Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

again, yeah, obviously do anything that is easy and helps. but what is *not* a small effect is keeping your distance, staying home when sick, and washing your hands. those are known gigantic factors.

so what i was saying is that if seeing poor mask compliance make people go "gently caress it", feel no social pressure to do anything, and thus dropping all the other efforts it can easily cause things to get worse. which is not the masks fault of course. just a disturbing quirk of psychology.

Oh yeah I agree with this. I still think it is mostly that the government and media have overall trumpeted the Reopening Of The Economy and so everyone feels like it must just be safe to go back to doing their normal consumerist stuff and their lives should go back to their perfect rut they've worn, but yeah seeing no one else wearing a mask does only work to reinforce that.

I guess we are going to see if people really do care about mass death, because 100k is going to look like a wonderful fantasy in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, didn't read the post well enough, just closing borders is perfectly doable yeah. i thought you were clamoring for police marching the streets to keep people in their homes, which would help a lot but requires a capability which is a bit scary to have.

enforce random spot checks where if they knock on your door and you’re not there then you’re busted

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Stereotype posted:

If I'm wrong who cares gently caress you masks are fine just wear one. Put a picture of a skull or a cat on it and be an individual. Buy a dozen of them from some local seamstress so you just have them everywhere.

A sizable proportion of Americans are ruled by oppositional defiance disorder and have no higher motivation than to scream "gently caress you, you aren't my dad" at anyone who suggests they do anything whatsoever no matter what it is. That proportion of Americans is large enough to control national politics. As a national force we are done.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

places with better mask compliance probably have lower rates because the people willing to wear a mask are also willing to do other stuff for the greater good, like not leave the house unless its necessary or whatever

I'm sticking to the asian grocery stores where they wont let u in if u dont have a mask

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

places with better mask compliance probably have lower rates because the people willing to wear a mask are also willing to do other stuff for the greater good, like not leave the house unless its necessary or whatever

I'm sticking to the asian grocery stores where they wont let u in if u dont have a mask

Local grocery store chain Giant Eagle is facing at least seven lawsuits because they're not letting people in without masks. It's absolutely insane. It's more important for these people to pick fights than it is to live.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Local grocery store chain Giant Eagle is facing at least seven lawsuits because they're not letting people in without masks. It's absolutely insane. It's more important for these people to pick fights than it is to live.

honestly if not for all the essential employees i would be incredibly supportive of the death cult doing their thing and clearing up more jobs for millennials (and now some gen z) to finally have a shot at. You really wanna die for applebees? sure mate go for it be my guest, i could use another promotion anyways.

but instead its mostly nuking minorities and the poor and not as many boomers as initially expected

Apr 7, 2003

I can't find the article now, but about a month ago the WaPo published a bit about a high-end shopping area opening back up again in Marietta Georgia once the rich white people there figured out that it didn't seem to be killing them. One of the guys being interviewed outright says that it "affects other people." Infuriating.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

every time i visit my relatives in the carolinas they warn me not to speed in virginia

this is because virginia has two particular rules about speeding:

1) going 20 miles an hour over the limit is an automatic roadside vehicle impoundment + up to 6 months in jail

2) in addition to the absolute speed limits, the police can at their discretion determine that you were speeding if you were driving too fast for the conditions. so for instance if you're going 60 but it's december and there's a light dusting of frost on the ground, and the virginia pigs decide that the appropriate speed for this dangerous snow-covered road is 40, see point #1

it’s automatic reckless for going 20 over, or anything over 80. there is no automatic impoundment. and you’ll likely get pled down to 19 over and have to do traffic school.

the over 80 bit gets a fair bit of folks, because in a lot of places interstates in VA have a speed limit of 70.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

A sizable proportion of Americans are ruled by oppositional defiance disorder and have no higher motivation than to scream "gently caress you, you aren't my dad" at anyone who suggests they do anything whatsoever no matter what it is. That proportion of Americans is large enough to control national politics. As a national force we are done.

i'm kind of off on a tangent here, but this absolute twit i know posted this on fartbook

what??

Apr 7, 2003

They're applying trigger words to things they don't like, it's what they've been conditioned to do and the end goal of conservative politics in the US. Identify a word with bad things your base doesn't like, and attach that word to everything you want them to react against.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's more important for these people to pick fights than it is to live.

this is the moral of almost every action, fantasy, or sci fi movie and book that includes impossible forces like aliens, a disaster, or any type of invader in North America where it is better to die rebelling than lose a small amount of freedom.

it’s in retrospect no surprise that this is how people react after having been forced to digest propaganda like that for decades. Where are the movies or books where it’s people banding together that achieve things? They exist but are extremely rare and the whole cultural ethos of western fiction is lone hero doing the right thing against all odds (and other people)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MononcQc posted:

this is the moral of almost every action, fantasy, or sci fi movie and book that includes impossible forces like aliens, a disaster, or any type of invader in North America where it is better to die rebelling than lose a small amount of freedom.

it’s in retrospect no surprise that this is how people react after having been forced to digest propaganda like that for decades. Where are the movies or books where it’s people banding together that achieve things? They exist but are extremely rare and the whole cultural ethos of western fiction is lone hero doing the right thing against all odds (and other people)

what about the avengers

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also it's a ridiculously small sample size, but it was interesting that the 4 books I read that were translated from Chinese (romance in the three kingdoms, and the three body problem trilogy) had plot structures that extended way beyond the scope or lifetime of major characters and it was just expected that the series of events was bigger than their protagonists. It's a structure I haven't seen a whole lot otherwise but it was kind of glaring right then.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

in some cities in china, they not only require you to wear a mask but every business has to take the temperature of everybody that enters, write down their name and phone number beside the recorded temperature in a log book

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MononcQc posted:

reminder to anyone itt who hasn't seen chernobyl yet that you need to watch chernobyl because it's extremely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctLdHKbJgk

Apr 7, 2003

Don't sleep with Ukrainian women. Chernobyl Fallout!

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

fart simpson posted:

in some cities in china, they not only require you to wear a mask but every business has to take the temperature of everybody that enters, write down their name and phone number beside the recorded temperature in a log book

if you sit down at a restaurant here (usually outside) or get a haircut, you have to write down your name, address and phone number, too

i bet chuds would have a collective meltdown about this, right before exchanging their personal information for reward points

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i can’t help but think that all of the postwar prosperity that a lot of these people enjoyed has a lot to do with this attitude. in short, they’re spoiled.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

i can’t help but think that all of the postwar prosperity that a lot of these people enjoyed has a lot to do with this attitude. in short, they’re spoiled.
good news! it will be several generations before we have to worry about that happening again

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

reminder to anyone itt who hasn't seen chernobyl yet that you need to watch chernobyl because it's extremely good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctLdHKbJgk

It's one of the best tv shows ever IMO. The companion podcast is also very good at covering all the artistic liberties they took on a per-episode basis, in terms of replacing or creating characters to play roles that weren't in the real world, and it's decent way to figure out where fact diverges from fiction when you haven't spent time reading 2-3 books on the topic on the side.

Around the current argument, even if it's not fiction, it does a fantastic job of showing "well we're hosed, now what?" and having an endless parade of regular people working at it and fixing things with great personal sacrifice. It doesn't really have central heroes even if it has a few main characters, and it doesn't shed its heroes by just placing an anti-hero in there instead whose role is to smash everything. It just has a lot of people turning out to do heroic stuff, and that's probably part of why it feels like such a fresh take on everything.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

re masks turns out there’s strong evidence for their effectiveness:

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0203/v1

here’s a v good article on the chernobyl show:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-hbos-chernobyl-got-right-and-what-it-got-terribly-wrong

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MononcQc posted:

brb off to write my ya trilogy about how benevolent aliens arrive and say you guys are gonna clean up your act and give us all their technology and usher us into a golden age but it's all public transport, vegetarianism, and equality and the entire world gladly accepts except for the us which is in ruins fighting an unwinnable war to hold onto our terrible way of life. eventually we win and plunge the planet into a new dark age and we're thrilled to do it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

PCjr sidecar posted:

re masks turns out there’s strong evidence for their effectiveness:

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0203/v1

holy poo poo

comment on that article posted:

This article completely fails to consider the costs of mask-wearing. There's a reason why we don't do this. It impairs our quality of life. We like to feel fresh air on our faces. We like to go out and see people. We like to be able to talk to people unencumbered. We like to be able to see people's expressions, their smiles.

Sure, make a judgement about the relative benefits and harms of mask-wearing. But don't purport to be writing some kind of rational appraisal while completely ignoring the obvious loss of quality of life which universal, permanent mask-wearing would entail.

Apr 7, 2003

You know what really fucks up your quality of life? Dying

Apr 7, 2003

lol someone covered that in those comments already:

quote:

I think the article is solid. As for the comments from D Curtis re quality of life, what he appears to have overlooked is that none of the lovely experience he lists are likely to be experienced by someone who is dead or stuck in hospital on a ventilator for weeks on end. Nor does he appear to realize that masks are to protect others. I guess Curtis lives in a country where only 'me' counts. I wonder where that might be?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my covid test came back negative. yay.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

hell yaeh 50% chance you dont have corona

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

my covid test came back negative. yay.

mine too, that means I'm allowed to go to the dentist :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You know what really fucks up your quality of life? Dying

quantity has a quality all its own. alternately: live a little. very little.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

mine too, that means I'm allowed to go to the dentist :smith:

mine was rescheduled to like september

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i shouldn't be surprised but i'm still disgusted

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1272958447986839554

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking forward to nobody facing any consequences

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they've also been murdering poo poo tons of pigs by basically steaming them to death

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

steamed hams comfirmed

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

they've also been murdering poo poo tons of pigs by basically steaming them to death

woo direct action!

Oh pigs pigs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MononcQc posted:

Also it's a ridiculously small sample size, but it was interesting that the 4 books I read that were translated from Chinese (romance in the three kingdoms, and the three body problem trilogy) had plot structures that extended way beyond the scope or lifetime of major characters and it was just expected that the series of events was bigger than their protagonists. It's a structure I haven't seen a whole lot otherwise but it was kind of glaring right then.
I should probably read a canticle for leibowitz again, yeah

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah it’s basically “welp your life is commodified already and capitalism in its infinite wisdom overproduced so we need to split our losses because we can’t sell you and it costs money to keep you around so we’ll find the most cost effective way to mass execute you”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Fool posted:

locally, almost every recovered stolen car that I'm aware of has been because the owner of the car went out looking for it and called the cops when they found it

the only case where that's not true is an incident where they were doing a drug raid and we like 'oh hey, this guy has 20 cars on his lot, maybe we should run the vins'

the cars were not hidden in any way

gta has depicted cops as far more competent then they deserve

NoneMoreNegative posted:

woo direct action!

Oh pigs pigs

ford doing their part too