Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Base damage is subject to strength and skill multipliers so it should be valued more than enchantment bonuses, and more valued if you have high strength and high weapon and fighting skills. Learndb has this under slaying heuristic:

quote:

+2 enchantment is roughly +1 base damage for a 2h weapon, +3 enchantment is roughly +2 base damage for a 1h weapon. (The difference is because you'll have more weapon skill if you're using a two hander.)
As your fighting skill grows, or if you have really high strength for whatever reason, lean a little more into base damage than this - but this is a reasonable midgame prescription and lategame your best weapon is usually not a difficult decision (at least, not one that comes down to enchantment vs. base damage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Only glowing/runed weapons can have a +/-

Just in case that got missed in all the other discussion. If the weapon isn't blue (magic) or bright white (artefact), then there's no need to check it for bonuses.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Are there situations where auto-explore is flat out unsafe?

In my first playthrough it seemed like it brought me within detection distance of named mobs that conned red a few times. Ultimately my hubris was my downfall and not those mobs (and I very much understand that red-dangerous mobs can be killed while low level -- I was playing a sneak-stabber and did it a few times), but it made me question whether it was a good idea to be mashing o blindly .

all exploring is dangerous
I hate this drat game so much
add this to your rc file:

explore_auto_rest = true
rest_wait_percent = 80

also, try to get in the habit of holding shift when manually exploring - its annoying at first, but it will save lives

Charun fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 16, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Charun posted:

rest_wait_percent = 80
what does this do?

kaschei posted:

Base damage is subject to strength and skill multipliers so it should be valued more than enchantment bonuses, and more valued if you have high strength and high weapon and fighting skills. Learndb has this under slaying heuristic:

As your fighting skill grows, or if you have really high strength for whatever reason, lean a little more into base damage than this - but this is a reasonable midgame prescription and lategame your best weapon is usually not a difficult decision (at least, not one that comes down to enchantment vs. base damage).
why are damage calculations still so drat obtuse in this game? version .25 and counting and it remains impossible for newbies to weigh the difference between two weapons.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 16, 2020

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

explore_delay = -1
travel_delay = -1
show_travel_trail = true
autofight_stop = 0

O and Tab, until it is done. For all of my complaints about the game, there's no other roguelike that I can play so quickly. It's quite satisfying to recklessly burn through the dungeon.

alias O to F1 so you can play one handed

add this to o-tab conjurers:
automagic_enable = true
automagic_fight = true

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

bees x1000 posted:

why are damage calculation still so drat obtuse in this game? version .25 and counting and it remains impossible for newbies to weigh the difference between two weapons.

Honestly, the game really could use an Angband style damage calculator when you look at a weapon. You know, something like "In your hands, this weapon will deal X damage. With +Y Strength, you would instead deal Z damage." That sort of thing.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Speleothing posted:

Only glowing/runed weapons can have a +/-

Just in case that got missed in all the other discussion. If the weapon isn't blue (magic) or bright white (artefact), then there's no need to check it for bonuses.

Thanks, this is all I was looking for, I'm still at that noob stage of just grokking the rules.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

what does this do?

rests you up to 80% health before exploring. you can make it 100 if you want to play safe, but its a lil wasteful on food

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

why are damage calculations still so drat obtuse in this game? version .25 and counting and it remains impossible for newbies to weigh the difference between two weapons.

I'm still confused about damage calcs - like, when does a rapier out stab a dagger? Should I keep training a skill after I hit min delay? When, if at all, should I switch to long blades? Should I bother with quick blades if I'm mostly stabbing?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Stabbing is a whole different beast, but let's go through these points.
  • Effectively, stabbing has a damage bonus for using short blades, that's capped at 30 bonus damage. The bonus is calculated with DEX * (1 + (Stealth + Short Blades)/2), and dagger hits the bonus damage cap when this number hits 350; every other short blade will cap it out at 700. Basically it means the dagger will be better at stabbing for a long long time, because to hit the cap with other short blades you'll need something like 30 DEX and an average of 23.3 in stealth and weapon skill.
  • General rule of thumb is to stop training weapons at mindelay and start training fighting instead. This is largely because once you hit mindelay, weapon skill only increases damage and accuracy, while fighting increases damage, accuracy, and HP. The obvious exception here is that fighting doesn't do nearly as much for stabbing as weapon skill does. Weaponskill increases both the bonus damage listed above, and also the damage multiplier for stabbing, while fighting does neither of these.
  • You'l probably need to switch to long blades eventually just to deal with opponents who are heavily armored. You can't always stab everything, and it's extremely helpful to have a weapon for actual fights.
  • Quickblades are the highest DPS short blade in general, but shine when you get one with an electrocution brand. Because electrocution is flat damage instead of percentage based, it helps the quick blade deal way more damage per hit and punch through armor a bit. They're probably the most useful short blade for when an actual fight breaks out. Pain brand also kind of works this way, but the flat damage is heavily influenced by your necromancy skill so it's typically not as useful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arzaac posted:

Pain brand also kind of works this way, but the flat damage is heavily influenced by your necromancy skill so it's typically not as useful.
There's a fairly strong argument to be made for worshipping Kiku as a stabber (at least for a while) just for the guaranteed pain brand.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Huh, I've never done that but I guess it makes sense. Necromancy is a pretty good spell school too, so it's not like you're wasting experience going down that road either.

At any rate, the important thing to keep in mind is that Pain isn't going to be as good as Electrocution until something like 10 Necromancy. And they've got different resistances, so it's honestly nice to have both if you can somehow manage that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I’ve never ascended one, because I’m bad at stabbers, and I don’t know how it’d handle Tomb, but it’s fun midgame.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I like training weapons a few levels beyond mindelay in case of drainage

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arzaac posted:

Stabbing is a whole different beast, but let's go through these points.
  • Effectively, stabbing has a damage bonus for using short blades, that's capped at 30 bonus damage. The bonus is calculated with DEX * (1 + (Stealth + Short Blades)/2), and dagger hits the bonus damage cap when this number hits 350; every other short blade will cap it out at 700. Basically it means the dagger will be better at stabbing for a long long time, because to hit the cap with other short blades you'll need something like 30 DEX and an average of 23.3 in stealth and weapon skill.
  • General rule of thumb is to stop training weapons at mindelay and start training fighting instead. This is largely because once you hit mindelay, weapon skill only increases damage and accuracy, while fighting increases damage, accuracy, and HP. The obvious exception here is that fighting doesn't do nearly as much for stabbing as weapon skill does. Weaponskill increases both the bonus damage listed above, and also the damage multiplier for stabbing, while fighting does neither of these.
  • You'l probably need to switch to long blades eventually just to deal with opponents who are heavily armored. You can't always stab everything, and it's extremely helpful to have a weapon for actual fights.
  • Quickblades are the highest DPS short blade in general, but shine when you get one with an electrocution brand. Because electrocution is flat damage instead of percentage based, it helps the quick blade deal way more damage per hit and punch through armor a bit. They're probably the most useful short blade for when an actual fight breaks out. Pain brand also kind of works this way, but the flat damage is heavily influenced by your necromancy skill so it's typically not as useful.

Wait, how is stabbing capped at 30 damage? Last time I ascended a stabber I one hit killed many monsters with way more than 30 hp and took out about 2/3 of Gloorx Vloq's health bar

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait, how is stabbing capped at 30 damage? Last time I ascended a stabber I one hit killed many monsters with way more than 30 hp and took out about 2/3 of Gloorx Vloq's health bar

This definitely seems fishy. I've one-shot the Royal Jelly before with a stab, which by the way if you haven't done it, is extremely hilarious.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's because it's not just the damage bonus. The damage bonus is something calculated only for short blades, and is capped at 30. This is then followed by a stabbing multiplier, which is why stabbing damage gets so ludicrous. Hitting a paralyzed enemy while you're at max Stealth/Short blades can result in a 1102.5% damage bonus.

The bonus, as far as I can tell, is mostly there to ensure Short Blades are actually better at stabbing than the other weapon types.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've 'stabbed' Cerebov with the dark maul before.

That was funny.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Short blades get a flat damage bonus to stabs that caps at 30, which is then multiplied by the stabbing multiplier. The flat bonus is one of the very few things in the game that’s not random, which is why tier 1 stabs are a guaranteed one-hit kill against anything at high levels. If stabs only used your weapons base damage and applied a multiplier, you could still roll a 1 for damage, and barely scratch your enemy.

Stabbing is more complicated than other play styles. And it’s deceptive for new players. The assassin class, for example, is not a stabber. You need spells to back you up and let you disable targets. Enchanter is the archetypal stabber, though other classes can branch into it fairly early (particularly earth elementalist).

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Thanks for all this info!
I'm not really into the brute fighter so I started stabbing with an octo + Dith as I liked the idea of being a tentacle monster emerging from the shadows, but got a bit frustrated, so I tried a mage instead and found myself tending towards stabbing anyway.

Now I'm playing spriggan enchanter with the Wu Jing and it's awesome. Nothing can touch me unless I let it, and then I die.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

I started stabbing with an octo + Dith as I liked the idea of being a tentacle monster emerging from the shadows
Now I kind of find myself wondering how the Stabbing skill interacts with Blade Hands, because yeah, that sounds fun as hell.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of the best races for stabbing is Vinestalkers, because they benefit a lot more from fast attacking weapons due to their antimagic bite.

Every time they attack, they have a chance of biting the target. This applies antimagic effects and restores mana, and they also have spirit shield innately. Between this and their obscene health regeneration, Vine Stalkers are extremely difficult to kill. If they they have a Quickblade and access to Haste, they can attack every 0.2 AUT, each time having a chance to proc their bite and restore magic that is used as a shield.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

One of the best races for stabbing is Vinestalkers, because they benefit a lot more from fast attacking weapons due to their antimagic bite.

Every time they attack, they have a chance of biting the target. This applies antimagic effects and restores mana, and they also have spirit shield innately. Between this and their obscene health regeneration, Vine Stalkers are extremely difficult to kill. If they they have a Quickblade and access to Haste, they can attack every 0.2 AUT, each time having a chance to proc their bite and restore magic that is used as a shield.

They look cool. I might try them once I get a bit better at the game - I'm still relying heavily on the ability to just run away from anything dangerous

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vinestalkers are one of the best races but definitely tricky if you don't lean into their perks and know ways to get around their lack of device healing.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Vine Stalker answer is never be a blaster mage and always be worshipping Ru.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

The Vine Stalker answer is never be a blaster mage and always be worshipping Ru. Uskayaw.

but really, so should everyone

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*laughs in gozag*

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I'm going to do a vine stalker as my next character. Been a long time and as much as I love playing Abominations it is time for a switcheroo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I enjoy going VsBe to get a pile of quick blades early on, and then transitioning to Zin for the end game.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

my preferred VS loadout is demon whip + shield + midweight armor.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Decided to give .25 a shot, wanted to feel out the current state of evoking. HuAr. Decided to worship Hep, bad idea: boots of running meant my dude could never keep up and he didn't often survive the tremorstone spam.

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/beesx1000/morgue-beesx1000-20200618-002820.txt

got some good drops, was facerolling the bottom of vaults when

quote:

46658 | Vaults:5 | Paralysed by a sphinx for 7 turns
46665 | Vaults:5 | HP: 4/189 [titan (22)]
46666 | Vaults:5 | Killed from afar by a titan
Bad MR roll took me from full health to nearly nothing. Blinked as soon as I could move, but got sniped anyways. Oh well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Secret follower tip: ctrl-e makes autotravel pace itself to your slowest follower. Useful for yred, hep, beogh, and more!

Note this doesn't apply to manual movement, so runboots/etc aren't a waste.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Something I always thought was cool about the original Crawl were the races that changed the rules of gameplay in a substantial manner, such as ghouls which didn't starve but could rot and mummies which traded the ability to drink potions for the ability to eventually grind to maximum level in every skill due to having no food clock (back when that was a real hindrance and mattered.)

Gooncrawl has been pretty good about including things like that, like the Djinn which joins MP and HP into a single shared thing, but maybe we could have more? I would invite everyone to give suggestions, just throw things at the wall and see what sticks. Something that I have been thinking about is a race which doesn't level up, but instead has an ability to permanently gain single points of maximum HP or a randomly chosen stat on killing an enemy. It would take some fiddling with the proc rates to make this work out to about the same-ish power level that other races reach by endgame, but I think it would be possible to make that work.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sil did something similar; a bunch of veteran players did self-challenges, and one guy modded the starting xp to something huge but made everything drop 0x afterwards. So like you start at clvl15 and can assign your xp from there, but that's it - you're done, you have to scavenge from the floor and use your wits to clear zot. Allows for some interesting builds (or it did in Sil, at least) as the early game is irrelevant and you can jump strait to hyper specialized builds that you can't normally build into, eg all xp into invo+evocations.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

I think an options screen which exposes the rc options (or at least a template rc file) would be a helpful feature for newbies

Also, can someone give me tips to deal with the animated weapons in elf? They're immune to all my enchantments, hit me pretty hard, and are stupid fast. At the moment, I'm just spending all my wands on them.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Charun posted:

tips to deal with the animated weapons in elf?

They're pretty tricky if you're not a pure blaster or pure melee-blender, and I've found that 1) they're often well-worth using some resources on, like evocables or piety, dependent on your situation, and 2) the Hall of Blades in particular is best Left The gently caress Alone unless/until you want to trawl it for a quickblade, lajatang, or exec axe, and if you're not built for pure non-elemental damage output, maybe not even then. At least elves respond to poison and trickery.

Granted, I'm especially bad at the parts of the game that matter, but I feel like the HoB threatens me existentially more often than even the end vault does.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sounds like you're an enchanter; I don't think they see invis so that's a good option for stabbing or facetanking. Other options include burning consumables as you're doing, or just not clearing the minibranch as it's eniterly optional.

edit: tukima's dance!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, there's really no good way to deal with them other than to have something that can affect them and hits hard and fast enough. As a primary enchanter, you're really just kind of boned there.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Serephina posted:

Sounds like you're an enchanter; I don't think they see invis so that's a good option for stabbing or facetanking. Other options include burning consumables as you're doing, or just not clearing the minibranch as it's eniterly optional.

edit: tukima's dance!

if they're susceptible to tukima I'm gonna :ughh:

edit- nope, no worky

invis should be doable, always forget about that when I don't have an evokeable for it. Thanks!

Charun fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I tend to either get a good long blade or else pick up Iron Shot or a similar spell on my enchanters, and dancing weapons are one of many reasons why.

Enchanters need a backup plan for stuff with too much MR to enchant, and it's a good idea for that plan not to be elemental damage since a lot of stuff with ludicrous MR also has a bunch of other resists(and as you get deeper in the dungeon, that stuff also tends to see invisible).