Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I will never understand these people with unlimited money deciding to spend their time like a NEET posting all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I will never understand these people with unlimited money deciding to spend their time like a NEET posting all day.

Well, she doesn't have a day job, and she's not tweeting into the void. She has a huge following, and everytime she tweets something about Dumbledore being gay or whatever, she gets millions of people falling all over themselves to tell her how great she is. That's a real dopamine hit. She tweets to maintain her celebrity and elicit praise from her fans.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't have much emotional attachment to Harry Potter left, but it's still a bummer to see JK Rowling being transphobic because seriously gently caress off with that poo poo.

Glad Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and a ton of other actors are cool though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Unlimited wealth breaks your brain. I am dead certain that if I became a billionaire, I would eventually spend my days locked in a room with a loaded gun next to me.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Livin' the dream, man.

I dunno I mean she's famous enough that she probably gets recognized everywhere, and rich enough to fear for her safety. Plus, what should she be doing? Travel? Now?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AceOfFlames posted:

Unlimited wealth breaks your brain. I am dead certain that if I became a billionaire, I would eventually spend my days locked in a room with a loaded gun next to me.

You can do that for a couple hundred

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't have much emotional attachment to Harry Potter left, but it's still a bummer to see JK Rowling being transphobic because seriously gently caress off with that poo poo.

Glad Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and a ton of other actors are cool though.

Likewise Eddie Redmayne who has also spoken out against her comments. It's pretty telling that she has been retweeting people who have called Radcliffe's comments 'mysoginistic'. Her whole argument is essentially the same old 'women will be sexually assaulted in bathrooms by DEVIANTS' one that these people always like to use. And the oh so brave feminist she mentions has equated trans to blackface as well as decrying it all as a mental illness.

And as sorry as I am that she suffered sexual assault, the timing of it gives off real Kevin Spacey coming out vibes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hugo-nominated author Chuck Tingle has come out against JK Rowling's nonsense, and if you haven't been following his Twitter, then you should because it is a precious gift to all of humanity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

And as sorry as I am that she suffered sexual assault, the timing of it gives off real Kevin Spacey coming out vibes.

There must be a category for those people who scramble for damage control so aggressively their response includes them proclaiming to the world something horrible and/or intensely personal and therefore twitter needs to be less mean to them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

pentyne posted:

There must be a category for those people who scramble for damage control so aggressively their response includes them proclaiming to the world something horrible and/or intensely personal and therefore twitter needs to be less mean to them.

Its a cynical attempt to flip the conversation absolutely and to make her immune from criticism. It really does nothing to explain her views because her views were the same poo poo evangelicals used to claim about gay people: They're mentally ill, they're coming for your children, it's just a phase really.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The one thing I see in Rowling's "essay", and any other celebrities who endlessly tweet: the absolute, desperate, clawing-at-the-walls need to win the argument, to never take the L, to self-reflect, or admit that there's more than one way to look at things. I have no idea what pushes people like her or Graham Linehan or whoever else to constantly go "no, no, no...you just don't understand. Let me, your humble creator of things lay it out for you."

Obviously that's a symptom of Twitter itself, but it's more pathetic when it's someone who could literally be doing ANYTHING else.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't know where this really belongs but uh...

https://twitter.com/Captain_Hooks/status/1271329759394328578?s=19

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

You can do that for a couple hundred

But now I don't have anything I can paranoically think everyone is coming to steal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, did we decide that comic books were on topic for this thread? Because a fresh crop of authors including Cameron Stewart and Warren Ellis are having a fresh crop of poo poo come out about them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, did we decide that comic books were on topic for this thread? Because a fresh crop of authors including Cameron Stewart and Warren Ellis are having a fresh crop of poo poo come out about them.

I can't say whether it's on topic, but I'd like to know more or at least pointed to a thread where it's being discussed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Here ya go:

https://twitter.com/avivamaiartzy/status/1272708780065796096?s=21

https://twitter.com/katiewest/status/1272837257616076802?s=21

Bunch of other industry-associated folks in the replies going 'yeah, that happened to me too'.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know Warren Ellis does some creepy stuff

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't say whether it's on topic, but I'd like to know more or at least pointed to a thread where it's being discussed.

Also being discussed here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871543&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=159

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phi230 posted:

I know Warren Ellis does some creepy stuff

He's talked about having contests with Gaiman about who could sleep with the most groupies and bragged about getting the most redheads but Neil getting all the crazy ones.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One of the first things I knew about Warren Ellis is him cybering with catgirls.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So it's hard to find a tweet not being deleted right now but apparently people are accusing comedian Chris D'elia of repeatedly seeking underage fans for sexual conduct.

It's a lot easier to find the clip of him on his podcast this year talking about how nobody in Hollywood is a pedophile, you conspiracy types are crazy! Funny, that.

Here we go. https://twitter.com/badhandjob/status/1273044281565917184

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 17, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jesus, if that's true his role in the last season of You is really hosed up. he plays a popular stand up/actor with a habit of drugging and raping his underage fans.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

So it's hard to find a tweet not being deleted right now but apparently people are accusing comedian Chris D'elia of repeatedly seeking underage fans for sexual conduct.

It's a lot easier to find the clip of him on his podcast this year talking about how nobody in Hollywood is a pedophile, you conspiracy types are crazy! Funny, that.

Here we go. https://twitter.com/badhandjob/status/1273044281565917184

https://twitter.com/girlpowertbh/status/1273036495591485441?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Katie's been deleting her stuff because Ellis fans keep harassing her. Expected but still horrifying :smith:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

He also played a pedophile on Workaholics.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I stayed up last night following the D’elia bomb because they JUST KEPT LANDING. It really popped off for me personally because I have friends in the Toronto comedy scene and basically half the women in that scene had a version of the same basic story.

Anyways this woman began aggregating as many stories about D’Elia as she could last night, I went to bed around 3 AM and she had like 35 or so different women in her thread.

https://twitter.com/sheratesdogs/status/1273215111012814850?s=21

He seems way more of a “Cosby” situation, there are stories from 10 years ago and there are stories from barely a month ago, but not a single one of these attacks happened to someone older than 19. A stark similarity to Cosby is D’Elia is very well know for his sobriety. He has literally never had a drink or drug in his entire life, so that fact that well over 2/3 of these stories revolve around blacked out teenagers is even more sinister.

https://twitter.com/sheratesdogs/status/1273057240350552066?s=21

Sorry if this is TMI but many stories contain details relating to their age, and his making them verbally confirm their ages repeatedly during intercourse. He isn’t just targeting underage women, he is celebrating underage women.

This is a loving INSANE takedown. We haven’t seen one this bad in a little while. If I’m being honest that fact that he just got a lot of money and accolades for playing a creepy entertainer who drugs and rapes his fans is truly next level psycho poo poo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's talked about having contests with Gaiman about who could sleep with the most groupies and bragged about getting the most redheads but Neil getting all the crazy ones.

drat that sucks. I like Ellis’ comics a lot, but I outgrew Gaiman after college. Honesty surprised to hear Gaiman acted that way, he’s basically a model ally these days for women and trans folk and LGBT folks and seems very happily married so I’ll hope that’s all behind him.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 17, 2020

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

drat that sucks. I like Ellis’ comics a lot, but I outgrew Gaiman after college. Honesty surprised to hear Gaiman acted that way, he’s basically a model ally these days for women and trans folk and LGBT folks and seems very happily married so I’ll hope that’s all behind him.

ummm well about that marriage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't Gaiman in the midst of a very public messy seperation with Palmer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if I believe what Ellis says about Gaiman. Have we ever heard about Neil being a creep previously?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Isn't Gaiman in the midst of a very public messy seperation with Palmer?

YUP.

Both of them aren't the greatest people out there. Quite hearth breaking considering that I love Neil's writings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought they released a joint statement (lmao) saying they weren't getting divorced.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought they released a joint statement (lmao) saying they weren't getting divorced.

They did, yes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I missed that one. LMAO. Funniest thing is that Gaiman got the gently caress out of his home in the middle of a pandemic and flew all the way to another country (that was and is getting hit hard with covid-19) just to stay away from Palmer.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 17, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if I believe what Ellis says about Gaiman. Have we ever heard about Neil being a creep previously?

I mean, there's a very, very thin line between being an outright creep and predator and being somebody in an "open relationship" (as that article mentions) where you sleep with women who are undoubtedly way younger. I'd say Gaiman's more the latter, which is still sleazy but if they're consenting adults I guess who cares? No idea what Ellis' deal is though, I don't really know anything about the guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I spent like 10 minutes looking poo poo up and yikes, I somehow never came across that Neil was not such a good person.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I used to be online friends with a young woman who was in Ellis's circle and he was very eager to befriend pretty young women, and I got a huge creep vibe off the whole thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HopperUK posted:

I used to be online friends with a young woman who was in Ellis's circle and he was very eager to befriend pretty young women, and I got a huge creep vibe off the whole thing.

I was friends with a girl back in the AOL DC chat room days and she was befriended by him. She eventually became one of his delphi forums moderators and I believe met him in person at a few cons. Lost track of her ages ago but I know she had a really bad falling out with him and I'm now curious about the details but can probably guess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, there's a very, very thin line between being an outright creep and predator and being somebody in an "open relationship" (as that article mentions) where you sleep with women who are undoubtedly way younger. I'd say Gaiman's more the latter, which is still sleazy but if they're consenting adults I guess who cares? No idea what Ellis' deal is though, I don't really know anything about the guy.

There's been a few articles about their open relationship being more his idea than something she was 100% okay with. She asked him to be monogamous while she was pregnant with their kid but that only lasted a month or so before he told her he wasn't going to do it anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Man, I spent like 10 minutes looking poo poo up and yikes, I somehow never came across that Neil was not such a good person.

No good person would marry who he married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's been a few articles about their open relationship being more his idea than something she was 100% okay with. She asked him to be monogamous while she was pregnant with their kid but that only lasted a month or so before he told her he wasn't going to do it anymore.

Eek. Well the facade may be dropping soon then, this could turn out to be a case of Neil Gaiman's public image being a "brand" he's established over the years so he can keep his cult of personality going and bed his fangirls. I mean it happens loving constantly so nothing would surprise me at this point I guess.