Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-delayed-coronavirus-1234576169/

Delayed by two weeks. Big surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Actually they just pulled it from theaters two weeks early in the tachyon universe.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

What difference is two weeks gonna make?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

What difference is two weeks gonna make?

Given US trends, Covid might get worse in that span of time.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I know Nolan prefers the traditional cinema experience but that poo poo just ain't gonna happen any time soon. I think Warner Bros should either shelve it until next year or put it on VOD for the price of a regular movie ticket. Or gently caress it, upcharge it to 20$ for rental. I'd absolutely pay 20 dogbones for the next Nolan joint. If it still comes out on the 31st there's a drive in near my house that is playing it, which is cool, but jeez.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress you Nolan, I'm either seeing this in theatres in July 2021 or on VOD, there's no loving way you'd catch me in a cinema in the next 3-6 months

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should stream it but only for VR headsets with one of those social virtual movie theater apps that lets a bunch of people watch a movie together. They can even program NPCs so you can pretend to stand in line, buy tickets, and argue over assigned seating together!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Drive-in theaters could be an option. Apparently the modern ones send the audio to your car by bluetooth.

That doesn't sound like what Nolan is going for though. And also, I'd still much prefer watching at home.

Violator
May 15, 2003

May have been discussed earlier, but I saw an article that said if this movie is released in theaters and does poorly then no new movies are getting released for the rest of the year. The brass think Nolan is a sure fire hit machine so if he can’t get butts in seats than this entire year is a lost cause for theatrical releases.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Violator posted:

May have been discussed earlier, but I saw an article that said if this movie is released in theaters and does poorly then no new movies are getting released for the rest of the year. The brass think Nolan is a sure fire hit machine so if he can’t get butts in seats than this entire year is a lost cause for theatrical releases.

Honestly I hope this happens so we get VOD for the rest of the year, this country is so loving ignorant about the 'rona and the last thing we need is more excuses for people to get into large enclosed groups on the reg.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so loving stupid I would probably double mask/glove-up and cross my fingers. But then again I live in NYC. gently caress. I really do wanna see this and I'm terrified of spoilers but also I don't wanna catch El Rona.

I won't. I won't go, no life is worth a movie. But loving hell.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Death is a pretty big spoiler, it really spoils your day

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
just rewatched inception for the first time in a decade, that movie is dumb as hell and its script sure does not add up. It hopes that zimmer's score whizzes you past the care for scrutiny by switching out narrative cohesion for a character yelling "we need to do this thing! It's the only thing that could work!" and then doing the thing intercut with mediocre action. even with all the third act nonsense, I think interstellar is the superior script. At least it just gives up and admits that it's all magic. here's hoping that tenet is better conceived.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so whats this about 9/11?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Violator posted:

I wonder what success means in this case. Inception got almost 300 million in the US a decade ago, how much of that are hoping for? 150-200? What are the margins?

Meanwhile here in :iceland: where we got our poo poo mostly under control they've decided to rerun most of Nolans movies in the leadup to Tenet. Looking forward to seeing The dark knight tonight.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Laughing Zealot posted:

I wonder what success means in this case. Inception got almost 300 million in the US a decade ago, how much of that are hoping for? 150-200? What are the margins?

Meanwhile here in :iceland: where we got our poo poo mostly under control they've decided to rerun most of Nolans movies in the leadup to Tenet. Looking forward to seeing The dark knight tonight.

It's his most expensive movie yet at $200 million: it probably can't turn a profit on less than $4-500 million worldwide.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's his most expensive movie yet at $200 million: it probably can't turn a profit on less than $4-500 million worldwide.

:stare:

What the gently caress are they thinking?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think Dark Knight Rises had a bigger budget, at $250m. It's also reported that Nolan has a 20% cut of the first dollar gross, so that's another chunk of change it needs to make.

None of his movies have come close to not making a high return and Hollywood loves to stick to what they know. I'm sure I read that part of the reason that his relationship with WB is good is because without fail he has delivered movies when he says he will and to the budget he said he would. So although $200m is a lot, they don't have to worry about it becoming $300m.

It's about time I rewatched Memento. I knew nothing about Nolan or the movies when my film-buff housemate came home with the newly released DVD. That point towards the end when you realise what is going on is one of those rare movie moments that has stuck with me. But since upgrading to a special edition dvd a decade ago I haven't actually watched it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Tenet isn't Nolan's most expensive movie, but it is one of the most expensive original movies. Avatar still has it beat by quite a bit I think.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A reported $1B for all the Avatar sequels. Given how bored I was watching the first one, I don't think I'll be making a contribution to getting that back.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christopher Nolan didn’t work on Avatar I thought

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Pablo Bluth posted:

A reported $1B for all the Avatar sequels. Given how bored I was watching the first one, I don't think I'll be making a contribution to getting that back.

A billion for the Avatar sequels? Holy moley. How much did the last two Avengers cost??

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't there a report saying that Avengers 3 & 4 cost a total of a billion, and 20% of that was RDJ's salary?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't there a report saying that Avengers 3 & 4 cost a total of a billion, and 20% of that was RDJ's salary?

No.

The last two avengers movies cost ~$300 mil and ~$350 mil respectively. RDJ got 20 million for each, and an astonishing 8 points on the back end, which means he got paid over $100 million total, but that's not the same thing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

No.

The last two avengers movies cost ~$300 mil and ~$350 mil respectively. RDJ got 20 million for each, and an astonishing 8 points on the back end, which means he got paid over $100 million total, but that's not the same thing.

Is that for End Game and Infinity War? So $650 mil total, and then you’re supposed to add how much typically for advertising? That seems like it could get near a cool bil all things considered?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The Dark Knight is still a treat to see in cinemas.

One thing that I'm never quite sure about. What exactly was Bruce doing with the concrete and the minigun in the "batcave"? Testing how the bullets shattered in different concrete?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

One thing that I'm never quite sure about. What exactly was Bruce doing with the concrete and the minigun in the "batcave"? Testing how the bullets shattered in different concrete?
It's seeing how the bullets shatters when hitting concrete so he can jigsaw the fragments he found back together correctly and get a valid fingerprint off it. It doesn't really hold up to logic; a bullet shattering is going to be a chaotic event with too many variables for useful repeatability.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/warner-bros-strongly-considered-pushing-tenet-beyond-july

:ughh:

Long story short, Warner Bros considered pushing the release back even further but Nolan keeps fighting against it and WB keeps caving because they want to keep him happy. Why is he being such an absolute loving dumbass?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

Christopher Nolan has always been a huge supporter of the pure cinematic experience and he makes his films first and foremost to be seen on the big screen and with the best sound. Nolan also has a lot of faith in the moviegoing public and that's one of the reasons he didn't want to push off of the original release date. He thinks TENET could be the film that will make movie fans be ready to get back into that communal cinematic experience once again. It's no secret that Nolan has long been fighting to make sure TENET wasn't delayed and, if it was, it wouldn't be by much. He has also been a vocal supporter of movie theaters getting the necessary help they need to stay afloat throughout a pandemic that has seen their doors shuttered since mid-March.

Maybe this is not the best way to do it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
From everything I've read and seen in interviews, I can absolutely see Nolan believing that being allowed to show his movies is what's going to save movie theaters.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is this where Nolan lives long enough to become the villain?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'll watch Tenet on my phone just to spite this fucker

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm so loving mad at this dude. 200 million dollar original summer blockbuster starring an insanely talented black actor and it's going to be loving ruined because Nolan is being a twat. JUST DELAY IT YOU MOTHER FUCKER!!!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm sure it can be done if you only have 2-3 people per row and have 5-6 empty seats per column.

Just depends if they're willing to only sell a dozen tickets per showing (lol)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Twenty-four thousand new cases of coronavirus were reported yesterday. You could offer to pay my rent for the rest of the year and I still wouldn't go into a loving movie theater right now.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Szmitten posted:

I'm sure it can be done if you only have 2-3 people per row and have 5-6 empty seats per column.

Just depends if they're willing to only sell a dozen tickets per showing (lol)

Also can't sell concessions because they need to require masks at minimum. It doesn't matter if people are sitting a few feet away from each other if they are breathing in the air in the same room for two hours or more.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

seeing this news about Nolan wanting the movie to come out sooner rather than later makes me laugh a bit because up here in :canada: a lot of the provinces have started opening larger businesses up and in my province one of those things is movie theatres "at reduced volume with masks being mandatory". I joked about it with my dad saying "what movies can we see right now? everything has either been released on VOD and blu-ray and if not then it has been delayed until late-July/early-August at a minimum"

So I guess if Nolan REALLY wants to release this movie as soon as possible, us Canadians can reap the benefits (and probably also see a spike in cases because people are dumb)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gatts posted:

Is this where Nolan lives long enough to become the villain?

If he goes to a premiere showing of his own film, I don't think so.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Nolan has been an obvious lib monster since TDKR at least. He fears and hates The People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Twenty-four thousand new cases of coronavirus were reported yesterday. You could offer to pay my rent for the rest of the year and I still wouldn't go into a loving movie theater right now.

Yeah sorry Nolan but your ego is going to literally loving kill people

So disappointing.