jun 17, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

90s Cringe Rock posted:

powerful big old round green space energy ascension orb
Big old, round old, green old, powerful space energy ascension orb.

Scarodactyl has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jun 17, 2020

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

if you think long and hard you'll see that the french genders make perfect sense, and the german genders are dumb as hell

In German, "girl" is not a feminine noun. Anyone who could look at that and not scrap the concept of gendered nouns from the language altogether has clearly long since gone insane.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Girl” was, in English, centuries ago, applicable to young children of either gender.

Male children were “knave girls”. Female children were “gay girls”.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

In German, "girl" is not a feminine noun. Anyone who could look at that and not scrap the concept of gendered nouns from the language altogether has clearly long since gone insane.

The thing that's most confusing about it is that for every single noun, someone had to decide what gender it was. Like some french person at some point had to say "yes, tables are women, obviously".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Do other languages have similar rules for multiple adjectives? Searching for "$language adjective order" mostly just turns up results about whether the adjectives go before or after nouns.

I believe Greek has it but I don't remember off the top of my head if and when we ever learned it formally or just instinct. And I recall learning about order of stuff for German, but that was ZAO, Zeit, Art, Ort (time, means, place) for things like "I will go tomorrow by bus to work" or something, rather than adjectives themselves.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grammatical genders aren't genders, they're misnamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

AnoHito posted:

But obviously the windows is feminine and door is masculine and cat is she and dog is he and...

Having the first language in a moon language is sometimes a boon, because there are no gendered or definite articles and it baffles me why these languages make themselves obtuse by design.